PDA

View Full Version : DMV & License Plate Troubles

Jay 2K Winger
11-25-2011, 03:22 PM
Putting this here for lack of knowledge of where to put this exactly. No real suckage on anybody's part, just ... stuff happened.

As my car's registration was expiring this month, it was time to renew. Except, with me now having a better job than retail hell, my folks decided it was time for me to legit own the car. (I may have been paying for gas, maintenance, all the fees, etc., but it was still in my parents' name.) So they signed the car title over to me and said to make sure I got insurance and to take it to the DMV to finalize the transfer.

I got the insurance thing taken care of, and take the day off from work on Wednesday so I can go to the DMV. I took the day because, being that the month ends next week, and the DMV is closed from Thursday through Saturday, I didn't know how busy it would get.

First Stop: DMV (9:30AM-ish)

So I get to the DMV, speak with the clerk about what I need to do. She tells me that, if my parents are gifting me the car, I need to get a sales tax exemption form notarized. As they don't have a notary at the DMV, this means I have to go to the bank. I take the form and go.

Second Stop: Bank (10AM-ish)

I get to the bank, meet with the notary. It's a relatively simple matter to get her to notarize the form after I sign it. I make sure the rest of the form is filled out, and go back to the DMV.

Third Stop: DMV (10:30AM-ish)

With the exemption form notarized and the car title filled out, I go through the line, and get called up to the window so I can get the car title transferred to me. Only hitch is that my car needs its emissions inspection done. As such, they can only register my car through the end of December. I get my plates and go to get the inspection done.

Fourth Stop: Gas Station (11:15AM-ish)

I get to the gas station, explain I need the emissions inspection done, and wait the requisite twenty minutes or so for the inspection to finish. Get the receipt and inspection report, and go back to the DMV again.

Fifth Stop: DMV (12PM-ish)

By now, the DMV is filling up. It takes a little longer than my first two trips to get called up to the window. But I pay the money to re-up my registration through next year, and while I'm there, get my driver's license renewed as well.

Sixth Stop: Home (1:30PM-ish)

Now that's all done, I go back home so I can replace the license plates. Get my dad's socket wrench, and go outside. The problem is, however, that the hex-head screws are metric, whereas my dad's wrench is US. None of the sockets fit the screws. So I head out to the hardware store.

Seventh Stop: Hardware Store A (2:15PM-ish)

I go to "Shears" Hadware, find a metric socket wrench set, and grab four metric hex-head screws to replace the old, rusted screws currently in there.

Eighth Stop: Home (2:40PM-ish)

The rear license plate comes off no problem and I'm able to put the new plate on there. The front plate, however, gave me troubles. I had it affixed by the two top holes, but one of the screws there would not come out. I worked at it, swore at it, but nothing I did could get it out. It came loose, but it was bent and stripped, so it came part-way out, and then kept sticking in mid-turn. So I left it hanging by the borked screw and headed out to find someone to remove it.

Ninth Stop: Oil Change (3:30PM-ish)

After a stop to refuel (both the car and myself), I go over to the "Lube of Jiff" to both get the oil changed (as I was overdue anyway) and ask them if they had some way of getting the screw out on that license plate. This took longer than I expected, as my serpentine belt had frayed through. (Although I gather this is a "common" "malady" at such places, I had my reasons for believing it that I won't get into here.) So I wait.

But when my car was brought out, it turned out that they'd misinterpreted my request regarding the license plate, or forgotten, because rather than remove the one screw holding that plate on, they'd stuck a new screw in to keep it on. I restated what I had asked, and so they grabbed a socket screwdriver and went to work trying to remove it. One man couldn't do it, so a second came over with a flat-head screwdriver to wedge the screw out of its hole so the other could turn it.

It didn't work. The guy suggested taking a hacksaw to it. As luck would have it, there was a hardware store nearby.

Tenth Stop: Hardware Store B (4:30PM-ish)

I go into "Bowes" Hardware in search of a small hacksaw. In my search, I find something else I did need (one of those "micro-touch" beard trimmer doohickeys) and take this and the small hacksaw I needed and buy them.

I go out to my car, get out my socket wrench... and find that the head on the screw that Lube of Jiff had put on was a smaller size than the one for the socket I had. The rest of my sockets were back at home.

