PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Dinner

Food Lady
12-10-2011, 07:01 AM
My family isn't at all consistent about any kind of holiday tradition, so I am curious about your traditions. For those of you who are consistent in what you serve, what exactly do you serve? Do you have turkey dinner deja vu? Do you have ham or pork roast or game hens or Beef Wellington or roast beast? What do you have on the side? Do you drink? Is it wine or cocktails at your house, or both? What's for dessert? Come on now, describe the feast!

Seshat
12-10-2011, 07:33 AM
I don't have a tradition anymore, but I can tell you about my family's traditions when I was a kid.
Important note: we're Australian. Christmas is HOT, midsummer hot. Noone wants a heavy winter meal.

We'd go to my Nan's place, and make up this great buffet meal.
Plates of cold turkey slices, ham, roast beef, chicken, all arranged nicely, perhaps with a small bowl with relish or horseradish in the middle.
A basket with bread rolls of various sorts.
Salads. Green salad (lettuce, tomato, carrot, cucumber, a vinegar/oil dressing). Potato salad. Pasta salad. Every family had one or two signature salads.
My mother got this book of salads one year, and after that there was always at least one completely new salad from the book, at the Christmas table.
Maybe one roast, but usually all the meats were cold. If fresh-roasted by us, it would have been done on Christmas Eve (or even the day before), usually at night so the kitchen wasn't miserably hot.
Gravies and relishes and dressings and little bowls of nuts and other condiments and accessories were also available.

Then the savoury stuff would be cleared away (and my Dad would chivvy one or two of the kids to help him rinse dishes while the rest of us kids would be bringing out the sweets).

Cakes and trifles and home made biscuits and rum balls and home-made sweets and slices. It varied every year, except that either Auntie Julie or Mum always made rum balls. (No cooking needed, easy, and very popular with the adults.)

And there was always a Christmas Pudding, complete with ritual. We'd sit down together for that, around the table no matter how hard it was to squeeze everyone in, even if some were standing 'around the table'. And eat a slice of pudding, with custard. And someone would get the coin. Usually one of the children, inevitably one who didn't get it last year.

Present time was often after the big meal, to delay us kids from wanting to run straight to the canal and go swimming. (Nan lived on a canal estate: when my Granddad divorced her, he built her home for her. The site was one of his developments. I used to go yabbying at what's now the Gold Coast Arts Centre.)

Kiwi
12-10-2011, 07:51 AM
We do christmas on a 3 year rotation
1 year bf's family
1 year my family
1 year blissfully alone!

The BF's family year I usually do a small ham and cranberry sauce to take to his perants house (his mom does a turkey) and they do a Danish christmas. Kreena, komafect (butchering the spelling) red cabbage, rice pudding with almonds then turkey, gravy, mashed potato, candied yams, dry bread stuffing and brussel sprouts. They also do a prime rib for New Years

My family usually go to a resturant thank god.

I make a ginger ham, gravy, cranberry sauce, roasted carrots and potatos, asparagus, candied yams, and pavlova for dessert.

AccountingDrone
12-10-2011, 01:59 PM
We vary it. Back when my Mom was still able to cook it tended to be either the classic turkey dinner or the classic ham dinner. About 15 years ago Rob and I took over the cooking, though dinner is always at my parents house. They have a nice kitchen setup =)

We have been rotating the menu, ranging from the classic ham or turkey, one year we did a crown roast of lamb, classic Dickens goose dinner, we did an Easter-like roast leg of lamb, this year is guinea fowl with wild rice, the variety is nice =)

Rob and I are early risers, so we make the mise en place for breakfast omelets by dicing ham, onions, tomatoes, precooked potato, shredding cheddar and swiss and getting a loaf of sweetbread, a loaf of potato bread and some cinnamon buns in the oven. We tend to then get a batch of onions going for french onion soup for a lunch buffet that adds a couple pounds of chilled shrimp with cocktail sauce, a couple different loaves of bread, a large plate of cut veggies, one of cut fruit, and one of cheese and meat slices that is set up for random grazing and visits from people. We make a half gallon of glogg, and a wine punch, and have assorted cans of soda and a couple different juices ready as well. Formal dinner is actually on table fairly late for the US, around 9 at night.

