PDA

View Full Version : No Luck At ALL, lol

Seraph
09-22-2011, 03:04 PM
So I got forwarded a complaint that someone sent my coder, complaining that I "just don't have any luck, and its stupid, this is a BUSINESS"

He does sorta have a point..so far this month:

1. Car needed $650 in repairs to fix an oil leak that corroded off the spark plugs and ruined the wiring. (thanks MIL for the free car, now we know why...)

2. The East Coast Earthquake made my internet spotty for a day or two, so I was randomly disconnecting while talking to people

3. My computer literally almost caught on fire. As mentioned in a previous post, it was reaching temperatures of 98C, which is hot enough to actually cook some foods. I wish I'd tried. $600 in parts there.

4. On our way to vacation, which was nearly ruined by Irene lol, we got into a fairly scary car accident, in which we could've very easily been killed. (We're all fine, thank God. Literally.) But remember I mentioned that we'd JUST gotten the car repaired? Yeah. Another $800 to just get the basic repair done so that its driveable. We can't afford the body repairs.

5. I got hit with a kidney infection that laid me out for a week. Intense pain, severe nausea from the antibiotics...yeah that was fun. I couldn't even walk for several days. -.-

6. As I've talked about in my other CS threads, I kinda have an angry ex-client who has been DDOSing my sites for the past two weeks. One of the sites I run sells licenses to run some flash games we host...well...site down...no games. People flipped. An amazing amount of them couldn't understand that I really can't just magically stop someone hellbent on DDOSing me into the ground. I can bounce back whenever it slows down/gets rerouted/stops, but while it's going on, sorry, nothing I can do. I even showed them the police statements I submitted, and a screenshot of the FBI cyber crime complaint (even though neither have done ANYTHING), but I'm still at fault for all of the downtime somehow.

7. Even though I just bought all new parts for my PC, I forgot one thing. A hard drive. Yep, you guessed it. Two days ago my PC had a massive hard drive failure. It shut off in the middle of me working, and I literally nearly got sick when I tried rebooting it and heard the infamous Click of Death. My husband is a data recovery geek, and we had NO luck whatsoever. He also works at a place where they specialize in data recovery for investigations....wouldn't even read the drive there too. :cry: Everything on it is gone, but thankfully all my work data was backed up. Lost some photos though...

So yes, angry person. I do have unnaturally bad luck. Probably a side effect of owning two black cats, I'd bet. The really sad thing is, this kinda of stuff happens to us all the time. I've just learned to roll with the punches, but I guess it does just seem like I have to be making this stuff up. :lol:

Seraph
09-22-2011, 03:08 PM
Ahahahaha husband just called me after I posted this. "Hey honey? The car won't start....."

You seriously just can't make this stuff up lol

dalesys
09-22-2011, 03:15 PM
"Hey honey? The car won't start....."
Please tell us he didn't have it in Park/Neutral.

Seraph
09-22-2011, 03:17 PM
Nope, he's narrowed it down to either the battery or the starter. -.-

Kogarashi
09-22-2011, 04:05 PM
Nope, he's narrowed it down to either the battery or the starter. -.-

At least the battery's an easy fix? ::hopes it's the battery::

Geek King
09-22-2011, 06:36 PM
I suggest leaving the car's bodywork unless it is causing other issues--even if you do have the money to fix it. After my accident in my first car (Chevy S10) People went out of their way to leave space around my car. I guess it looked like I had no problem ramming my way through traffic, or else needed practice on my demolition derby skills. :lol:

Seraph
09-22-2011, 08:07 PM
I suggest leaving the car's bodywork unless it is causing other issues--even if you do have the money to fix it. After my accident in my first car (Chevy S10) People went out of their way to leave space around my car. I guess it looked like I had no problem ramming my way through traffic, or else needed practice on my demolition derby skills. :lol:

LOL yeah I said heck, its just to match the dent in the hood that the deer gave us!

...we're still finding deer fur in random places in the car. At least its not blowing out the AC anymore, though.

teh_blumchenkinder
09-22-2011, 08:50 PM
<snip>
...we're still finding deer fur in random places in the car. At least its not blowing out the AC anymore, though.
That's hardcore.

At least the breaking of shit will stop at some point... after all, even entropy has to give up at some point... or warranties. Always get the warranties; if you're an entropy vortex, much like myself... :hug:

Seraph
09-23-2011, 12:02 AM
We just found out its the starter. <kicks a tree> Another $150-200, depending on the mechanic we find, LOL....

I seriously hate this car.

dendawg
09-23-2011, 12:50 AM
Here's a little classic Adam Sandler song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-34Fdtg1dI) to cheer you up....I hope. :angel:

TheSHAD0W
09-23-2011, 02:55 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlBiLNN1NhQ

Seraph
09-23-2011, 07:07 PM
you guys are terrible, LOL.....but I totally laughed. Those are epic.

But my husband actually finally told me last night he's honestly considering maybe getting a new car, LOL.

dalesys
09-23-2011, 07:12 PM
you guys are terrible, LOL.....but I totally laughed. Those are epic.
We try to be a brat influence.:angel:

Seraph
09-24-2011, 04:02 PM
well....just got the reply from the mechanic. Starter is toast, its gonna be $300 to fix it with parts + labor.

<cries>

jnd4rusty
09-24-2011, 06:27 PM
Starters can be a pretty easy fix, if it is easy to get to, I have had to replace one before. I would suggest checking out auto places for a refurbished starter and maybe replacing it yourself or purchasing it and have a mechanic install. It could save you lots of money in the long run. $300.00 seems kind of excessive, the last time I needed a starter, about a year ago, it only cost $131.00 for starter and labor. I could not replace my own this time around but like I said, I have done it in the past.

dendawg
09-24-2011, 08:23 PM
IIRC, installing a new starter is relatively easy. The hard part is making sure it's shimmed up right. :angel:

Seraph
09-25-2011, 03:16 AM
Yeah we looked up the starter cost, and the part itself would be $152.00. The bad part was the labor of course, because apparently on Chrysler Cirruses, all the important parts of the engines are in the most difficult places to reach. For a lovely, LOVELY example, the spark plugs are on the side of the engine, and nearly underneath it. A second charming example is that the car battery....is located in the tire well.

...Seriously, labor always kills us whenever we get this car fixed. Its why I want to get a new one. -.-

RootedPhoenix
09-27-2011, 06:11 PM
Good gravy. *files that away* I'll make sure never to buy one! Ick.

Seraph
09-27-2011, 11:46 PM
yeaaaah, don't get me started on this car. If our '86 Honda hadn't died on us, I would've preferred we used that. That Honda was a dedicated, loyal beast.

The '99 Cirrus, on the other hand, is a whiny, nancy-butt car that goes into a fetal position every time it breaks a nail.

ralerin
09-28-2011, 01:58 AM
Your "my computer is running too hot" bit is the same issue I'm having with my Mac. Nevermind the fans going 6000 rpm per minute, it refuses to fall below 114-130F when simply idling. Running itunes will crank it to 144F, running itunes + Safari will crank it another 8-10 degrees. Running Sims2 (on the Wndows side, I will be goddamned if I spend another $300 to buy all the crap packs just for Mac), will blow it up to about 300F and force it to shut down and refuse to turn on again. Sims3 on the Mac side will never make it go below 175. It gets tiresome. And I'm tired of having the damn fans cranked to max. Add to that an expanding battery on the point of a possible kerplooie because of the heat and you understand why I'm angry, don't you.

Frantic Freddie
09-28-2011, 02:11 AM
You young'uns.....

If it wasn't for bad luck,I wouldn't have no luck at all (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1pzXJuvdAY)

;)