PDA

View Full Version : Scorpions? WTF???

bhskittykatt
04-15-2011, 06:50 PM
Okay, so our motel is in the great Pacific Northwest. Where it is cold and wet. Where it is the exact opposite of a desert. Which is why when housekeeping found a living baby scorpion in the room, we were all hit with a serious case of :wtf:

Now, I am deathly afraid of scorpions. That's half the reason I live here. There are not supposed to be scorpions here. So when my Maintenance Man brought in a baby scorpion in a plastic cup and told me to call pest control, I was obviously freaked out.

Me: Get that thing away from me.
CW: *hands me cup* It's in a cup, it can't hurt you.
Me: *pushes cup back* Yeah, well I don't like scorpions.
CW: You need to call pest control.
Me: I know, I got it. Get that thing out of here. I...really...don't...like...scorpions
CW: *tries to hand me cup* You need to tell them what we found.
Me: OKAY I F***ING GOT IT! IT'S A BABY SCORPION I DON'T NEED IT TO TELL THEM WHAT IT IS!!! SERIOUSLY GET THAT THING THE F*** AWAY FROM ME!

Yeah, I snapped. I don't like scorpions at all. It was all I could do to keep it together the first time they tried to pass it to me.

I could not find the number for our pest control guy (it's a new vendor), so I got bounced around a bit before I got a hold of the right person. Everytime I told them what it was we found, they were all WTF? as well. When I finally found the right lady, she said "Well...I don't know if that's a pest that's covered under our contract...that is definitely a new one." Please, just send someone to make sure there aren't any more of these...things...loose around here!

Obviously, a guest brought it in. If we found one loose in the room, how many more scorpions also could have gotten loose and are now crawling around the motel? Oh God, I'm staying here tonight, and there are possibly loose scorpions. I am not going to sleep. At. All. :help:

EDIT: The guest who was last in the room was from....Alaska! Add that to all the other WTF-ness!

Boss Man actually has a new GF visiting right now from Mexico, who looked at this scorpion and said it's the super-evil-deadly kind! She said someone needs to go in and tape-up all the outlets and teeny-tiny openings, spray it with cockroach-murdering-chemical, and crank the A/C to kill any other scorpions in there. Hell, that someone is not going to be me!

Elspeth
04-15-2011, 07:36 PM
aaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh!!!!! I hate those things. and no they shouldn't live up here. Most of the weird creepy things don't like the cold and the wet (or the snow in April)

Have a baseball bat.

Zellie Crescent
04-15-2011, 09:21 PM
And golf shoes, step on em with those and they'll definitely die.

Sheldonrs
04-15-2011, 10:00 PM
I have lived here in AZ for 5 years and I have still never seen a scorpion. But a friend of mine who lives about 15 minutes away gats them in her apt. all the time.

Gawdzillers
04-15-2011, 10:56 PM
Unless you're allergic, you're not gonna die from most scorpion stings.They're about the equivalent of a hornet sting. Most of the deadlier varieties live in the Middle East and North Africa, anyway.

Scorpions (and spiders) are way over-hyped.

Irving Patrick Freleigh
04-15-2011, 11:10 PM
Scorpions <snip> are way over-hyped.

Indeed.

"Rock You Like A Hurricane" is the only song of theirs I've ever liked. :rimshot:

Heksubah
04-15-2011, 11:32 PM
Don't step on them on carpet unless you want a permanent stain. My dad and stepmom get them a lot at their house in the Ozarks and have mentioned that fact when I'm visiting, that we are not to squish them on the carpet.

MoonCat
04-16-2011, 01:36 AM
Scorpions (and spiders) are way over-hyped.

Then you can have the one that's living in between the inside & outside panes in my hallway window right now. It's the size of a hummingbird. :runaway: And it lived in there through the winter. That window is not getting opened this year, I don't care if it's 150 degrees in the shade.

"Rock You Like A Hurricane" is the only song of theirs I've ever liked.

