PDA

View Full Version : New Year's Plans?

AnaKhouri
12-15-2011, 04:17 AM
So what's everyone doing for New Year's?

Usually we just sit around watching movies and fall asleep at 11. But this year is different!

Husband's newest co-worker has invited us to a NY gathering at his house. It will be early as CW and all the guests have small children.

One guest, The Dutchman (because he is) will be attending with his wife, son and brother-in-law. Apparently, The Dutchman and his BiL are super-competitive cooks. Last time they were together, BiL must have really whipped up something special.

Because this time, The Dutchman is using CW's house (much larger than The Dutchman's apartment) to prepare a TWENTY-ONE COURSE MEAL for everyone. :eek:

Now, The Dutchman is a hell of a cook, but I am not sure even he can pull this off.

Each course will hopefully be just one bite, or else no one will be able to eat to the end!

BeenThereDoneThat
12-15-2011, 05:59 AM
Snort. (Not to make light of your plans...they sound delightful.) I am sure it will be like every other year. Husband is in his mid 40s but acts like a senior citizen and will probably go to bed before midnight. I would dearly love to party the night away but who knows if there will be any opportunity, and I always feel guilty if I go and do stuff without him even if I've given him every chance to either join in or make me a better offer. At least I don't work the next day, so I can get totally shitfaced if I like...

I don't usually make New Year's resolutions either but I think I will have to make one this year. To paraphrase Tracy Chapman's wonderful song "Fast Car"..."(I) gotta make a decision...(I) leave tonight or live and die this way..."

MaggieTheCat
12-15-2011, 06:04 AM
Ikkicon! (http://www.ikkicon.com/) An anime convention in Austin. We've gone to it for the last couple of years, vended at it last year, and are vending at it again this year. I need to get my butt in gear and get some more stuff made for it.

Racket_Man
12-15-2011, 09:04 AM
as per part of my job I will most likely be working. just gotta dodge the drunks on the road near and after midnight.

dragon_wings
12-15-2011, 05:36 PM
I worked thanksgiving and will work Christmas day so I can have both NYE and New Years day off.
I wanna party. :P

Elspeth
12-15-2011, 05:41 PM
probably playing either WoW or Old Republic

and going to bed before midnight

Or mostly likely, moving our office

oooo lead a crazy life here

firecat88
12-15-2011, 06:12 PM
My dad will probably rent a few movies to watch, but he and Mom will inevitably end up falling asleep on the couch and I'll be the only one up at midnight. And I will eat 12 grapes at exactly midnight (Venezuelan tradition).

ShadowBall
12-15-2011, 07:36 PM
If I manage to get a better controller for my Wii, I will probably be playing Smash Bros. Brawl. Or drawing. I've never gone out on New Year's because I've never been allowed to...hell, I can't even see my family.

So gonna be another uneventful January 1st probably spent with a diet pop and the cats. It could be worse, but could be a lot better.

Treasure
12-15-2011, 09:49 PM
mom is hosting a PJ's and Games party - its BYOB and finger foods pot luck

we'll play whatever games we have hidden in the garage, plus whatever anybody gets for christmas, and anything extra that gets brought too...

and it'll go from "whenever" to "whenever" as in, whenever you get there, til whenever you decide to go home or crash in a spare bedroom...

Midnight12
12-15-2011, 10:16 PM
because i am a dork and live with dorks...marathon scrapbooking (I hope) and or marathon gaming until the final hour. then we drink and give an unenthusiastic "yay" as would monty pythons of the holy grail whilst watching channel countdown of choice and then probably pass out and go to bed.
sad i know but considering the bars around here are very crazy, i takes no chances
(crazy as in i can see it from down the road and wish not to be involved)

Mishi
12-15-2011, 11:26 PM
Movies, music, baking and general tidying. It's Bubbles 3rd birthday on the 1st, and I'm looking forward to her being old enough to pick out which birthday cake she wants. :)

Gumby30
12-15-2011, 11:30 PM
We have 6 people and a cat cramming into our 2-bedroom flat for 2 nights. We're planning on booze, games (Wii, Xbox and Munchkin) food, music and bad bad bad movies. Let's put it this way - I have deliberately record Megashark vs Dinocrock.

Yes, yes we're geeks. It's how we roll!

Misanthropical
12-16-2011, 06:38 AM
Mr. Mis and I usually stay home and are hugging and kissing when midnight strikes. This year, Mr. Mis's band want to have a party at one of their homes and want to be playing before and right after midnight. I don't know how I feel about that yet.

Amethyst Hunter
12-16-2011, 09:17 AM
Probably working. *shrug* I'd kind of like to do something, but:

a) I don't know what,
b) I don't have anybody to do it with,
c) I need the money, for obvious reasons, and
d) I don't like going out on the roads that night on account of the increased chances of more drunken idiots driving around then.

Sonoma
12-17-2011, 07:20 AM
We'll probably do dinner, either with the family, or at a more upscale place with just my BFF. If it's the whole family, we'll have 3 kids under 5, so nothing too nice.

