PDA

View Full Version : I hate this goddamn job.

Antisocial_Worker
07-19-2011, 01:59 PM
Management saw this coming months ago. They knew we were expanding. They knew we were bringing new machines on as fast as we could install them. They knew we needed a lot more people. A lot more. They knew that the quality inspectors, such as myself, would not be able to keep up with the workload.

Did they do anything?

No. Don't be stupid. Of course not. They act as though it all came about suddenly, as though we all woke up one day (or evening as the case may be for those of us on the night shift) went in and -- wowzers! -- there sure is a lot more running than there used to be! I guess we'll all have to double up and pitch in!

This is how some of my coworkers have come to be working 30+ days without a day off. Others have worked more than 20. This has been going on since the spring.

Meanwhile, I've avoided working any overtime at all, and for a very good reason. The great state of North Carolina pays to keep me alive because I have an incurable illness. They are not willing to pay to keep me alive, however, should my income rise above a certain level. I explained this to HR. I explained this, as humiliating as it was to have to do so, to my immediate supervisor -- when he came to me to ask about the letter I'd written making a formal request to drop my pay by $.45 an hour in order not to make too much.

And today? Another supervisor, who has been stalking me in the halls trying to get me to take some overtime ("You know you'll have to pick a day," she says, "So just get it over with and take one."), approached me just after shift ended and said, "You're working tomorrow night and Monday night."

"I'm going out of town on Wednesday," I said.

She scowled, sighed, rolled her eyes and said, "Then you're working Monday and Tuesday. I guess we'll have to find someone to cover for you Wednesday."

And as a result, I'm literally so angry I can't see straight. You know what, lady? Fuck you. You were the bitch who called me up last December 27th at precisely 9am to scream at me for going over your head to corporate when it looked like the deal you'd cobbled together with them to keep my income down for the year had fallen through. I have never forgiven nor forgotten that, nor will I. You screamed at me because I was scared. Now, despite you knowing my situation, you're forcing overtime on me, pushing me toward making too much money, and pushing me toward losing my health coverage.

Fuck you. For every two days of overtime you make me work, I'll have to take three days off sometime later this year. It will cost the company money then, just as it will cost you now to make me work overtime. Of course, that's if you all don't decide I'm not worth the fuss and just fire me.

So God damn you, your job, my job, and and this entire motherfucking factory. Every day when I'm getting ready for work I turn on the news in hopes of hearing that a fully-loaded 747 dropped straight down on the whole miserable place, but that never happens because God doesn't love me enough to ever let it happen.

Mikkel
07-19-2011, 04:11 PM
:rant: She knows that it's your life on the line if you make too much and still try to force you?
What if you go on working normal hours? What can they do that is worse than the anxiety in January? Even if they fire you, it's better than dying.

Food Lady
07-20-2011, 05:29 AM
I remember you posting that. I'm sorry. Aren't there any laws against mandatory overtime?

teh_blumchenkinder
07-20-2011, 05:53 AM
In almost every case I've heard of, the answer is nope. They have to pay you once you go over though.
Try to get her in trouble with another higher-up? :(
This is giving you gray hairs you don't need.

Andara Bledin
07-22-2011, 09:47 PM
I remember your posts at the end of last year. I am really glad that you're still in the program.

At this point, if it were me, I'd say, flat out, that it won't happen. I don't have to pick a day and won't be picking a day. I will continue to work my regularly scheduled hours and continue to work the maximum number of said regularly scheduled hours and not a moment longer so as not to endanger my own health.

And I will never get the thinking that goes into working people so hard that they have to pay double-time rather than just hiring more people. It can't be cost-effective over the long term.

^-.-^

emax4
07-23-2011, 12:09 AM
Just don't go in. Do. Not. Go. In. You have your reasons. Sick day? Personal day? You're not going in.

Just Ace
07-23-2011, 01:05 AM
I agree with emax4 - it's not worth risking your insurance for some management powertrip over you. Don't go in.

blas
07-23-2011, 02:04 AM
Mandatory overtime is not illegal. No matter what anyone thinks or feels. However, there ARE ways around it. Doctors notes work, until your place of employments does what mine did and starts refusing them.

Count me in as someone who doesn't understand forcing their employees to work all the damn time versus hiring new people.

