PDA

View Full Version : For those interested in work at home opportunities--

Barracuda
09-28-2011, 08:06 PM
Since my comment on Eireann's thread got so much interest, here is a few legitimate work from home positions I have found, if you are interested.

Work from Home Customer Service:
https://home.eease.adp.com/recruit2/?id=512869&t=1

http://www.alpineaccess.com/en/

Work from Home Transcription:

http://www.3playmedia.com/company/jo...script-editor/

http://www.worldwideworkathome.com/transcription.html
I also trust this site, which has a long list of companies that may hire for work at home transcription jobs. As always, however, be cautious. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is, and you should not have to pay ANY legitimate company for training, job placement, or to get work. However, some legitimate companies DO expect you to invest in software and hardware to do your job and will not pay you for the equipment (since most of these are independent contractor positions, not direct hire.) Be aware of this.

I am willing to answer questions about the work itself and anything else I can, however, be aware that I have not worked with all the companies listed and cannot necessarily give more information than is listed on the website.

draggar
09-28-2011, 11:04 PM
Thank you, I've been contemplating some of this since websites haven't paid off that well and I could use some extra cash.

Midnight12
09-29-2011, 12:35 AM
second link says cannot be found third link my virus warning pops up on it

Barracuda
09-29-2011, 12:40 AM
That's....odd. I have no problem finding the second link, and as for the third, that's the company I WORK for. I can assure you they don't have a virus on their website, I'm on there all the time.

Sandman
09-29-2011, 01:57 AM
http://www.3playmedia.com/company/jobs/transcript-editor/

Try that link Midnight, Avast didn't go off on the 3rd link.. maybe false positive.

Eisa
09-29-2011, 02:05 AM
WOT did that for the fourth link for me, but if you look at the score card, almost every person is like "why is this flagged as bad...?" :lol:

ShadowBall
09-29-2011, 04:26 AM
I may need to look into this as well since I have a hard time finding jobs I know I can do and succeeding at interviews. That, and a lot of the other job sites I've been to that would allow working from home didn't pay shit. I need money, but not so badly that I'll write 300 50-cent articles; my writing may be mediocre, but it doesn't outright suck. Nor will I do Google research for six hours a night to earn $40 a month.

Midnight12
09-29-2011, 06:57 PM
I apologize and did not mean to offend. I'm not saying that there is a virus on your page Barracuda, only that the program i use was saying that, probably is a false positive.

Pony_Boy
09-29-2011, 09:17 PM
are these jobs available to people outside the USA? specifically Canada?

Moirae
09-30-2011, 02:07 AM
Thank you so much. I'm going to spend some time on those sites. I need badly OUT of employment by someone else. I'm so sick of it.

How did you find them?

Barracuda
09-30-2011, 06:45 AM
I saw an ad on Craigslist for 3Play, where I currently work. This intrigued me, so I tried a Google search with Work at Home Transcriptionist. I searched a few sites and found some that were legitimate. As far as Canada goes, I believe some of the sites on Worldwideworkathome would be in Canada. I also think that Alpine may hire Canadian employees, however, I am not sure. You would need to check the site.

Moirae
09-30-2011, 04:52 PM
You work for 3play Barracuda?

dalesys
09-30-2011, 07:12 PM
You work for 3play Barracuda?
Barracuda, plead the 505th Amendment!

... I refuse to answer on the grounds I may get fried fired...:p

Barracuda
10-02-2011, 06:55 AM
Yes, I am currently an independent contractor with 3Play.

Moirae
10-02-2011, 06:59 PM
How is the work? Do you make much from them? I've been seeing places on the net talking about how work is sporadic, but honestly there aren't that many people that talk about it.

RootedPhoenix
10-05-2011, 11:04 PM
I have a question, and this seems like the place to ask. What is the job title for someone who turns a written document into a recording. (Transcriptionists appear to only turn recordings into written documents, so that's why I'm asking.)

tropicsgoddess
10-06-2011, 12:40 AM
I saw an ad on Craigslist for 3Play, where I currently work. This intrigued me, so I tried a Google search with Work at Home Transcriptionist. I searched a few sites and found some that were legitimate. As far as Canada goes, I believe some of the sites on Worldwideworkathome would be in Canada. I also think that Alpine may hire Canadian employees, however, I am not sure. You would need to check the site.