I like "Send Me an Angel.":angel:

Squeaksmyalias
04-16-2011, 03:46 AM
Me: OKAY I F***ING GOT IT! IT'S A BABY SCORPION I DON'T NEED IT TO TELL THEM WHAT IT IS!!! SERIOUSLY GET THAT THING THE F*** AWAY FROM ME!

Yeah, I snapped. I don't like scorpions at all. It was all I could do to keep it together the first time they tried to pass it to me.

If it makes you feel any better if it was a snake I would have quit then and there and been out of the building before they knew what hit them. So on my scale you were quite calm.

Sandman
04-16-2011, 04:11 AM
Indeed.

"Rock You Like A Hurricane" is the only song of theirs I've ever liked. :rimshot:

IPF.. No One Like You could make a joke like that :rimshot:

telecom_goddess
04-16-2011, 02:51 PM
WTF I live in the Pacific Northwest and I have never seen a scorpion......eeeeeeesssshhhhh

bhskittykatt
04-16-2011, 05:07 PM
WTF I live in the Pacific Northwest and I have never seen a scorpion......eeeeeeesssshhhhh

Pest Control guy said they have them in SW Washington (prob E Oregon as well then), but they are hibernating this time of year.

We do have direct flights coming into town from Las Vegas, so I'm wondering if the little guy hitched a ride in some luggage that way.

PC guy sprayed some chemicals, and he took the scorpion with him. It was still alive today, but didn't seem to be doing so hot. IDC if that f--ker DIES after the PC guy took him....GOD I HATE SCORPIONS!

bhskittykatt
04-16-2011, 06:50 PM
Pest Control guy said in the 20 years he's been in the business, he's never seen a scorpion in the state of Washington. He wasn't even sure exactly what to do; he's going to have a friend ID it and give him advice.

He did spray a few chemicals in there. One is called "Tri-Die". I like that one, because I presume it means it kills any scorpions and other nasties 3 times over. Anything that makes a scorpion die 3 separate times is okay by me! (I could be wrong on what that chemical name means, but don't ruin it for me!)

TheSHAD0W
04-16-2011, 07:10 PM
You can tell how dangerous a scorpion is by looking at the claws. If a scorpion has one claw that's larger than the other, it will use that claw to hold its prey and doesn't need to rely on its toxin. If both claws are small, then... Watch out!

Pimento
04-16-2011, 08:01 PM
You also run the risk that the baby scorpions become used to the chemicals, and develop into a race of chemical resistant scorpions hell bent on hiding in tiny nooks and crannys that you have to put your hand into on a dialy basis....

*evil laugh* :P

Shpepper
04-16-2011, 09:08 PM
I live in WA too and have never seen one here, other than the ones in pet stores. It almost makes me wonder if someone didn't buy it at a pet store, have it get loose and just not tell you about it.

bhskittykatt
04-16-2011, 09:23 PM
You also run the risk that the baby scorpions become used to the chemicals, and develop into a race of chemical resistant scorpions hell bent on hiding in tiny nooks and crannys that you have to put your hand into on a dialy basis....

*evil laugh* :P

:runaway: NOOOOOOO!!!!! I'm stocking the back rooms with guns 'nd ammo. it's going to be war between the housekeepers and the super-scorpions!!!!

BTW here is a picture of the scorpion (best one I could get without releasing it from its plastic prison). Apparently, they do exist in Eastern Washington and Oregon, but they should be hibernating this time of year. The guy is tiny, so it seems likely he migrated from a warmer climate in someone's luggage.
http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/207352_1770193689568_1081004426_31583867_8264231_n .jpg

Pimento
04-16-2011, 11:53 PM
Wait until that baby is 30 feet tall and you guys have to call on all of us canadians with our guns and animal killing experience to help :P

MoonCat
04-17-2011, 12:53 AM
This is from Wikipedia:
Scorpions are found in virtually every habitat, including high elevation mountain-tops, caves and intertidal zones, with the exception of boreal ecosystems such as the tundra, high-altitude taiga and the permanently snow-clad tops of some mountains.

