PDA

View Full Version : Those are made from WHAT???

pageantmama
06-13-2011, 03:34 PM
I got a bag of pork rinds a little while ago. The good ones, where every single one was the perfect fluffy airy crispness and there were no hard ones that look crispy but when you bite into them they practically break your tooth. Yummy crispy crunchy pork skins, delicious, delectable and deeeelightfuuuullll (anyone know where that last part is from, lol)

Anyway, it reminded me of a coworker I used to have. She was your typical teenage "mean girl". She worked in the shoe dept of the store I worked Layaway at. She talked to me quite a bit since our departments were so close and she was so lazy. I didn't care for her too much since she had that better than everyone here attitude but being the nice person I am I listened to her shallow stories of how wonderful she was and all the wonderful things she had. She was also a vegetarian, one of the kind that would jump on the table and call you a killer if you happened to have meat in your lunch. I got so tired of listening to her lectures if I was on break with her and tried to avoid being in there at the same time. But one time I had no choice and went to purchase my food and saw her in there. I was like, aw man, here we go. Then I noticed what she was eating. Yep, pork rinds.

Me-so are you not a vegetarian anymore or something?
Her-yes I am, why
me-Do you not realize what you are eating?
her-ummm, chips. I eat them all the time.
me-um, do you know what those are made out of?
her-yeah, whatever chips are made out of (seriously, um potatoes, lol)
me:roll: those are made from pig skins
her-ew, don't lie like that. That is gross.

I told her to read the ingredients and she still did not believe me. A manager came in and she asked him. He looked at her like she was stupid and told her the same thing. She absolutely FREAKED. She threw the "chips" in the garbage and went to the bathroom that was in the breakroom and actually made herself throw up. The manager and I laughed our asses off because we both knew how she was about talking down to people that ate meat. I guess he told some of the other workers about it because a few days later I heard someone walk by her and oink:lol: She was all screaming at them "leave me alone" Normally I would have felt bad for her but after dealing with her and her mean attitude she deserved it.

Sheldonrs
06-13-2011, 05:37 PM
Pork, the other white potato. :-)

I had something similar happen with a former co-worker. She was a strict vegetarian. No meat or animal products whatsoever.
But her favorite snack was Jello. She was not happy when i showed her what Jello was made from. She thought it was just sugar and water with corn starch.

pageantmama
06-13-2011, 05:49 PM
Pork, the other white potato. :-)

I had something similar happen with a former co-worker. She was a strict vegetarian. No meat or animal products whatsoever.
But her favorite snack was Jello. She was not happy when i showed her what Jello was made from. She thought it was just sugar and water with corn starch.
haha, now that I think about it I saw her eating the jello with fruit in it several times too and did not even think about it having animal product in it!

Sheldonrs
06-13-2011, 06:52 PM
haha, now that I think about it I saw her eating the jello with fruit in it several times too and did not even think about it having animal product in it!

I can guarantee you will not be getting a x-mas card from her after you tell her this one. :D

Let us know how THAT goes. lol!

teh_blumchenkinder
06-13-2011, 07:23 PM
:lol: rather gentle comeuppance if you ask me. It also sounds like she was in it for the 'superiority,' rather than actual caring. :mad:
... :lol: there is vegan gelatin, never had it that I'm aware of, however!

Bright_Star
06-13-2011, 07:32 PM
"That'll do pig, that'll do"...lol.

wildman
06-13-2011, 07:53 PM
I love Jello! I DON"T care what it is made of. Yes, I looked (Googled) it up. :)

ArcticChicken
06-13-2011, 08:42 PM
Wow. If I had a coworker like that I'd start bringing super rare steak and trying to go on lunch at the same time as her, just to piss her off. (Note: I wouldn't do that to a regular vegetarian, just a holier-than-thou bitch parade like your cow-irker)

Sheldonrs
06-13-2011, 09:07 PM
Wow. If I had a coworker like that I'd start bringing super rare steak and trying to go on lunch at the same time as her, just to piss her off. (Note: I wouldn't do that to a regular vegetarian, just a holier-than-thou bitch parade like your VEG-irker)

Fixed it for you!

telecom_goddess
06-13-2011, 09:10 PM
sounds more vegan than vegetarian to me. My middle daughter was vegetarian for a while and wouldn't eat Jello for that reason :p

Yeah sounds like she's an EW to the hilt and deserves every bit of fun being poked at her right now.

And personally I would never eat pork rinds...:eek:

Irving Patrick Freleigh
06-13-2011, 11:32 PM
And what did this particular MENSA member think pork came from?

Methinks that vegetarian diet of hers was killing her brain cells.

fireheart
06-14-2011, 01:19 AM
And what did this particular MENSA member think pork came from?

Methinks that vegetarian diet of hers was killing her brain cells.

"Bart is a vampire, beer kills brain cells. Now let's go back to that....building....thingy.....where our beds and TV....is."

:D

wolfie
06-15-2011, 06:21 AM
:lol: rather gentle comeuppance if you ask me. It also sounds like she was in it for the 'superiority,' rather than actual caring. :mad:
... :lol: there is vegan gelatin, never had it that I'm aware of, however!

Gelatin, by its nature, is inherently not vegan. There is, however, a vegan "make things gel" that can be used for gelatin-like desserts. It's called "agar", and is made from seaweed. As a bonus, it can withstand higher temperatures than gelatin without melting.

BlaqueKatt
06-15-2011, 11:23 PM
Gelatin, by its nature, is inherently not vegan. There is, however, a vegan "make things gel" that can be used for gelatin-like desserts. It's called "agar", and is made from seaweed. As a bonus, it can withstand higher temperatures than gelatin without melting.

it's also used in microbiology to grow bacteria....

