PDA

View Full Version : Random music

fireheart
04-08-2011, 12:46 PM
Today at work, because none of the Big Management Folk were at the store, we decided to have a little fun. So the produce manager hooked his iPod up to the stereo system with a playlist that they'd created, with some pretty decent stuff playing.

We had a mix of 80's, 90's and modern stuff playing over the PA....and then all of a sudden, a very familiar tune starts playing over the PA....:roll:

THIS SONG! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gXk8y7_qxY)

Yes it's work safe. It's the Thomas The Tank Engine theme song. Which started playing for about a minute over the PA. We all just found it hilarious.

RecoveringKinkoid
04-08-2011, 01:53 PM
We used to play a game at Kinko's with the muzak. We'd set it on a station...usually 80's...and then you challenged someone to name the song and the band by stopping and pointing to the ceiling (where the speakers were located.).

The faster they could fire off the info, the better. It was preferable you do it before the chorus. Usually, we only bothered with the more obscure songs, B sides, one hit wonders, etc. Or if we didn't think the person we challenged would know the name of the band.

One of the guys, who was the best player, would sometimes up the ante by going "Okay, what MOVIE did this song get used in?" He was young enough that his skill with this game was surprising, since he was just a baby during the eighties. I mean, I was in college during this period, and very into music and was very very good at this game. He was better than I was at it. :lol:

Me and some of the older guys would get sick of losing to him sometimes and crank it back to seventies. :lol:

mlmama
04-08-2011, 03:15 PM
Oh wow. That made me tear up remembering watching that with my son. Dang, he's 18 now.

AccountingDrone
04-08-2011, 05:21 PM
I can remember the Name that Tune game show on TV ...

They had people who were identifying classical music with like 2 or 3 freaking NOTES, :eek:

I am pretty good with rock and rock and roll from say mid 50s through mid 70s, and then sort of skipping around the 80s and 90s. And a fair amount of classical, jazz, big band and american folk, I am pretty eclectic. I dont like the really whingy country, country western, and the ultra nasty violent rap/urban crap.

Jay 2K Winger
04-08-2011, 05:29 PM
My mother will do this sometimes to my dad while we're driving in the car. They'll be listening to some oldies station and she'll go "Artist and year." And Dad has to try to remember.

fireheart
04-09-2011, 01:55 AM
Oh wow. That made me tear up remembering watching that with my son. Dang, he's 18 now.

Yeah we were all reminiscing about it. It was just funny hearing the Thomas tune when we'd been hearing dance music all day. :p

Racket_Man
04-09-2011, 05:37 AM
what is really fun is when I make up a compilation CD of stuff I like and put it on at work. now the stuff I like is 70's rock (and not obscure stuff either). now some of the younger crowd (mid 30's) "claims" they know this era.... UNTIL I throw my stuff in. I ask the question "Who is this????" and get some wildly variable answers that are nowhere near correct

fireheart
04-10-2011, 12:50 AM
I would've stuck some Skyhooks in. :p

mattm04
04-10-2011, 03:53 AM
My mother will do this sometimes to my dad while we're driving in the car. They'll be listening to some oldies station and she'll go "Artist and year." And Dad has to try to remember.

RDS is your friend, for the artist at least;)

Geek King
04-11-2011, 01:46 PM
I would've stuck some Skyhooks in. :p

Mott the Hoople and Slade. Both have been covered so many times, almost no one gets the artist right on the first try. :D

Jay 2K Winger
04-11-2011, 04:39 PM
RDS is your friend, for the artist at least;)

You misunderstand, this isn't a "Ooh, I forgot who sang this, what's the artist?" thing, it's a "Challenge issued: name the artist and year!" thing.

Syriilord
04-12-2011, 10:16 PM
Considering I mostly listen to Japanese music (a lot of it being really sugary pop stuff), I don't think my coworkers would appreciate me pulling the name the artist thing :devil:

fireheart
04-13-2011, 04:50 AM
Considering I mostly listen to Japanese music (a lot of it being really sugary pop stuff), I don't think my coworkers would appreciate me pulling the name the artist thing :devil:

I have a mix of decent stuff, NSFW stuff and J-Pop.

NSFW stuff is mainly Avenue Q and Tim Minchin XD

Alryk
04-13-2011, 04:12 PM
If you have a PA you should blast 'Look on the Brighter Side of Life'. The song from the end of the Monty Python movie The Life of Brian. The whistling alone will make people wonder what the hell is going on.

Syriilord
04-14-2011, 02:34 PM
Truth be told, I'm kinda tempted to put Johnathan Coulton's Re: Your Brains on a repeating loop over a shopping centre's PA. Just once... :D

Bella_Vixen
04-17-2011, 02:28 AM
My brother in law and I once played Name That Song in 3 Notes or Less.

I kicked his ass at it. Average time for me to name that song? -1 note.

(Becks, how old is Kevvie, anyway?)

Becks
04-17-2011, 04:10 AM
Lizziebeff, I'm guessing in his 40s, maaaaaaaaaybeeeeeeee early 50s, but I have never known his exact age.

Mytical
04-17-2011, 08:59 AM
I would recognize the song (most likely) but never be able to name it or the artist. Even if I have heard it a zillion times. I fail at name that tune.