I had no idea they were this widespread.

Salted Grump
04-17-2011, 06:24 AM
Wait until that baby is 30 feet tall and you guys have to call on all of us canadians with our guns and animal killing experience to help :P

Just remember; for best results, use Large-calibre rounds; Anything smaller than .50 BMG won't even crack its exoskeleton, much less be felt.

Something more suitable would be a Hispano-Suiza 20mm Autocannon, Lahti L-39 AMR, or, generally, anything else that's stupidly gargantuan.

TheSHAD0W
04-17-2011, 06:32 AM
BTW here is a picture of the scorpion (best one I could get without releasing it from its plastic prison)

Yup, that's one of the more dangerous varieties, even if it's small. Better get that exterminator working double-quick.

bainsidhe
04-17-2011, 07:56 AM
OK, scorpions don't bother me, only because they're supposed to be things in movies and far far away. Having one so close would make me bat-shit crazy. And I'll be honest, seeing that baby scorpion so teeny tiny and portable just....cripes. Those little buggers could be anywhere. *shudder*

telecom_goddess
04-17-2011, 05:07 PM
This is from Wikipedia:

me either :eek:

bhskittykatt
04-19-2011, 12:00 AM
Our Area Manager in the weekly conference call today did not believe at first we had scorpions. On the report section where we record why rooms are out of service, he thought we'd just put scorpions down to see if he was really paying attention to it. It took some time for Boss Man to finally convince him that yes, we really found one and had pest control treat the room for scorpions! :lol:

Sandman
04-19-2011, 01:44 AM
Our Area Manager in the weekly conference call today did not believe at first we had scorpions. On the report section where we record why rooms are out of service, he thought we'd just put scorpions down to see if he was really paying attention to it. It took some time for Boss Man to finally convince him that yes, we really found one and had pest control treat the room for scorpions! :lol:

Yes.. we did have scorpions in the room... no... not the band... the actual insect....

terakhan
04-19-2011, 01:47 AM
And here I thought scorpions had some sort of Animal Magnetism. Ah well, if nothing else, you could send it to the insect hut at The Zoo. After all, No One Like You should be forced to keep something that creepy around. Does Anyone Know what type it is, by the way? It All Depends on that as to how it got there.

If you haven't guessed, I like the two-legged, guitar-playing scorpions.

Rena_Muffin
04-19-2011, 02:42 AM
Honey, I hate to tell you but there is a species of scorpion native to the Pacific Northwest. I can't remember the name of it, but we did study it in my intro to forestry class. :hug:

I hate scorpions too.

bhskittykatt
04-19-2011, 05:19 AM
Honey, I hate to tell you but there is a species of scorpion native to the Pacific Northwest. I can't remember the name of it, but we did study it in my intro to forestry class. :hug:

I hate scorpions too.

:runaway:

Spiders, snakes, beetles........give me anything else but scorpions!

Pimento
04-19-2011, 06:25 AM
Careful, they like to hide in shoes :P

Im not helping am i ?

teh_blumchenkinder
04-19-2011, 11:23 AM
They also glow in blacklight (http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.orovalleyhomes4sale.com/images/ScorpionsInDark.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.orovalleyhomes4sale.com/oro-valley-living/oro-valley-after-dark-visitors/&usg=__QxuNAji_O_-nSbh2upKcU6WCDBw=&h=350&w=410&sz=22&hl=en&start=0&zoom=1&tbnid=Owzx591i5YvzAM:&tbnh=142&tbnw=166&ei=XnCtTaqSLYnUiALihaiFDA&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dscorpion%2Bblacklight%26um%3D1%26hl%3 Den%26sa%3DN%26biw%3D1054%26bih%3D734%26tbm%3Disch&um=1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=130&vpy=90&dur=3758&hovh=207&hovw=243&tx=159&ty=146&oei=XnCtTaqSLYnUiALihaiFDA&page=1&ndsp=19&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0)! :3
I've heard that the smaller the scorpion, the nastier the toxin. It might have even been on Mythbusters.

