PDA

View Full Version : The Foundation (IC)

Pages : [1] 2 3

KabeRinnaul
11-05-2011, 04:49 AM
(This is where we're starting things off (http://www.customerssuck.com/board/showthread.php?t=83597). Everyone meets with a current FEND agent who recruits them into the foundation. Of course, those who refuse the invitation tend to be marked as rogue supernaturals themselves. Anyone can post their own setup to their invitation, or just ask me to start it off.)

Mytical
11-06-2011, 12:07 AM
Fred had almost gotten himself killed..again. He had climbed a tree to get good photographs of a cheating spouse, and had been struck by one of his more powerful visions. He had fell, it was good he had only manged to get about halfway up. Now, he waited for the vision to come true.

He had arrived home, packed, called the client to tell them the photos were in the mail and they did not owe him anything. Then, he waited by the entrance where he knew his visitor would arrive.

Right on time the knock came on the door. He opened it, travel bags already ready. Before the FEND agents could even introduce themselves. "I'm ready. You can tell Cyan and Jasmine that the tranquilizers will not be needed. I am not really a fighter, and I've been expecting you. As you can see.." he holds up the travel bags "I am coming peacefully."

The agents, as trained as they are, could not help but be left with their mouths open. Fred really didn't know as much as he was letting on, only that they had come to make him part of some organization. They were paying well, and to be honest the private eye business was getting to him. He didn't know how many more cheating spouses he could take.

Sarlon
11-06-2011, 01:02 AM
Sarah could never remember a time when she hadn't lived on the streets, on the run from god only knew what. Small and skinny for her age, she owned precious little but the clothes on her back.

She remembered the day the adults came looking for her...alone one moment, and suddenly 2 men in fancy suits were in her hideout.

"dammit..." she thought, "more adults..."

she placed the sweetest most innocent smile on her face and looked at both men. "why hello gentlemen, to what do I owe the pleasure of this visit."

KabeRinnaul
11-06-2011, 03:37 PM
Mytical
One of the agents recovers more quickly and gives a slightly embarrassed cough before nudging his partner into composing himself, then returns his attention to Fred.

"That's good to know, Mr. Masters. Though we hope you don't take all this as being forced. We always make an offer first, and I can assure you it's worth it."

The other agent speaks in a low voice to his parter. "Hey, nobody told us this guy was psychic."

Which gets him another quick jab at his side and a low "Shut up, Winchester."

Sarlon
One of the men nods to her. "Hello, Sarah. We're here because we've heard you can do things most people can't, and see things most people don't. What you have is a one in a million talent, and we could use your help. How would you like to work for us?"

Mytical
11-06-2011, 05:25 PM
"Please call me Fred. I am well aware of the offer you are about to make me, and it is more then generous. Which is why I prepared my bags in advance. In a way, I think I should be thanking you. One more run away, or cheating spouse case and I'd probably scream. I want a real challenge, and from what I have seen..the group you work for can provide it. Shall we go then?" Fred was nowhere near as calm as he sounded, but he was an experienced private investigator. He knew how to at least SEEM calm. Truth was, he was more then half guessing what was waiting for him.

KabeRinnaul
11-06-2011, 06:08 PM
Mytical
The first one nods. "Alright, Fred. For a number of reasons, we don't generally give out our names. At least not outside of our closer associates. But you can call me Browning."

And the other speaks up. "And I'm Winchester. We've got a car waiting."

They lead him to a car waiting at the end of his drive, which soon takes them to a small local airport not far from his home. They then board a small plane, with Winchester flying, and eventually land in what signs indicate to be Kansas City. But rather than exiting the terminal, Browning and Winchester lead Fred down an unmarked stairwell behind a few "no unauthorized personnel" signs.

Winchester stops at a door at the bottom of the stairs. "All right, this is where we get to the fun part."

He pulls out a keycard and unlocks the door, leading them through to what seems to be a small subway station. A single one-car train awaits them, apparently a maglev of some type.

As they board, Browning gives him a warning. "Hang on tight. This one's a bit of a ride."

The train takes off, accelerating rapidly and giving the impression it's easily reaching over 100 MPH. Needless to say, they very quickly reach the next station.

Browning turns to Fred as they disembark. "Welcome to FEND division 7. Try not to be too disappointed by the decor, the higher-ups are a very practical bunch."

And he has a point. It looks like the sublevels of any office building, and the two inform him that they were in fact in the basement levels of a building downtown.

Sarlon
11-07-2011, 12:19 AM
"You're social workers aren't you...listen...as I told the last bunch I have parents they just ain't here at the moment."

sarah eyes them warily.

dragon_wings
11-07-2011, 01:02 AM
Siobhan was sitting in the library at MIT. A few years ago studying languages here had seemed like such an awesome idea. Now all she wanted to do was quit. She could speak the languages she was studying fluently but was being forced to doing the most boring busy work. College was supposed to challenge her and she had never been more bored.
She looked at time on her phone and realized it was much later then she thought. Which is why it surprised her when she heard a distant door open... Then close.
As she was gathering her stuff two people approached her table. Her first thought was that they looked very MIB. Then her empathy kicked in.
They were feeling very cautious... And hopeful... On guard... Ready for a chase... Or to attack... Assessing her.
Siobhan decided not to make it easy on them and asked 'An féidir liom cabhru leat?' ('May I help you?' in Gaelic)
Her accent was definitely Irish but that of someone that's lived in America for more then a few years.

KabeRinnaul
11-07-2011, 03:44 AM
Sarlon
The other one speaks now. "It... would be a pretty big stretch to call us that."

The first shrugs. "Black would."

The second turns to him. "Well, yeah, but Black's full of-"

He's interrupted by a cough from the first.

And the second turns back to her. "Sorry. But no, we're not here to put you in a home or anything. We're honestly offering you a place with us. We track down and handle things that are out of the ordinary. From what we've been told, the research department thinks you'll be a big asset."

Dragon Wings
It's a man and a woman in her case. The woman blinks at that and looks to her partner.

He steps forward and replies to her in the same language, just as fluently (though I'm not that great with languages so just pretend it's in gaelic) {Yes, you can.} And switches to English. "Though for the sake of my partner, would you mind having this conversation in English?"

Sarlon
11-07-2011, 12:16 PM
"Could I leave anytime I wanted? like say things get to hinky? And don't talk to me like a child! I'm nearly 16!"

dragon_wings
11-07-2011, 03:03 PM
Siobhan glances at the woman then responds 'I suppose. Are you here to 'take me away'?'

Jay 2K Winger
11-07-2011, 03:41 PM
St. Louis | A week ago

Supervisory Special Agent Hal Lindy regarded the scene at large, from the scattered furniture in the living area, to the kitchen, where the... deed had been done. He looked back up at Joseph "Joey" Monfries. "All right. We think we've nailed it down, Monfries. Let's see if you can figure it out." He folded his arms. "Let's hear your famous intuition and insight on the case."

Joey took a deep breath. It was always a trick, wasn't it, phrasing his "insights" to only go off the given evidence, and not bring to light his "gifts." It wasn't always easy, especially given some of the things he saw. He took a slow circuit of the living area, making a show of examining much of the mess, then crouching by one of the evidence markers. "What was right here?" he asked over his shoulder.

Lindy turned to the local detective, who handed over a clear envelope containing a shell casing. Nine-millimeter. Joey took this and looked at it, then shook it out of the plastic and held it in one latex-gloved hand. He squeezed this, turning away as if in thought, and when neither of them could see him, he carefully used the edge of the shell to slice the latex on his glove so it could touch the skin of his finger.

He managed to avoid twitching as information suddenly pounded into his brain. Once he was finished, he held the casing up, as if examining it in the light, then tucked it back in the plastic envelope. He turned to Lindy and handed it back. "Okay. Here's what I think happened..."

He glanced to the kitchen area, blanching as he looked at the stains. "The victim either knew the unsub* or expected them to come here. No sign of B&E to indicate otherwise. The lack of defensive wounds means the victim was caught by surprise and/or incapacitated." Joey nodded at the casing. "I think the unsub shot the victim to subdue her, so he could take his time with..." He glanced briefly at the kitchen, then turned away, looking ill. "...the rest."

"Wouldn't neighbors have heard the gunshot?" the local detective asked.

Joey shook his head and pointed out the window. They looked, and saw the half-finished deck next door. "Neighbors are having that deck built, and the construction workers were using nail-guns. The unsub timed his shot to coincide with their work, so it just blended in with the rest of the noise."

And so it went. Over the next several minutes, Joey detailed as much information as he dared on the unsub. That the unsub worked for Charter, ostensibly as a cable installer, and there was a lot of upgrade work being done in the neighborhood, so no one thought the van was out of place, not even for the amount of time he'd been there. Joey had claimed to deduce this from the Charter Communications mail on the table in the front hall, and had pointed out the Charter van they'd passed coming in to the scene. The knives and instruments used to cut and bludgeon the victim had been taken from the kitchen, rather than being brought by the unsub.

The savagery from the attack pointed to the unsub being an angry person, and that all of the victims-- in a variety of different neighborhoods, and never more than one in each-- had been fairly well-off. The destruction to the rest of the house had been in response to a deep-seated envy of their success and comfort. The unsub was from a poor, working-class background, someone who couldn't afford luxuries and lived paycheck-to-paycheck, and even that was a struggle.

"What was the trigger?" Lindy asked. Aware the local detective might not know the terminology, he added, "Why this victim?"

Joey shrugged. "I can't determine that from the evidence here. But his rage was focused on the victim and her belongings," he gestured around. "But..." he pointed at one chair, whereupon were stacked the pictures of the victim and her family. "He didn't have anything against her children. All the pictures with children in them were left alone, but if it had her or the husband, it was left alone. I don't have an explanation for that."

He spread his hands. "Anything else, Hal?" he asked his boss.

Lindy shrugged. "No. You pretty much nailed everything. You sure you didn't see any reports we sent back to Valdez at the Bureau?"

Joey shook his head. "Nothing. I try to stay fresh until I'm on the scene."

"How'd you work all that out?" the local detective demanded. "I mean, you hardly looked at the victim--"

"Agent Monfries doesn't deal well with looking at blood," Lindy interrupted. "As for the rest... well, Joey's like our very own Sherlock Holmes. He derives some pretty accurate insights from the briefest of glances. Even I wonder how he does it sometimes."

Joey gave a wan smile. "It's a gift," he said. He pulled off his gloves and turned to Lindy. "Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm on the verge of having dry heaves just from being by that," he nodded at the kitchen scene. "I'm going to go be sick..."

Arlington, Va. | Now

Joey finished typing up his report and sent it off to be filed, closing his laptop. He pinched the bridge of his nose and looked at his hands again. There was nothing strange-looking about them. Nothing to indicate that he got these 'flashes of insight' when he touched something.

And that wasn't taking into account the things he thought he saw elsewhere, when he wasn't getting those flashes. He always chalked them up to lack of sleep, even when he was well-rested. It was just his imagination running away with him. But he really hoped it wasn't a case of the 'flashes' doing other, bad, things to his mind.

* FBI jargon, "unknown subject"

KabeRinnaul
11-07-2011, 05:46 PM
Sarlon
"Sorry. Your file indicated you were a bit younger. But yes, while you can leave active duty with us, we will need to keep track of you once you do. It's just a precaution we take."

Dragon Wings
The woman speaks now, as both agents take seats across from her. "Not quite. This is more of an offer. We try to find people with extraordinary abilities, such as seeing things other people can't, and recruit them into our organization. You seem to fall into that category. And then the job is to, well... We're here to protect people from the things that go bump in the night."

Jay 2K
Jay hears someone entering the offices. Odd, since he's supposed to be the only one here this late. But if someone's in here, security had to let them in. Soon a woman in professional attire approaches his desk and pulls a chair up to sit across from him. "Good evening, Mr. Monfries. I've heard you are very good at what you do, and have a special case to present to you."

Jay 2K Winger
11-07-2011, 06:10 PM
Arlington, VA

Joey glanced up as he heard someone moving around, eyes narrowing. He glanced at the clock, then subtly moved his hand to his drawer, sliding his pistol into his lap.

When the woman approaches, he relaxes slightly, but only just, keeping the pistol ready, though out of sight. "This is slightly outside of protocol," Joey pointed out. "Most cases aren't handed directly to agents, they're sent up to our unit chief from local PDs."

He regarded her levelly. Something about her just struck him as wrong, and he couldn't place a reason on it. His fingers twitched. If she handed him a folder or something pertaining to this 'special case,' he might find out why he was having that feeling.

"But..." Joey glanced around, then gave a shrug. "All right. What is this 'special case?'"

dragon_wings
11-07-2011, 06:28 PM
'You're here to protect me? From the things that go bump in the night?' Siobhan said skeptically.
'I've taken care of myself for 20+ years now. What more can you do for me that I haven't already done?'

KabeRinnaul
11-07-2011, 06:38 PM
Jay 2K
"The organization I work for tends to have certain privileges when it comes to access and clearance." She pulls a manila envelope out and hands it to him. Inside are a set of crime scene reports from a number of different cities, all with the same MO: knife attack against someone alone in a home after dark, and evidence of either cannibalism or the victim being fed to an animal. While the attacks and subsequent dismemberment indicate human intellect, the bite marks on the victims and their remains are distinctly non-human. Fortunately for him, what few photos there are focus on the bite and knife wounds, which the blood mainly cleaned away.

Dragon Wings
She shakes her head. "No, we're asking you to join us in being the protectors."

dragon_wings
11-07-2011, 06:44 PM
'You're asking me for help?' asks Siobhan slightly startled. Her opinion of the two is raised slightly. She's still weary of them but now is more willing to listen.
'I'd like to hear more, if possible, before making a decision.' she states.

Jay 2K Winger
11-07-2011, 06:45 PM
Arlington, VA

Joey regards the woman again as she states the nature of her organization's clearance and access, and decides not to ask further. He can always find out more later. He takes the folder from her, leaving his gun in his lap where it couldn't be seen, and opens the file, reading over the information within. His eyes track over the information and photos-- noting with relief the lack of blood-- and frowns.

"Interesting." He leans his head to one side. "The victims are all stabbed," he consults the file, "and then savaged by some kind of animal? It's no surprise this hasn't tripped our attention prior to now, given how spread out the attacks are, in all these different cities." Joey frowns. "The unsub in this case would have some kind of trained attack animal-- dog or something canine," he looks at the bite marks. "I think," he amends.

"But it's strange. Something about this case..." Joey's brow furrows as he looks at the pictures and information. "...it just seems wrong." He reaches out with a hand and presses his fingers to the picture, hoping that one of his "flashes" would give him some help.

KabeRinnaul
11-07-2011, 08:14 PM
Dragon Wings
The woman nods. "Have you ever seen flashes of people on the street... changing? Taking on an appearance that isn't entirely human? That's because they aren't, and certain people, maybe one in a million, have the ability to see through the illusion to what they really are. Some can do ever more than than." She gestures to her partner. "Agent Savant here has the innate ability to understand any spoken language."

"It proved useful when I was in Iraq. We were always short on translators. The Foundation picked me up after the end of my second tour."

The woman takes over again. "While a great deal of our work is in the field and can get a bit, well, down and dirty, there is also a research division that aims to better understand these beings and how to defend against them."

Jay 2K
He gets a brief flash of the crime scene, as if he were standing in the photographer's place. This unfortunately means he gets to see rather a lot of blood, but he also gets a good look around, considering how brief the flash was. There are no indications of an animal being present - no fur, no paw prints, no claw marks - aside from the bites. Furthermore, everything seems very... methodical.