RatRaceRebellion.com (http://www.ratracerebellion.com/) is a good site to find legit work at home jobs for the US (and some in Canada). :)

Moirae
10-06-2011, 02:37 PM
RatRaceRebellion.com (http://www.ratracerebellion.com/) is a good site to find legit work at home jobs for the US (and some in Canada). :)

Unfortunately, that site doesn't give a very good impression when you click the link. What a mess.

tropicsgoddess
10-06-2011, 02:43 PM
Unfortunately, that site doesn't give a very good impression when you click the link. What a mess.

It looks funky but the jobs are legit. As a matter of fact, I found my job with them. I am a work at home technical support rep and an employee instead of an independent contractor! :D

Moirae
10-06-2011, 03:14 PM
Nice. I'm taking a look at the web site right now.

Actually, I just talked to the IT tech that does contract IT work for the current company I'm with. He's a great guy, and has started his own business. He says he's so busy that he doesn't have time to do alot of the paperwork, and he wants to set up a website, and get a logo, etc. He just hasn't had the chance because his business has picked up so much. He's thinking that probably within six months, he's going to have to start hiring help. So, I may have a chance. I'd love to work for him. I love computers, and he'd be having me doing stuff I know I'm good at like desktop publishing and the like.

Since you're working at home, can you give us any information on what its like? Do you enjoy it? Do you regret it? How is your money situation in comparison to what it was when you were going into the office? That sort of thing.

tropicsgoddess
10-06-2011, 06:39 PM
Since you're working at home, can you give us any information on what its like? Do you enjoy it? Do you regret it? How is your money situation in comparison to what it was when you were going into the office? That sort of thing.

It's nice that I don't have to worry about costs for transportation or clothes and dress code. It's the first work at home job I've had where I'm on the phones and call center people know that toward the end of your training, you sit with an experienced rep and "shadow" or "double jack" with them to get a feel for the calls and software you'd use once you're on your own. With being at home, I listen to the calls the trainers pull up with my class. In the "nesting" phase of training, we take calls but we have our trainers and senior reps there to help us via chat. When we hit production either our supervisor or another supervisor that's available helps out via chat if there's any questions. I did make less than my old job when I was in Florida doing tech support in a traditional call center but the perks are better for me. The health insurance for one and the fact that I've already accrued almost 2 hours of vacation time on my first two weeks of training instead of after the customary probationary period most companies have. Not all call center jobs take you in as an employee, some take you in as an independent contractor. The downer was that I waited a good while to get word back on my application since the company and their competitors (and other companies that employ telecommute/work at home employees) get high volumes of applicants and candidates to work at home. I do have to work on my scheduled shift at all times and while I'm on a call, I can't have anything distracting in the background (pets, tv and cellphone blaring,etc.) or I would lose my job if they catch it on my call. You do have to have the discipline to work at home for any job and be able to sit and be on the computer for long periods of time if you want to do full-time work. Some WAH companies can be stricter than others with attendance which is understandble since there's not much of an excuse to be out from work since you work at home (other than system issues, emergencies, disasters and illness). Other than that, I like it and if and when I have children I'd like to do that so that I can be with them and not worry so much about daycare.

powerboy
10-07-2011, 12:47 AM
I want to personally thank you for the links. I was interested in working from home. Thank you again.

Barracuda
10-07-2011, 08:41 AM
You're quite welcome. To answer an earlier question, I found the cash flow comparable in some ways to earlier jobs, and I did save quite a bit of money on gas. Now that I am an independent contractor, sometimes the cash flow is better than my previous jobs, sometimes not as good. Unfortunately, I have pretty much stopped working the call center from home job as I was having, literally, a nervous breakdown--suicidal thoughts, panic and anxiety attacks, the whole nine yards. You should be aware there are downsides as well to working at home, such as not having a supervisor to help keep you on task, being surrounded by your leisure activities (TV, radio, video games, books, etc.) and I work in my bedroom. Having my own bed literally feet away from me while I am trying to work makes me give in to the urge to nap more often then I would like to admit, especially when I am tired. It also can be lonely, you don't have coworkers to talk to and socialize with, at least, not in person, and chat can be kind of impersonal. The earning potential, however, is there. I believe most office based jobs will eventually be done from home as technology progresses; certainly, I can't see companies continuing to waste money and time on renting and equipping call centers when work at home software makes it so much cheaper and more effective.