Ashaela
04-19-2011, 05:22 PM
I'm definitely not an expert on scorpions (don't wanna be!) but that one looks a lot like the ones I encounter around here (Central TX). They give me the absolute willies. I HATE them.

I've been stung four times, on three separate occasions. The most recent time it was under the bed and got me on the foot when I got up for some water, and once all the sobbing and trauma was over, I got back into bed to discover it had crawled up the sheets and stung me again on my thigh. :cry::cry: Thankfully, I guess it hadn't fully recharged because that one didn't hurt quite as much. I was then able to find it and kill it.

For me, scorpion stings are much, much worse than a wasp or yellow-jacket, or even a fire ant bite. When it happens I can't do anything but cry and scream and wait for it to pass, and then apply some ointment to cut down on the swelling.

The last time I saw a scorpion in the house, it was crawling on the wall - I panicked, lashed out to kick it and punched a hole in the wall.... :(:o I'm glad you have someone working on the extermination process!

Pimento
04-19-2011, 06:49 PM
I was watching a show about Australia, and theres certain parts where people carry a car battery with a crank on it, because there are some scorpions so deadly, unless you crank it up and zap the area of the bite, youre done for.

redleg
04-19-2011, 09:34 PM
in iraq we used to have cage matches between scorpions and camel spiders. the small scorpions tended to win quickly.

bhskittykatt
04-19-2011, 09:46 PM
in iraq we used to have cage matches between scorpions and camel spiders. the small scorpions tended to win quickly.

WHAT?!?!?! Hold on one second....

http://www.camelspiders.net/camel-spider/spider9.jpg

Those are freaking spiders STRAIGHT FROM THE BOWELS OF HELL!!! And you are telling me that not only do the smaller scorpions beat their asses, but they do so quickly?!?!?!

http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/207352_1770193689568_1081004426_31583867_8264231_s .jpg

:runaway::runaway::runaway::runaway::runaway:

redleg
04-19-2011, 09:51 PM
yeah apparently the smaller ones got better venom to help them avoid being appetizers for camel spiders.

teh_blumchenkinder
04-19-2011, 09:58 PM
GAH.
I'm just glad I have large, heavy books with which to squish, and a penchant for getting insects out of my house in the first place.

Pimento
04-19-2011, 10:15 PM
The pic of the spider that the military dudes are holding are actually one that has latched on to another, still big mofos though.

Just dont reach into a drawer without looking first :D

Becks
04-19-2011, 10:24 PM
If anyone heard screaming, that was me.

Especially at the picture of the spiders.

Pimento
04-19-2011, 10:42 PM
Its ok becks, ill hold you, but i might also dangle a puppet like camel spider at you from doorways and such

Primer
04-19-2011, 11:58 PM
I'm definitely not an expert on scorpions (don't wanna be!) but that one looks a lot like the ones I encounter around here (Central TX).

For me, scorpion stings are much, much worse than a wasp or yellow-jacket, or even a fire ant bite. When it happens I can't do anything but cry and scream and wait for it to pass, and then apply some ointment to cut down on the swelling.

Ashaela, I was going to say the same thing about it looking like the local scorpions. Yes the sting hurts, but I'd rather have it tag me than a hornet.

Benadryl, Prednisone and Vicodin if you have any, and Go-Jo hand cleaner help a lot. The last time I got stung, the only real reason I worried about it was that it got me on the jugular. But it did not hurt nearly as bad as the last time a hornet got me!

Becks
04-20-2011, 01:03 AM
Its ok becks, ill hold you, but i might also dangle a puppet like camel spider at you from doorways and such

Evil!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

Jay 2K Winger
04-20-2011, 03:18 PM
See, I'm not bothered by the concept of spiders or scorpions or other stinging wee (or not so wee) beasties.