When he comes back, it seems he missed something the woman was saying. "Are you alright, Mister Monfries?"

Jay 2K Winger
11-07-2011, 08:18 PM
Arlington, VA

The flash that Joey got was a lot stronger than he expected. He blinks several times, and he is a bit pale when the 'flash' subsided. He takes a deep breath and looks at the pictures again.

"Methodical," he murmurs to himself. Then he's aware that his guest had said something. He looks up. "Sorry, what? I was just... this seems very methodical, even with the animal bites." A glance at the pictures. "I can't imagine a trained animal would be this... organized in its attacks." A frown. "...very unusual."

dragon_wings
11-07-2011, 08:33 PM
'I get more flashes of emotion and insight into what a person's thinking or feeling. Never concrete, more generalized. But I believe it when you say there are those that aren't who or what they appear to be.' replies Siobhan.
'As to languages, I'm just good with them and love learning new ones.'

KabeRinnaul
11-07-2011, 08:58 PM
Jay 2K
"I could take you to the scene. One of the most recent attacks happened just an hour from here." She's watching him carefully.

Dragon Wings
Savant shrugs. "It was never a real interest for me. I just one day on patrol I noticed I could make out what a couple Iraqis were saying. A call went out for more translators, and I joined up saying I'd been learning."

Back to the woman. "And then we heard about him from a contact in the army when he came home, and were waiting to speak with him the trip back after that. But what kind of contact have you have with the ENs... excuse me, non-humans, around here?"

Jay 2K Winger
11-07-2011, 09:05 PM
Arlington, VA

Joey hesitates when the woman says that. He has a bad feeling about this case, but he's too intrigued now to back out. He needs to know the resolution of all this. He considers for several moments. "That might be best," he says after a while. "I tend to 'read' scenes better when I'm there. I get more insight on the scene than I do from," he gestures at the file, "words and pictures."

He stands, strapping on his gun and picking up his jacket. "So. Lead on, Miss...?" he leaves the question dangling. He already had picked up something from the file when he touched it, but he didn't want to tip his hand to that yet.

dragon_wings
11-07-2011, 09:28 PM
'Not much. I'm just aware that they exist.' say Siobhan.

KabeRinnaul
11-07-2011, 09:42 PM
Jay 2K
"Agent Romanza. My car is just out front." They head downstairs and out to her car.

She lets him spend the drive reviewing the files, going from the highway, to a state route, to a county road, until finally reaching a roped-off house in a town called Calverton, according to the signs.

(if he'd have any questions on the drive just go ahead and ask them and we can have a couple posts en-route)

"This latest one is from just two days ago. It's not in that file yet. Everything's still being processed."

Dragon Wings
"Some just go about their business without troubling anyone. Others can be more predatory. But what do you think so far, given what we've told you?"

dragon_wings
11-07-2011, 09:58 PM
'It sounds like it'd be interesting. More interesting then this,' she says holding up the assignment she had been working on.
'As long as I stay interested I'm in.'

Jay 2K Winger
11-07-2011, 10:02 PM
Arlington to Calverton

"Well, you already know my name, Agent Romanza," Joey said as he tucked everything back into the file, reflecting as he did that she was lying about her name, but then, he understood about pseudo vs true-name. "Lead on."

During the drive, Joey studied the file again. In his mind's eye, he was plotting out the attacks on a mental map. But he couldn't see a pattern there, yet. Maybe it had something to do with the order of the attacks. The dates and victim identities in the file had been redacted, even if the locations weren't. Whoever Romanza and her organization were, they wanted him to know where these were happening, but not when. He knew the order of the attacks, but not dates. No pattern there, either. Maybe the unsub attacked on a particular schedule, allowing for travel time from location to location. But there were too many unknowns.

He was silent for most of it, turning his profiler's mind to the task. "Did the victims have anything in common? I'm assuming they're not otherwise connected to one another, like relatives or acquaintances or similar. If they had been, you would have said so, and this wouldn't be something you'd approach us for."

He needed to find the connection. If it were just wild animals attacking, it would be one thing. Strange, certainly, but nothing that would be poking at his brain with this inherent Wrongness like this. But the stabbing, and the methodical nature of the attacks? No, there was something to this, and he needed to find out what it was.

KabeRinnaul
11-07-2011, 10:56 PM
Jay 2K
"Nothing aside from age range, and even that's shaky. Out of the nine so far, six have been in the 18-24 range, one in her 30s, and two in high school. The teens were the most badly torn apart. And there's a preference towards women - six versus three men. But in their lives and work? No. Some travel, some never left their home towns, one worked for the government, two for major corporations, four in retail and fast food, and two unemployed - one of the 20-somethings had been laid off, and one of the teens had never held a job."

Dragon Wings (sorry, overlooked yours)
"I'm certain it will be. We just need to take you to the regional office to get you acquainted with things. Could you leave tonight or do you need a few days?"

Jay 2K Winger
11-07-2011, 11:35 PM
En route to Calverton

Joey grimaced as Romanza detailed more information about the victims. "So, your basic random assortment of victims." He sighed. "There's not much else I can glean from these reports." And that much was true. While he had some glimmers of his "insight," there was nothing he could spin into explaining it. Something about Romanza made him uneasy, and it wasn't just her nebulous "organization." He didn't want to tip his hand about his "gift."

He closed the file and leaned his head back. "Let's hope I can figure out more when we get to the scene." He looked up as they approached the roped-off house, and took a few deep breaths to try to center himself. This was going to be messy, and it wouldn't do to vomit all over the crime scene when they walked in.

dragon_wings
11-07-2011, 11:51 PM
'Screw this place. I'm ready.' Siobhan says.

Sarlon
11-08-2011, 12:22 AM
(bloody work and bloody over time...))

sarah stands slinging a small backpack over her shoulder.

"fine I'll come, but so help me god if you folks put me in a rubber room. I'm NOT crazy...I can't help what I see..."

KabeRinnaul
11-08-2011, 12:23 AM
Jay 2K
She leads him in. There's only a token police presence to keep people out, as apparently the press has been kept away from this. Also with the police is a man in a black suit - another one of Romanza's people, judging from his nod towards her as she gets out of the car. The body has been removed, but it's easy to see where it was lying due to the blood stains. "Nothing seems to have been taken out of the home, and nothing brought in and left behind. If you need them, we have photographs of the crime scene as it was found."

Dragon Wings
"Alright then. We've got a car outside. Go ahead and get anything you need, and we can be off."

Sarlon
"Don't worry, every one of us sees them too. It's the basic criteria for being asked to join."

They lead her outside to a waiting car.

Kheldarson
11-08-2011, 12:25 AM
The crowd had been sparse that day, so Loren didn't really have enough to get even a basic burger after her show. She sighed as she pushed herself away from her impromptu stage. At least she had noticed some prime targets while she had performed. Choosing one at random, some strange guy with really sharp teeth, she followed behind him, waiting until he stopped for a cab to bump into him. She muttered a hurried "Sorry" before rushing off. That bump had given her just enough opportunity to use her ability to shift his wallet from his pocket into her own.

Sarlon
11-08-2011, 12:52 AM
Sarah looks into the car then back at the men.

"fancy car for an ABC agency...sure you want me in it?"

Jay 2K Winger
11-08-2011, 01:31 AM
Calverton

Joey shook his head. "No. I... prefer to go in as cold as possible on scenes." This was technically a lie, as knowing what the higher-ups already "knew" helped him know how much to reveal later. But this case was already... Wrong. "But keep them handy just in case."

He glanced at the other Suit (as he was mentally labeling Romanza and her organization until he was given a name to go with it), then took a deep breath to center himself before stepping into the scene.

"Okay, let's see what there is to see..." He knew the scene was going to be bloody, just from the flash he got from touching the photograph earlier, and started to scan the scene, filing as much as he could before he tried to flash on anything.

KabeRinnaul
11-08-2011, 01:46 AM
Kheldarson
As she turns back through the crowd to make her escape, someone else bumps her and her own pocket feels suddenly lighter. If she checks, in place of the wallet she finds a note: "Nice lift, but I can cheat at it just as well as you. We should probably have a chat." It concludes with a phone number.

Sarlon
"Why not? We've had worse than someone living on the streets in here before."

Jay 2K
The body was butchered where it fell, first of all. There's no indications anything was moved around for that. No murder weapon is at the scene. Either it was taken out of the house, or the killer brought his own along. However, he does spot something under the corner of a nearby couch - a cross pendant that looks to be made of solid iron. It looks very old, possibly an antique, but the chain has been snapped. And it's been splashed with blood - likely it was on the body and either thrown or kicked that direction.

Apparently the police overlooked it.

Sarlon
11-08-2011, 01:49 AM
Sarah shrugs and hugging the backpack to her chest gets into the car, scooting all the way as far over as she can looking about nervously, while barely whispering.

"good bye mom..."

sarah is looking at a point over the agents shoulders, blinking rapidly before turning back to look at anyone else in the car briefly.

Kheldarson
11-08-2011, 01:56 AM
It's several hours later before she finally decides to call. "Hi, I found this note made out to me with a number? Something about a chat?"

Jay 2K Winger
11-08-2011, 01:50 PM
Jay 2K
The body was butchered where it fell, first of all. There's no indications anything was moved around for that. No murder weapon is at the scene. Either it was taken out of the house, or the killer brought his own along. However, he does spot something under the corner of a nearby couch - a cross pendant that looks to be made of solid iron. It looks very old, possibly an antique, but the chain has been snapped. And it's been splashed with blood - likely it was on the body and either thrown or kicked that direction.

Apparently the police overlooked it.

Calverton

Joey fought dry heaves as his eyes picked out the blood everywhere. No, he told himself. No, don't lose it. You can handle this. Wouldn't do to throw up or pass out in front of the Suits. Focus.

He frowned a bit, even as he turned a bit green from all the blood. "No sign of the murder weapon. If this victim was stabbed first like the others, there's no sign of what the unsub used..." He stepped carefully through the scene, eyes scanning everywhere, looking for something-- anything-- that could provide a clue. He needed to pull in more information before he could risk getting a 'flash' and spinning out what he'd "deduced."

Then he spotted the cross. Frowning again, he moved over to it and crouched. "Did the local PD say whether they found a pendant on site?" he asked the Suits. Once he was given a response one way or another, he reached out to pick it up.

Even with the latex gloves on, the flash he got from the cross was strong.

Mytical
11-08-2011, 07:19 PM
Although Fred knew the offer they were going to make, he still was very unclear what his role would be. Time to get some answers.

"I think it is time we get down to business. I will admit that I only know a little of what is going on here, and that little was from the vision I had. Unless I am here to do things like tell you where a person is from, what they had for lunch, and such .. I'd like to know what exactly I will be doing."

Using simple visual clues he could play 'Sherlock Holmes' with people. Things like if they were married, had pets, and the like..stuff most people did not notice..he did. Somehow, he couldn't believe that they did not already have people like that.

dragon_wings
11-08-2011, 09:29 PM
Siobhan excuses herself to run to her dorm. She gathers anything with sentimental value or that might help her later on all of which fits in her backpack.

She's outta breath when she gets back from sprinting the whole way but after a moment she's able to say 'I'm ready.'

KabeRinnaul
11-09-2011, 03:27 AM
Sarlon
They drive her to an airport and board a private plane, just like the agents in Division 7 did with Fred. Except she winds up being taken to a building in Atlanta. They answer a few of her questions along the way, but eventually lead her downstairs to what seems to be a large laboratory and research area, toward what seems to be a second elevator or lift of some sort - oddly-built, and a smaller than she'd expect.

Kheldarson
"Oh good, I was starting to worry you wouldn't get back to me. But this is a rather important discussion, so I'd rather have it someplace comfortable. How about dinner on me? Or rather, on the last guy you bumped before me, since I got his wallet from you."

Jay 2K
"No... everyone must have overlooked that." She actually does seem a bit confused by this - it may be that they honestly did miss it. As to his flash... he gets a rapid sequence of events, all in momentary flashes. A woman wearing the pendant. Someone forcing his way into the home behind her. A strange, oddly-shaped, almost ritualistic knife. An inhuman attacker - his teeth are sharp and pointed like a predator, his eyes are solid black, and his ears extend out to points. The attacker recoiling from the pendant as if in pain before tearing it off of her and throwing it away. Luckily, the vision ceases before he witnesses the actual murder.

Mytical
Browning and Winchester have brought him to some sort of briefing room, and take seats across from each other, and gesture for him to sit at the end.

Winchester: "Here's the rundown - we're always on the lookout for potential new recruits. We can't spot them as easily as we can the ENs-"

Browning: "Extra-Normals."

Winchester: "I was getting to that. Anyway, we generally notice people who can see things how they really are. We watch 'em for a while, make sure the hunch is right, then approach and make them an offer - generally several at once, so we can get a little training group together. They refuse, we call it in to HQ and keep an eye on them. They accept, then, well, we bring 'em in and tell them how it is, like you're getting. Thing is, since you were already ready to go, we're a little ahead of schedule."

Browning: "But the basics of it is, monsters are real. We can see what they really are, so it's our job to keep things in line. Keep all the normal people safe and sane. FEND's been doing that in one form or another for a couple centuries."

Dragon Wings
They nod and open the door for her to sit in the back seat. Like the others, a drive, a flight, and a nondescript building. In her case, she's been brought to New York. And is being lead towards an oddly-constructed lift just like Sarah was.

Sarlon
11-09-2011, 03:31 AM
sarah keeps rather tight lipped through the journey, vehemently refusing to let anyone take her napsack, though on the plane she pulls out a well thumbed, well worn paperback book and flipping it open ignores the agents escorting her lost in the book.

when they arrive she scoffs, "ooo big fancy building..."

but the scarcasm is heavy in her voice.

Kheldarson
11-09-2011, 03:31 AM
"I didn't take anything..."

KabeRinnaul
11-09-2011, 03:48 AM
Sarlon
"Not really. We don't exactly want to stand out."

And as they board the second lift, she'll notice there are railings around the inside, and it's round rather than the usual box.

"You should probably hang on. This thing doesn't always go off quite right."

And at the point, the door shut, and one of the agents hits the "7" on the keypad. The lift shudders a moment, and the lights dim slightly. A low hissing noise follows, and soon a display lights up with "Pressure equalized. Preparing for departure. Awaiting arrival confirmation." Probably everyone's ears pop.

Probably a bad time to notice the sign taped up next to the buttons: "Anyone caught sending unprotected organic materials through the transport system will be responsible for cleaning up the mess and will have the costs of any fire damage deducted from their pay. - Director Echo"

Kheldarson
"Sure you did. I saw you. And I took it from you. So I have it. And none of the pictures in here look anything like you, so there's that. And you got my note, so that too."

Kheldarson
11-09-2011, 03:52 AM
"Um...where was it you wanted to meet?"

KabeRinnaul
11-09-2011, 03:54 AM
Kheldarson
"That Italian place on the corner near where you usually work."

Kheldarson
11-09-2011, 03:59 AM
"They um...they won't let me in. At all."

KabeRinnaul
11-09-2011, 04:28 AM
Kheldarson
"Let me worry about that. I know the owner."

Mytical
11-09-2011, 04:55 AM
"Well, you already know I am in. Something to note, however, is that I am best as an investigator. I .. notice things people don't..and sometimes things that take others microscopes to even see. My visions can also put me out of commission, so not exactly smart to put me in a shootout or combat situation. If you need somebody to look something over and tell you things you don't know .. I am your man. When do we start?"