The scheduling and way we sort of stretch the eating of the day out is a reflection of when I still lived in area, and Danny had a wife and an ex wife, and 2 sets of kids, and I had a BF, so we were balancing visiting and visits from a bunch of different family units. We did some presents the night before, and some the morning of, and there was always gifting going on most of the day with various people dropping in.

ngc_7331
12-10-2011, 02:35 PM
For my family, Christmas won't come until January. Mom's a truck driver and my little bro's back home in Maryland and since it's wicked expensive to fly around Christmas (not to mention he works in retail so the odds of him getting the week off are about nil), we wait until things quiet down to celebrate.

Since I'm in central Florida and it's usually pretty warm in January, our Christmas lunch/dinner is a big old cookout. Burgers, steak, chicken, hot dogs, whatever we want. Mom's driving partner will cook on the grill and me and mom will do all the side dishes, veggies, fries/baked potatoes, and dessert. My Christmas Day will be spent at a friend's parent's house, who invite me over for just about every holiday and lasagna night, feasting hopefully on her dad's deep fried turkey, followed by a train trip out to Tampa to spend the rest of the holiday with another friend's family. It's nice to be loved by so many awesome people. :D

Sarlon
12-10-2011, 02:37 PM
winters in florida weren't really cold but sometimes we went to my grandparents house in Maine.

Up at the crack of dawn to open presents, then left to our own devices till about 2 when we'd have prime rib, green bean cassarole, waldorf salad, 5 cup salad, and rolls.

if we were hungry later then was left overs but dinner tended to be a lighter fare.

dragon_wings
12-10-2011, 03:16 PM
For Christmas at my house when growing up we'd have the traditionally ham or turkey (don't remember which at the moment) on Christmas Eve before going to church. Then on Christmas morning my mom would pop some cinnamon rolls and/or pigs in a blanket in the oven for breakfast. Lunch would be leftovers and for dinner my mom would make her homemade pizza. Her reasoning was she didn't wanna slave away in the kitchen on Christmas Day so the easy stuff was made that day and big meal was made and consumed on Christmas Eve.

Food Lady
12-10-2011, 08:03 PM
For those who do ham: do you have the same sides as for a turkey dinner? I'm reading on blogs about pigs in blankets. I never knew that was a Christmas thing. I don't think I've ever had it.

dragon_wings
12-10-2011, 08:13 PM
Yeah, we had the same sides.
As to the pigs in blankets my mom used to always get one specific brand of yummy rolls that did yeast rolls, cinnamon rolls, and the pigs in a blanket. (asking my mom cause I can't remember... I'll post when she texts back) It was an easy and yummy breakfast for Christmas mornings.

ETA: the brand of rolls is Sister Schuberts. yummy.

firecat88
12-10-2011, 08:30 PM
Christmas at my house always means one thing: Hallacas!!!!!! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hallaca) :D This year, it's *my* turn to help make 'em, which I've never really done before, so I'm kinda excited. Aside from that, we usually just do a smaller version of Thanksgiving dinner.

NorthernZel
12-10-2011, 08:56 PM
In our family we always have duck roast and pork crackling, with boiled potatoes and caramel potatoes on the side. The adults have a bottle of wine, the kids usually get a dark, non-alcoholic malt beer called "Elf Beer". (Though Lil Zel doesn't like carbonated drinks, so he gets either milk or juice)

For dessert, we get a dish called "Rice A La Mande", which basically is a cold rice porridge mixed with whipped cream, vanilla, chopped almonds and served with a hot cherry sauce.
There is a game involved: A whole almond is usually mixed in the bowl, and the one that gets the almond wins a small prize/gift. Kinda like the "penny in the pudding" game known in the UK.

FormerCallingCardRep
12-10-2011, 10:13 PM
Our big tradition is Christmas Breakfast.

I make pancakes, sausage, bacon, eggs, biscuits, home made sausage gravy and french toast. We have this with orange juice, chocolate milk and hot tea.

We eat breakfast before we open presents.

MoonCat
12-11-2011, 12:03 AM
When we were kids, we would have ham for Christmas dinner. Don't really remember the sides, probably mashed potatoes and corn or other veggies. We had to eat early because in the afternoon we would go over to my grandparents' house (my father's parents) and eat again over there. There were always Christmas cookies for dessert. My aunt still likes to tell about the Christmas when she & grandma spent all day baking over a dozen different varieties of cookies.