Heck spiders that are just going about their business killing the little mites or whatever that somehow keep managing to get into my bathroom, don't bother me. They stay up in the corner of my ceiling and don't come near me.

Once they start coming toward me, though, yeah, then I start freaking out. I got stung on the sole of my foot by a wasp when I was six. Kinda hated stinging beasties since then.

MoonCat
04-21-2011, 04:07 AM
See, I'm not bothered by the concept of spiders or scorpions or other stinging wee (or not so wee) beasties.

Heck spiders that are just going about their business killing the little mites or whatever that somehow keep managing to get into my bathroom, don't bother me. They stay up in the corner of my ceiling and don't come near me.

Once they start coming toward me, though, yeah, then I start freaking out. I got stung on the sole of my foot by a wasp when I was six. Kinda hated stinging beasties since then.

My rule is: Small ones in ceiling corners can stay there. Bigger ones have to go. I will try to catch them in a jar and take them outside if it's not too cold out. I try not to kill things. Except for fleas--then it's no holds barred.

I live in Centipede Central. I'm not scared of them, but I don't want them around. They, too, go outside if I can catch them. The cats often find them before I do. Every spring they start popping up. My sisters are freaked by them so I will warn them: "*Grendel's back." Much shrieking ensues. :rolleyes:

*My pet name for centipedes!

42_42_42
04-21-2011, 05:20 AM
I do NOT like spiders or scorpions, but the thing that makes me let out a blood curdling shriek is centipedes. Spiders and scorpions are scary. Centipedes are just wrong! :runaway:

lobo94
04-21-2011, 11:28 AM
If it makes you feel any better if it was a snake I would have quit then and there and been out of the building before they knew what hit them. So on my scale you were quite calm.

So, how are you today, Dr. Jones?

teh_blumchenkinder
04-21-2011, 11:00 PM
Apparently, in New Mexico, my mother saw a centipede the size of a forearm, about as big-around as a broom handle, and black as sin.
They're poisonous, according to my granny.
._________.

cinema guy
04-21-2011, 11:12 PM
Makes me glad I live in England, where the closest thing we have to dangerous wildlife is Rapscallion :lol:

Squeaksmyalias
04-22-2011, 02:15 AM
So, how are you today, Dr. Jones?

Hehehe funny you say that, I was learning whip tricks the other day, seriously. :lol: All I need is the hat.

Immortal1982
04-22-2011, 12:36 PM

Maybe its the winds of change bringing them....:devil:

bsaana
04-25-2011, 05:02 PM

I especially hate the black wasps... I was getting the mower out of my grandma's shed to mow the lawn, and that damn thing was hiding on the handle. That sting was nasty.

My other grandparents who live in San Antonio and who used to drive a truck had a deal with my cousins there. They paid a dollar for every scorpion they caught and killed. That was until they hit the jackpot and got a nest with hundreds of baby scorpions. I never would have been able to do that.

Merriweather
04-28-2011, 12:12 AM
I do NOT like spiders or scorpions, but the thing that makes me let out a blood curdling shriek is centipedes. Spiders and scorpions are scary. Centipedes are just wrong! :runaway:

My family and I lived in Tombstone, Arizona for about six months, in the sixties (I was in Jr. High then). During that time, I killed a scorpion in the living room, a tarantula in one of the bedrooms, we had a rattlesnake living under the front porch, someone found a poisonous centipede on the football field during P.E. one day, and my Dad liked to go out to the desert around old abandoned towns to bottle dig - when I went with him, I got to keep watch for Gila monsters.

Can't say I was too terribly upset to move away from there :lol:

Tsiyeria
04-29-2011, 04:52 AM
Apparently, in New Mexico, my mother saw a centipede the size of a forearm, about as big-around as a broom handle, and black as sin.
They're poisonous, according to my granny.
._________.