Kheldarson
11-09-2011, 05:41 AM
"Okay...so I guess I'll meet you there."

So she attempts to clean up as best she can on short notice, which is why she ends up standing in front of a fancy restaurant in jeans and a t-shirt, trying to ignore the doorman.

Sarlon
11-09-2011, 10:47 AM
sarah raisies an eyebrow at the warning then hearing what sounds like the elevator blowing up she graps onto the railing as directed.

Jay 2K Winger
11-09-2011, 02:17 PM
Jay 2K
"No... everyone must have overlooked that." She actually does seem a bit confused by this - it may be that they honestly did miss it. As to his flash... he gets a rapid sequence of events, all in momentary flashes. A woman wearing the pendant. Someone forcing his way into the home behind her. A strange, oddly-shaped, almost ritualistic knife. An inhuman attacker - his teeth are sharp and pointed like a predator, his eyes are solid black, and his ears extend out to points. The attacker recoiling from the pendant as if in pain before tearing it off of her and throwing it away. Luckily, the vision ceases before he witnesses the actual murder.

Calverton

Joey gave a sharp inhalation of air through his nose as the flashes hit him. It was a lot stronger than most of the flashes he had, though far from the worst. He blinked rapidly as the instant of "insight" passed, and he looked... alarmed.

The attacker... what was he? Sharpened teeth weren't unheard of-- one of the earliest cases he'd worked for the FBI involved a killer who had filed his teeth to points, the "Cold Mountain Cannibal," as the press had dubbed him-- but those ears, and those eyes... Even with the small amount of insight he'd gotten as to the attacker from his flash, he knew those eyes and those ears weren't the result of some kind of weird surgery.

What's more, Joey could have sworn he'd seen him before. Him, or something like him. At the time, he'd chalked it up to lack of sleep. But that wasn't strictly true, was it? He was lying to himself, trying to explain away something that was Wrong because it just wasn't normal.

Come to think of it... he'd seen that inhuman attacker-thing (or someone similar) back during the Cold Mountain Cannibal case.

He became aware that Romanza and the other Suit were watching him. Joey glanced up, and narrowed his eyes. The sensation that they, themselves, were Wrong hit him again, stronger now, as if the contact with the cross and the flash he'd received had deepened his perceptions.

"What's really going on here?" he asked, standing, holding the cross in one hand. "Nothing about this case seems right."

KabeRinnaul
11-10-2011, 03:01 AM
Mytical
"Soon as everyone else gets here."

Kheldarson
The doorman is staring daggers at her regardless. Which stops when a man approaches, at which point the doorman snaps to attention.

"Mr. Black and a guest, Michael." When the doormen gives him a questioning look, he gestures to Loren and says, "Well? Come along, Miss Carson, don't keep the man waiting."

Sarlon
There's a sudden dropping sensation, a gradual rise in temperature, and then... a sensation, which proves extremely difficult to describe, but which can be approximated as the feeling of every single atom in your body suddenly moving in opposite directions from one another (albeit briefly), including at least four directions that don't exist in the everyday human experience. But then it stops and with a polite "ding" the transport system announces their arrival at Division 7. The doors open with another faint hiss, and a hint of ozone in the air (along with maybe a dash of "electrical fire").

Jay 2K
"That depends on your perspective. It all makes sense if I confirm something you already suspect, whether you're admitting it or not. And I'll be sharing our side of this story as soon as we hear yours. And which point you have my assurance you'll be hearing everything we know about it and what's happening. But first, your thoughts thus far?"

Kheldarson
11-10-2011, 03:09 AM
"Um...coming." She slips in right after Mr. Black, feeling very self-conscious. A coin starts appearing and disappearing between her hands as she walks through the restaurant to their seats.

dragon_wings
11-10-2011, 03:27 AM
Siobhan peers at the lift suspiciously.
'This is safe right?' she asks but steps in none the less.

Jay 2K Winger
11-10-2011, 03:56 AM
Calverton

Joey regarded Romanza and the other Suit suspiciously. He fingered the cross a bit more, then spoke carefully and deliberately, marshaling his words and insights.

"Much about this case is reminiscent of the Cold Mountain Cannibal," he said at last. "But you know this. I worked that case, and I even noticed my reservations about the suspect that was convicted of those murders." He nodded, as if confirming something to himself. "And that's why you asked me to look at the file for these murders. Because there's a connection between the two."

He glanced at the murder site, blanched for a moment, but recovered. "I think this unsub is someone else, though. A copycat, most likely. There are differences between the Cold Mountain murders and these. The Cold Mountain Cannibal didn't stab anyone with a knife like these." Absolutely true, the Cold Mountain killer had used an ax, which was kept out of the press. "This was a blitz attack," he nodded to the door. "B&E, smashed open, and he moved fast. The victim didn't have a chance to defend herself."

He held up the cross. "The unsub tore this off of the victim and threw it aside. Now, that could have been just to get it out of the way for the rest of the assault, or it could have been for personal reasons. The unsub might have a thing against Christianity or its imagery, but I can't determine that from the evidence here."

He took a deep breath, thought a moment, then added, "But apart from the bite marks, there's no sign of any animal. No claw marks, even the most well-trained animal is going to claw at the meat while they're biting in."

He turned back to the Suits. "Now. You tell me what you think is going on here."

Sarlon
11-10-2011, 10:11 AM
sarah raises an eyebrow trying not to look impressed but gestures them out and follows closely.

KabeRinnaul
11-11-2011, 06:08 AM
Kheldarson
They're lead to an apparently private table off towards a corner of the restaurant. "So, how long have you been seeing things as they really are?"

Dragon Wings
Savant hits the button for "7" as they board the lift. The door shuts and the overall sequence is similar to the other one.

The woman answers her question as the system starts up. "Almost perfectly safe since the initial trials, so long as you make sure you keep everything inside the carrier and maintain a constant mass for the duration. Which is another reason for the carrier."

Jay 2K
"More similarities than you may realize. We're aware of a race of near-human entities which subsist on human flesh - two, technically, but one is practically defined by it. The other is far less likely. The Cold Mountain case and this stand out primarily due to the frequency of attacks and difficulty of tracing them. Our information indicates you have some kind of visions - and I'm certain you've been taking care to censor your reports to hide that. As to the religious significance of your find, this class of EN is not known to react negatively to religious imagery. What do you suppose the pendant is composed of?"

Sarlon
"And welcome to FEND Division 7. How was your first time moving at right angles to reality?"

They've departed into a hallway remarkably similar to the one they'd just left behind. She can look back to see some sort of mechanism pulling the lift they'd been in backward from it's position in the tube and moving a new one into place, seemingly with some sort of weights arranged inside.

Sarlon
11-11-2011, 06:10 AM
"interesting...so now what?"

her eyes are darting about the area, carefully taking things in even with a quick glance.

Jay 2K Winger
11-11-2011, 10:12 PM
Calverton

Joey stared in shock at the Suits as Romanza rattled off the case as they knew it. He was about to demand how they could withhold such information from the public-- then almost immediately realized the wisdom of it. There was a different wrinkle, though. But that could wait until he could digest everything that was just said.

Particularly the part where they said they knew about his "insights." His jaw clenched a bit. "I'd really like to know how you got your facts," he says. "But I suspect you two have something similar. Maybe not the same... insights that I get, but you see things as they are."

He sighed. "It's true, I get these... well, I call them insights, but it's more that I see things that happened. The actual events. And yes, I have to censor what I reveal. Giving up everything would make for... complications. Both personal," in the 'experiments' sense, "and professional and legal. After all, there would be no guarantee that the information I get from my visions could be admissible in court. No way to corroborate it if there's no evidence to support it." He eyed them again. "Somehow I get the feeling you understand that."

He lifted the cross and looked it over again. "As for this pendant, I'm not sure. It's not steel. Iron, maybe." He paused, recalling their talk of another race. "Another race, you said. Possibly the origins of the stories and legends about the fae and elves? Iron was said to be their weakness."

Kheldarson
11-12-2011, 04:45 AM
She shrugs. "Dunno. Guess that depends on what you mean by that."

KabeRinnaul
11-12-2011, 06:29 AM
Sarlon
They're walking through a research area towards what seem to be offices.

"Now we take you to a sort of orientation meeting. Things will really get going once a few others arrive.

Jay 2K
"There is some intelligence on you, Mr. Monfries. Not as much as you may suspect, but there were notes on what seemed to be occasional blackouts and surprisingly revealing insights. Both are common signs of a Perceptive with some sort of viewing ability. And you're actually right on the money with the iron. The ENs we associate with the 'fey' are nearly impervious to most weaponry - only a particular form of iron isotope inflicts lasting injury to them, and mere contact with it causes severe welts and burns on their skin. This is the origin of the association of iron and fey. This particular variety is known as a Hobgoblin, and it's done far better than the usual case in covering it's tracks."

Kheldarson
"Notice anything unusual about your mark earlier today?"

Kheldarson
11-12-2011, 06:40 AM
"He had really sharp teeth."

Jay 2K Winger
11-12-2011, 07:47 AM
Calverton

Joey grimaced at the mention of blackouts. It was true, when he got his stronger flashes of insight, it could look like he was blacking out. But, he had to argue, spinning, like he always did. "I don't really like the sight of blood, and sometimes I feel faint about it. As for the insights, I'm a profiler. I'm supposed to be good at picking up on things. And I am. I wouldn't have been selected for the BAU if I weren't."

He knew they wouldn't buy it. He could tell just like he could tell they were... Wrong. Perceptives, they called themselves? Maybe that's how he could spot it about them.

As for the rest, he wanted to disbelieve. It felt Wrong like everything else. But at the same time, it... was correct. This was true, even if the rational part of his mind rejected it. But we left rationality behind when we left the office, Joey thought to himself.

"I don't know about Hobgoblins," he said, "but the iron thing would explain why it threw it aside so violently." He gave them another look. "You knew this was something of yours." He said it because he knew the weird cases like this were their bailiwick, and outside the scope of what he did for the FBI. "You knew it was one of these Hobgoblins. So why bring me in at all?"

Chanlin
11-12-2011, 05:28 PM
*ca-chink* The sharp metallic snap echoed so loudly around the dark alley that James Doyle had to glance around a hope no one heard. For a brief moment he stared at the broken pick in the lock. Suddenly a wave of dread washed over him. "Shit, I knew that sweet deal on the new TV was too good to be true."

Without even bothering to try and retrieve the pick he started a swift walk-run out of the alley. The whole while he chanted in his head please wait till I get home....please wait till I get home.... His pleading went unanswered though. As he reached the mouth of the alley he turned the corner and fell to the ground as he met what felt like a really fleshy brick wall. The force of the unexpected impact knocked him to the ground. The telltale sound of breaking glass made him cringe for the second time that night. Moments later he felt a cold wetness begin to suffuse his socks, jeans and hands.

"Sonofa..." he whispered under his breath. He looked up with a glare... "Hey ya bloody heifer why don' ya look where ya be goin'." His glare wilted though as he met the gaze of the worst possible person he could have said that to. An angry black woman....

"Aw hell no..." Started the tirade. Before she could begin laying into him he got up and started to run the other way. He only made it thirty feet before he slammed into another wall of the fleshy variety. The shouts of the woman he had run into before were barely registering as he stared up at his new obstacle. This one was sporting a nice black suit, crisp clean white shirt and a black tie. He was also wearing a very flashy looking pair of shades and he had a similarly dressed friend just a few paces behind him.

"James Doyle..." He knew the man was looking at him even though he couldn't see his eyes. "...come with us."

(OOC: Plan for the shades to be special somehow so they let them get around Doyle's not my problem field. I figure they deal with this sort of thing on a daily basis so they must have something. Anyhoo.... TAG: to the gm's/st's)

dragon_wings
11-12-2011, 07:53 PM
When the lift stops Siobhan is a bit queasy but she takes a moment too look around.
'Please tell me that that gets easier. Or better yet that I'd never have to ride it again.' she says with a grimace.

Sarlon
11-13-2011, 12:05 AM
Sarah can't help but stare wide eyed at the tech and research department, but stops her self short of drooling.

At the office she has her indifferent mannerism back on her face, heryoung face hard and impassive.

KabeRinnaul
11-14-2011, 04:57 AM
Kheldarson
"And what else?"

Jay 2K
"As I said, this particular example was doing an usually good job of covering his tracks. He's also deviating somewhat from what we normally see - generally, hobgoblins prefer children as their victims. But beyond that, I wanted to see how you would perform. Our primary reason for contacting you wasn't this case, it was recruitment. In short, we're offering you a job with us."

Chanlin
One of the two goes to calm down the woman James had upset, and get her away from the scene. The other leads him towards a waiting car. Any idea that these two were normal law enforcement, or that they might fall victim to his ability to slip away, was dispelled when the one leading him away politely but forcefully suggested he not try anything the second James started to step away.

Dragon Wings
The woman sighs. "A bit easier. I'm still not fond of it, myself. Primarily because I remember the earliest trials, and the difficulty they had with equalizing mass."

Sarlon
As they turn a corner into the office area, she sees a flash of light and feels rush of warm air smelling of ozone as another pod arrives and two agents step out, leading another young woman between them. But the two she's with are hurrying her on ahead, and lead her towards an office where two agents are chatting with a man who seems to be another new arrival, like her.

Kheldarson
11-14-2011, 05:05 AM
She shrugs. "Don't remember. I don't try to pay too much attention to them." She scoots in closer to the wall as another waiter goes by, glaring at her. Course, the fact that this guy seems to have pointed ears doesn't help either.

Dreamstalker
11-14-2011, 12:57 PM
Terry had just finished another test unit of the improved (if a microscopically smaller likelihood of collateral damage could be considered 'improved') particle throwers from the Boston Ghostbusters group when a knock came on the workshop door. Nah, it can't be Mike, he knows these won't be ready to go for another week.
"Hang on a sec!" She threw the parts into locked cabinets, cleaned up her tools and unlocked the door to see two official-looking men standing on the path.

"Oh hell. Were the neighbors [a half-mile away] complaining about the noise?" There was a reason she lived in the middle of nowhere.
One of them flashed a badge. "We're not the police, miss. But we would like to talk with you..."

Jay 2K Winger
11-14-2011, 02:06 PM
Calverton, MD (or possibly VA)

Joey regarded the Suits as Romanza stated all this. "Recruitment? A job?" he echoed. He raised his FBI credentials. "I have a job," he pointed out.

Yeah, a voice in his head commented. And you have to tread lightly and censor what insights you get, and sometimes you can't reveal it all and so the bad guy gets away or the wrong guy gets fingered.

Joey frowned as his thoughts argued with themselves. To give himself some time to work through that conundrum, he said, "Do these 'hobgoblins' tend to use ritualistic implements? I ask because in one of my... insights, the hobgoblin in question was using a ritualistic knife." He raised an eyebrow at the Suits. "Maybe that explains the deviation from their preferred choice of targets."

KabeRinnaul
11-14-2011, 03:14 PM
Kheldarson
"Because they look different?" He gestures to the waiter. "Don't worry, I see that one too."

Dreamstalker
"Would you mind if we came inside?"

He doesn't say it, but it's implied in his tone that refusing would not be a good idea.

Jay 2K
"A job where you have to watch what you say and can't use the full extent of your ability." She pauses. "But as to the other question, yes, some do. Which means there must be some other reason for the victim choices. The hobgoblin is finding something it wants in them."

