PDA

View Full Version : Wish I was eligible

Mytical
04-05-2011, 07:40 AM
This is something not many may hear often. The place I work at (not for..it's complicated) gives away a lot of nice stuff to their employees. Since I work for another company (ie I am basically a contractor employee) I am not eligible.

They give old computers. By old I mean top of the line models from 3 years ago. Now sure they may be obsolete, but they didn't skimp on anything, so for their time they have the most Ram, best graphics cards, etc. Whenever they upgrade they just give the employees the old ones. For FREE. (What is not taken is recycled or given to schools/etc..this is to save on haul away/disposal fees).

Shirts, water bottles, recently they even had a 'contest' of some sort and gave away a 72" HD TV!

Little ol me isn't eligible though, I just get to be the one handing out the stuff normally.

Sheldonrs
04-05-2011, 07:13 PM
Are you good friends with any of the employees? Maybe they could get some stuff and give it to you.

wagegoth
04-05-2011, 10:58 PM
Are you good friends with any of the employees? Maybe they could get some stuff and give it to you.

Sheldon's got the right idea. I've entered contests at work and given the items to the employees who really wanted them. Someone might do it as a favor.

bainsidhe
04-06-2011, 12:45 AM
I second the idea of making nice with fellow employees. I love my perfectly basic, 4yr old ancient computer, but dang I'd switch in a heartbeat for something nicer. Good luck!

Mytical
04-06-2011, 04:00 AM
Unfortunately I could get fired if I accepted anything, as I am in security. We are not allowed to accept any 'gratuity'..similar to the rules that apply to police officials. I've had offers to do just that (ie get something and give it to me), but had to turn it down. Not even from management or such. So that I don't 'look the other way' if they try to make off with something they shouldn't.

bainsidhe
04-06-2011, 11:39 AM
That sucks. Boo.

wagegoth
04-06-2011, 06:16 PM
Bummer.

I work in a law fim and we pretty much can't accept anything from clients or vendors.

surreal20
04-06-2011, 06:47 PM
Awww, that sucks :( I mean, i applaude that you are very professional about it. A lot of people would do it regardless of rules and what not...but it still sucks :(

MoonCat
04-07-2011, 02:13 AM
The computer deal sounds good. What if you bought one for, like, $50, from someone who took one? Off the premises, as a private transaction? Or would that still be a problem?

Mytical
04-07-2011, 05:48 AM
Since there is no rule about buying something from somebody, I guess it would be acceptable. Might have to check into that.