PDA

View Full Version : The year in review.

Jester
12-31-2011, 06:20 PM
Let's see....we had many celebrity deaths, multiple sex abuse scandals at major universities, politicians being crooked (again), the Casey Anthony fiasco, corporate greed getting even more blatant, more random and senseless shootings, a serial killer at work on Long Island (last I heard, they still hadn't caught him), and for me, a virtually nonexistent love life coupled with an equally nonexistent sex life.

Also in 2011 my stepsister woke up from her coma against everything the doctors predicted, and my niece gave birth to my first grand nephew.

To me, that makes 2011 a good year!

It really is all how you look at it. After all, my life--and your life--could be far worse. Witness all the crap happening to people around the world, or right in your own country, state, county, city, or neighborhood. If you have enough free time to be able to sit there at your computer and leisurely read this, then things can't be total crap, right?

So, let's put the negatives aside, if just for this little while, and discuss the positives. What were some of the high points in your 2011? Things that make the negatives seem, if not less negative, at least more easily tolerated.

Simple rules here: no snarkiness, no sarcasm, no whining, no bitching. No "well, I have nothing good to say, my life sucks." None of that. This thread is about celebrating the positive, and if you really can't find anything from the last year that fits that bill, well, remember what Moms everywhere always said: "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all." This is, in short, a Negativity-Free Zone.

At least for this thread.

So...let's hear it. Something good to put the last year in perspective and give you, and us, hope for the impending New Year.

Teysa
12-31-2011, 06:34 PM
I guess the big thing for 2011 was getting our puppy. She's an onery little critter, but I wouldn't trade her for the world. Another good thing that happened was getting a new job. Yes, the pay is less, but I feel like I'm getting useful experience that will help me get something better later on. It's also been a much needed confidence booster.

Some other good news, is that my stepsister just went from basically being told to start planning her funeral to being given a treatment plan and hope for a long life in her fight against cancer.

So, all in all, while 2011 hasn't been the best year ever, it hasn't been the worst either.

Here's hoping for an even better 2012.

firecat88
12-31-2011, 06:37 PM
I think probably the biggest 'something good' to happen this year was being able to go to my sister's wedding. The preparation and everything leading up to it was stressful as hell, especially with everything else I had going on, but it was all totally worth it in the end. I got to see a lot of family I hadn't seen in years (and a few cousins I'd never met before), gained new family members, and made several new friends. That week in North Carolina was probably the best week of the entire year.

BeenThereDoneThat
12-31-2011, 06:45 PM
Being able to spend another year with my very elderly cat. She continues to amaze me.

Marking one year of employment at the call center, and 7 years with the website job at home, both in November.

Trip to the San Francisco area in August...I'm enthralled by the city and hope to go back very soon.

Happy both my parents are still with us and hanging in there. Spending time with them when I can has been nice.

Jester
12-31-2011, 06:48 PM
Trip to the San Francisco area in August...I'm enthralled by the city and hope to go back very soon.

Great place. Been there 3 times, most recently in 2008. When you go back, some suggestions: If you're a garlic fan, make a point of eating at The Stinking Rose. It's a garlic restaurant. 'Nuff said. Also, if you like Chinese food, definitely have some chow in their Chinatown. If you need a couple suggestions, let me know. But definitely avoid the famous touristy trap place that everyone else goes to. You can get better food cheaper right in the area. Also, if you're a beer fan, plenty of good barhopping to be had there. Finally, if you're a baseball fan, as much as I hate the Giants, I have to admit that they have a damn nice ballpark, and it is worth checking out.

Okay, enough travel advice.....back to the good news!

FormerCallingCardRep
12-31-2011, 06:50 PM
The brightest moments in 2011 all involve Little Bits

1) She performed with the ACDA All State Chamber Choir in February
2) She went to Toronto Canada to compete in the International Choir competition and they brought home Gold all around with Women's Ensemble being named Grand Champion
3) She made Chamber Choir at her high school - her school's elite choir
4) She was accepted in her number one choice college to major in Music Education
5) Her Chamber Choir group was selected to sing for the inauguration of our states new Governor
6) She was selected for next February's All State Chamber group
7) Her boyfriend proposed to her two weeks ago. They are going to colleges that are a 20 minute drive apart and they are planning on getting married once she graduates

Lachrymose
12-31-2011, 06:52 PM
The best things for me were buying a house and getting to spend time with loved ones another year.