Jay 2K Winger
11-14-2011, 04:57 PM
Calverton

Joey glared at Romanza as she pointed out the obvious, as if she could read his thoughts. And there's a trick, he noted to himself. Who's to say she can't? He eyed her warily. Are you reading my thoughts?

"Eyebrows will be raised and questions will be asked if one of the BAU's best profilers up and walks away from his job," he pointed out. "And if I were to leave, I just know that Lindy will have someone keeping tabs on me, to see what I'm up to. And if it's not Lindy, it'll be Coates."

Fred Coates, one of the other members of his unit, found Joey somewhat creepy, flat-out stating to Joey-- not in public, and not officially-- that he thought he was hiding something, comparing him to Dexter. Never mind that Joey tended to get faint around the sight of blood.

Chanlin
11-14-2011, 05:20 PM
The woman realizing the men in suits may or may not be cops wisely decides to leave well enough alone but not before shouting "That's right... serves ya right ya..."

Whatever colorful insult she may have been ready to use was drowned out as the car door closed after James. Fidgeting a little he looked around the car and then tried to not look nervous, "So lads, I don' suppose I could be convincin ya to come get me in a day or two? Dis rally ain' da bes' day to be gettin me. It's one o' me off days..." He makes no effort to explain hoping that whoever these men are, that's enough to convince them that his being in a car is an exceedingly bad idea at the moment.

Dreamstalker
11-15-2011, 01:22 PM
She still had parts scattered everywhere, but she guessed that the her natural instinct to clean up first might look suspicious (exactly how, she had no idea, but better not to push it). Nothing looked particularly dangerous, unless of course you already knew what it was.

"Come on in; this is actually my workshop. The house is a bit more comfortable for talking. Right through this door." The actual house is a bit small, but a good deal cleaner; a few prototypes are under sheets on tables. A dog wagged her tail happily as the three entered the living room. "Maya, sit. Not on the couch, please." Terry indicated a sofa and some chairs. "Just sit wherever you'd like. Can I get you guys some coffee or something? You came quite a ways out here."

Kheldarson
11-15-2011, 03:48 PM
"Oh." Slight surprise at him seeing what she saw, but she tries to hide it. Frankly, all of this was starting to weird Loren out. And while getting dinner out of this was nice, this wasn't a healthy conversation in her opinion. "So...what's this all about?"

dragon_wings
11-16-2011, 02:03 AM
'Equalizing the mass? You know what? I don't wanna know.'

KabeRinnaul
11-16-2011, 02:10 AM
Jay 2K
"We can provide a cover story if you want. If only that another agency offered you a much better deal. And you don't necessarily have to begin immediately, nor work with us constantly. For the time being, you could simply be on-call, in a sense."

Chanlin
"So it would seem. But I don't think you realize just what's happening here."

Dreamstalker
"No thank you. And while that may be the case, we feel it was warranted. I don't suppose you know who we are?"

Kheldarson
"The fact that you see what other people don't, can do things other people can't, and I'm part of an organization that could use someone like you."

Dragon Wings
She's being told anyway.

"Oh, it's nothing too complex. Just that apparently physics gets very upset with you when you try to displace matter this way. So whenever one object is sent, another of identical mass must be received. If not... well, things can get a bit risky."

Kheldarson
11-16-2011, 02:11 AM
"Hm...that's nice, but I've got a job already." And wondering how quick she could slip out of here.

Chanlin
11-16-2011, 07:52 AM
James looks at the man in black's eyes in the rear-view mirror. "Maybe not exactly, but I'm with a man in a suit in an unmarked car. That's never a good thing in my line o' work. Whatever, jus' don't go blamin' me if'n we don't get to where we're supposed ta be goin'"

Dreamstalker
11-16-2011, 12:19 PM
Terry got a nagging feeling at the back of her mind that she should know who the men were, but couldn't put her finger on why she should know. So she opted for the less complicated answer. "I don't think I do."

Jay 2K Winger
11-16-2011, 02:13 PM
[u]Location: Calverton[/b]

Joey considered the Suits' words. Despite his reservations about this nebulous organization, the prospect of being able to use his talents without worrying about censoring his reports appealed. And he didn't doubt that their organization could provide him with a suitable cover story.

"On-call to start would be a wise move," he said. "As I said, there are people who would ask probing questions if I were to up and leave. Building a cover story over some time before leaving for a 'private sector' job is the best option."

KabeRinnaul
11-17-2011, 02:53 AM
Kheldarson
"Most of which isn't actually legal, but hey, who am I to make a judgment there? I'm just trying to give you an opportunity to do things the easy way."

Chanlin
"We've been watching you long enough to have some idea of what you can do, Mr. Doyle. That's part of why I'm wearing these ridiculously cliche sunglasses."

Dreamstalker
"Well, rather than just jumping into an explanation, I have a question for you. Do you ever see things that other people don't? Or see some people differently?"

Jay 2K
"Strictly speaking, it's not private sector. Think of it as more of an international agency. But, since we have your interest, I'd like you to accompany us to a meeting at one of our more central locations, so you have a better idea of exactly what you're getting into."

Kheldarson
11-17-2011, 03:26 AM
"The easy way?" Loren glances towards the front door again. Maybe now would be a good time to leave. Despite not having food yet.

Dreamstalker
11-17-2011, 03:39 AM
Terry thought for a second. Outside of the regional Ghostbusters branches that she did some equipment/analysis work for and a few local investigator groups, she'd never told anyone about her abilities after someone tried to have her medicated. That was interesting to try and sweep under the rug. I think I explained that away with 'bad pot'. Weird how that was accepted without any further question...then again, I think the person who was trying to have me put away was on some even weirder shit and didn't want to get caught.

"...Yes. A few times I've been able to see ghosts and things that could only be caught with infrared or ultraviolet film. I can touch some things and get a sense of who owned them. I also seem to able to communicate with animals, dogs mainly. I'm not exactly sure what to make of that though."

Chanlin
11-17-2011, 06:57 AM
"Wait... watchin' ya say?" James sounds genuinely confused. "You some sort o' government types then?"

KabeRinnaul
11-17-2011, 08:31 AM
Kheldarson
"Yes. The easy way is my way, where I buy you lunch or dinner, explain that you're not the only one with unusual abilities and you're not seeing things because you're crazy, and then offer you a really nice and surprisingly flexible job doing neat things. The other way tends to involve tranquilizer guns, being labeled a rogue element, hunting people down, and getting disappeared. I really don't like that second way, so I hope you go with my version so I don't have to hand your file off to someone else who might be less friendly about all this."

Dreamstalker
"Roughly one in a million people are what we call 'Perceptives' and can see what is really there. A number of these Perceptives have additional supernatural abilities, though there's no telling what will show up or where. We're from an organization made up of Perceptives, who use our abilities to protect people from supernatural - or to use the term we prefer, Extra-Normal, threats."

Chanlin
"Something along those lines. We're part of an international organization called FEND. And one of our tasks is to find people like you, Mr. Doyle, who can see the unseen and do things most people can't."

Sarlon
11-17-2011, 10:28 AM
Sarah glances at the woman who arrived, barely blinking an eye, and continues following the men. her eyes dart about without being to obvious, taking in as much information as possible, and noting any doors, stairs, signs, etc.

"so how many more freaks you got working here?"

Dreamstalker
11-17-2011, 01:23 PM
Terry mulls this over for a few seconds. "I was...well, am, but not so much in a direct capacity anymore..working with a few teams that did something similar but with conventional weapons and more in a reactive sense, which didn't always work and in a few cases made the problem worse."

"To be honest, I'd always been curious about other ways to get rid of the threats that don't involve extensive property damage; if you want to see the equipment in question there's some in my workshop. I'd love a chance to do something with these powers other than just analysis and randomly scaring people."

Jay 2K Winger
11-17-2011, 02:42 PM

Joey shrugged. "Whatever it is, I get the feeling your ... organization can provide the cover story for my transfer." He nodded. "Let's go, then."

Beat. He held up the iron cross pendant. "What should we do with this?"

Kheldarson
11-17-2011, 05:20 PM
"What? Mister, I don't do anything. I just put on a little show and leave people alone. Mostly. Why the hell would any of that other shit happen?" Panicked look now.

KabeRinnaul
11-17-2011, 05:51 PM
Sarlon
"FEND has about five to six thousand agent and researchers worldwide, and given that we have 14 divisions, there are under five hundred working at each. I don't think I'd refer to any of us as 'freaks', though, considering every one of us can see the unseen, and further abilities such as yours don't always show up."

At this point she's lead into the room where the civilian and two other agents are waiting. "Browning, Winchester, you get to keep an eye on this one, too, until one of the seniors shows up. And I think I heard the transport going off again behind us, so there may be another new arrival soon, too."

One of the two nods and gestures for her to take a seat nearby.

Dreamstalker
"It sounds like you're describing incorporeal ENs. That's an area we actually have some trouble with. If you have something that can make it easier on us, I'd gladly take a look at it."

The other agent gives a polite cough. "We should get back sooner rather than later, though."

Jay 2K
"We bag it and make sure it gets to a lab for fingerprinting and other tests. This EN is covering his tracks well enough that we're probably going to have to rely on more traditional methods of tracking him down."

Kheldarson
"Of course you do things. I've seen you do things. And besides, my trick is being able to do whatever the people near me can." As he talks, he slides a salt shaker over, cups one hand over it and his other over an empty spot across the table, and then lifts both to reveal the shaker switched hands. "And I always know who I'm getting it from. As for the rest... well, you do use your abilities for criminal acts, which needs to be responded to. But we have such a wonderful rapport going on that I'd hate to ruin it with any of that. But other agents may not be so nice about it."

He pauses. "But like I said. I certainly don't want any of that to happen to you, and we can definitely be flexible in how you work with us, so maybe we can work something out."

dragon_wings
11-17-2011, 06:04 PM
Siobhan takes in her surrounds as she's lead to a room.
Once in the room she takes a seat and shoots a weary glance at the others in the room.

Kheldarson
11-17-2011, 06:04 PM
Loren's completely freaked out by now. "Work something out how?"

Jay 2K Winger
11-17-2011, 06:20 PM

Joey raised an eyebrow at that. "Just a moment." He looked around, mentally sifting through what he'd gleaned from his insights so far, and then looked at the blood. He looked a little green at whatever he was contemplating, but he nodded grimly, removing one of his latex gloves.

"I usually avoid doing this," he remarked as he did so. "Because A, it's blood. And B, it tends to be strong enough to damn near knock me out. But sometimes it helps get some more insight..."

He knelt and touched the bloodstains, hoping that his talent would give him a stronger flash, and perhaps see the victim's last minutes, to see if there were any more clues he could get from the unsub.

Mytical
11-17-2011, 08:21 PM
As Siobhan was led into the room, Fred was amusing the agents with his gift. Using visual clues like pet dander or other normally missed things he is telling them where they are from, if they are married or not, sometimes even what they had for breakfast. It was a simple thing to him, and he often wondered why others missed these details. The agents were half impressed, and half nervous about exactly how detailed Fred could be.

He looked over at Siobhan (who's name he doesn't know..he isn't THAT good), and instinctively notices the small visual clues..but does not comment on them. "Looks like the party is looking up. The more the merrier I always say."

Chanlin
11-17-2011, 11:10 PM
James quirks an eyebrow, "I suppose that stands fer somthin'? And what's dis about seein' da unseen? I don't tink O'ive ever done that."

Sarlon
11-17-2011, 11:31 PM
sarah raises an eyebrow at the adults in the room as she is lead in bristling slightly.

"like i need a babysitter..."

she slouches into a chair facing the door and keeping some distance from the others.

((better description now that players can see her))

young woman...looks 16 maybe 17 (is actually younger), long black hair, sky blue eyes, currently wearing worn out semi dirty clothes (give her a break they literally took her off the street), worn out tennis shoes/sneakers, and a old worn backpack that is worn across the chest.

she tends not to sit still for to long and will tend to pace if left to her own devices, or pick up something of interest (ie anything not nailed down) and try and figure out that makes it tick, even so far as taking it apart if not stopped.

Dreamstalker
11-18-2011, 12:14 PM
"I think I have some stuff that could help; we did record everything and I have some other data." Terry glanced at a clock. "Right. Sorry. Let me just get my laptop." She went into a cabinet and pulled out a laptop bag with a handful of flash drives tied to it. "One of these is what you want; I'm not going to waste time here plugging all of them in. I really should label everything one of these days."

The vaguely wolflike dog whined and pawed at Terry's face. "I don't mean to impose, but would you guys be okay with dogs? I do know someone that can take her, but she's also helped on a few of the cases I've done so that might help. If that would be too complicated that's OK though."

Mytical
11-19-2011, 10:39 AM
At first Fred was surprised he had not noticed the other person entering the room, as very little slipped past him, but it had happened before. Sometimes when he focuses on something, the rest of the world just seemed to fade away.

When he finally became aware there was another person, he started to get worried. None of this was in his vision, and his visions were never wrong. Even times when he had tried to stop them, they always come out exactly as he saw them. He couldn't help but feel that something was wrong.

KabeRinnaul
11-20-2011, 04:58 AM
Division 7 (Mytical, Dragon Wings, & Sarlon so far)
Browning nods to the Agents who had brought the other two in as the Agents left. "Don't worry, we're not here to babysit. People who need that sort of hand-holding generally aren't of much use. If they thought you needed it, they wouldn't have bothered bringing you in."

Kheldarson
"Oh, settle down. I'm not going to do anything to you, and I'm not expecting you to agree to anything right now. I'm just letting you know what's in your best interests. Like how we'd be willing to forgive all your past indiscretions if you decided to join us. That plus a nice paycheck, great benefits, getting what you want out of people, and having a look behind the scenes of the world. What's not to like?"

Jay 2K
He actually does get a good look at the victim's last moments. That includes a clear image of the hobgoblin's true form - but a less distinct view of it's human self - and the knife it used. It's a strange, misshapen knife that almost looks like it's composed of some sort of blackened glass, with odd hooks and curves along it's length. Unfortunately, he also gets a very good look at what that knife does to it's victims, and it seems viciously sharp despite it's strange appearance. Adding to his misfortune, he also learns that the victim wasn't quite dead when the hobgoblin started feeding.

Chanlin
"The Foundation for Extra-Normal Defense. As to your other question, you ever noticed someone in a crowd and realized they didn't look right? Like they weren't human? Or seen other things you can't explain, or that other people seem to miss?"

Dreamstalker
"No, that would be quite all right. We actual deal with unusual animals on something of a regular basis. You'll probably even get to meet a few. And take your time if you need to get things together. We're a bit pressed for time, but not so much that you need to drop everything for us."

Kheldarson
11-20-2011, 05:57 AM
Loren says bluntly, "The control factor. And the fact you're not quite threatening me."

Chanlin
11-20-2011, 06:49 PM
The wheel's in Doyle's head turn for a few moments. The agents can visibly see that he is processing what they told him and he is realizing that they are right. "Oi suppose I seen lotsa strange folk now and then. I jus' figured dey was sick or somewhat. Oi always did what any smart bloke would do and stayed da hell away." He nods matter-of-factly at that final statement. "Not dat I'm supposin' I have a choice, but drive on den fellas."

Jay 2K Winger
11-20-2011, 06:53 PM

While Joey got his flashes from the blood, Romanza and the other Suit would see him visibly pale and go green. He shivered as he processed the imagery, and when it passed, he hurriedly rushed outside, where he was sick in the bushes.

Once he was done, he coughed and spat out bile, then looked up. "She was still alive," he rasped. He closed his eyes and shuddered. "I'm going to be having nightmares about that."