Now we just pick something we really like. Sometimes it's ham, sometimes it's strip steaks. With meat, we serve roasted veggies and mashed, scalloped or au gratin potatoes. Other times, we made a big pan of lasagna. We don't always make cookies anymore, but sometimes my sister and I will make a Yule log cake.

We bake a chocolate cake in a pan that's shaped like a log sliced lengthwise, frost it in chocolate frosting, and then I make it look like bark by running a fork in wavy lines over the frosting. I sprinkle powdered sugar over it to look like snow. We put a row of candles on the cake, and decorate it with real holly leaves, or with candy leaves & berries.

BookstoreEscapee
12-11-2011, 12:08 AM
We have breakfast at my parents' house...pancakes or homemade waffles, bacon, eggs if anyone wants them, cinnamon rolls. Then we do presents.

Dinner used to rotate more, but the last several years at least it's been at my uncle's house. Always turkey and all the trimmings.

fireheart
12-11-2011, 02:30 AM
One tradition my family does is Christmas Ham. We usually do cold meats for lunch, although on occasion we'll have hot meat as well.

The last time my family did Christmas at my house (we usually alternate between either our place, my distant aunt's place, my close aunt's place or my grandparents and since I started dating my boyfriend, I've done Christmas with HIS family), we did cold ham, turkey, lamb, beef and I think chicken. At the time, we'd just picked up our cat from the breeder (he was around 10 weeks on Christmas) and he was mewing at mum's feet for food. So she gave him a little bit of each of the meats on the table and put it on the floor for him to munch on. :lol:

Dave1982
12-11-2011, 03:57 AM
When I was little we used to do turkey deja-vu on Christmas at my grandmothers house (this being at a time when all three Big Ones - Thanksgiving, Christmas, AND Easter - were at her house). But for a long time now we've done ham, and usually my mother will make a jumbo sized batch of scalloped potatoes to go with it. I think once or twice we might've done a smaller ham and also had a pan of glazed chicken breasts.

If my mother is not working, she sometimes makes a big chicken dinner on the flip side of Christmas (that is, Christmas Eve if we go to my grandmother's on Christmas Day) but not always.

To tell the truth, I miss turkey deja-vu. I have nothing against ham, but I like turkey dinner better.

Easter though, is a whole 'nother ball of wax that I don't want to get into right now. :rant:

1756GR2
12-11-2011, 04:42 AM
Big ole ham with brown sugar and pineapple rings baked on it or cloves stuck into the scoring, baked dried corn, candied sweet potatoes, green beans (sometimes the casseroled green beans), two kinds of cranberry sauce (cranberries, sugar and ground whole oranges for the purists, canned cranberry sauce for the others), white potatoes in addition when someone was coming that didn't like sweet potatoes. For dessert there were pumpkin pies, mince meat pies, and a milk pie made with the leftover crust, and heaven - diced marshmallows (not the small ones, they don't work) soaked overnight in crushed pineapple and its unsweetened juice, then real home-made whipped cream folded in at the last minute. My niece always got confused when she was little and called the heaven "god." And snickerdoodles. We always made those Christmas Eve, enough for everyone to take home several dozen. The house smelled wonderful!

Cazzi
12-11-2011, 11:52 AM
Although there's normally only 4 of us for Christmas dinner, my 2 big kids have such conflicting tastes we usually end up with a red meat & a bird! My daughter will only eat chicken & rarely turkey and my son much prefers his beef. Mum & I will eat anything really ;)

This year we're having a capon and a piece of ribeye. probably with the UK version of pigs in blankets (sausages wrapped in streaky bacon), roast baby new potatoes, mashed potatoes, honey glazed parsnips & carrots. Mum will probably bring her own Brussels sprouts as I can't stand those :puke:

This year for a starter I have some smoked venison.. last year I made Gravlax.. we were still eating that New Years eve!

For dessert, half the family will go for cheesecake or fudge cake. Mum and I will be traditional & have Christmas pudding (gluten free) but instead of brandy sauce, I've found some very yummy looking fig and date brandy cream :D

In the evening, if anyones still hungry, it'll be cold meat, nibbles & salad. I picked up a nice big bit of gammon the other day from a meat market about 30 miles from home and was thinking of baking that with a honey mustard glaze, but after seeing...

Big ole ham with brown sugar and pineapple rings baked on it

I'm very tempted :D

After all that, I don't tend to live on leftovers for a week though, there's usually a fair bit of meat left, so it all gets sliced, portioned & frozen ready for meals in the new year!