Food Lady
06-16-2011, 04:35 AM
Wow. If I had a coworker like that I'd start bringing super rare steak and trying to go on lunch at the same time as her, just to piss her off. (Note: I wouldn't do that to a regular vegetarian, just a holier-than-thou bitch parade like your cow-irker) That wouldn't bother me at all, since I'm a not-holier-than-thou veg.

BrenDAnn
06-16-2011, 06:24 PM
Two comments on this one:

1) How did she not gather the ingredients just from it being called pork rinds?

and

2) Now I want Jello. Damn all of you!

thansal
06-16-2011, 06:56 PM
Gummy bears are another one of those "Wait, it has what in it?" as a good number are made with gelatine (though not all).

I have a number of vegetarian friends, they are all good about it and very informed (that's where I learned about jello and gummy bears).

You know, I have never actually HAD pork rinds. I mean, my love of all things pig says they should be great, but something about them has always bugged me (I mean, how do they end up the consistency of a baked chip?)

telecom_goddess
06-16-2011, 07:08 PM
You know, I have never actually HAD pork rinds. I mean, my love of all things pig says they should be great, but something about them has always bugged me (I mean, how do they end up the consistency of a baked chip?)

That's the part that frightens me and turns me off of them. Never tried them don't want to.

pageantmama
06-16-2011, 08:41 PM
Gummy bears are another one of those "Wait, it has what in it?" as a good number are made with gelatine (though not all).

I have a number of vegetarian friends, they are all good about it and very informed (that's where I learned about jello and gummy bears).

It is because they are the skin. Have you ever had a chicken baked perfectly where the skin crisps up and seals in all the yummy juices? Or in my case, got a bad enough sunburn that your skin blisters were crispy? OK that was gross but I had to go there:roll:

pageantmama
06-16-2011, 08:42 PM
Two comments on this one:

1) How did she not gather the ingredients just from it being called pork rinds?

and

2) Now I want Jello. Damn all of you!

Honestly she was so dingy she probably either did not read it or did not make the connection. If I was so against meat then I would probably not even want anything meat flavored like she probably thought they were.

teh_blumchenkinder
06-16-2011, 11:35 PM

Agar! That's what it is. Thanks! I'll be sure to not make that slipup in the future. Gel, not gelatin. Agar. :D

ArcticChicken
06-17-2011, 02:04 AM
That wouldn't bother me at all, since I'm a not-holier-than-thou veg.

Yeah, but if I did have a vegetarian coworker who it bothered I would do my best to avoid flaunting it in their face. Not that I wouldn't bring meat in my lunch, just that I wouldn't bring a bloody steak. But only if they weren't a bitch about it.

Or in my case, got a bad enough sunburn that your skin blisters were crispy?

Yes. OK, not crispy, but blisters from sunburn. Luckily it was only a tiny patch that I missed with the sunscreen. I'm super careful now.

Agar! That's what it is. Thanks! I'll be sure to not make that slipup in the future. Gel, not gelatin. Agar. :D

I think you can also use pectin for the same sort of thing.

BeenThereDoneThat
06-21-2011, 05:52 AM
That is epic...if I didn't know how stupid people can be I'd be shocked... :roll:

radiocerk
06-24-2011, 09:14 PM
Altoids also have gelatin in them.

DGoddessChardonnay
06-25-2011, 12:14 AM
It is because they are the skin. Have you ever had a chicken baked perfectly where the skin crisps up and seals in all the yummy juices? Or in my case, got a bad enough sunburn that your skin blisters were crispy? OK that was gross but I had to go there:roll:

I am notorious at home for scraping the bottom of the frying pan and catching those cripsy drippings with a spoon and laying them out to dry so I can snack on 'em. :love:

Nom nom nom nom . . . .now I want some Bakenets.:lol:

RetailWorkhorse
06-28-2011, 02:43 PM

It's fried piggy skin. Ya skin the bacon-wearer, drop the skin and fat into a deep-fryer until the fat fries off, and you're left with crispy airy pork rinds. I've located "shrimp chips" of the same consistency in a Lin's Buffet in ABQ. Probably not the same thing (...does shrimp even have fat cells?) but close enough.

Mom eats them with sour creme and onion dip. Ick.

Geek King
06-28-2011, 07:45 PM
It's fried piggy skin. Ya skin the bacon-wearer, drop the skin and fat into a deep-fryer until the fat fries off, and you're left with crispy airy pork rinds.

You can also do them up like something called "Pork Cracklings" in my local area. They leave the fat on the skin and fry up the whole thing. The skin gets really crisp, like a really hard sourdough pretzel, while the fat puffs up just a little bit, and can be scraped off the skin, kind-of like scraping the cream middle off an Oreo. I tend to eat the fat off the skin in my mouth to give my saliva time to soften up the skin a bit to save my teeth some wear. I find them tasty, but really, really salty. Definately a sometimes-snack.

Locally, Yoder's does them best, and sells them, for sure, in Krogers, possibly other stores as well.

autumn_soul
06-29-2011, 12:09 PM
I had ONE pork scratching once and wanted to throw up immediately after. It was so salty!

Beef gelatine is smuggled into a lot of sweets (candy), like Haribo. (Source: Vegan gf/wife to be)

RetailWorkhorse
06-29-2011, 08:29 PM
They're salty?

*Grabs the jug and eats one*

....I think I've been thoroughly preserved, I don't taste hardly any salt.
I think I just cracked a tooth.... wait, nevermind. It's my stupid molars coming up again.