He stood up and went back inside. There was a pad of paper and a pencil in there, by the phone, and he needed to jot down what the knife looked like. Joey Monfries is not a great artist, but he is able to get the basic shape of the knife-- with his hooks and curves-- down, and then scribbles next to it: "blackened glass?"

He tore this off and held it out to Romanza. "Don't know, but maybe this will come in handy." He took a deep breath to steady his stomach. "Shall we go?"

KabeRinnaul
11-23-2011, 06:45 AM
Kheldarson
"Control factor? And of course I'm not threatening you. I'm just helping you make an informed decision."

Chanlin
"Of course you have choices. We just think your particular traits might endager you or those around you. And would best be kept in a more controlled environment.

Jay 2K
She looks it over. "Blackened glass? Obsidian, maybe. It supposedly makes an excellent cutting edge. But yes, we should be going."

Jay 2K Winger
11-23-2011, 11:04 PM
Jay 2K
She looks it over. "Blackened glass? Obsidian, maybe. It supposedly makes an excellent cutting edge. But yes, we should be going."

Joey nodded. "Obsidian? Probably was. And it does have an excellent cutting edge. The Aztecs used obsidian for some of their ritual knives." He rubbed the back of his head. "Just... don't ask me how I know that."

He shrugged. "All right. Lay on, Miss Laska."

That he used her real name was a deliberate act on his part. He'd picked it up from the file she'd handed him back at the Bureau. These people have so many secrets, and he wanted to show them that he knew more than he let on. Though he suspected she knew that.

Dreamstalker
11-24-2011, 12:26 AM
"I just need to grab a few more things and secure the stuff in the workshop." Terry disappeared into the shop where she dismantled and locked up the thrower she had been working on. She decided to grab a few of the plans she had just in case anything could be used.

She picked up the copy of Magicians, Martyrs, and Madmen on the desk and examined it for a few seconds. This thing's okay here. It's not like there's any energy sources here it could draw on...I think. Eh, if anything does happen, Eric said he'd be monitoring it. Satisfied that the workshop was secure, she went into her bedroom and tossed some stuff into a backpack.

One of the agents was scratching Maya's head and the dog seemed quite happy with the arrangement.

"OK, I think I've got everything. At some point I'd need to tell the team what I'm doing, but I'm not sure how specific I can be. That doesn't have to be right away though."

"So how did you guys get here; fly in from Santa Fe or what?"

KabeRinnaul
11-24-2011, 05:37 AM
Jay 2K
She pauses momentarily at the use of her name while getting in the car. "Please just refer to me as Romanza in the field. It's not exactly classified information, but there are reasons to be careful about our real names."

But they start back towards the Arlington/DC area.

"We'll go through Division 1 in DC. From there, we can get out to Division 7, which is where they've decided to do a sort of orientation session."

Dreamstalker
"Colorado, actually. We'll be taking a private flight back up to Division 2 in Colorado Springs, then go out to Division 7 from there. As for your team, we can look at what they've been doing and maybe come to a mutually beneficial arrangement."

Division 7 (Mytical, Dragon Wings, Sarlon)
Winchester turns to Sarah and Siobhan. "So Fred here gets glimpses of the future, and Browning and me don't really do anything special, but what about you two?"

dragon_wings
11-24-2011, 06:23 AM
'I am an empath. While most people can sense strong emotions I sense them all. It can be quite draining actually.' says Siobhan while wincing at the elevated emotions of those around her.
'I also have a knowledge and passion for languages. But that's come with years of studying.'

Sarlon
11-24-2011, 11:48 AM
"I never forget anything I've seen, read, learned, or done. I could tell you what I did at 3:46pm April 3, 1985...which I was having a snack with my foster mother and coloring while the news was playing a story about a railroad accident in pittsburg....I was 3."

Sarah goes quiet after that again, not quite brooding but her eyes are constant flicking about the room watching the people, anyone she can glimpse outside, and anything of interest in the room.

Jay 2K Winger
11-24-2011, 06:29 PM

Joey let the comment on her name pass. As a federal employee (until his "transfer" could be completed), he understood about truename vs pseudo. There was more than one agent in the Bureau who operated under a pseudo. Though he also understood-- without knowing specifics-- that the Suits had other reasons for keeping their names secret.

When he was in the car, and she mentioned Division 1 and Division 7, he mentally filed this away. He had no way of knowing where Div. 7 was in relation to the others, but he would soon find out.

Mytical
11-24-2011, 07:11 PM
Fred perks up as Sarah talks about her photographic memory. He knew what that was like, he too had a perfect memory. "Its a pain alright." he sighs. "At least on the brightside, never have to worry about forgetting peoples names."

Kheldarson
11-24-2011, 11:46 PM
"I don't want to answer to people. And sure you're not threatening me." She's trying to gauge just how much a threat the situation is at this point.

Chanlin
11-25-2011, 12:24 AM
Doyle quirks an eyebrow, "Oi have a choice? Din't seem dat way what wid all dis cloak an' dagger stuff. Oi suppose hearin' da sales pitch won't hurt me at least."

Sarlon
11-25-2011, 01:47 AM
Sarah looks at both of the agents.

"is there anything to eat in this place? forgive me but its been a few...er...days since I last had a decent meal."

Sarah actually looks sheepish at this omission, and ducks her head.

dragon_wings
11-25-2011, 03:21 AM
'You know, I won't mind a bite to eat myself.' says Siobhan.
'Though I could use a drink after the ride on that lift.'

Dreamstalker
11-28-2011, 02:04 PM
"That sounds good. I have some of our files and equipment diagrams on my laptop so you're welcome to look at them; nothing's really classified." She glanced at her car. "Should I take my car or ride with you? I'm guessing the latter."

KabeRinnaul
11-29-2011, 07:17 AM
Division 7 (Mytical, Dragon Wings, Sarlon)
Browning nods at her question. "Yeah, there's a cafeteria up on the ground floor. I'll go up and have them put something together for everyone down here. Any preferences? Though alcohol isn't technically allowed..."

Winchester picks up. "Not that it stops anyone. Besides, I heard Black is running this little meeting. He'd encourage it."

Jay 2K
After stopping by his office to get anything he may want to bring along, they cross over to DC as she drives them to a smallish, nondescript government office building. She parks the car in a small basement garage and leads him down a hall into what seems to be more of a research and library area, though still the basement. And coming up to what looks like a smallish elevator.

"You're not prone to vertigo, are you?"

Kheldarson
"They may be rather less... accountability than you seem to be afraid of. In fact, the Foundation as a whole tends to encourage a bit of independence and self-direction. Keeps morale up, among other things. Besides, what harm could there be in just hearing me out?"

And even with her experiences, it's hard to tell if he's legitimately unconcerned, playing some sort of game with her, or suspiciously comfortable with a con. Though perhaps the feeling leans towards a blend of the first two - he's an arrogant jerk and riling her up a bit for fun.

Chanlin
"Of course it won't. But in the briefest of words, there are things in the world which aren't human - or possibly mortal. Some of these beings can present a major threat to the average person, so someone has to keep things in check. That's where we come in. We're the ones who protect the average person from things he'll never even know about." He pauses. "My superiors really hate me using this example, but it's like that Will Smith 'Men in Black' movie. Except with vampires and goblins instead of aliens."

However, at this point, the car comes to a stop. This seems to confuse the agent, and it appears as though this is an unscheduled stop. The one driving leans back.

"Sorry Eli, we're hitting some fog and I've got a funny feeling about it. I'm going to wait and see if it clears, in case we've hit a Path."

The agent who's been speaking to you nods. "Right, no need to risk a crossing encounter. Keep an eye out for civilians, too. We'll wait 15 and move on if there's nothing."

Dreamstalker
"That would be preferable, since it will likely be faster, and easier to get access to our building with one less security check."

They help her carry anything she needs them to.

Jay 2K Winger
11-29-2011, 01:57 PM
Location: Traveling; Calverton to the Bureau to FEND transit station

Joey didn't need to grab much from his desk at the Bureau. He simply grabbed his go-bag and left a message for SSA Lindy that he had some "personal business" that had come up and he would be back in a couple of days. If things got more complicated after that, he'd trust the Suits to come up with a cover story that would fit.

The nondescript building made him raise an eyebrow. The understated-ness of the building somehow fit with what few flashes he could get about the Suits' organization from his talent, but somehow he was expecting... more.

"Vertigo?" he echoed. "No. Usually only when it comes to big drops or heights. Love roller-coasters," he added.

Chanlin
11-29-2011, 08:02 PM
Doyle listens with a slightly bemused look. He is just about to scoff when the seemingly unscheduled stop occurs. He seems just as confused as the agent but more so out of having no idea what they are talking about. He looks between the two and figuring he can ask questions later settles on a different response, "Oi told ya it were one o' me off days. Maybe ya fellas oughta come an' get me some oder day yeah."

Kheldarson
12-01-2011, 02:16 PM
"The fact that I've got this funny feeling that if I go with you I disappear off the face of the planet either way I agree?"

Dreamstalker
12-01-2011, 03:03 PM
"Shorter checks is always a good thing. I don't think I would've been able to get through normal airport security with the stuff I have. Let me just text someone from the team and tell them to keep an eye on things." She doesn't reveal much in the text other than she'll be out of town for a while and check in later.

KabeRinnaul
12-05-2011, 03:40 AM
Jay 2K
"It's the first one I'm worried about." They get aboard the lift and she hits the button for '7'. "Go ahead and hang onto the railing."

After a brief startup, Joey gets the usual sensation of the bottom suddenly falling out of reality as he briefly moves at right angles to reality. But they arrive as safely as the system ever does, and disembark towards the Division 7 meeting room.

Chanlin
"If you get out here, you'd got good odds of running into the EN and being cut to pieces. It's for the best if you just stay put for now."

Kheldarson
"Now why would we do that to you? You'd hardly be any help to us if you disappeared off the face of the planet." He pauses. "Okay, strictly speaking, using the transport system causes you to disappear of the face of the planet, but that's only for an instant, and everyone comes back perfectly fine."

Dreamstalker
They get her things together and head out in the agent's car towards a small local airstrip, from which they get a small private plane, flown by one of the agents, and travel north, eventually landing in Colorado Springs. From they they take a sort of private subway, found behind some hidden doors in high-security areas, out to what seems to be an underground office. "This is Division 2. We'll just be waiting a moment for the transport system to balance things out for us."

Kheldarson
12-05-2011, 05:06 AM
"How about I just go ahead and say a definitive no to using that transport system then? Since I don't think I'm allowed to say no to your offer at this point anyway." Said with a sigh as she pokes at her food.

KabeRinnaul
12-05-2011, 05:19 AM
Kheldarson
"What gives you that idea?"

Chanlin
12-05-2011, 09:57 AM
Doyle looks between the two agents and out at the odd fog, "Yer da pro's ya." Wondering what exactly an EN is he stares out the window into the fog hoping whatever it is out there his luck isn't what caused it.

Jay 2K Winger
12-05-2011, 03:01 PM

Joey grabbed the railings, eyebrow raised, about to ask why--

And then things got ... interesting.

And disquieting.

And vomit-inducing.

Since Joey had already emptied his stomach back at the murder site in Calverton, he just dry-heaved, leaning over and resting his head on the railing as he sucked in air and fought to keep his stomach from turning itself in a knot.

"That," he said, "was probably worse than any of those 'drop' rides at carnivals, combined with riding a bullet train, with a nice healthy dash of feeling like someone stuck an icepick through my brain."

He coughed and stood up, swayed briefly, and steadied himself. "Can I have a glass of water, please?" he said, blinking a few times, still a little pale.

Kheldarson
12-05-2011, 04:59 PM
Kheldarson
"What gives you that idea?"

"The fact you told me I can either agree to come with you or essentially get arrested?"

KabeRinnaul
12-06-2011, 04:42 AM
Chanlin
As he watches, he begins to see faint figures passing through the mist. They almost look like people wearing long, concealing robes.

And then one pauses.

This seems to puzzle the driver. "Hey Eli, one stopped. Do they do that?"

"What? No... that's half the point, I thought. Silent Ones never stop. Start backing up, we'll just go another way."

Jay 2K
"Yeah, there's a cooler at the corner up here, if I remember. I don't come to Seven often." She leads him down the hall and it turns out she's right. There's a water cooler in a small area near some restrooms. After a cup or two, she hurries him along again, leading him on to the meeting room all the others have been brought to.

Kheldarson
"And that's a choice. See? It's right there. Agree or be arrested. Well, even that's not necessarily the case, but moving on to more important matters. How about this? I bring you on as a sort of free agent. The only thing you have to do is come with me for a sort of orientation meeting. After that, I bring you back here, and you get to do your own thing with two exceptions. One, you report back to us on the activities of any risky supernatural elements you encounter. Two, if I think your personal abilities would specifically be of significant benefit to a mission, I call you in for it. Beyond those two things, you get to keep on going as you have been."

Chanlin
12-06-2011, 05:02 AM
Doyle is completely mystified for a few moments and then snaps back to reality taking a moment to process what the agents just said. "Wait... so now da abnormal be actin' abnormal. Lemme guess, da's no a good ting...."

Jay 2K Winger
12-06-2011, 01:34 PM

Joey felt a lot better after cleansing his mouth and throat with a few mouthfuls of water, and followed Romanza to the meeting room without further incident.

Dreamstalker
12-06-2011, 02:27 PM
" 'Balance things out'? That's a strange way of putting it..."

Sarlon
12-06-2011, 10:57 PM
Sarah glances up at the new person entering the room and inwardly flinches at seeing him.

"great...." she thinks to herself "another suit....is anyone normal?"

Jay 2K Winger
12-06-2011, 11:40 PM

While Joey entered with one of the Suits, and while he did have a subtle aura of authority, he wasn't dressed like Romanza or the other Suits. His lean form meant that his own jacket and shirt hung somewhat loosely on him, and he didn't wear a tie. His hair was a tousled mess, even before he'd been sick back in Calverton.

He regarded the others in the room with a wary expression, as he drained the last of his cup of water. That finished, he crumpled it, tossed it in a handy receptacle, then nodded to the room in greeting.

Sarlon
12-06-2011, 11:42 PM
sarah inclines her head just slightly before shifting her eyes else where watching the others with the nervous energy or a cornered animal.

KabeRinnaul
12-07-2011, 06:38 AM
Chanlin
The being seems to start approaching them, at which point Eli shouts for the driver to floor it. He does, and they speed through the mists. As they pass through, dark shapes flit across the windows and a horrible screeching can be heard from all sides. Eli keeps firing a pistol seemingly at random through the windows, while trying to stay exactly in the center of the car, away from the windows and sides.

Dreamstalker
"It's a sort of teleportation device. We've worked most of the kinks out, but it seems moving at right angles to reality makes the laws of physics rather angry with you. Whenever it's used, matter has to be sent both ways at the same time - apparently something to do with conservation of energy - and in as close to identical masses as possible. If it's not, then whatever excess comes through is destroyed. So we always have to give it a bit to ensure that both transports are the same mass."

About then, a green light appears above what seems to be the entrance to a cylindrical lift, and the agent walks up and taps a button to open the doors.

Mytical
12-07-2011, 05:56 PM
Fred was getting a little confused. All these people had not been in his vision. He was definitely alone in the vision when they made the official offer. While his visions could be difficult to understand sometimes, they were never wrong. He could misunderstand them, but he wasn't sure how he could misunderstand this many people and 'alone'. Maybe they would take him aside or something, no official offer money wise had yet been given, and he had certainly been here long enough.

