PDA

View Full Version : I'm screwed.

Bella_Vixen
04-29-2011, 07:30 PM
Over the past few months, my hours have been getting cut, an hour here, two hours there, etc. The last straw came when a woman who has been working there for at best 2 months got 10 more hours than me. So I left a note (again) saying that I cannot afford to have so few hours, because I can't afford to pay my rent and bills (to say nothing of food!).

Cue a meeting with the FES and the store manager, who proceeded to tell me a huge list of complaints they had against me, which gave them the excuse to cut my hours. Yet they never once brought up those issues for me to fix before...

So. They put their collective heads together and came up with an ideal solution: I'll work in the deli part time and stay up front part time. They claim I can get all the hours I possibly would want over in the deli, even though I know for a fact that there is at least one person back there begging for more hours.

They made me an offer I cannot refuse. I *hate* working in the deli, but I have no choice now.

Food Lady
04-30-2011, 04:56 AM
I'm sorry hon. If you have been there a while and make a lot, it's about money. The complaints are an excuse. It's happening all over.

Becks
04-30-2011, 03:44 PM
Apparently there, $8.50 an hour is a lot. (The closing manager only makes around $10 an hour.)

Never fear, though, I'm encouraging her to apply elsewhere.

Bella_Vixen
05-01-2011, 04:09 AM
Becks, I make more (just barely) than some people who've worked there for 4 years.

Ugh.

Bella_Vixen
05-08-2011, 03:29 AM
In case anyone cares...

Last week, I was scheduled for 27 hours.

This week, including the hours I'm getting in deli, I'm scheduled for 30. :wtf:

teh_blumchenkinder
05-08-2011, 03:51 AM
Yeah. Screwed. :( I wonder what's going on behind the scenes.

DeltaSierra
05-08-2011, 04:16 AM

My mind said "I wonder who is screwing whom behind the scenes?"

This sucks. Hope you can find a new/better job soon!

Bella_Vixen
05-09-2011, 12:54 PM

They want me to quit, since they don't have grounds to fire me.

My mind said "I wonder who is screwing whom behind the scenes?"

There are a couple opinions on that...

This sucks. Hope you can find a new/better job soon!

Working on it.

blas
05-09-2011, 05:32 PM
They also probably hope you'll quit so they don't have to pay unemployment.

I don't know legalities, but a lot of companies make it hard to work for them on purpose, and just skirt around obeying the laws just so that you'll leave.

*general you

EricKei
05-10-2011, 01:52 AM
I call BS on their "complaints". If things were really as bad as they claim, they would have canned you With Cause by now. Get something else and get outta there!

I recently went thru something like this at my IT job -- They re-hired the person i replaced (six YEARS ago!) for much less money, canned me because "they had too many office workers", then fought my Unemployment claim, after stating -- *in writing* -- that the firing was due to too many workers (they even said they would like to work with me in the future). The appellate judge looked at everything and heard us all out, then asked them one single question: 'If [EricKei] did all of these things that you claim, why didn't you fire him back then (2 years ago), and why haven't you submitted any proof of what you said he did?' ... They had no real response. She ruled in my favor ^_^ Don't lose hope!

Racket_Man
05-10-2011, 08:18 AM
I am wondering if you work for the same place my GF works for??? cHopps run by Squaries perhaps???? cause the same thing has happened to her in the last 2 or 3 years

Bella_Vixen
05-11-2011, 05:14 AM
I am wondering if you work for the same place my GF works for??? cHopps run by Squaries perhaps???? cause the same thing has happened to her in the last 2 or 3 years

Nope. Small family owned grocery.

Bella_Vixen
05-14-2011, 04:45 AM
And now I'm scheduled for deli all week. Faster than even I expected. So far no idea on how many hours.

Andara Bledin
05-19-2011, 10:32 PM
I don't know how things go these days, but I quit a job and got unemployment for lack of hours.

^-.-^

Bella_Vixen
05-23-2011, 04:29 AM
I'm thinking about it. That and/or trying to get food stamps. *sigh*

Last week, I was scheduled for 25 f'ing hours. :wtf:

This week, I'm getting 32.

trailerparkmedic
05-25-2011, 12:43 PM
In some states you don't even have to quit--if they cut your hours, you might be eligible for unemployment.

Bella_Vixen
06-02-2011, 03:45 AM
Well, I'm definitely looking for a new job, since they suspended me.

Rapscallion
06-02-2011, 07:01 AM
Suspended? For what?

Rapscallion

PepperElf
06-02-2011, 12:57 PM
i'd say contact the labor board.
even in a right-to-work state they usually have to provide SOME reason you are being punished.

and ask for proof.

Becks
06-02-2011, 02:53 PM
They're treating her EXACTLY like they treated me.

Bella_Vixen
06-02-2011, 04:16 PM
They suspended me for a customer complaint that happened a week before and was already talked to about. >:(

Bella_Vixen
06-02-2011, 09:34 PM
I've gotten written up for customer complaints before, so they felt justified in suspending me. Whatever. They want to fire me, but can't, so they're trying to make me quit.

I am definitely looking for something else.

Anyone know where I can hire a brass band? :lol:

Bella_Vixen
06-04-2011, 04:09 AM
According to the schedule a friend gave me, I'm schedule for 31 hours next week. :wave:

teh_blumchenkinder
06-04-2011, 04:51 AM
bleh. once you find somewhere else, you can tell them NewPlace has priority... they might jerk you around more, and I think I'd hang on and see when they'd drop me, and try for partial unemployment or something if needed.
... Yay hours?? :\

Bella_Vixen
06-05-2011, 04:20 AM
Update: apparently, I'm getting 36 hours. :party:

Within the next 2-3 months I'm going to be moving, and will be looking for a job closer to my new place, since I'm lazy and don't feel like driving an hour each way for work.