PDA

View Full Version : My cats acted like kittens

Cat
12-22-2011, 02:18 AM
Decided to wrap my gifts tonight (I usually wait til the 24th, but wanted to get a start)

Since I did all my shopping online, I had quite a few Amazon boxes lying around.

Both cats were having fun hoping in the boxes, but the best was seeing Morgan charging Riley to get him out of one of the boxes. Normally, she is a wimp who lets Riley torment her....but to see her take a stand was great. Not sure if she was actually playing, but it was fun to watch.

Empty boxes=best kitteh present.

Lyse
12-22-2011, 04:32 AM
Love when they get in there and then look around all proud of themselves. A box in our living room ended up with every single cat (my 2 and my roommate's 3) taking a turn multiple times. The looks of outrage when we took it away were priceless!

Cat
12-22-2011, 04:36 AM
I had to throw the giant box I had recently (Ri was sick in it :( ) Morgan was rather dismayed...it was her cave.

Soulstealer
12-22-2011, 06:04 AM
This is why I hardly buy cat toys.

Get me a box and a shoelace and I've got the cat toys he'll actually play with.

fireheart
12-22-2011, 08:05 AM
I think as a former regular posted here: $125 cat tree < box. :lol:

We had a filing box which we left out for the cat to hop in and out of. What we didn't actually expect was the cat to CHEW on the box. He'd basically chomp on a piece of the box, spit it out and then repeat. He wasn't able to chew on corners of the box, so by the time he'd finished, there were just these four corner pieces and the bottom of the box. :lol:

Kittish
12-22-2011, 02:52 PM
If you've got a nice sized stretch of some smooth flooring (wood, tile, linoleum, etc) then a milk jug cap is a WONDERFUL present for playful kitties. Almost as good as a box.

Geek King
12-22-2011, 04:17 PM
If you've got a nice sized stretch of some smooth flooring (wood, tile, linoleum, etc) then a milk jug cap is a WONDERFUL present for playful kitties. Almost as good as a box.

Mine always preferred the little plastic safety ring, but same concept, yeah. :lol:

fireheart
12-22-2011, 11:02 PM
Mine always preferred the little plastic safety ring, but same concept, yeah. :lol:

My grandma's cat (huge freaking British Shorthair named Muffin, who lives UP to his name) LOVES those. He also loves feet for some reason :lol:

protege
12-23-2011, 03:24 AM

Baxter, my Maine Coon, looooooves to play with those things! He'll spend hours batting them around the kitchen. Once they end up downstairs, he loses interest. I guess he can't pick them up with his teeth. Another favorite kitty toy, are balls of foil. Again, he'll bat them around for hours.

BookstoreEscapee
12-23-2011, 03:41 AM
Ponytail holders.

Lyse
12-23-2011, 05:39 AM
OMG - yes to the ponytail holders. It's not uncommon for me to find 4-5 in the bed after Pyewacket has been playing. He also loves military blousing straps - I don't have them anymore, but he has discovered my roommate's. :)

TawnyMyst
12-23-2011, 11:15 AM
Twist ties off packaging seems to be Loki's most favorite toy ever, or anything made of crafting felt. He found one of my old Christmas stocking and has been dragging it everywhere in the house behind him.

Sapphire Silk
12-23-2011, 08:12 PM
Ponytail holders.

This. I can't keep track of the things anymore; Taz LOVES them. She'll get on the furniture no matter how high to get at them.

Taz's favorite toys:

Scrunchies
Soda bottle tops
The cap off my binoculars
The plastic pull from a milk jug cap (I have to grab those; she chews them)
Paperclips (ditto)
balled up paper
Boxes of all shapes and sizes

Basically, if it will slide quickly along the wood floors in my main hall or in the kitchen OR if it is colorful, she'll steal it for a toy.

Oh, did I forget to mention . . . my glasses?

I can't keep them on the nightstand at night anymore. I have to put them on the chest of drawers, out of her reach or she steals them and hides them.

fma_fanatic
12-23-2011, 10:07 PM
Ponytail holders.

Yes! Our longhair calico does this if mine fall to the floor. They must be vanquished immediately. I've let her play with a few that have stretched out beyond any usability to me.

I need to post the photo of the toy on a stick we got her before thanksgiving. The thing has been halfway destroyed in just under a month.

Cat
12-23-2011, 10:17 PM
Oh yes, Morgan LOVES the rings off milk jugs and pony tail holders.

Actually, with any elastics, she'll bite on them, and stretch them out to flick them. She's an odd one.

Riley likes wadded up paper, sometimes he'll fetch.

fireheart
12-24-2011, 02:37 AM
Another one with the ponytail holders. Our eldest boycat LOVES them.

Before we got our younger boycat Oscar, we'd bought this stuffed tiger toy back from Monarto Zoo (it's run more like a safari than a zoo, in that you can go on tours and have a chance to see animals up close, right from the comfort of a bus). Placed it on the bed to compliment mum's much bigger tiger (since the toy itself was in a sitting position). Go out for a few hours, come home and we're greeted with our eldest boycat Mitchell holding onto the stuffed tiger toy by the neck. After that, he'd have this tendency to occasionally pick it up in his mouth and walk off with it. What made it funnier was that the toy was almost bigger than him!

As for Oscar, he has a very strange tendency to "knead" the bigger tiger before he goes to sleep.

BookstoreEscapee
12-24-2011, 04:20 AM
Yes! Our longhair calico does this if mine fall to the floor. They must be vanquished immediately. I've let her play with a few that have stretched out beyond any usability to me.

Whenever I stay at my parents' I have to make sure the door is closed; if he gets in the bedroom and I've left a ponytail holder on the nightstand, it will disappear. And usually I use the little microfiber ones that are almost the same color as my brown hair, so they are hard to find once he gets them out into the house somewhere. My mom got a pack of neon-colored ones from the dollar section at the grocery store; I see them around sometimes. He also used to get up on the back of the chair and try to pull them right out of my hair.

They also used to like straws. And peas. We sometimes give the girl a pea and they would play soccer with it for a while before eating it (or losing it under something...I moved a wicker box in the kitchen once and found several petrified peas underneath). My parents have a central vacuum system and in the kitchen there is a little opening with a kick switch so you can turn it on and just sweep stuff into it. When they were little the girl knocked a pea into there once (it was off) and she was flopping all over the floor trying to reach in and get it out. I finally took pity on her and tried to get it, but I couldn't reach either, so I got a bendy straw and used it to pull the pea out. Well, after that they wanted nothing to do with the pea and spent the rest of the night playing with the straw. We used to find them in the hall closets because they would knock them under the doors. (If you try this with your cats just keep an eye on the straws and replace them before they get too chewed up and start to come apart.)

XCashier
12-26-2011, 05:05 AM
I recommend the little plastic cylinder that 35mm film comes in. Cats bat them around, and due to the uneven diameters between the base and the lid, they roll in crazy directions. Kitties love them!