Chanlin
12-08-2011, 06:45 AM
Not being ready for the sudden commotion and motion of the vehicle, Doyle is pressed back against his seat for a moment. When the gunfire starts he plugs his ears and sinks down as low in the seat as he can go "Oy, is dat really helpin' any?" he shouts at Eli.

Dreamstalker
12-08-2011, 03:10 PM
"Ah. That makes sense, more or less. Any other warnings I need about this?"

KabeRinnaul
12-11-2011, 04:04 AM
Mytical (And the rest of the Division 7 meeting room)
Winchester turns to Fred. "You okay there, man? Looking a bit upset."

And about then Browning and a couple other people come back with refreshments. Including drinks that may or may not go against policy, but no one's going to go and tell anyone about that.

(And if I forgot to have Browning leave earlier, then pretend I did remember to do that.)

Chanlin
Eli ducks down to reload. "No, not really. We've never figured out how to kill these things. Mainly hoping I can just encourage them to leave."

Dreamstalker
"Stay inside the pod and never, ever send anything through unprotected. Oh, and never be standing near the exit when an unprotected or imbalanced load comes through. Excess matter is destroyed on the way out because, for some reason, fundamental forces fail momentarily. So whatever comes through tends to go up in a burst of heat and radiation."

The doors open.

"And finally, think about all of that as little as possible when using it."

She gets in.

Kheldarson
12-11-2011, 04:38 AM
Kheldarson
"And that's a choice. See? It's right there. Agree or be arrested. Well, even that's not necessarily the case, but moving on to more important matters. How about this? I bring you on as a sort of free agent. The only thing you have to do is come with me for a sort of orientation meeting. After that, I bring you back here, and you get to do your own thing with two exceptions. One, you report back to us on the activities of any risky supernatural elements you encounter. Two, if I think your personal abilities would specifically be of significant benefit to a mission, I call you in for it. Beyond those two things, you get to keep on going as you have been."

She leaned back and eyed him. Then eyed the exits one last time. Then sighed and shrugged. "I guess that works."

Mytical
12-11-2011, 05:15 AM
"Not really" answered Fred. "My visions are never wrong, but sometimes I mistake what I see. My vision showed me getting an offer from you guys, but never showed the others here."

Chanlin
12-11-2011, 05:53 AM
Doyle quirks an eyebrow... "What exactly are dese tings?"

KabeRinnaul
12-13-2011, 12:19 AM
Kheldarson
"Good! Then we should get started."

And so to speed things along he gets her to Division 7 some way or another, and we'll come back to that.

Chanlin
"Good question. We've dubbed them the Silent Ones, or somebody who was feeling poetic did, anyway." The car finally gets out of the fog and the attacks cease. Eli sits up and relaxes after looking around to make sure no more are coming. "They just show up, pass through an area, and vanish. Anybody gets close, they cut them to ribbons."

And when they get to the local division and get out, he'll get to see that in person - the sides of the car are carved apart all along the length of the body. But anyway. Again speeding things along, they take him through the offices to our now-familiar extradimensional elevator, and then to the meeting.

Division 7
An agent leads another man into the meeting room. Everyone probably catches their names as Eli and Doyle. And not long after them, a surly young woman who looks about as happy to be there as Sarah. The young lady takes a seat, and the agent who lead her in walks to the front of the room.

"Hello everyone. Sorry to interrupt your days, lives, and current notions of how reality works, but we thought your time would be better spent with us. Officially, my title is Field Agent and Research Supervisor, and my name is classified information, but you can call me Mr. Black. Welcome to FEND."

Chanlin
12-13-2011, 02:00 AM
(speeding thru things as well insert obligatory well that was weird comment about the transport system and the claw marks, I have not read any of the other posts about who is/is not here mostly so I don't have any above board knowledge to misuse)

Doyle glances around the room but remains quiet deciding that this is probably one of those times where it's wise to shut up and listen.

For those in the room: You see an agent wearing a pair of odd looking shades followed by a somewhat unremarkable man. The man is about 5' 8'' tall. (about 172 cm) He has a wiry athletic build and has a few days beard growth that is as fiery red as the hair on his head. He has a somewhat intelligent bluish-eyed gaze. He is dressed in a plain white t-shirt, a dark leather jacket, faded jeans and old somewhat worn sneakers. He is introduced as Doyle and gives a slight nod to the rest of the room at large.

For dragon-wings: He is feeling mildly scared, and you get the sense that he is on guard, he is otherwise calm.

For Everyone: If you happen to look away all you remember is that an agent wearing odd shades just walked in even though two people were just introduced you only remember the one. You still remember both of the names though. (for those with the prefect memory I'll let you decide, since I'm not certain if it is supernatural for you or not, as to whether or not you remember him. I was thinking you would forget him, but realize right away that you've forgotten something which would bug the hell out of you since that never happens. If the memory thing is not supernatural then you would just plum forget same as everyone else. However, it's your character so you decide :D )

Sarlon
12-13-2011, 02:21 AM
Sarah glances at the new arrivals growing uncomforable, the strange one with the glasses that walked in drew her eye, and she stares unblinking at him for a long moment rather unsettling for it seems shes not looking at you but something in you.

Sarah shakes her head briefly before lowering her eye, hunching her shoulders, and folding her hands back around the coke she had been nursing since it was brought in forgoing "adult" drinks.

her ears perk up at the man introduced as Agent Black, already dismissing the name as a fake before he mentions anything, but listening.

"And What exactly is fend Mr. Black? I mean wierd shit happens all the time, its part of every day life....normals just make themselves see something else since their minds can't handle the truth...I mean...." she glances around the room smirking, "The Truth is out there isn't it?"

she quietly snickers to herself, but is still not looking at anyone in particular.

Dreamstalker
12-13-2011, 02:49 PM
Maya seems to sense something's about to happen and flattens herself down on the floor between Terry's feet. Soon after the pod starts moving, Terry shuts her eyes, deciding that the easiest way to do this is with as little frame of reference as possible, at least the first time.

As she feels the pod come to a stop (how long did that actually take?), she blinks hard and has to take a few seconds to reorient herself. "...Holy hell that was weird." As she gets up she stumbles slightly; for some reason her brain isn't quite sure which direction is which. "Ow. I'll be okay." Maya somehow is less affected by all this, and Terry grabs onto the dog's collar until she's a bit more steady on her feet. "Sorry about that. Lead the way."

Jay 2K Winger
12-13-2011, 03:42 PM

Joey Monfries spent the time before the meeting's start regarding everyone present, mentally profiling them based on their appearance, mannerisms, and behavior. He couldn't help this. It was his job as an FBI profiler, after all. He glanced toward the last two arrivals and the agents accompanying them. For the briefest of moments, his thoughts... knotted themselves. Two arrivals? There were three, weren't there?

He did another glance around and ticked off each person on his fingers, then looked down at them. Why was there an extra one counted off on his finger? He shrugged this off. It had been a long day, and he was still coming to terms with the realization that there were hobgoblins and other nasties around, not to mention people with abilities like him.

When Mr. Black finished his introduction, Joey glanced at the girl asking what it was FEND did. "She has a point," Joey said. "If there's one thing humans are good at, it's ignoring the things that don't fit into their nice, rational world-views." But, remembering the scene at Calverton, he added, "But the things that are out there that go bump in the night are dangerous. I mean, I just came from a crime scene that belongs in an abattoir, not someone's home, and she was slaughtered alive by something that wasn't human."

He eyed Black. "That's what FEND is for, isn't it? To protect the 'normals' from things like that."

Chanlin
12-13-2011, 07:32 PM
((An OOC point of clarification just since I realized I wrote my previous post with a point of confusion in it. The agent with the odd pair of shades is Eli which is one of the NPC recruiters/already existing agents. Doyle is not wearing shades :)

dragon_wings
12-13-2011, 07:54 PM
Siobhan observes all the new people coming in while eating some of the food brought in. She stays quiet letting her empathy tell her what she needs to know. But after a while the onslaught of emotions makes her feel a bit ill.
'This is why I hated the first day of classes so much.' thought Siobhan while she rummaged through her bag for the anti anxiety pills that were the only thing that helped.

KabeRinnaul
12-13-2011, 07:57 PM
Dreamstalker
"Yeah, I never really get used to it, myself. I'm pretty sure there's no gravity in transit." She's lead in to the meeting room where the rest are.

Main Group
Black nods to the new arrivals. "Some stragglers, I see. I'd pretend to be very upset about the lateness and threaten punishments, but half the room doesn't actually work for us yet, and the other half knows me too well. And I'm sure Browning and Winchester have been letting all you newbies in on that one, too."

He addresses the main group again with a sigh. "Of course, none of you are going to let me have much fun with this, are you? But yes, there are things out there which are little more than oddities. Harmless little things that only carry a risk of upsetting someone's daily routine. Then there are the hobgoblins, vampires, and shades. The dread iota and the zombies. And I'd tell you to pray you never have to face a celestial, but that seems rather incongruous, doesn't it?" He grins at that. "We're here for both, because it's felt that it would be best for the average person to have as little interaction with our business as possible. But yes, the primary reason is to keep a handle on the really nasty ones."

And for our various empaths and analysts: Black's emotional state is basically arrogance and amusement wrapped around a Cheshire-cat sense of humor. More or less constantly. Whereas a profile reading more gives the impression of someone who's never entirely honest, never entirely serious, and always planning something. In neither case would anyone trust him further than they could throw him.

(Anyone remember that "You can always trust a dishonest man to be dishonest, but you never know when an honest man will do something incredibly stupid" bit from Pirates of the Caribbean? That's Black's personality in a nutshell.)

Chanlin
12-13-2011, 08:25 PM
Doyle being himself chooses to ignore most of what was just said and cut right to the heart of the matter. "Say we do come ta work fer ya. What's in it fer us?"

Jay 2K Winger
12-13-2011, 08:34 PM

Joey watched Mr. Black carefully. If the situation had been reversed, the BAU would have been having a field day analyzing this guy, then looking for anything to nail his ass to the wall. Their reasons might have varied: because anyone that untrustworthy deserved to be nailed for something, to deflate the obvious ego the man had, or to stop whatever scheme he had cooking in his brain.

In short, Joey knew the man was untrustworthy, but... well, consider what he had learned in just the last few hours. All of the vague suspicions he had had about the world, the things he had convinced himself were the result of the stress of hiding his talent and/or lack of sleep... they were all apparently true.

If this 'FEND' group had charged themselves with protecting the 'normals' from the dangerous stuff out there, well, that was good. And Joey had joined the FBI for two reasons: to make some use of his talent, and to protect people from the 'monsters.'

At the time, he'd told himself that monsters walked the world, and looked just like everybody else. Now he knew that while this was true, that didn't mean there weren't actual monsters out there.

Any empaths or people 'reading' him would pick up a sense of relief, but also wariness. Joey was someone who was usually guarded with what he showed, the result of years of hiding his ability from people.

Sarlon
12-13-2011, 10:40 PM
"do we get to carry guns?"

Sarah grins just slightly, not looking at Agent Black but a point just over his head though anyone not paying attentionwould think she was looking right at you.

"so welcome to orentation....and you have us all here, so now what?"

she leans back in her seat putting her feet up on the table crossing her legs at the ankle.

empaths: considering she is little more then a child she shows very little emotion, her mind is well organized, though just a faint hint of annoyance in general would be coming through. Anyone might thinks shes emotionless and cold and closed off.

Dreamstalker
12-14-2011, 05:02 PM
Terry finds a chair, somewhat away from the main group; Maya whines and glances around restlessly for a moment before settling down at her feet.

She glances around quickly, pauses upon seeing something around the man at the front, but she's not sure what it is. Doesn't seem particularly good or bad. Eh, new situation, I'll probably be picking up a lot of odd shit before I figure out what's what. She does get a hint of arrogance, and arrogant people tend to annoy her. Should I tell him what I actually do?

Maya picks up her head and inclines it toward a girl rummaging through a backpack; Terry looks up, tried to catch her eye and smiles a polite "hello". The dog usually didn't try to get her attention with someone unless she knew the person was 'good, but a few of the assembled people didn't quite look comfortable yet and she didn't want to randomly go up to someone.

She does comment on Sarah's comment about guns: "Do you guys use physical bullets or energy weapons?" then wonders if she really should have asked. "Sorry. Random curiosity."

Mytical
12-14-2011, 06:37 PM
Fred sort of chuckles "While I have some training in the basics of firearms and self defense..I am not a fighter. If we get partners, might want to put me with somebody who is good where I am not."

dragon_wings
12-14-2011, 10:10 PM
Siobhan notices a girl nearby trying to get her attention. Her dog is well behaved and seems interested in Siobhan.
She quietly says 'Hello. What's your dogs name?'
Siobhan pauses at the girl's question about energy weapons.

KabeRinnaul
12-15-2011, 11:14 PM
Black shakes his head. "No, there aren't any energy weapons. That's something we're working on, hoping to find a way to take down the ones immune to standard weaponry. If any of you happen to have any ideas on the matter, I'm sure research would love to hear them. We do, however, make use of specialized ammunition. Which brings me to the first point in what we're doing here today." The table surface in front of each person is suddenly lit by a touch-screen interface. "Welcome to why we do these things at Seven. It's not for the beautiful Missouri scenery, it's because someone managed to beg for the budget for these neat new smart meeting rooms."

Winchester speaks up. "Isn't it more about a centralized location?"

"You tell that to Division Eleven. I doubt Melbourne finds this centralized. But hey, back onto the actual topic. You're each being given the opportunity to access our database. Those who do are considered to have accepted our employment offer, and we'll be sorting out partner arrangements shortly. Those who don't, we'll be taking care of you as well. You just don't get to find out all the neat parts." He pauses to let them consider the option. "Oh, and feel free to insert your Alice in Wonderland or Keanu Reeves movie reference of choice here."

Those who accept the offer find themselves given access to a database of protocols, tools, locations, and threats (http://theuncertainareas.webs.com/rp/foundation.html). Though a few reluctant recruits (they know who they are) find theirs going to the database automatically after a few seconds of inaction, and are greeted by a message from Black informing them that he's taken the liberty of making the decision for them, and arrangements will be made.

(And there will be much more to the in-character database than what I've already written up on my site.)

Kheldarson
12-15-2011, 11:17 PM
There's a slightly hopeful look from Loren at the idea of being given a choice. Only to be followed by a groaned, "Oh God" as she lays her head on the table.

Sarlon
12-15-2011, 11:26 PM
Sarah flicks her eyes through the database absolutely enthralled absorbing the information like a sponge. Then glances up at black.

"so...you got me hook line and sinker...when can I start?"

Dreamstalker
12-16-2011, 12:48 AM
"I'm Terry, and this is Maya." At hearing her name, the dog looks up with an almost human grin. "So, I take it you were plucked from the middle of something too? You looked a bit confused."

dragon_wings
12-16-2011, 01:07 AM
'Confused? Not really. Overwhelmed? Yeah. I'm an empath and this kind of situation just makes me ill. Too many people with too many emotions.' replies Siobhan.
'May I pet Maya? Oh and my name is Siobhan.'
Siobhan then takes a look at the database. She finds it fascinating and gets a bit excited.

Jay 2K Winger
12-16-2011, 02:20 AM

Joey raised his eyebrows as he looked at the table and the touch interface. "...now I want to know where you lot get your funding," he said, voice dripping with envy. "We don't have anything close to this back at the B--" he considered the audience, not all of whom knew his background, and amended this to "--back where I work."