Eleventh Stop: Home (5:15PM-ish)

I get the socket set, go outside and find the right-sized socket to use, and remove the offending screw (which I threw away). Then I set to work sawing through the borked screw. This takes me a little while, but finally I saw the damn thing off.

So I start to affix the new plate in place, intending to put screws in opposite corners (top left and bottom right)... except the top left hole is apparently stripped. The new screw won't stay in. So I shrug, affix the plate in place by the two bottom holes, then head back inside to put everything away.

In the end, it was good that I took the day to get it all done. Aggravating that it took so long, but it got done, and that was all well and good.

fireheart
11-25-2011, 03:34 PM
Not sure if it's always the case, but some tools do have measurements in both Imperial and Metric measurements.

Jay 2K Winger
11-25-2011, 03:59 PM
Not sure if it's always the case, but some tools do have measurements in both Imperial and Metric measurements.

Maybe so. Not in the case of my dad's tools.

Additional bit of aggravation I forgot to mention was during my first stop back home, when I explained to my dad that his socket wrench didn't work, was he suggested taking it over to Honda, because of the whole US-vs-Metric thing. I started saying I could just go buy some metric socket wrench heads-- while he's still trying to explain the whole metric thing, which I completely understood. Before long, my dad is raising his voice to try to talk over me (he's a lawyer, and hard of hearing, and stubborn, so I let it slide), until I finally ask him to stop and let me finish.

But yeah, maybe there are some socket wrench heads that are either-or, or sets that come with both US and metric, but we didn't have those.

Javarod
11-25-2011, 04:36 PM
Shoulda just taken it to the regular shop for the bolt problem. I had the same thing with an old car i had, they had a pneumatic cut off wheel. Full service shops will always have one of these, you use them for things like cutting the exhaust off or removing old crudded up bolts, Yiffy Lube has a minimum of tools.

Outside of that, i always tell people it could be worse, you could have to deal with the NJ DMV, half hour wait to get forms, half hour to drop them, 6 or so hours for them to process it.

NCO
11-26-2011, 12:10 AM
Let me give you some advice. DO NOT take your vehicle to Iffy Lube. Yes I call it Iffy and for a very good reason. They are the 9th circle of hell in the auto industry. They do not hire qualified techs. They hire talking chimps for minimum wage. A job at Iffy Lube on a resume is an automatic disqualifier for anyone looking to get a job at a good shop. All the techs I know would rather live under a bridge and beg for change on the street corner than work at Iffy Lube.

Take your car to an independent that has good word-of-mouth reputation, build a first-name-basis "how's your momma and them" relationship with them, and go nowhere else. Not even for oil changes.

BlaqueKatt
11-26-2011, 12:13 AM
This took longer than I expected, as my serpentine belt had frayed through. (Although I gather this is a "common" "malady" at such places, I had my reasons for believing it that I won't get into here.)

when I worked there we had just started offering that service, and were told to look for 6 cracks per inch as a sign that it needs replacement. according to what I've found online (http://www.automedia.com/Serpentine_Belt_Replacement/ccr20030801sb/1) that is correct, it's a "common malady" as many people don't think about checking it or replacing it until it breaks(unless the manufacturer specifies different it should be replaced ever 30,000 to 60,000 miles)

Chromatix
11-26-2011, 12:16 PM
Just be glad your car doesn't use Whitworth tools - though if it did, you would probably have got a set long before now. Some classic British cars use them.

So in Britain, a really good car shop has to have *three* sets of tools. Imperial (inches across the flats), metric (mm across the flats), and Whitworth (inches aross the *points*).

fireheart
11-27-2011, 10:33 AM
On a sub-note: the car changes plates when it changes hands? :confused:

Aethian
11-27-2011, 12:51 PM

In the US it does.

dalesys
11-27-2011, 03:12 PM
Used to be common that you got new plates (and numbers) every year. Utah did that through 1972.

And a certain fingery state was famous for re-issuing SOS (Shoot On Sight) numbers to Lil Ol Retirees and then blowing them away.

Becks
11-27-2011, 07:03 PM
Outside of that, i always tell people it could be worse, you could have to deal with the NJ DMV, half hour wait to get forms, half hour to drop them, 6 or so hours for them to process it.

Don't forget about the 6 points of ID, make sure you have the 6 and extra, just in case, and they decided you brought the wrong stuff.