In the case of the OP, he may have enough ammo if he gets a note from the doctor forbiding working overtime for health reasons.

mikoyan29
07-23-2011, 04:36 AM
In my first job as a young buck Quality Engineer, it was just as the Auto Industry was seriously surging again. I used to have to go around to collect the SPC charts. The people that ran the presses were working some pretty serious overtime. So for grins, I would mark a tick when a press was actually running because I thought the efficiency numbers they used were crap. I would go at random times of the day and pretty soon, I got a pretty good sample size and noticed that the presses were running about half of the time (if that). I guess overtime would be better than running the presses when people are supposed to be there.

And now that I'm an old crotchety quality engineer, I see that management is still equally stupid. I get it that in some circles, inspectors are not considered as value added but still...if the company has used them all along and they are expanding, they should expand the inspectors as well. Especially since you are talking new lines and new lines always have new issues which means you need even more inspectors.

Antisocial_Worker
07-23-2011, 02:43 PM
Long story short, I told my supervisor what the other supervisor had done, and that irritated him. He told me he would talk to her and tell her to "keep her beak in her own shift." I found out today that he did so... and now the overtime is mandatory for everyone.

Don't want to work it? Quit. Refuse to work it? Get fired.

And so today marks day 2 of a 7-day slog. The calendar for August is circulating for people to sign up for overtime. We all have to take at least four or five days.

Dasota
07-23-2011, 09:26 PM
It's definitely time to go to the Doctor's and get a note or something. Do all you can to try and get around it. I'd say "Go get a new job," but we all know it's easier said than done. I wish I knew more resources to try and help you get around it. :( Hang in there though.

Antisocial_Worker
12-01-2011, 01:44 PM
An update.

The overtime is still ongoing and there is no end in sight. Furthermore, we've gotten word that people even tried to apply for positions in the quality department but were told that the plant is not hiring for quality. Perhaps the overtime is going to be a permanent fixture. I don't know.

I do know that I worked overtime in July and August, and set up three weeks of unpaid personal leave in October to balance it out. The process of getting coverage for those weeks would make another thread in and of itself. However, that set things to rights, more or less, although I had to work over in September and a day in October as well.

I did the math today and if I take four days off this month, and don't work any overtime, I should come in under budget for the year. I'm going to talk to my boss about it tonight.

Sapphire Silk
12-01-2011, 03:46 PM
I remember you posting that. I'm sorry. Aren't there any laws against mandatory overtime?

None. And North Carolina is a right to work state.

Lvl 9, is there anything in the ADA that would help you here? You have a legally recognized disability with your illness. Try getting a doctor's note limiting the number of hours of overtime you can work (or better, no over time at all) due to the stress it would place on your immune system (which is a true statement, btw). Your employer has to make "reasonable accommodation," which might get you off the hook.

Wish I'd seen this thread months ago to suggest this :(

drunkenwildmage
12-01-2011, 03:55 PM
Count me in as someone who doesn't understand forcing their employees to work all the damn time versus hiring new people.

It's all a numbers game. In alot of companies, it's cheaper forcing the current emplyoeers to work an extra day a week for months at a time, then hireing new people for the same out of labor time. Forcing people to overtime, all they have to pay extra is for the 'half' time for time and 'half'. When new hires, not only do they factor in new hires wage, but benefits, and also things like unemployment insurance, workman's comp insurance. PTO.. etc..which normally 'exceeds the extra 'half' time.

bainsidhe
12-02-2011, 01:30 AM
Plus a lot of manufacturing takes a certain amount of time before a newbie gets up to the same speed as old-timers. Our factory has over a hundred years of experience between just a few people. It can take the newly-hired months before they start working at a similar speed. Paying a few hours overtime is much more cost effective than hiring 3 new people to manage the same work load.

blas
12-03-2011, 06:27 AM
We've gone through 2-3 year periods of nonstop mandatory overtime, then of course, that backfires and everyone is laid off for a random week or two or what have you. Then we're back on overtime, then we've got our hours cut, then all of a sudden it's the holidays and OMG UR ALL WORKING OT, WE HAVE TO MAKE THIS GOAL!!!!!

wolfie
12-03-2011, 04:24 PM
Every day when I'm getting ready for work I turn on the news in hopes of hearing that a fully-loaded 747 dropped straight down on the whole miserable place, but that never happens because God doesn't love me enough to ever let it happen.

No, it happens because God doesn't want to harm the innocent people on the plane. On the other hand, if you asked Him for a meteorite to hit the place...

Another option you might want to look into is occupational health and safety legislation, and how it deals with being ordered to perform unsafe work (since overtime that would put you over the income threshold would get you cut off a program that's keeping you alive, I'd say it should be considered unsafe work).