AccountingDrone
12-11-2011, 02:20 PM
Big ole ham with brown sugar and pineapple rings baked on it or cloves stuck into the scoring, baked dried corn, candied sweet potatoes, green beans (sometimes the casseroled green beans), two kinds of cranberry sauce (cranberries, sugar and ground whole oranges for the purists, canned cranberry sauce for the others), white potatoes in addition when someone was coming that didn't like sweet potatoes. For dessert there were pumpkin pies, mince meat pies, and a milk pie made with the leftover crust, and heaven - diced marshmallows (not the small ones, they don't work) soaked overnight in crushed pineapple and its unsweetened juice, then real home-made whipped cream folded in at the last minute. My niece always got confused when she was little and called the heaven "god." And snickerdoodles. We always made those Christmas Eve, enough for everyone to take home several dozen. The house smelled wonderful!

My pancreas is now hiding under the blankets whimpering ....

Mikkel
12-11-2011, 04:39 PM
duck roast and pork crackling, with boiled potatoes and caramel potatoes on the side.
For dessert, we get a dish called "Rice A La Mande",

We eat exactly the same, the only difference is that everybody drink beer, adults alcoholic and children non-alcoholic. A typical Danish Christmas dinner. :D

Bionic Hobbit
12-11-2011, 05:23 PM
This is my first post to CustomersSuck and I decided to add to the Xmas dinner list. My mother started our traditional meal and I continue it since she passed on.

Turkey with home made stuffing
Gravy made from pan drippings
Mashed potatoes
Peas
Rutabagas (yellow turnips) - strong flavor but goes good with turkey
Jellied salad - lemon & lime gellatin, green onions, radishes, celery, peas, shredded carrots and pineapple
And due to the scottish lieage of the family, Haggis! (I know ugh but it is in my blood. Great with gravy)

And finally a Dicken's English Christmas pudding doused with scotch serverd flambeau and brandy sauce.

I have since added Green Bean Casserole

It isn't Christmas to me without at least some of this to feast upon.

RecoveringKinkoid
12-11-2011, 08:37 PM
First off, Welcome to Bionic Hobbit. Glad to have you join us!

Usually

First Round
Antipasto
Stuffed Mushrooms

Second Round
Mannicotti

Third Round (some combo of:)
Some pairing of Prime Rib, Turkey, or Ham.
Sauteed mushrooms
Collard Greens
Cranberry relish
Mac and Cheese
Sweet potatoes

Followed by
Cheese and Fruit and Nuts
Cheesecake
Pecan Pie
Cannoli
Biscotti
Tiramisu
whatever else someone felt like making

We don't play around

AnaKhouri
12-11-2011, 09:08 PM
Daaaaaamn you guys are cooking overachievers.

When I was a kid we always went to my mom's family's shindig, so there was a giant potluck of all sorts of fattening Irish-German fare.

My husband's family always has an Xmas Eve dinner consisting of shrimp, sausage balls, salsa and chips, a cheese log, and a few other odds and ends. They always eat a huge lunch at his grandma's house (family potluck) so Xmas Day is usually frozen pizza and leftovers.

So yeah, we're a bit all over the place, but never anything fancy.

Elspeth
12-11-2011, 09:27 PM
we used to do the turkey dinner but it would take forever so we just started to eat all day. My mom and i just make a bunch of different things.

I am bringing irish stew this year. Rosettes (need to test them with beer) and I am not allowed in the house if i don't have the fudge or my cauliflower with a mayo/mustard sauce cover in cheese.

there will be a ham, cuban sandwichs, couple of soups.

There are more food then people :D

RecoveringKinkoid
12-11-2011, 09:28 PM
Yeah, well, we all like to cook and we're all good at it.

Even the men.

So we always have this bizarre Tennessee Williams fusion of Italian-American and Southern country fare. :lol: It's awesome.

dragon_wings
12-11-2011, 09:47 PM
Hey Kink, I wanna eat with y'all. :lol:

dalesys
12-11-2011, 10:35 PM
Parsnips!:potstir: Orcseses carrots! We hateses them!

Brussel Sprouts: All the vileness of a whole cabbage in one concentrated morsel!