Barracuda
10-07-2011, 08:51 AM
Ah, let me see. In terms of pay, work can be sporadic, and you have to be diligent about claiming it, especially when it's not as busy. However, if you are willing to work hard you can make up to $400 a week or perhaps more, although you will be VERY busy maintaining that pace unless you get very quick transcribing files. There are files that are worth as much as $2.25 per minute of audio transcribed, but those are very difficult files to do quickly-poor audio, heavy accents, people all talking together, etc. The average file is about $0.60-0.90 per minute, and I can do a couple paragraphs in about 3 minutes. I earned about $335 in a week, that's my top earning so far. Be aware that you have to pay taxes quarterly since you are technically a business. Some people may argue that it's better to take more lower paying files since you can do them faster and earn more in the same amount of time; others may argue it's better to take fewer higher paying jobs. It's up to you. I like the work, and I can assure you this is a real opportunity, I have received about $400 from them so far in pay.

Moirae
10-07-2011, 12:28 PM
Call center... I won't take that job. I did an outsourced Comcast call center job for 6 months. I started having horrific nightmares that I was being physically tortured every day I was coming in to work and had to quit because I was waking up crying all the time.

I'm working a call center right now, but for reservations. I hate it with an unbridled passion.

I want to get the hell off the phones. If I never had another phone call in my life, I'd be fine with it. I'm on the phone so much at work that I've gotten to the point where I call my family maybe every six months even though we live in another country. I just can't stand the thought of being on the phone. Though we do send alot of emails and post on facebook alot. I have no idea why I hate the phone so much, but I do.

Since I love computers and am on it no matter what I'm doing with no problem, I'd like to do more desktop publishing, and data entry stuff and get the hell off the damned phones.

I type up to 120 wpm so I'm not worried about that part.

Anyway, if I get the chance I'll come back later. I've run out of time, and its time to go to that stupid annoying job on the phones.

tropicsgoddess
10-07-2011, 02:21 PM
Call center... I won't take that job. I did an outsourced Comcast call center job for 6 months. I started having horrific nightmares that I was being physically tortured every day I was coming in to work and had to quit because I was waking up crying all the time.

I'm working a call center right now, but for reservations. I hate it with an unbridled passion.

I want to get the hell off the phones. If I never had another phone call in my life, I'd be fine with it. I'm on the phone so much at work that I've gotten to the point where I call my family maybe every six months even though we live in another country. I just can't stand the thought of being on the phone. A lot of fellow phone reps I know are the same way too. Though we do send alot of emails and post on facebook alot. I have no idea why I hate the phone so much, but I do.

Since I love computers and am on it no matter what I'm doing with no problem, I'd like to do more desktop publishing, and data entry stuff and get the hell off the damned phones.

I type up to 120 wpm so I'm not worried about that part.

Anyway, if I get the chance I'll come back later. I've run out of time, and its time to go to that stupid annoying job on the phones.

There's plenty transcription and writing jobs that you can do, especially with you having such an incredibly fast typing speed (I'm 60wpm....I look slow as hell next to you)! You're not the only one. Because I've been on the phones for 8 years I barely ever talk on my phone. I Skype my family (they're out of state) and I chat on Facebook, and Google talk chat. But unless I really have to, I don't talk on the phone. I'll be honest, because I've done the call center rep thing for so long, I've become jaded and liked talking on the phone even less than I used to. Hell, it feels weird sometimes if I talk on the phone without a headset! I've tried (and unfortunately failed) with trying to move up or get away in some way from being the phone . Hopefully this time I'll succeed. I think you'll succeed in your quest for getting off the phone and when you and I do, let's have a headset and phone bonfire! :D:devil:

Moirae
10-07-2011, 03:08 PM
lol. That would be excellent. All of it. I hate the phone and its good to see I'm not the only one. Its weird, and I don't know why it bugs me so much. Even as a teenager, I'm one of those weird ones that used the phone rarely.