Don't know about your jurisdiction, but where I live an employee has the right to refuse to perform unsafe work, and it's up to the supervisor to correct the situation. If the supervisor doesn't agree that it's unsafe work, then the employee can escalate it through several levels (not being required to do the work until the final level rules that it's OK), with a couple of the top levels being at the Ministry of Labour (i.e. outside the control of the company). I'm sure your bosses don't want OHSA coming down on them.

Antisocial_Worker
12-04-2011, 01:38 AM
No, it happens because God doesn't want to harm the innocent people on the plane. On the other hand, if you asked Him for a meteorite to hit the place...

Regarding your first comment, in another thread I mentioned that I fear this job is turning me into a sociopath. I'm not kidding. This job has landed me in therapy, where the therapist told me that my job was literally driving me insane and that it was the worst case she had ever seen. I'm sorry to say that I'm not kidding about hoping a plane will crash into my factory because for one, it's near the airport, and for another that seems to be the only likely way it would ever be destroyed. i realize this is a bad thing to want or hope for, especially considering that a good friend of mine is a flight attendant... but this job is doing things to me that I do not like at all.

Regarding your other comments, I live in what is known as a "right-to-work" state in the US. This means that employers are given vast leeway to abuse their employees however they see fit, and there is not one damn thing the employees can do about it. There are no unions to help you. The state government will help as much as it is able, but that is pretty much restricted to cases of blatant discrimination -- and sometimes not even then, as in the case of gays and lesbians, who are not considered a protected class in this state.

Long story short, if you hate your job in a right-to-work state, you can either quit, kill yourself, or take up a hobby or an addiction. You have no other options because no one is going to help you.

Geek King
12-06-2011, 04:20 PM
None. And North Carolina is a right to work state.

I think you're talking about "At will" rather than "right to work." All right to work changes is that you're not required to join a union or pay union dues in order to get a job.

Regarding your other comments, I live in what is known as a "right-to-work" state in the US. This means that employers are given vast leeway to abuse their employees however they see fit, and there is not one damn thing the employees can do about it. There are no unions to help you. The state government will help as much as it is able, but that is pretty much restricted to cases of blatant discrimination -- and sometimes not even then, as in the case of gays and lesbians, who are not considered a protected class in this state.

Long story short, if you hate your job in a right-to-work state, you can either quit, kill yourself, or take up a hobby or an addiction. You have no other options because no one is going to help you.

Actually, you can unionize in a right to work state, and many do with abusive employers. However, you are not required to join an union to get a position at a unionized workplace, so you can't be hit up for dues on minimum wage unless you agree with the union's purpose. Many states adopted this because too many union's purpose at the time was to keep the union going, rather than address real issues.

I think the more likely explanation for companies acting badly, in any state, is that they are taking advantage of the economy and people's fear of losing their jobs. That's a problem with that company's mentality, and if it really is a serious issue, then the employees have every right to organize and strike, no matter what state they are in.

Sapphire Silk
12-09-2011, 01:43 AM
I think you're talking about "At will" rather than "right to work." All right to work changes is that you're not required to join a union or pay union dues in order to get a job.

Actually, you can unionize in a right to work state, and many do with abusive employers.

You're right; I did confuse the two. Easy to do in North Carolina where unions are so rare the dodo goes, "man, that's rare!"

This state is VERY good at keeping unions out. And large employers tend to be quite abusive to their employees.

But that's a subject for Fratching . . . .

Carina16
12-09-2011, 09:34 AM
North Carolina sucks when it comes to labor laws. Especially when it comes to overtime, breaks, time off between shifts, or even getting time off between shifts. This is why, because we have an employee in the hospital, I'm having to work 64 hours in 4 days. One shift being 24 hours straight. 16 on, 8 off, 16 on, 8 off, 24 on, 8 off, 8 on.

Antisocial_Worker
12-09-2011, 01:20 PM
North Carolina sucks when it comes to labor laws. Especially when it comes to overtime, breaks, time off between shifts, or even getting time off between shifts. This is why, because we have an employee in the hospital, I'm having to work 64 hours in 4 days. One shift being 24 hours straight. 16 on, 8 off, 16 on, 8 off, 24 on, 8 off, 8 on.

I did a couple of 24-hr shifts at my old job.

Just trying to hold on for another year...

Tama
12-09-2011, 09:06 PM
Why another year?