Not that I have any experience with that. :rolleyes:

Jay 2K Winger
11-27-2011, 09:05 PM

Yes. Because the registration (and thus, the plates) was in my parents' name. When the car title transferred to me, I had to register it under my name. New registration, new plates.

fireheart
11-27-2011, 09:38 PM
Yes. Because the registration (and thus, the plates) was in my parents' name. When the car title transferred to me, I had to register it under my name. New registration, new plates.

Ah forgive me, I was slightly confused there. Plates here are linked with a car's VIN (the number on your engine) which is MEANT to help with car theft. So when you transfer a car over, both plates and car come with you.

Cia
11-29-2011, 07:05 AM
SD law changed at the beginning of the year and now instead of the plates staying with the car upon sale/transfer, the plates now stay with the original registrant and can be transfered to another car as long as the tags are current.

You went to the DMV to transfer title and get new plates? The County Courthouse handles that stuff here.

BeenThereDoneThat
11-29-2011, 07:47 AM
In Florida you have to get new plates every 5 years if you have the regular kind...of course we probably have more specialty plates than any other state I've ever seen, and I don't think the people who pay extra for those have to change them. We also get stickers to put on the plates every year or two (we can pay for 2 years at a time now)...they contain the month and year of expiration, which is the owner's month of birth, and the car's VIN.

protege
11-29-2011, 07:34 PM
Just be glad your car doesn't use Whitworth tools - though if it did, you would probably have got a set long before now.

...and you'd be in for a case of sticker shock. Those tools aren't cheap--an 11-piece set from Moss (http://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=31567) lists at roughly $320 :eek: So I'm glad that there aren't Whitworth bolts on my MG, since my Craftsman tools work quite nicely ;)

Seriously though, I have to have both metric and imperial wrenches in the garage. Japanese cars are metric :p

Pagan
11-30-2011, 01:43 AM
Used to be common that you got new plates (and numbers) every year. Utah did that through 1972.

I think it was around the same time that New Mexico quit issuing new plates every damn year, too.

You went to the DMV to transfer title and get new plates? The County Courthouse handles that stuff here.

Do that all through the MVD in New Mexico, too. And Texas.

emax4
11-30-2011, 02:40 AM
I'm sorry to hear you had to go through that, although I kept laughing when you got to having to saw off the bolts. I was imagining the sun setting, getting dark, and all you heard was the "RRREEEErrrr RRREEEErrrr RREEEErrrr" of the hand saw.. :D

fireheart
11-30-2011, 07:03 AM
SD law changed at the beginning of the year and now instead of the plates staying with the car upon sale/transfer, the plates now stay with the original registrant and can be transfered to another car as long as the tags are current.

Ah thank you, I forgot about something there.

If someone needs new plates for their car down here for several reasons, they can pay a fee with the DMV here and the VIN (and thus the registration) is transferred over. (Depending on the plate in question, it's either a once-off to change it over, or you pay extra PER YEAR for that plate) Aside from your standard reasons for changing your plate (buying one at auction or buying a customised plate etc.), one of my friends was forced to change her plates around because her ex kept stalking her :eek:. She received a new set of standard licence plates for $20.

Jay 2K Winger
11-30-2011, 04:59 PM
I'm sorry to hear you had to go through that, although I kept laughing when you got to having to saw off the bolts. I was imagining the sun setting, getting dark, and all you heard was the "RRREEEErrrr RRREEEErrrr RREEEErrrr" of the hand saw.. :D

Now now. Saws don't go "RRREEEErrrr." They go "Zwoobah."

[Cookies for reference.]

dalesys
12-01-2011, 01:45 AM

[Cookies for reference.]
How long can you tread water?:D

emax4
12-01-2011, 11:03 PM

[Cookies for reference.]

I'm thinking Family Guy with the toy where you aimed the arrow at the animal, pulled the string, but in the show they mix up the sounds.

"The cow says, Sha ZOOOOOOM..."

How close am I?

Jay 2K Winger
12-02-2011, 03:10 AM
I'm thinking Family Guy with the toy where you aimed the arrow at the animal, pulled the string, but in the show they mix up the sounds.

"The cow says, Sha ZOOOOOOM..."

How close am I?

Not very.

Dalesys is right on the money, since he returned fire with a quote from the same source (and same routine, too!)

dalesys
12-02-2011, 03:16 AM
... you let me go out there and bring in a pregnant elephant, you give me no manual for delivery or nothin', never told me the thing was pregnant...