Excuse me, I need to put my inner child to sleep...:wave:

Bardmaiden
12-11-2011, 10:42 PM
We go to our mums and have dinner there, her hubby is a very good cook but we do not have the traditional turkey as my mum is very allergic to it. So we have chicken, roast taters, carrots, peas, pigs in blankets, Yorkshire puddings (not mum though so can't eat wheat either :cry:) and whatever else they decide to serve :D

Mishi
12-11-2011, 11:53 PM
We have a Danish Christmas dinner at my aunt's place on Christmas Eve and Rugz still won't eat the Rice A La Mande. Everyone adores it, and he's the odd one out. Christmas lunch is at his Nan's place and is the Aussie-style luncheon with salads (including that ghastly grape salad), cold meats, pavlova, cake, many chocolates and a goodly amount of wine plus a nod to the Dutch side of the family with the addition of a platter of Rollmops *shudders*
Boxing Day is at our place, and we have all our friends drop in whenever they get there and for as long as they like. We have a BBQ for lunch, even more junk food and either takeaway or leftovers for dinner if anyone's still hungry. Of course, I still make a light dinner for our girls and any extra munchkins... our two actually like brussel sprouts! :lol:

HappyFun Ball
12-11-2011, 11:56 PM
We do ham on Christmas.. Still have cornbread dressing though.

SuperRTL
12-12-2011, 12:35 AM
We don't do dinner, we do breakfast. Breakfast consists of caramel rolls, eggs, bacon, sausage and eggnog french toast.

taxguykarl
12-12-2011, 07:53 PM
My mom makes a stollen (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stollen).

This year we're doing an appetizer buffet: clementines, my wife's comically simple meatballs, dumplings, various pickled veggies, and whatever other goodies catch our fancy.

Next year, we'll be traveling. Surely the lodging or resort will be serving something special.;)

42_42_42
12-13-2011, 10:10 PM
Every other year we drive up to my parents' home on Christmas day. The other year we drive home from my parents' either on the 23rd or 24th. Our Christmas dinner always varies. My mom usually does ham, but not always. We like to try new things, especially as it's often just the 2 of us when we're home on Christmas day. Our tradition has become Christmas breakfast of bagels with lox and cream cheese.

Treasure
12-13-2011, 10:30 PM
In years past our feast looked something like this(not sure how it will go this year, it depends on how many we have):

mincemeat cookies
pumpkin pie(s)
pecan pie(s)
chocolate italian cream cake
fudge - sometimes it gets saved for new years
1 - 3 other candies / cookies

Fruit salad - apples, oranges, tangerines, pineapple chunks (in juice - saved) cherries (save juice) mini marshmellows, whipped cream, coconut

holiday punch - the pineapple and cherry juices, mixed with 7up (not sprite!)

ham - with pineapple rings, cherries and cloves
also a maple syrup/cherry juice glaze on the side

turkey

cornbread dressing
oyster dressing
greenbean casserole
broccoli -and-cheese
mashed potatoes (real)
baked sweet potatoes
gibblet gravy
2 kinds of cranberry sauce - canned, and fresh/whole
bread - usually homemade rolls

I feel like I'm forgetting something.... but can't figure out what...

Food Lady
12-19-2011, 06:32 AM
You're forgetting to invite me.

SongsOfDragons
12-19-2011, 01:52 PM
Since our Christmas is inevitably me, my mum and my dad, we get a bronze turkey crown and eat that, using the leftovers for the obligatory Boxing Day fry-up. Roast potatoes and Yorkshire puds always. Turkey is sometimes dry, and sometimes I wish for a different meat; I'd love to have a duck or a goose, or one of those four-bird roasts, yummy!!

Every year my mum threatens to make only turkey and chips next year. XD Being the dutiful daughter I offer to help (especially in recent years when I've been more mature than before) but will always get waved down.

We don't do Christmas pud, though my dad will have one of the individual ones.

Yeah our tradition is kind of boring. Oh well. Still edible and I'm with my parents. ^^

thansal
12-19-2011, 07:00 PM
I have a few different traditions (like many here).

The one I grew up with was basically Thanksgiving Mark 2, possibly something else as the protein, depending on what mum decided to cook.

My current Christmas celebration has 3 distinct parts (and I'll toss in a 4th).