Barracuda
10-08-2011, 06:15 AM
I'm with both of you. I think it's pretty much we hate the phone because we have become conditioned to hate it, but I am the same way. Even when the phone rings and its my home phone, I cringe. I don't want to answer it. I hate talking on the phone, and the mere sound of my work phone going off makes me start to have a panic attack. I literally cannot do it anymore; call center jobs just use you up. It's something to do with the constant barrage of calls (they like to be constantly busy, it makes them more money,) and the normal stresses of customer service work. I will never work in a call center again. I literally cannot do the job anymore, I would lose any CC job I tried to do.

Moirae
10-08-2011, 05:33 PM
I read on cnn that working a call center is the most stressful job out there. Yes, that includes jobs where you're getting shot at. Scary. It explains alot too. And yes, I feel aggravated (not just annoyed) whenever the phone rings. Like I just want to throttle the person on the other side, even when they've been nice to me. I can't ever do this again.

Lindsey
10-10-2011, 08:07 PM
I'm a bit late to this party, but SEO/search engine-optimized writing is a good way to work at home and make some bucks. I applied with no formal qualifications (I'm in college but haven't graduated so no degree yet) and no experience writing professionally, and was judged and hired solely on basis of the writing sample I provided.

It pays low per article, (you start writing articles for $2 and $3 and work your way up, I'm now getting anywhere from $7 to $20 per), but if you learn to work fast you can make $20 or $30 an hour. I'm currently making $100-$200 a week just writing for an hour a day when I have time between commitments.

I'm in school and don't have time for a day job, but this makes enough money for me to pay my relatively few bills and buy groceries. That leaves my 8-hour a week tutoring job for pocket money. If anyone wants some info, send me a message and I'll be glad to hook you up.

ETA:

I am currently writing for TCA and can attest to their reliability (regular weekly paychecks every Monday, super fast tech service if you run into a problem):
http://www.thecontentauthority.com/ (http://thecontentauthority.com/)

I haven't written for Demand Studios but a lot of people say they're great as well.
http://www.demandstudios.com/

The people at this forum may be able to help you if you have any specific questions, and they know about websites and opportunities that I don't:
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=200

smileyeagle1021
10-11-2011, 01:11 AM
There's plenty transcription and writing jobs that you can do, especially with you having such an incredibly fast typing speed (I'm 60wpm....I look slow as hell next to you)

Something you might look into to increase your speed is Dragon Naturally speaking (http://shop.nuance.com/store/nuanceus/html/pbPage.dragon-11/ThemeID.19435600?utm_medium=ps&utm_source=Bing&utm_campaign=Dragon&utm_term=what_is_dragon_naturally_speaking&resid=TpOWtwoBAlUAACKCYMoAAAAu&rests=1318295223976)
They have software packages as low as $75, and I know from experience, even me with my slight speech impediment can get over 200 wpm with something like 97% accuracy. This thing is practically designed for transcribing (it's what we use in the relay center and the captioning center, and I know most network television companies use it for their closed caption as well). It's not cheap, but if it can boost your speed and earnings it may be worth it... best part, as an independent contractor, you may be able to write the cost off your taxes on your schedule C.

And thank you for the links, I may have to look into those, I'm so done where I'm working... the relationship ended two months ago and we're both just waiting for the other to admit it, they can't fire me because without cause they'd have to pay out on unemployment and I can't quit because I can't afford not to have a job.

Moirae
10-11-2011, 01:53 AM
Yeah, I'm to that point too smiley. But I am scared to try these because I'm scared I'll only make a fraction of what I used to. I already don't make that much. What I do make is needed. So I'm not sure what to do. Because places just aren't hiring. Yeah, some are, but they're receiving so many resume's that the chances you'll even be contacted for an interview are miniscule.

smileyeagle1021
10-11-2011, 02:20 AM
Barracuda (or anyone else familiar) what are they talking about when they say you have to have a foot pedal?
I've seen it on several of the job listings and I have no clue what it is.

Barracuda
10-11-2011, 09:06 AM
It's exactly what they say it is, a transcription USB foot pedal. You use it in some transcription programs to pause and continue audio playback so your hands are free to continue typing. I believe some of them also have additional controls to rewind and fast forward, and some transcription programs (quite a few, actually,) don't work without it. However, I don't use one because the company I work for uses its own software that has its own pause button.
It not only plays back audio, but does an automatic transcription as well. The software is unable to do it perfectly, however, so my job is to edit for accuracy (and sometimes do the transcription myself where the software can't understand an accent or technical terms.)