Sapphire Silk
12-10-2011, 01:59 AM

Even North Carolina is subject to Federal labor laws. You can't work more than 16 on without 8 off.

But boy, do I know your pain. It's the reason why I'm no longer an ER nurse. I couldn't take the abuse anymore. :(

I did a couple of 24-hr shifts at my old job.

Just trying to hold on for another year...

Ditto . . . why another year?

Carina16
12-10-2011, 04:14 AM
Actually, according to the Department of Labor's website it's isn't against the law to work a 24 hour shift. Just that there are a couple different ways to handle the pay for it. I'm not too worried about it now as the owner didn't realize that I would be working a shift that long, so he is letting me bring a cot up into the office so I can take a nap during the graveyard part of the shift.

Antisocial_Worker
12-10-2011, 02:07 PM
If I can hold on for another year, I'll be eligible for a benefit only offered to long-term employees. It's of extreme importance to me that I be able to claim this benefit, to the point that I'm afraid to tell what it is for fear that someone might read this and figure out what it is, where I work, and go running off to tattle on me about posting on here. My factory has a very nasty habit of firing people who are months, or even weeks, away from being able to claim that benefit, and at this juncture I don't dare jeopardize it. That's why the Ugly Fat Whore's shenanigans that I posted about on here enraged me so. Her lies and scheming could get me fired when I'm *this* close to my goal.

Sapphire Silk
12-10-2011, 04:09 PM
If I can hold on for another year, I'll be eligible for a benefit only offered to long-term employees. It's of extreme importance to me that I be able to claim this benefit, to the point that I'm afraid to tell what it is for fear that someone might read this and figure out what it is, where I work, and go running off to tattle on me about posting on here. My factory has a very nasty habit of firing people who are months, or even weeks, away from being able to claim that benefit, and at this juncture I don't dare jeopardize it. That's why the Ugly Fat Whore's shenanigans that I posted about on here enraged me so. Her lies and scheming could get me fired when I'm *this* close to my goal.

Say no more. I think I know what it is, anyway. But I'll never tell ;)

TheSHAD0W
12-10-2011, 05:25 PM
Gazebo, do you mind working more hours at higher pay, assuming your meds can be taken care of? Perhaps you should try to switch employers, and find one that offers health care benefits?

Antisocial_Worker
12-11-2011, 02:05 PM
Gazebo, do you mind working more hours at higher pay, assuming your meds can be taken care of? Perhaps you should try to switch employers, and find one that offers health care benefits?

My current employer offers health benefits. The problem with accepting health benefits is that if I accept health insurance, I'll be dropped from my state medication program. Then, should I lose my job, I'm up shit creek. In this economy, and with the political climate that exists in my state nowadays, nobody who loses their medication coverage will ever get it back.

I'll only accept health benefits when I'm finally working the field that I want to work in, doing what I want to do with my life. Frankly, the thought of being trapped at my current job a single second longer than I have to be makes me want to unzip my guts -- and I will not be forced to depend on them. After all, there are only three things that ensure your job security at Pit of Despair Manufacturing, Inc., and I can't claim any of the three. Anyone who can't has only the choice of keeping their heads down, their mouths shut, and shuffling along lockstep until they can escape.

wolfie
12-17-2011, 03:02 PM

Made a pickup in NC, and while I was waiting to get loaded I took a look at the employment law poster. Right at the beginning it deals with unsafe work, and that it is illegal to retaliate for someone refusing unsafe work. In your shoes, I'd (from a payphone so it's not traceable to you) call 1-800-nclabor and present it as a hypothetical case, generalizing it (state program is keeping you alive, employer is ordering you to do something that would get you kicked off - would the work they're ordering you to do be considered unsafe work, since it would result in your death?).

wagegoth
12-18-2011, 12:10 AM
I work in California, which has more worker protections than any other state, but manufacturers here can still force mandatory overtime, as long as they don't do it in an illegal manner (discrimination, retaliation, etc.).

wolfie
12-18-2011, 04:48 PM
I work in California, which has more worker protections than any other state, but manufacturers here can still force mandatory overtime, as long as they don't do it in an illegal manner (discrimination, retaliation, etc.).

The big problem in this case is that the OP is on a state-sponsored medical program that's keeping her alive, but it has an income cutoff. She's arranged things (including refusing a raise) so she'll come in under the cutoff, but this mandatory overtime would put her over the cutoff.

To make a long story short, working this mandatory overtime will result in the OP's death. That was why my take on the situation is that this OT constitutes unsafe work.