Ree
12-31-2011, 07:41 PM
2011 was NOT a good year for me at all, but in an effort to focus on the positive, I would have to say that there was one high point to the year.

I reconnected with my friends whom I have known since high school (which is since 1974) but had lost touch a bit due to distance, by going on a 10 day trip to New Orleans and Mardi Gras with them. It was the trip of a lifetime for me.
There were a lot of laughs, and my self esteem was boosted immensely when they let me know that having me go with them made it one of the best trips to MG that they had ever made.
As a result of reconnecting with them, they have been there for me at a lot of the really low points since that time.

42_42_42
12-31-2011, 08:27 PM
We refinanced our house to a crazy-low interest rate, knocking 10 years off of the mortgage in the process.

My car got totalled, but we got an awesome pick-up truck as a result, so while it was traumatic at the time, the outcome was ultimately a happy one. Plus, I wasn't really hurt in the accident.

Started back to school after 10 years of being out of college and got all A's first semester back.

My cousin, niece and sister-in-law all got engaged.

And the BIG one is my mother-in-law's brain tumor was successfully removed and determined to be noncancerous. She's 100% recovered and back to normal with now lasting ill effects. She just had her final follow-up a few days ago and she's completely in the clear.

Shpepper
12-31-2011, 08:35 PM
Of all the things I can think of, there are 3 that were huge for me.

1. I got the chance to work at our local Renaissance Faire, something that I have wanted to do for years. It was a wonderful experience for me. i am hearing impaired and it didn't matter to those I worked with. They took it in stride and made me feel a part of the group.

2, I got new wireless digital hearing aids that are amazing things.

3. I was diagnosed with ADD. I am now on medication for it and the difference is wonderful. I am finally able to start and finish a project and not get distracted as easily.

PhiSigGirl1988
12-31-2011, 08:45 PM
1. Finally got my first kiss and had my first date...at age 22.
2. Dad got a new job, which means less financial stress and some pretty cool perks (Tigers baseball game in a suite with all you can eat buffet, a Holiday Nights dinner at my old workplace in Greenfield Village (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Henry_Ford), a really nice Christmas bonus that got us a new tv, Xbox 360, and BluRay player).
3. Found out that I'm pretty awesome at blood drawing. Still working on employment with that and my biology degree.
4. Found out that the guy I've liked for a while actually has/had feelings for me at some point. He didn't say anything about it, unfortunately, and he's dating someone else right now. However, I plan on doing something about it once they're finished dating (assuming they ever stop...I really don't expect it to last too long, but I guess you never know).

So, hopefully 2012 brings me a new job, moving out, perhaps a boyfriend, and less drama with a particular friend of mine.

Squeaksmyalias
12-31-2011, 10:28 PM
1. I got the chance to work at our local Renaissance Faire, something that I have wanted to do for years. It was a wonderful experience for me. i am hearing impaired and it didn't matter to those I worked with. They took it in stride and made me feel a part of the group.

Huzzah for us, the new Rennie workers!
I worked my first ren faire too, and met so many amazing people who love and care for me no matter what. They love me for being me and I never thought I would find people like that.
I met a cousin I don't ever remember meeting, mostly because I was a wee wittle Squeaks when we met. Now I'm great friends with him and his awesome wife, her lovely daughter, and her adorable son.
2011 was great for me, I got rid of an awful person in my life in 2010 and met amazing people, rennies and my new found cousins who helped me become a more confident, happy person.

I start 2012 with meeting an uncle I have heard my entire life about, that I recently found and just started speaking to a few days ago. Soon he and my father will finally reunite like they both wanted.
In a few weeks I take a written exam for a job I've wanted forever, hopefully I pass that and continue on to the spoken test and hopefully finish with the interview and my dream job.