I HAVE SEEN THIS. I was working at a theater in Palo Duro Canyon last summer, I was there for about 16 weeks. One day a motion in our costume shop catches my eye. EXACTLY as your granny described it. As long as my forearm. HUGE spikey bits on the sides in red and yellow. And FAST. IT WAS FAST. Also durable. Our shop manager had to beat it to death with a laundry bucket. :runaway: I am not ashamed to admit that I jumped on the table.

After that, the tarantulas didn't bother me very much. And we saw WAY more bull snakes than rattlesnakes, and non-venomous snakes don't really bother me anyway.

For those who don't know, here (http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRZFSa6GIl6aharuYMyMn8CC1CxT_xIK ANjdYxo2XrdjIih_umM) is a link to a picture of this behemoth, which is apparently a Giant Desert Centipede. Warning: NOT for the faint of heart or frightened of crawlies.

ShadowBall
04-29-2011, 06:00 AM
Gack, my one friend gets massive centipedes in his den and they are disgusting. I don't know if they're poisonous or not, but it is not fun when you've got one of these huge motherfuckers shimmying at you. And in my mom's house, she gets huge black spiders in the basement that move relatively fast...where they come from, I don't even want to know. When it comes to bugs, the rule is as follows: Outside, I leave them alone. In the house, they get smashed.

But I'm a big baby when it comes to bugs. When I was visiting the aforesaid friend, I saw a moth in the shower when I went to bathe. I screamed bloody murder and ran out wearing nothing but a towel and asked him to get rid of it. Fucking moths and butterflies scare me, for some reason...just when they fly at me. :p

flybye023
05-01-2011, 03:39 AM
Makes me glad I live in England, where the closest thing we have to dangerous wildlife is Rapscallion

I thought you guys had a little asp native to England?

Mikkel
05-01-2011, 05:59 AM
I thought you guys had a little asp native to England?

They even have scorpions (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euscorpius_flavicaudis);). I thought I remembered seeing something about them on TV.

Miss Maple Leaf
05-02-2011, 02:44 AM
Okay, I finished reading this thread and my heart has finally slowed down to a normal pace.

Scorpions don't bother me in the slightest (in fact I think some of them are downright cute) but spiders send me into screaming fits. I really did not need to see that camel spider picture on page four. Especially at 11:30pm. :eek: I'm going to have nightmares tonight, I just know it.

*rocks back and forth* Can't sleep, spiders will eat me. Can't sleep, spiders will eat me. Can't sleep, spiders will eat me. :help:

And there goes my heart again...

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to visit Cute Overload. No evil spiders from Hell to worry about over there. :p

Andara Bledin
05-13-2011, 08:51 PM
My dad and stepmom get them a lot at their house in the Ozarks and have mentioned that fact when I'm visiting, that we are not to squish them on the carpet.
I never want to live anywhere where there's advice about where it's is and isn't appropriate to kill the creepy crawly invaders. O.

I'm in an actual desert location (albeit, coastal), and I've never seen one outside of a pet shop.

Though one of my cousins got stung by a nasty one while in Arizona once.

BTW here is a picture of the scorpion (best one I could get without releasing it from its plastic prison).
Oh, hey, that looks like the little guy that got my cousin.

Yes.. we did have scorpions in the room... no... not the band... the actual insect....
They're arachnids, not insects.

I've always contended that the more legs a critter has, the creepier it gets.

I see I'm not the only one.

^-.-^

bhskittykatt
06-30-2011, 04:14 PM
Okay, just had to share this:
http://www.bellinghamherald.com/2011/06/30/2082754/ore-man-stung-by-scorpion-on-commercial.html

Man was stung by a scorpion on a flight from Seattle to Anchorage. The guest from the original post was returning to Alaska. Is this a coincidence? I THINK NOT! THE SCORPIONS ARE TRAVELING TO ALASKA TO LAUNCH AN INVASION!!!