PDA

View Full Version : What to do with venison?

jedimaster91
12-14-2011, 06:14 PM
A buddy of mine hunts and gave us a crapton of venison. We've got a roast, some steaks, and lots of ground burger meat. I've eaten venison before, but I've never cooked it myself. As I recall, it's leaner than beef, so I wondered if that affects how to cook it. So those of you who eat a lot of game meat, what do you do with it? Any super delicious recipes I should try?

MaggieTheCat
12-14-2011, 06:27 PM
I've never cooked with venison, but I love the stuff. Some friends of mine go hunting every year and get a ton of venison and elk meat, and never eat commercial beef. I had elk straganoff at their house once...it was friggin' amazing. I don't have the recipe, sadly, but it was pretty much like beef straganoff except with elk meat instead of beef.

tropicsgoddess
12-14-2011, 06:29 PM
Make venison jerky or sausage like patties with some peppers, seasoning and have waffles with it! mmmmm! :D

Dave1982
12-14-2011, 06:41 PM
While I have never cooked venison, my understanding is you need to be careful with lean cuts of meat because they cook more quickly and it's easy to over-cook them.

Dreamstalker
12-14-2011, 06:51 PM
If you don't know what to do with it you can always ship some to me :D

I'd try making a stew/chili with it, myself.

Indigo
12-14-2011, 06:56 PM
Venison veggie soup is always my favorite. :D

Venison is leaner than most beef so you need to be careful not to overcook it, but I tend to use it in the recipes that call for beef.

And I'm another person you can send it too - I loooove venison jerky. :D

Bandit
12-14-2011, 08:09 PM
For the ground stuff, mix it about 50/50 with ground pork. That adds enough fat to keep it from getting overcooked.

Venison steaks over a low-heat BBQ are fantastic. :)

B

42_42_42
12-14-2011, 08:20 PM
If you have any cube-steak, venison makes the best country fried steak. We vastly prefer it over beef. I generally just use it as I would super lean beef. You can always mix some bacon drippings (we keep them in a jar in the fridge) or some finely chopped pork fat in with it if you find it too lean.

Buglady
12-14-2011, 08:48 PM
Recipes with wine or beer in them tend to work REALLY well with wild meats. Also tomato sauces - the acid helps to soften some of the tougher fibers in there. Slow cooking is great.

Enjoy! I'm envious... hope my Dad gets a deer soon, I want venison now!

Teysa
12-14-2011, 09:00 PM
*chimes in with the send some to me chorus*

SO says deer meat chili is really good. He also says a roast is good too. His dad used to go deer hunting so he grew up on the stuff. He agreed on the sending us some lol.

ArcticChicken
12-14-2011, 09:34 PM
I've heard good things about venison stew.

Maybe substitute it for the beef in beef burgundy?

Victory Sabre
12-14-2011, 09:40 PM
Yes, it's a very lean meat. The roasts you can put into a crock pot with veggies, and cook it low and slow. The ground, you can make burgers, but as others have said, be careful not to over cook it. You can also use the ground venison in soups, chili, and spaghetti.

Treasure
12-14-2011, 10:23 PM
mmmm venison chili...... mmmmmm :drool: :D

*** hops on the send it to me bandwagon ***

I've heard that for wild game meat, soaking in in Milk about 30 - 90 mins before cooking it helps get rid of that "gamey" taste....

if you go here (http://www.foodnetwork.com) and put Venison in the search bar, it has numerous ideas for you.

also the suggestion of wine or beer in any recipe to help tenderize i fully support! :lol:

drowell
12-15-2011, 03:01 AM
I've never cooked with venison, but I love the stuff. Some friends of mine go hunting every year and get a ton of venison and elk meat, and never eat commercial beef. I had elk straganoff at their house once...it was friggin' amazing. I don't have the recipe, sadly, but it was pretty much like beef straganoff except with elk meat instead of beef.

There are lots of tried and tested recipes for elk and deer here: http://www.elk-hunting-tips.net/elk-recipes.html

Here's a venison stroganoff recipe: http://www.elk-hunting-tips.net/venison-stroganoff-recipe.html

Sapphire Silk
12-15-2011, 03:18 AM
I've had venison, and I like it.

Overcooking it is easy to do, and will ruin it.

By the same token, you mustn't undercook wild venison (farmed venison is OK rare) because of the risk of parasites in the meat.

Cube steak into country fried steak is good. I'll have to try something with tomato sauce; sounds good :D

Barracuda
12-15-2011, 06:34 AM
Grill some, make venison skewers and serve with some fondue. A mixture of provolone, smoked gouda, cheddar, white wine and some butter sauteed garlic makes a wonderful fondue. Maybe toss in some well sauteed onions too, for a little extra flavor.

Crossbow
12-15-2011, 02:50 PM
I've heard good things about venison stew.

Maybe substitute it for the beef in beef burgundy?

Venison burgundy sounds good. Personal favorite is venison stroganoff. Numerous recipes around the net, although none have managed to compare to my friend's mom's version. And I was never able to get that recipe out of her....