Christmas eve is spent with my dad and his wife's family. She is Ukrainian, so it's a traditional (sorta) Ukrainian xmass dinner of 13 (I think) courses.
Ushka (little mushroom dumplings) in Borsht
Varenyky, the Ukrainian version of Perogies (a cabbage one and a potato one)
Stuffed Cabage w/ mushroom gravy
Fried Fish (what type? It varies)
3+ types of herring (generally from Russ and Daughters), pickled, mustard, and cream are the ones I can think of.
Kutia, boiled wheat grains with poppy seeds, honey, raisins, and walnuts. (I love it)

Dessert is then all over the place. My step sister's birthday is the day before, so her cake often serves double duty as part of dessert. I supply some of our (my GF and my) cookies, and everything else.

The real important meal for us growing up was actually breakfast, which was generally something fancyish that my mum made, though as of late it has always been Crepes with whatever fillings we want (generally a nice fruit salad of some sort).

XMass dinner is at my GF's family, where we have
Kasseler Rippchen from Schaller & Weber (Excellent German butcher in NYC), which is a smoked and cooked pork loin. Really something fabulous.
Split Pea Stew, good Bavarian (of which her mum is) split pea stew, thick as a brick, 2 or 3 types of pork products in it, and wonderful, one of my favorite things of all time.
And a few other wonderful things, all varying around.

The 4th meal, one that I never get to participate in, is Xmass eve at my GF's family, where they have:
Bread, Butter, and the best cold cuts from Schaller & Weber. IT's really somethign wonderful (I always get a bit to have at home, as they know how much I love them). Westphalian Ham, Bauernschinken, Kinder Wurst (properly Gelbwurst, it's what bologna SHOULD be), and probably one or 2 more that I can't think of.
And then cookies, about 5 or 6 different types that have been in her family for ages.

umm, yah....

Tis the season to be eating.

Food Lady
12-25-2011, 04:26 AM
I do have a Christmas Eve tradition: sharp cheddar, crackers, summer sausage (now substituted with some kind of meat analog and a garlicky dip), red wine, and cookies. This year I'm out of cookies, but I have peppermint ice cream. I think I'll have antacids later.

fireheart
12-25-2011, 01:17 PM
This was the Christmas day lunch this year:

-Ham
-Turkey
-Lamb
-Peas (when my eldest cousin dropped around, she kept commenting that the bowl that was being used for the peas used to be used for sago when we were kids. So henceforth it was known as the Sago Bowl)
-Beans
-Sweet potato.
-Roasted Potato.
-Cranberry Sauce and Gravy.

Apart from the cranberry sauce and gravy, all of this was either cooked or carved by the family. Given that my mum contributed the ham, we're having ham for the next few days. :lol: We also had the usual horde of sweets in the centre, with rum balls and choccie truffles made by my cousin. She also hand-made bonbons (which each had a wine glass identifier, a candy cane, a joke and some trivia)

My boyfriend's nan and pops last year did cold cuts a la supermarket platter, however she did a little game: whoever had a sticker on their bread plate won a prize. My boyfriend won and he received a MASSIVE nut basket. :lol:

PhiSigGirl1988
12-25-2011, 06:24 PM
We have a couple of traditions. There's a candlelight service at our church that starts at 11pm on Christmas Eve and goes til midnight, so my grandma has people over before the service for snacks and social time. Then there's dinner on Christmas day, which is either at my grandma's or at my aunt and uncle's. There also used to be Christmas brunch at my grandma's house, but we stopped that a few years ago because it was getting to be too much.

Anyway, Christmas Eve:
-Meatballs cooked in cranberry jelly and chili sauce (normally grape jelly, but my grandma tried something new this year)
-Lil smokies cooked in barbeque sauce
-Vegetable pizza
-Spinach dip and Hawaiian sweet bread
-Chips and dip
-Assortment of cheeses and sausage and sweets from Swiss Colony (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss_Colony)
-Pumpkin roll (http://hopeseguin2010.wordpress.com/2010/11/27/pumpkin-roll/) (my aunt is amazing at making it)
-Pumpkin pie or pumpkin cheesecake

Christmas Day dinner:
-Ham
-Turkey
-Stuffing
-Relish tray (sweet pickles, dill pickles, black olives, green olives [ick])
-Vegetable tray (carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, tomatoes)
-Fruit tray (strawberries, grapes, pineapple)
-Sweet potatoes
-More pumpkin roll
-More pumpkin pie
-Weight Watcher dessert that my mom makes (there's a few that she goes between...this year it's Jell-O cheesecake pudding mixed with fat free cream cheese and combined with sugar free lemon pound cake and fresh berries [strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries)

There's probably more that I'm missing, but I guess I'll find out in a few hours.