Even if in 2012 isn't as good, I know that I am a stronger and better person and my life can only improve because of it.

Sapphire Silk
12-31-2011, 10:45 PM
I can't really say 2011 was a bad year.

1. We finally got Mom into a safe environment. I've been worrying myself to death about her for two years. Now I can sleep at night. Check off in the plus column, for me.

2. I went back to doing Tae Kwon Do, lost 30 pounds and 9 inches off my waist.

3. I got my blood pressure back under control.

4. I quit a job that's been giving me overwhelming stress, and feel really good about that fact.

5. I won first place for board breaking at the Yong In TKD Tournament back in July.

6. I got some major projects done on the house, including repainting. The house looks wonderful :D

7. Taz came into my life. She's really gotten big (not fat, just big). She's a grown up kitty now. Still rambunctious, but a little less destructive than she was when I got her as a kitten.

Gumby30
12-31-2011, 11:27 PM
My year was average I guess but in the spirit of the thread:

We got our kitty who is the sweetest little guy ever!
We found out one of my best friends is getting married - in San Diego which means in 2012 I will finally fulfill an ambition and see California.
I shall have the once in a lifetime chance to see the Olympic flame be carried past our front door.
Already have tickets for my second ever Bruce Springsteen concert.

evilfarmer
01-01-2012, 12:14 AM
1. My hubby getting a good job he loves

2. Getting fired was the biggest release Ive had

3. Papaw being free from pain

4. Being diagnosed with Bi-polar 2 and anxiety to have a label I can point to when hubby goes WTF are you doing?

5. Finding out Christmas day my grandma red will be with her husband soon.

6. Meeting my neice Evie :baby:

I know a lot of these sound like negatives but getting fired meant I could go back to school full time while hubby works and I can destress my life more. My grandmother has been alone and in failing health for years and misses her husband a lot.

taxguykarl
01-01-2012, 01:18 AM
*I got my biggest tax-year end commission yet.:muya:
*We went on a cruise through the Panama Canal.
*We refinanced to knock off 2 years and 2 percentage points.
*This thread. (http://www.customerssuck.com/board/showthread.php?t=75399) I'll be getting the tricked out name tag (and whatever other goodies go with it) next week.
*I had a great harvest of tomatoes,cucumbers, carrots, blackberries, pears (finally producing), peaches and crab apples (yes, I have a lot of dwarf fruit trees in my backyard). Needless to say I was crazy busy with the canning.
*We (Mrs. TGK & I) managed to make huge gift baskets for all this Christmas.
*Avoided getting laid off from my year-round job.

Becks
01-01-2012, 02:17 AM
In no particular order--

Even though my boy cat got (possibly deathly) sick, he's now much better..better than ever, in fact!!

I got a job.

I made new friends and reconnected with some old ones.

I've added to the male harem.

I've added to the female harem.

The Brewers did damn good this year.

Cookie
01-01-2012, 02:36 AM
1. My husband and I finally moved into an apartment we still love and want to stay in for years. Really, really, really don't want to move again!

2. The apartment gave us friendly neighbors like I've never had in my life.

3. A new church opened up half a block from said apartment. It was exactly what we had been looking for. Neither of us had been in several years. Hard to find one that really fits what we believe.

4. Making lots of new friends at said church. The people have been amazing.

5. Turns out a lot of friends are either really close to our new neighborhood or moved here this year.

6. I got to host Thanksgiving this year with my mom, brother, and uncle coming to stay with me and my husband. If you had seen how torn apart my family was a few years ago, you'd know how huge this was.

Thanks, Jester. It's a good exercise to focus on the positive for a while. :)

P.S. PhiSigGirl1988 - I was 24 on my first date. ;)

AnaKhouri
01-01-2012, 03:41 AM
Lessee...

* Due to the generosity of my in-laws, we all went to Florida for a week back on February. Haven't been there since second grade, it was a lot of fun.