He laid his hands on the table, pointedly not on the touch interface, staring at it. If he accessed the database, he was in. Period. Goodbye FBI, hello 'FEND.' Whatever they were. If he didn't... blue pill time, and he goes back to hiding his talent and he'd end up with an ulcer by the time he was 30, and unable to forget what he'd seen, the knowledge that mankind truly was Not Alone...

If he left, he'd go back to dealing with the monsters that shared the same DNA as humanity, but the real threats... the things that really did go bump in the night... would be outside the purview of his job.

If he left...

Joey Monfries, late of the Federal Bureau of Investigation's Behavioral Analysis Unit, took a deep breath, then began to access the database literally at his fingertips.

Chanlin
12-16-2011, 03:35 AM
Doyle looks around to see how many of the others are looking at their screen and accessing the database before sighing and starting to go through his own. "Oi suppose dis means we're goin' ta have ta move?" He asks offhandedly still looking down at his screen.

Mytical
12-16-2011, 04:20 AM
Fred pretty much already knew the answers to his questions, though it would have been nice to actually have had them answered. He access the database, and sort of chuckles out loud, and says. "That's the problem with seeing the future, ones own actions can change the outcome. Sometimes not for the better."

KabeRinnaul
12-16-2011, 05:32 PM
"I suppose that could be the case, though that might depend on what you saw. As to a prior question or two, yes, anyone who works in the field will be armed. There are too many risks to do it any other way. And you will be working with one or two other agents, chosen from the ones who recruited you all, and each other. And yes, we will try to set up partners to cover each other's weak areas. Ah, here's something important. Names. Beyond the usual reasons of anonymity, there are certain entities out there that somehow gain power over a person by knowing their name, particularly how they use it personally. That's why we never use real names in the field. You never know who might be listening. So I suggest you devise an alternative to go by when working out there. Then we get to work out partners and who needs what kind of training. And a few of you I might be speaking to privately."

Dreamstalker
12-17-2011, 11:29 PM
"Sure. Maya obviously likes you; she has this talent for picking out the people she wants to associate with." Terry also finds the database very interesting, especially the section on "Awakened Animals" Hmmm...

"This is probably redundant, but I'm in. Way too interesting not to be."

Mytical
12-18-2011, 04:31 AM
Fred nods. "Well it's not that I am not trained in various small arms, and hand to hand, but when my visions hit they can render me about as useful as an ice cube in the artic. As for a code name guess Agent Psych would be a bit odd, so I guess I will go with Silver. I like the color names."

Chanlin
12-18-2011, 07:54 AM
Doyle looks around and clears his throat loudly hoping to get everyone's attention.

(this next bit assumes you look at him :) )

"Oi suppose Ghost would be an appropriate handle fer me. If we plan ta be werkin' tagedder den ya will want to spend time wit me. The more ya hang around me da less my ability effects ya."

Sarlon
12-18-2011, 11:31 AM
Sarah glances at the adult that cleared his throat so loudly listening intently to each of them speak, then after some thought says,

"well, I've been running and hiding most of my life learning to live under the radar, an able to smell a suit within 5 miles, so I guess I like the code name shadow."

Dreamstalker
12-18-2011, 01:21 PM
"I can see the invisible light spectrum sometimes; hasn't done me a lot of usefulness until now, but it might. I guess I'll take the name Ultraviolet." Terry indicates Maya. "Does she need a codename too?"

Jay 2K Winger
12-18-2011, 04:31 PM
Joey glanced up from his perusal of the Foundation's entry on "hobgoblins." He considered the topic of names, and spoke up.

"Code-names like 'Ghost'--" and for a moment he wondered who had recommended that name for themselves (Joey wasn't looking directly at Doyle, so he had forgotten the man's presence), but then continued with no pause in his speech, "--or 'Ultraviolet' is all well and good for some sort of Spec Ops team. But if we're going to be dealing with the public in some cases..." He shrugged.

"The trick to a good pseudo is that, while a person might automatically assume we're not giving them a real name, there's enough doubt there that they can't dismiss that it might be a real name."

Beat.

"I'll go with 'Newton' for mine."

dragon_wings
12-18-2011, 05:00 PM
'Agent Irish' states Siobhan sharpening her natural Irish accent. 'I wouldn't answer to anything else'

Dreamstalker
12-19-2011, 01:49 PM
"Good point; I hadn't exactly thought of that. I tended to not deal with the public a hell of a lot in what I did before. Mine could be shortened to Violet for that purpose, then. Another one would just further confuse things."

Jay 2K Winger
12-19-2011, 02:53 PM
The newly minted 'Agent Newton' nodded to 'Agent Violet.' Violet was a bit strange to use as a last name, but he had seen stranger. "Just trying to be helpful," he said, as he looked back at the hobgoblin records he had pulled up on the smart table.

Chanlin
12-19-2011, 03:34 PM
Doyle mulls over the point about dealing with the public and then realizes its mostly a moot point for him... "Won' much matter none. No one remembers me anyway.... is why Oi chose Ghost. "

Dreamstalker
12-21-2011, 03:55 AM
"No worries; you have a good point, I think so anyway. Introducing myself as 'Ultraviolet' would definitely cause me to be remembered, and I gather that might not be a good thing at times." Terry is perusing the Celestial entry with some interest.

Sarlon
12-22-2011, 12:19 AM
Sarah stares curiously at the dog that was in the room and lowers her hand, palm up, over the side of her chair, and with the tiniest of motions gestures the dog to come if allow.

she glances curiously at the adults, as they seem so absorbed in the reading, then a small smirk crosses her lips as she recalls with near perfect clarity all she had read, and quietly mulls it over.

"agent black....would firearm training be given for those like myself without any formal training?"

Dreamstalker
12-22-2011, 02:20 AM
Maya glances over at Terry as if to ask "can I, Mom?"; she nods, and the dog bounces over and starts demanding scritches from Sarah.

"I was gonna ask about training too; I've only fired a regular rifle twice and that was at a fixed target."

dragon_wings
12-22-2011, 02:49 AM
'I have basic training on most guns. I'm proficient on most handguns though.' states Siobhan.
'I much prefer hand to hand though. I can hold my own in physical combat against an opponent 3 times my size.'

Kheldarson
12-22-2011, 05:55 AM
"This is still way over my head," Loren complains. "And I'm still not sure I'd be any good, especially if we're talking fighting now. I just run."

Chanlin
12-22-2011, 07:06 AM
Doyle grins and looks at Loren, "Smart ting lass. First rule o' survivin' a fight is don' fight if ya don' have ta."

KabeRinnaul
12-22-2011, 07:46 AM
"First things first, just Mr. Black. I've gone this long without letting them give me an Agent designation, and I have no intention of changing that now. But, you won't all be required to take on a combat role, nor become proficient with weapons. However, anyone who's primarily doing field work is going to have to get at least basic combat proficiency. Further training will be available to anyone who's interested - yes, even for the younger ones. As for the other question I heard, no, you won't need to give the dog a code name, unless it starts talking and introducing itself."

Sarlon
12-22-2011, 10:31 AM
Sarah scratches the dogs head, ears and chin, basically allowing the dog to move her hand where it wants the scritches most. A brief moment of unguarded smile crosses her lips as she listens to the discussions.

"I've seen plenty of guns and firefights..." a small shiver of fear moves through her slight frame, "but I have never fired one myself."

Jay 2K Winger
12-22-2011, 01:39 PM
Joey (aka Agent Newton) shrugged at the mention of combat proficiency. "I know how to handle a firearm," he said, and this much would have been clear to anyone who had spotted his Bureau-issued sidearm under his jacket. "It was required at my old job."

He scratched the back of his head. "I know how to defend myself in hand-to-hand, but I generally avoid getting into such situations." He didn't add why. With his talent, he tended to find out more about his fighting opponent than he usually cared to, from contact with their clothes or with their bodily fluids, sometimes.

Dreamstalker
12-22-2011, 01:50 PM
"I have some hand to hand training, but generally try to avoid those situations. I have a lot of experience with what you'd probably call unconventional firearms--basically directed energy weapons. Not sure exactly how useful that would be here though."

Chanlin
12-25-2011, 08:43 PM
Doyle simply makes a mental note of everyone's skills but remains silent himself on the subject choosing instead to appraise the people in the room. After a moment he looks right at the man calling himself Newton appraising his side arm. For now he keeps to himself deciding that if his suspicions are indeed true, and the man had chosen not to reveal his profession he had his reasons for it. Besides, he himself had declined to reveal his own choice of profession for reasons of his own.

Sarlon
01-06-2012, 02:20 AM
"so mister black...what exactly would you have us do. Surely you cannot expect to know all our strengths and weaknesses from a single meeting."

Sarah looks at his face directly and he would get the distinct impression he was having his soul looked at rather then just his face....it would only last a moment, as her eyes would quickly move to the spot over his shoulder or above his head.

(anyone speaking directly to her would note she never looks anyone in the face or eyes directly.)

KabeRinnaul
01-09-2012, 11:59 AM
It would be hard to imagine a more cocksure smirk than the one he gives there. "All? No, but I do have a good idea of them. Why do you think they let me do this? But just so you know, I can do anything that the people around me do. So while I may not be able to look you over and know your level of combat training or anything, well..." He goes around the room, pointing in turn at Romanza, Loren, Doyle, Siobhan, Joey, Fred, Terry, and Sarah. "I'll know when anyone is lying. I can vanish small items. I could let you all forget I'm here. I can pick up on your emotions. I can know an object's history by touching it. I can get hints of the future. I can see more than a normal human can. And I've got perfect memory." That smirk returns. "And since I know who I'm picking them up from, I have at least that, in addition to what I already know about you and can pick up through all of that."

Jay 2K Winger
01-09-2012, 02:41 PM
Joey tensed as Mr. Black pointed him out and stated what his talent was. Then he glared at the man. Oh, how he wished that he and the BAU had run into him in the course of one of their investigations. Sure, the man had some weird ability of his own and connections, but SSA Lindy would have pulled any strings he had (and the man had quite a few) to nail this smarmy bastard's ass to the wall.

Now that he was outed, however, Joey sighed. "It's true," he admitted. "It may seem fairly mundane, but it has its uses, even if it isn't admissible in court." There, again, a hint to those who didn't know who he was (i.e., the rest of the newcomers to FEND) that he worked in law enforcement somehow. "It can also lead to some... unpleasant knowledge. I hope I do not have to draw you a picture."

Chanlin
01-10-2012, 01:01 PM
Doyle gives a slight grin looking at Mr Black, "Oi wonder 'ow safe it be in 'ere if ya copy everyting. Or can ya control it?"

Mytical
01-10-2012, 03:11 PM
Fred outright laughs. "Hey, you can have my visions if you want them. Seeing as the lightest of them use to have me rolling on the floor in agony. If you are not use to them..a strong one will kill you."

Sarlon
01-10-2012, 10:21 PM
"better then never forgetting anything...." sarah mumbles this quietly still petting the dog and still not looking at anyone.

KabeRinnaul
01-13-2012, 09:37 PM
"Of course I can control it. Can you imagine if I couldn't? We used to have a guy in Research who could see and think in four spatial dimensions. I only tried his ability once. He's the one who created that lovely transport system that got most of you here, by the way."

Dreamstalker
01-15-2012, 12:28 AM
"Ah, that explains it. I think." Terry also didn't look at Black directly, and noticed that Maya (who was usually trying to pay attention to everyone in a room) was intent on Sarah.

Chanlin
01-16-2012, 07:54 PM
Doyle glances around the room once more and then back at Mr Black, "Are we gonna git to choose our own partners, or have ya decided dat fer us already too?"

Sarlon
01-16-2012, 10:38 PM
sarah glances at doyle as he mentions parnters, then cocks her head to the side glancing at each person no more then a half second, then back to Black, but says nothing more.

(each person would of felt her glance even if they were not looking at her)

Jay 2K Winger
01-17-2012, 02:08 PM
Joey couldn't stop a little shudder as Black described the "guy in Research" with four-dimensional awareness. Joey had a vivid imagination, and that trip in the transport hadn't been entirely pleasant. To think that some poor fool is stuck perceiving that kind of thing on a regular basis...

Add to that some of the books he read as a younger man (why oh why did he read that book of Lovecraft?) and Joey had to wonder how much sanity the "guy in Research" still had.

Then he did his best to push all this out of the forefront of his mind (which just meant it would sneak up on him later, when he was sleeping) and paid attention to the conversation.

KabeRinnaul
01-23-2012, 04:13 AM
"I'm open to requests. Anyone who doesn't have anything in mind, though, I'll gladly come up with something. Though you may not necessarily have permanent assignment, either. And since I'm sure you're wondering, things are going to start out with simple jobs, with some training and assessment in between. And since I'm sure your wondering, the simple jobs will consist of things like hunting down anomalous objects, investigating unclear incidents to determine if there's actual extranormal activity involved, identifying and assessing unknown threats, and a bit of straightforward field work against Class 0 and 1 ENs. Maybe a 2 if you're unlucky. Reminds me. Joey, you're going to stay on with Romanza, and keep on that Hobgoblin case. Rest of you... any preferences?"

Chanlin
01-23-2012, 06:08 AM
Doyle glances around "Put me wid da kid dat never forgets anyting." He glances over at Sarah, "Assuming dats ok wid you lass."

Kheldarson
01-23-2012, 06:25 AM
"I suppose sayin' I just want to stay put is not an option?" Pointed look at Black.

KabeRinnaul
01-23-2012, 07:57 AM
"Of course saying that is an option. I'm just going to ignore it when you do. You work under me, by the way."

Kheldarson
01-23-2012, 08:07 AM
Loren gets a pained look on her face and lays her head on the table in mild defeat. "...suck so much..."

Sarlon
01-23-2012, 11:33 AM
Sarah glances at Doyle and smiles shyly, giving a nod of her head.

Jay 2K Winger
01-23-2012, 01:57 PM
Joey nodded to Mr. Black, looking from him to Agent Romanza, the human lie detector, if Black's insinuation about her ability was any clue. "Makes sense, going after that hobgoblin," he said. "Something that unpredictably dangerous should be caught and stopped."

The question in his mind was... how did they find it? By Romanza's own admission, there was no pattern to the hobgoblin's attacks that they could determine, and Joey hadn't been able to pick up anything from his talent or insights at the scene in Calverton.

dragon_wings
01-23-2012, 02:43 PM
'It doesn't really matter to me too much who I get partnered with.' replied Siobhan.

Mytical
01-24-2012, 08:23 AM
After looking through the files for awhile. "No real preferences, if anybody wants to partner up I am game. There is that 'dust tornado' in Kansas..Reoccurring, and supposedly glows, however."

KabeRinnaul
01-29-2012, 04:46 AM
Black nods. "Well, on that point, there's a research team out there already under the guise of some storm chasers. But, with what we have so far, I think I know what we'll do. Fred, you'll be joining Joey and Romanza. Law enforcement backgrounds, one sees the past, one sees the future, and one is a lie detector? I like that. It's like we've got a theme going. Next up, Doyle and Sarah, you'll be joined by Loren, and I've got something in mind for you three. See me after class. And finally, we have Irish and Violet. Cassandra, care to find something to have them do?"

The blonde at the back of the room nods. "Probably, considering everyone likes to hand any fey cases off to me."

"Alright then, looks like that's everyone."

Winchester speaks up. "What about us?" And gestures vaguely to the three 'escorts' left in the room.