Sapphire Silk
12-18-2011, 10:46 PM
I doubt the NLRB will see it that way. Unsafe work means an unsafe working environment: too much clutter, broken equipment, wet floors, mold, that sort of thing.

Lvl 9 Gazeebo has a serious medical illness that is controlled with treatment. He will not be able to get that treatment if he makes too much money due to working overtime. That's not the same thing as an unsafe working environment.

I think the ADA is a better approach. Under the ADA, employers must make "reasonable accommodation" in regards to disabled employees (OP falls under this due to his illness), and I think restricting OT is a reasonable accommodation.

I don't know if he's tried that approach; he hasn't said. He may fear rocking the boat too much, and I can understand why.

North Carolina really is not a friendly place to gays and lesbians :(

Antisocial_Worker
12-19-2011, 03:48 AM
I don't know if he's tried that approach; he hasn't said. He may fear rocking the boat too much, and I can understand why.

North Carolina really is not a friendly place to gays and lesbians :(

This. Too much at stake here, so I'm too afraid of drawing too much attention to myself. I'm just trying to get through another year, and my best shot at that is to not draw attention to myself. As I've mentioned, my factory has an ugly habit of firing people just before (sometimes only by a few days) they become eligible to take advantage of a very unique and very useful company benefit.

Regarding the second statement, it's unfortunately true, although I'm lucky to live in a city known for being a haven for the GLBTetc community. But because, cities aside, the state is not as friendly as it could be -- or used to be, since the last elections -- that puts me even more in fear of losing my medication benefits. Thanks to budget cuts and thanks to a political establishment that thinks people with my condition deserve to be thrown out to die horribly and forgotten, if you lose your medication coverage now, you'll never regain it. I'm only able to take advantage of the medication program because I've been on it for almost a decade and each year I'm grandfathered in on the old income guidelines. If the program is accepting new people at all, it only accepts you if your yearly income is less than half of the old guidelines.

wagegoth
12-20-2011, 09:58 PM
The big problem in this case is that the OP is on a state-sponsored medical program that's keeping her alive, but it has an income cutoff. She's arranged things (including refusing a raise) so she'll come in under the cutoff, but this mandatory overtime would put her over the cutoff.

To make a long story short, working this mandatory overtime will result in the OP's death. That was why my take on the situation is that this OT constitutes unsafe work.

Yes, I know; this is an issue that the OP has had to face before and it completely sucks. The point I was making is that it can be very difficult to get out of overtime, no matter where you work, not whether it is an OSHA/unsafe work environment.

A few people at Level 9's employer do know his situation and he has been able to work it out before, and I hope that this happens again this year. It's very hard when you can see the light at the end of the tunnel, but you seem to be dragging through sucking mud to reach it.

Antisocial_Worker
01-05-2012, 08:02 PM
$32,490.00 -- the total gross income you are allowed to make and still remain on the North Carolina AIDS Drug Assistance Program, without which I would not be able to afford the medications that not only keep me alive, but also keep me well enough to work and pay the taxes that support this program.

$32,136.40 -- my total gross income for 2011. No thanks to my factory, but I managed to come in under budget this year. I had a lady in HR call our corporate office to confirm and that's what they told her, and that is also what's on my last paycheck stub for this year. Now I have to wait for my tax info so I can take it in and reapply for this year.

Tama
01-06-2012, 06:00 AM
Having done most of my English papers EVER on the disease I know how expensive having it can get. I've heard figures as high as $120,000 a year.

And I've also heard that the slightest deviation can throw you off and cause you to need a whole new med regimen.

Congrats on barely getting under it...though I'm sure you'll have a fight sometime during the year.

BeeMused
01-06-2012, 04:27 PM
$32,136.40

Phew! Congrats on the precision landing!

Seraph
01-06-2012, 05:26 PM
Phew! Congrats on the precision landing!

Quoted for truth. Holy cripes, that was a close shave for sure.

Mikkel
01-06-2012, 05:32 PM
Congratulations for being safe a year more :wave:. Anything more I want to say should probably go to Fratching :cry:.

Sapphire Silk
01-07-2012, 09:54 PM
Whew! Another close shave.

Well done :)

BeenThereDoneThat
01-08-2012, 04:19 AM
I'm relieved for you :)

Antisocial_Worker
01-08-2012, 03:07 PM
Thanks, everyone, for your congratulations. It was a rough road to walk this year but at least I was prepared for it.