After dinner, BFF & I have a tradition of watching movies at my house until midnight, when we watch one of the countdowns. After that, we finish the movie, and call it a night.

Jester
12-18-2011, 10:04 AM
I have no wife and no children, and live in a drinking town. As the CS.com resident drunk, I am expected to go out and get schnockered. And since I have weekends off, and NYE is on a Saturday night this year, such expectations are probably justified.

However....I don't know if that's actually going to happen. I haven't been getting as stupid as much lately, and not sure if I want to deal with all the insanity. I will definitely be out, probably get a nice dinner somewhere with some friend or friends, if someone else isn't working besides me. And after that, probably have some drinks somewhere, but....I dunno.

Not that I won't have options. In addition to our already impressive array of bars, we have not one, not two, but THREE different NYE "droppings" to ring in the New Year. The oldest and most known is the dropping of the conch shell over Sloppy Joe's Bar. Then there's the lowering of the drag queen in the giant ruby red high heel from one of the gay bars further up Duval Street. And last, but certainly not least, is the lowering of the pirate wench down the mast of a pirate ship outside a waterfront bar on the harbor. I have seen all three at various times, so don't really consider any of them a priority.

In all honesty, I'll probably drink a little too much, flirt with the wrong girl, and go home late, either by cab or bicycle. I plan on biking downtown, so I won't even have the opportunity to make a bad or stupid decision later, as might happen if I drove.

Of course, New Year's Day is a football Sunday, so I'll be drinking then, too.....meh.

You would think at 41 I would be getting too old for this shit, but people were thinking that when I was 31 as well.

Well, at least I'm good at being a drunk! :lol:

Who knows, maybe after dinner I'll go home and experiment in the kitchen, whip up some new recipes, do some online research on various food websites, be a total homebody.

Yeah....right! :rolleyes:

TWENTY-ONE COURSE MEAL

Look, I love cooking, and enjoy a challenge, but TWENTY ONE COURSES??!?!?! That's utter insanity. I am hoping that you slightly misunderstood, and that he's actually just planning 21 different dishes, including appetizers, munchies, cheese trays, etc. Or a buffet. Or....something. Hell, when my niece and I did that 20 person 4 course sit down dinner, it was about as much as we could handle!

Eisa
12-18-2011, 10:07 AM
Hmm. I dunno. Probably nothing, really, just staying at home. Maybe going out somewhere, but probably not. :lol:

Greenday
12-18-2011, 02:09 PM
Drink some near beers
Probably eat some Pizza Hut
Work

BeenThereDoneThat
12-18-2011, 09:30 PM
You know, I really should make a plan for myself even if it's just a stay at home plan. Whether or not my husband participates in it too. I can always find some kind of marathon on TV, I'm sure, and I always want to watch the ball drop at midnight. I can have a bottle of champagne, and just make sure I spend the time how *I* want to spend it. I better get working on this...lol.

Victory Sabre
12-18-2011, 10:29 PM
Work till, I don't know how late, then go and play poker with friends.

SongsOfDragons
12-19-2011, 02:01 PM
We're having a small party. A few friends are round, and we'll have some fun on the Wii with our Miis (the only games I want for it are the Wii X games - I love them!! So sue me :P) then we'll play some Carcassonne on our new gaming board (actually a big piece of MDF that lives under the sofa).

And I'll be doing some cooking. I make sausage rolls to die for, and cheddar pennies, and quintuple chocolate biscuits, and cinnamon cream cheese rollup biccies, oh and we have a lovely Gingerbread house kit, and lots and lots of Tesco's party food (yay cheesy bites!!) Not exactly a great effort but the challenge of oven timing will be a good one. Oh, and big glass bowls of JELLY!!

tropicsgoddess
12-19-2011, 02:59 PM
I won't be able to count down till midnight because I have to work till midnight. :cry: But on the bright side at least I won't be doing that in a cubicle. ;)

DGoddessChardonnay
12-19-2011, 03:05 PM
Not sure what I'll be doing New Year's Eve yet . . . it depends on what my work schedule for New Year's Day is.

If I'm lucky, I'll be home either watching movies or on the computer. :shrug:

Redbeard
12-19-2011, 07:38 PM
Not a whole helluva lot since I have been informed that I'll be working a 10 hour shift starting at 7:30 New Years morning.

AnaKhouri
12-21-2011, 09:01 PM
So our plans are down the toilet. The Dutchman told Husband that the meal he is planning will cost around $50 a person. He was VERY vague about whether he expected us to pay for it; even if he didn't, I know he makes the same salary as Husband (which is pathetic for all the work they do) and don't want to bankrupt him over dinner. :eek:

Also it really is a 21 COURSE meal (I asked again), as he estimated it would take 8 hours to eat. They planned to start at 3. Now, they might be OK with their toddler going to bed at midnight, but I most certainly am not.

Looks like action movies and popcorn again this year!