"Winchester, you and Browning are senior agents, and Savant stays with Cassandra, unless she decides to reassign him to your team. And besides, I seem to recall you already had an ongoing assignment before you were asked to pick up Fred here."

Browning sighs. "Another damn snipe hunt..."

Black grins at them. "Don't worry guys, I'm sure you'll eventually work off punishment. But considering you got drunk on a stakeout and let the EN walk away that might take a while." And back to the rest of the room. "Any other questions?"

Kheldarson
01-29-2012, 05:11 AM
"Can I go with those two? It sounds like they have more fun." Loren indicates Browning and Winchester.

KabeRinnaul
01-29-2012, 05:22 AM
Winchester turns to her. "Only if you like camping. Snipe hunts are when you get stuck in the middle of nowhere to locate unknown ENs with shaky evidence out in the wilderness. Crap like finding Bigfoot or getting evidence of Nessie. That sort of thing."

Chanlin
01-29-2012, 08:20 AM
Doyle quirks an eyebrow at the law enforcement comment, it was nice to have your suspicions confirmed. He glances after everyone as they leave and then back to those remaining and then at Mr Black, "So what do we get to do?" he asks.

(ooc: operating on the assumption that everyone will eventually leave the room leaving him, Sarah, Loren and Mr Black as the last ones left)

Sarlon
01-29-2012, 11:25 AM
Sarah remains quiet through all this till doyle speaks up, then she glances up with interest.

Dreamstalker
01-29-2012, 09:42 PM
Terry narrowly stops Maya from knocking both her and Cassandra over. "Fey? That could be either the good or bad sort of interesting. What types are we talking about?"

KabeRinnaul
01-30-2012, 03:15 AM
Black turns his attention to Doyle. "I'm going to have you doing a recovery job. You remember the bit about anomalous items? Good, that's going to be important. Now, to get things started, how about we take over the neighboring conference rooms and spread out into teams. Romanza, you get to organize going after the hobgoblin. San, I'm sure you have things under control."

She nods, and gestures for her team to follow her up the hall, which includes Savant, the one she came with in the first place, with Romanza leading Fred and Joey to a similar room in the other direction, and Browning and Winchester heading out towards the transports.

Cassandra's Team
She answers Terry's question as the move down the hall. "The hobgoblin Romanza's team is concerned with is one example. Cannibals, basically, and very strong. Fey share a few traits, which is why we group them together, and believe them to be somehow related. First, they're very resistant to damage from anything but certain forms of iron. Second, they have a particular look about them, to our sight. And third, they're sociopaths to a one. Not to mean they're all killers, but they don't seem capable of seeing anyone but themselves as anything but objects."

Romanza's Team
Romanza leads the two into a room similar to, but slightly smaller than, the one they'd just been in, and starts working on the table's display surface, bringing up a map of the mid-Atlantic coast, covering from eastern Pennsylvania down to the very northernmost parts of North Carolina, with a series of locations lighting up. "So, Fred, how exactly do your visions work? What triggers them?"

Black's Team
"Well, now that we have the room to ourselves, we'll continue." He pauses. "Although I have to say, I like the part where I get left the biggest room. Makes you feel special, you know? Anyway. Anomalous objects are those random little items that pop up and either cause problems, or do things we'd really rather no one know about. Once had a key that would link two doors together. You'd lock the goal with the key, then you could unlock any other locked door with it, and you'd come out of the one you'd locked before, instead of passing through the one you had just unlocked. We're still not sure how that works. But this time we're going to be trying to get an item from someone's personal collection."

Mytical
01-30-2012, 05:34 AM
Fred shrugs. "I have no idea..or if they actually have triggers. Can be something as mundane as a cat is going to knock over a vase to when an earthquake is going to hit. Though it seems the higher the stress I am under the more powerful the visions are, and the more relevant they are. The clearer, and more informative, the vision..the worse they hurt. As for how they work..it's like watching a movie in my head...only i am on the set of the movie. Nobody can see me, and I can move around .. sometimes..and sometimes it is too quick to do so, but I can't actually interact with anything, just see different viewpoints."

Chanlin
01-30-2012, 07:26 AM
Doyle gives a slightly bemused Grin, "So who be da someone we're gonona relieve dis item from?"

Sarlon
01-30-2012, 11:22 AM
sarah listens carefully to black a thoughtful expression on her face.

"Mr Black, this may seem a silly question, but my foster mother used to think we had a house goblin....you know....make things disappear even though you've looked the same place 50 times? then suddenly its there again....do they really exsist?"

Jay 2K Winger
01-30-2012, 05:27 PM
Joey nods to Fred. "My own visions-- I think the technical term for them would be 'postcognition'-- can be triggered by touching something." He shrugs a little. "Most of the time, what I pick up is so low-key as to be unnoticeable. But if something particularly 'strong' happened to it or around it, what I pick up is a lot stronger." He massages his temples. "It doesn't work when I touch a person or something living, except for bodily fluids, especially blood."

He nods to the map Romanza's called up, pointing to the dot in Virginia. "Calverton, Virginia. Most recent hob attack," he says, barely noticing that he abbreviated 'hobgoblin' like that. "The hob used a knife to butcher its victim, apparently made of obsidian."

dragon_wings
01-30-2012, 09:09 PM
'So we'll be hunting fey' mused Siobhan interested.

KabeRinnaul
01-31-2012, 12:35 AM
Romanza's Team
She nods, and taps the various locations to bring up short profiles of each incident. "The fey tend to carry items of ritual importance, and use them repeatedly. When we find this one, I really suggest you avoid touching that knife." The last part directed towards Joey.

"I like where Black was going with this grouping. I just really wonder if there isn't a way for you to see where it is now." And that one towards Fred.

Black's Team
"Hm... not that we've ever encountered. Now, there could be plenty of other reasons. A particularly mischievous awakened animal, certain forms of poltergeist, or the odd case of interdimensional slippage. Last one is always fun to figure out. Turns out most solid shapes are actually rather flimsy, 4th-dimensionally speaking. Things get a bit jumbled. Then again, maybe that's exactly what it is and you get to uncover a new type of EN. Anyway, to answer the previous question, there's a wealthy collector of oddities near Savannah, Georgia. Most of his collection is the typical 'Believe it or Not' garbage, but he's recently acquired something that caught our eye. A pair of glasses that somehow distort perceptions and lead to feelings of euphoria. We're not certain exactly what they are or how they work, because the agent sent in to investigate didn't have a chance to try them, only see them used by someone else."

Cassandra's Team
"Probably. But then again, I'm probably our most experienced agent, so a good number of unknowns get sent my way, too. I hope you're the adventurous sort, because we'll probably be getting all the weird ones."

She waits until everyone finds places around the table and brings up the touch screen again, this time displaying what seem to be new cases in need of investigation, and begins flipping through files.

"Mysterious disappearances, anyone? I've got three of those. Including one involving human trafficking. Hm, and a mysterious crime spree with indications of some sort of sex cult. And one... Hm. Well, this one is best left alone for now." She pulls the four files up on the display, while closing and removing a fifth.

Kheldarson
01-31-2012, 12:40 AM
"You want us to steal glasses?" Loren sits back in mild disbelief.

Sarlon
01-31-2012, 02:23 AM
"glasses are the second most commonly lost thing among humans you know....besides keys."

Sarah speaks a little more confidently now...

"when do we leave and how exactly are we getting there?"

Chanlin
01-31-2012, 03:00 AM
"Sounds like it could be interestin'" Doyle says noting the reactions of his soon to be partners. "Da details of how ta do it up ta us or ya already got it planned fer us too?"

KabeRinnaul
01-31-2012, 03:16 AM
Black's Team
"You can handle the details, and I'll make suggestions if I think you're missing something. Aside from that, I'll just be letting you know how things are set up. The object is in what amounts to a private museum, where he likes to show off his collection. Doors are locked and alarmed, as are his display cases - reports indicate that the case the glasses are in is especially secure. We also know private security has been hired to watch the building when it's closed to the public."

Kheldarson
01-31-2012, 03:31 AM
"So...main goal is getting me close enough to the glasses to pocket them. And then out. All without being noticed." Loren sighs. "That's a tall order."

Mytical
01-31-2012, 06:49 AM
Fred thinks "Well, any chance we can either see or visit the last spot it was? Mostly I don't need a vision to find things or people. I can take a single look at a room and if there is even the smallest traces can tell you who's been there, what they did, and even sometimes figure out where they might go next. That and there is a chance seeing the area might trigger a vision."

Jay 2K Winger
01-31-2012, 01:56 PM
Romanza's Briefing Room

Joey nodded a bit at Fred. "Sounds like you have some postcognition as well, but a bit more broad-spectrum. Mine is a lot more focused and item-specific." He glanced to Romanza. "Sounds like we should take him to Calverton, let him see the most recent scene and see if he can pick up something. And trust me, I have no intention of deliberately touching that knife if I can help it." He shuddered. "I'm going to be having nightmares as it is from touching that woman's blood earlier."

Chanlin
01-31-2012, 06:03 PM
Doyle seems lost in thought for a few moments before speaking again. "Seems ta me if I were ta do dis alone Oi'd arrange ta be at one o' da public shows ta case da place." He glances over at Black, "Don' suppose ya got a photo of da glasses, or a convincin' replica already made?"

Mytical
01-31-2012, 07:50 PM
Fred chuckles. "No, though I have had visions of the past, ninety eight percent or more is about the future. When I look at people..or places..its like I am a walking crime lab. I can spot things like dirt or cat hair, or such that most people will miss. I can use that information to make logical conclusions. Something like the legendary Sherlock Holmes could..though probably nowhere near as good."

Jay 2K Winger
01-31-2012, 10:06 PM
Joey grinned at Fred. "Then we'll get along great. I'm not that bad at putting things together from a glance around the scene. Not quite to microscopic detail, but I am good at pattern recognition, even before you factor in my... well, I guess you could call it 'tactile postcognition.' And when you add that in, the patterns fall into place a lot faster."

He looked to Romanza. "We'll definitely need to take him back to the Calverton scene. I got as much as I could from the scene without passing out or seriously traumatizing my psyche. Fred might be able to pick up more and help us find out where this hob is hiding, or where he's planning to strike next."

Sarlon
01-31-2012, 10:31 PM
sarah looks down at her rather scruffy appearance.

"no one is gonna let me within 10 miles of a place like that.....but I've picked more then a few locks in my life, computers included."

Chanlin
02-01-2012, 10:06 PM
Doyle looks at all assembled and gets a 'guess what I'm thinking' grin on his face "Oi tink oi have an idea fer dat lass." You'd almost swear he's chuckling as he says to Loren, "So 'ow do ya feel about marriage." He raises his eyebrows to emphasize the last word.

Sarlon
02-01-2012, 10:33 PM
"don't think shes your type Mr Doyle...your so forgettable."

Sarah smirks knowingly, looking at him directly.

Kheldarson
02-02-2012, 03:36 AM
Loren blinks at the question, focusing on Doyle momentarily. "I think it's kinda for the birds."

Chanlin
02-02-2012, 12:36 PM
Doyle sighs and chuckles, "Glad ta see oi got partners dat can tink on der feet." He shrugs and turns his palms up, "Is a simple con, Man, woman, child, private collection occasionally open for public viewing. 'tis an easy in. Now all we need is a plan ta snatch or replace dem glasses."

Sarlon
02-02-2012, 12:38 PM
"pulled it often mr doyle?"

Sarah still can't keep from smiling, a laugh bubbling up in her even with hearing lorens reaction.

Kheldarson
02-02-2012, 04:42 PM
Loren scowled. "I'm not a con artist. Just a street performer. But the glasses really aren't an issue, especially if we have a replacement. Well, assuming there's no trigger plate or something like in that Ford movie."

Chanlin
02-02-2012, 06:43 PM
Doyle nods at Loren, "Never suggested ya were a con artist. If it get's us in da door, and past security wit'out any trouble t'ough..."

Kheldarson
02-02-2012, 07:28 PM
"Yeah, I get ya. Then we get near the glasses and I can do my thing and we're out in as little time as possible?"

Chanlin
02-02-2012, 09:15 PM
"Aye t'ats da hope. Just got ta be ready ta improvise in case t'ings go south."

KabeRinnaul
02-02-2012, 10:52 PM
Black's Team
Black's watching the proceedings with an amused expression. "I like the part where you keep assuming we have a copy of the glasses. Not saying we can't come up with one, of course, just that there isn't one yet."

Romanza's Team
"That sounds like a plan, though we should go over what's here first before heading out, in case that helps illuminate anything Fred finds. Oh, and concerning an earlier comment - please disregard anything Black tries to tell you about 'Agent Holmes'. He likes to get creative with Foundation history."

Kheldarson
02-02-2012, 10:53 PM
"I can still do any of this without a copy. Just it might be harder getting out."

Jay 2K Winger
02-03-2012, 06:43 PM
Romanza's Team
"That sounds like a plan, though we should go over what's here first before heading out, in case that helps illuminate anything Fred finds. Oh, and concerning an earlier comment - please disregard anything Black tries to tell you about 'Agent Holmes'. He likes to get creating with Foundation history."

Joey-- Agent Newton now, he supposed-- nodded to Romanza. "All right, let's go over what the Foundation knows about the hobgoblins, then. I got a quick-and-dirty version in Calverton, and Fred knows next to nothing, I'm willing to wager."

He didn't comment on the 'Agent Holmes' line, but somehow it didn't surprise him. From his brief interaction with Mister Black, Joey had already decided he didn't like the man. This little warning she had given him only cemented it further.

Chanlin
02-04-2012, 01:00 PM
Doyle shakes his head as he says, "Never were assumin' we had a copy. Did assume we could make one, but if da missy doesn't t'ink we need it..." he looks at Loren questioningly.

Kheldarson
02-04-2012, 03:45 PM
"It would make it easier when it comes to hiding what we'll do, but it's not necessary, I think." She stretches back, seemingly brushing him inadvertently. "I mean people tend t' discount what they can't understand right? Oh and I think this is yours." Holds up a wallet from her other hand.

Sarlon
02-04-2012, 10:58 PM
"if we could get a personal tour of the place I can make a floor plan and maybe a plan from that of some sort..."

Sarah looks at Black questioningly.

"Less you already have something like that?"

Dreamstalker
02-05-2012, 01:19 PM
Terry notices the file being closed, but decides that she shouldn't even ask. "Fey involved in human trafficking?" Maya seems to pick her ears up and lean forward at this.

Sarlon
02-12-2012, 01:37 PM
"So when do we get this party started?"

KabeRinnaul
02-13-2012, 01:49 AM
Black's Team
Black shrugs. "Give Research a few hours to come up with the copy, and we can get started as soon as the guy opens his little show up tomorrow. And I'm fairly certain we've got a floor plan." He pokes at the touch screen for a bit until he brings up a map. "There we are."

Romanza's Team
"There's a bit on the file system, but the main points are they're cannibalistic, ritual-focused, sociopathic, and like to target children in particular. If you name any really heinous killer with that sort of profile, I'd give you even odds on a hobgoblin being the actual culprit. They tend to be local predators - keeping to one city or a single rural area. That's one of the things that stands out in this case - how spread out his targets are. The other is how careful he's being - most hobs fall into a complete bloodlust upon cornering a victim, and leave an obvious trail. I've mostly been trying to think of a way of confirming either his identity or method of transportation."

Cassandra's Team
She nods. "Out in California. The reports can't confirm whether it's an actual fey case, but whoever sent it in seems to think it will be." She pulls that one up, revealing a rather sparse outline of information, mainly describing some victims who were recovered and where things took place.