Jay 2K Winger
12-02-2011, 03:18 AM
You gotta take one of those hippos out and bring in another one.

dalesys
12-02-2011, 03:25 AM
Some Ph.D. dissertations are such fun to quote.:p

wolfie
12-03-2011, 05:06 PM
DO NOT take your vehicle to Iffy Lube. Yes I call it Iffy and for a very good reason. They are the 9th circle of hell in the auto industry. They do not hire qualified techs. They hire talking chimps for minimum wage.

You're treading on dangerous ground. Chimps are MUCH stronger than humans - think of what they'd do to you if they found out you'd insulted them by implying they'd work for a place like Iffy Lube.:eek:

It gets even more complicated for commercial vehicles. The plates go with the operating authority, so if an owner-operator changes companies (same name on the title, but different operating authority) the old plates have to be returned to the old company (who returns them to the DMV) and the new company gets new plates.

Sapphire Silk
12-04-2011, 04:38 PM

In the US it does.

It depends on the state. In Delaware, the plate is actually owned by the plate holder and can even be sold. Low number plates have prestige and can command top dollar. (I know; stupid. Not something I'd spend my hard earned cash on).

When I bought my Jeep in California, the plates came with the car. I'm getting ready to sell it in North Carolina, and I think the plates will go with the car.

Maryland, you got new plates when you bought a used car.

In most states, you do everything at the DMV.

In North Carolina, you go to a state run office (DMV) to handle things in regards to your license. You go to a privately run office for title and tag work.

In my area, several of these offices have been shut down because the owners were running scams on the state. The state is currently advertising for new management instead of just repealing that rule and running the show themselves :rolleyes:

On another note, I can sympathize with the OP's travails. When my Dad passed 3 years ago, Mom opted not to sell the car right away (she doesn't drive and never has, is scared to death to). A year later, she asked for my help in selling the car as she'd decided she needed the space in the garage. I told her the car was worth about 14K Blue Book, but we'd be lucky to get 10K for it from a dealer unless we went Carmax or private sale, and that getting close to Blue Book was possible but would take a lot of time and negotiation. She said that 10K would be acceptable and wanted that price, no less. I was planning a visit to Maryland, and told her I'd take the car to Carmax when I got up there and see if they'd give us that much.

My hospice and teacher friend J. overheard the conversation on the phone and immediately offered 10K for the car, sight unseen (it was a 2006 Toyota Camry LX, all the bells and whistles but had been in one minor fender bender). I called Mom back and she was fine with the offer. Called Brother too and got his input, he also gave thumbs up.

That's when the hell really started. I drove up to Maryland. Mom had lost the title. Wasn't in the safe deposit box. Couldn't find it in the house. Had to go to the DMV and order a new one. Drove the car back to North Carolina so J's bank could inspect it and approve a loan. That took awhile. Finally got the loan paperwork done; DMV wouldn't title the car in North Carolina without a bill of sale and notorized paperwork on the odometer. Maryland said that wasn't necessary. I couldn't simply sign the title over since my name wasn't on it. Bank wouldn't issue a check without a clear title.

Argh!

J and I went up to North Carolina to get my car. We tried getting the bill of sale and the notorized paperwork. North Carolina still refused to accept it; can't remember the exact issue, something to do with insurance I think (though the car was insured, just not in North Carolina). So I made a THIRD trip to Maryland and just had Mom gift the car to me so I could get a Maryland title in my name, got it insured in my name, went BACK to North Carolina, registered it in my name and THEN was finally able to show a good title to the bank, get the check and sign the car over.

It took two months to get through this process. :(

I will never buy or sell a car across state lines again. :mad:

At least Mom got the price she wanted. /threadjack

BeenThereDoneThat
12-04-2011, 11:21 PM
In Florida the Driver's License office is separate from the place where you get your motor vehicle registrations done. Also, while most of us have to get new plates every 5 years, we don't have to turn in the old ones...though it might be a good idea so nobody can steal your old plates and get you in trouble.

Sonoma
12-05-2011, 06:29 AM
I got to renew my truck's registration this weekend. The one place where I'm very happy to part with $107. In Oregon, the plates stay with the car. I live in the Portland area, and we have emissions testing to go through, so I just wen to our local test station, had the test done (and it passed - Hooray!). 10 years old, 116k miles, maintenance overdue...I was very happy for that passing test.

When you pass the emissions test, you get the 2 year renewal stickers right then & there.