Irving Patrick Freleigh
12-26-2011, 12:44 AM
We did steaks and chicken breast on the grill this year. Mmmmmm.

FormerCallingCardRep
12-26-2011, 02:45 PM
Our Christmas dinner this year was Roast Beef, Potatoes, Carrots, Green Beans and Rolls. There would have been pies, but Oldest was to bring them over and she ended up in the ER with Bug having a temperature over 104

dragon_wings
12-26-2011, 06:45 PM
Our Christmas dinner this year was Roast Beef, Potatoes, Carrots, Green Beans and Rolls. There would have been pies, but Oldest was to bring them over and she ended up in the ER with Bug having a temperature over 104

:eek: Is Bug doing better? :hug:

FormerCallingCardRep
12-26-2011, 07:04 PM
They found no elevated white cells and no sign of infection. They broke the temperature and he has been fine ever since. No idea why he spiked it though.

Oldest said he will not go to bed without taking his train that I got him for Christmas with him.

dragon_wings
12-26-2011, 07:08 PM
Aww. So cute. Glad he's doing better.

fireheart
12-27-2011, 12:01 AM
Being sick on CHristmas is no fun. It's worse if you have gastro on Christmas Day....a few years back, could NOT eat a single thing Christmas Day. I spent most of it in my grandparent's spare bedroom with a bucket by my bed.

FormerCallingCardRep
12-27-2011, 12:17 AM
I went over a little bit ago to pick up my clothes basket and he made me stay and play with his train for a little bit

DGoddessChardonnay
12-27-2011, 01:18 AM
Hey Kink, I wanna eat with y'all. :lol:

Me too. See ya next year.:lol:

We did something different at Dad's this year. Because of my stepmom being tied up taking care of both her parents and not having time and/or energy, we did Pizza Hut this past Friday.

We also had:

salad
Reebee's sausage dip (made with crumbled sausage, cream cheese and Rotel - nom nom)

Beer (for the adults, of course. Daddy was well prepared.;))

tortillas
assorted cookies
pecan pie (which Mom had made that morning)
chocolate cake

At my house yesterday, Mom and I did the following:

Spiral-sliced ham
potato salad
green beans w/white corn
croissants

for dessert:

pumpkin bread
pecan pie
banana pudding

Next year, we're thinking about doing something different and may get a lasagna from Olive Garden for Thanksgiving.

Might order one for New Year's, but we'll see what's going on closer to the end of the week.;)

MoonCat
12-28-2011, 10:59 PM
Hmm. Missed this thread. We had glazed ham, parsley potatoes and baby Brussels sprouts. Dessert was a Boston cream pie and damn, that thing was hard to cut! It kept sliding all over the plate! :lol:

Didn't do much in the cookie dept. this year. Just star-shaped sugar cookies which we ate without frosting them :) but we also had some homemade chocolate walnut bark and peppermint bark. Totally forgot about the bottle of cranberry wine so we're saving it for New Year's Eve.

telecom_goddess
12-29-2011, 04:50 PM
Let's see....I made 6 cornish game hens, stuffing (each one stuffed individually), mashed potatoes, stuffed provincial eggplant, along with salad and rolls.

Pretty damn tasty if I say so myself :)

Kanalah
12-30-2011, 03:54 PM
My side of the family usually does a brunch. So we have:

Sausage and egg souffle
Cinnamon rolls with walnuts and caramel
Fruit salad

Usually someone will say that they're hosting christmas dinner and then cancel at the last minute. So then we have to scramble to find something at the last minute. My daughter's frist Christmas dinner was at Hooters. :lol:

My in-laws usual dinner is:
Italian wedding soup
Fresh garlic bread
Homemade lasagna
Pasta with homemade sauce, meatballs and sausage
Apple and pumpkin pie

Yeah it's yummy. :)

MoonCat
12-30-2011, 11:26 PM
My side of the family usually does a brunch. So we have:
My in-laws usual dinner is:
Italian wedding soup
Fresh garlic bread
Homemade lasagna
Pasta with homemade sauce, meatballs and sausage
Apple and pumpkin pieYeah it's yummy. :)

Oh god I want that!:D