* Lost a friend to cancer in April. That was not good. The good things to come out of it are that she is now with her mom, dad, and brother. She also left us a sketch by a famous artist she'd possessed that my husband had always admired; we hung it in the bedroom so now every day I think of her.

* Attended my first Gencon in August. SO FUN! Already planning for next year.

* As my son gets older he becomes more and more interesting. He's really fun to be around and his point of view is refreshing. He also discovered a show called Superhero Squad which has advanced our quest to make him a geek by light years.

* My mom had an MRI for a possible brain tumor which came back negative.

* We finally got to see my niece for the first in 3 years (she is 8). Her evil bitch of a mother finally relented (which means she became desperate for money) and let my brother and the rest of us reconnect with her. My dad cried when he saw her again for the first time since the separation.

* Sold several stories and an editor asked for the full manuscript of my first novel. I won't hear until January if it is accepted but a full read-through is more than it ever got before!

SuperRTL
01-01-2012, 03:42 AM
My body forced me to be still for the first time in . . . 15 years? Maybe longer. I stopped living in panic mode and looked at what I really, truly wanted to do with my life.

This feels like the calm before the storm and I am so ready for what's coming next.

This year, I published my first 2 ebooks and made more progress on my novels in a month than I have in years.

I went from 120 hits on my blog in a month to 120 hits in a day.

I've made friends with people I admire who I would never have dreamed had already read my work.

We've realized the possible scope of all the medical problems I may be having and, I think, are prepared for it. I admit to being freaked out but, then again, I'm ready to go charging in, sword flashing, and I will beat whatever is wrong. I will come out of this better than ever and ready for my best friends wedding.

My best friend got engaged to a great guy and I get to be the maid of honor!

Jester
01-01-2012, 12:37 PM
1. Finally got my first kiss and had my first date...at age 22.

No, you don't understand. It's more that age 22, you GOT YOUR FIRST KISS AND HAD YOUR FIRST DATE. Emphasize the positive. LOL!

(I honestly couldn't tell you when my first actual "date" date was. Weird. See, most of the girls I've dated, we didn't do that many actual dates.

But I CAN tell you when my first blind date was. It was, if I'm not mistaken, when I was 23. She was 20. Turned into the longest relationship I've had so far. (2.5 years.) She's the one I often refer to as "Blondie" in here.

We found out one of my best friends is getting married - in San Diego which means in 2012 I will finally fulfill an ambition and see California.

Not a huge fan of San Diego, but I definitely recommend checking out the Gaslamp District. It's one thing that San Diego got absolutely right!

I know a lot of these sound like negatives ...

Actually, no. You did make them sound like positives, so don't worry. Hell, you described your firing as a huge release, so how could anyone think that you took it as anything BUT positive? Well done!

The Brewers did damn good this year.

As did the Diamondbacks....though clearly it would have been better if they had won one more game against the Brewers. LOL!

Seriously, though, considering they were predicted to finish dead last in their division, but actually won it? And I was AT the game where they clinched it, over the hated Giants? Great....freakin...year!

And the best experience I've ever had at a baseball game EVER. With my friends Cat and Music Girl, and Music Girl's wife Florida Girl. (It's 8:30 in the morning...I can't think of a catchier nickname for her than Florida Girl. Sue me.)

Thanks, Jester. It's a good exercise to focus on the positive for a while. :)

Thank YOU, and everyone else, for making it as awesome as I had hoped it would be. And thank you all (and everyone else yet to post) for sharing your awesome stories!

* As my son gets older he becomes more and more interesting. He's really fun to be around and his point of view is refreshing. He also discovered a show called Superhero Squad which has advanced our quest to make him a geek by light years.

Funniest thing I've read all week! :lol:

trailerparkmedic
01-01-2012, 09:20 PM
-My husband started his new job, got a promotion, and for the first time ever was not laid off when a large chunk of the company was.

-I graduated nursing school WITH a job I'm crazy excited about. Almost everyone who made it through the first semester graduated with me.

-I got my wonderful, crazy, adorable dog. She can be challenging, especially when she wakes me up an hour early because she wants to play, but she is also lots of fun and a great comfort after a bad day or when I'm sick.

-I ran my first 5k.

-My little sister got a fantastic new job which will allow for some good professional growth and she's finally making enough money to move out of my parent's house (3 and a half years after graduation).

-The Texans are going to the playoffs for the first time ever.

-I met one of my closest friends this year.

-I started drinking craft beer.

Kanalah
01-01-2012, 10:05 PM
Good things about 2011

-Placed 4th in machine quilted catagory after placing 9th in it last year. :)

-Finally got in touch with my dad and his side of the family. Found some loving supportive people.

-Made a ton of awesome friends at CS, and I know I have a support net if I need it.

- Got my daughter into an awesome school where I know she'll get the help she needs.

-Learned how to make awesome new things to sell. (stockings, pillowcases, little dollies, potholders)

-Started school in a field I've wanted to work in since I was a child.

kansasgal
01-01-2012, 10:15 PM
Great place. Been there 3 times, most recently in 2008. When you go back, some suggestions: If you're a garlic fan, make a point of eating at The Stinking Rose. It's a garlic restaurant. 'Nuff said. Also, if you like Chinese food, definitely have some chow in their Chinatown. If you need a couple suggestions, let me know. But definitely avoid the famous touristy trap place that everyone else goes to. You can get better food cheaper right in the area. Also, if you're a beer fan, plenty of good barhopping to be had there. Finally, if you're a baseball fan, as much as I hate the Giants, I have to admit that they have a damn nice ballpark, and it is worth checking out.

Okay, enough travel advice.....back to the good news!

OMG I LOVE the Stinking Rose! I hadn't ever met anyone else who knew about it!

For my year, I got accepted into the School of Social Work, meaning I am three semesters away from my degree, and will achieve it by age 52. I am on the downhill side of school..YAY!

Redbeard
01-01-2012, 10:23 PM
Moved out of Utah, something I've been trying to do for a decade now and moved to the Portland area, whcih made my inner pirate squee like a schoolgirl and go "Ye've been in Salt Lake fuckin city all this time when you could have been HERE??!"

Still got a good job that pays well and gives me good benefits

Car may have been laid to rest, but there's awesome public transit!

The wife is recovering from the loss of her daughter and is able to smile again and well on her way to recovery. That there is my biggest good thing moment when she said "I'm going to be okay now."

Oh yes! funniest moment(s) of the year! the wife’s sister harangued her into reading the Twilight series, and she would randomly put down the book that she was on, give me a big hug and go "THANK YOU for not being an emotionally abusive douchebag!"

draggar
01-01-2012, 11:05 PM
I got to get together with my family (parents, sister, her husband and son) for a week in Orlando.

Had a great time at a FLA meeting and met many wonderful people and their wolfdogs.

Got two new digital cameras (a high end one and a "cheap" one).

Was the first person (and Luna) to represent wolfdogs at a national level AKC event on an official capacity.

Zorro got an Award of Excellence at the Eukanuba National Championship

We whelped ZJ (and kept him)

The "forever" home for Pollux officially became "forever"! (YAY!!!)

Zorro got cast to star in a small production film (filming starts in the spring) - he and Kiri were also used in a commercial.

My wife's youngest sister got married. I also got to see my brother (and his GF) and sister in law (the two middle children).

MoonCat
01-01-2012, 11:44 PM
OK, this is another of Jester's awesome ideas. Let's see:

- I did NaNoWriMo for the first time and logged my 50K words on Nov. 29th, a day early. I learned a lot from participating in this.
- My sis dumped retail and got a better-paying, full time job.
- I had to have surgery but that means the nasty old gallbladder will never bother me again.
- I'm getting dental work done, after being just too damn scared to go for a long time. It was pain that drove me to it, but hey, as someone once said, "The absence of alternatives clears the mind marvelously."
- My old kitty stayed with me through another year. Thank you, Bast & awesome vets!
- The contract bargaining team at work managed to hang onto paid health care for us. We don't get a raise but we weren't really expecting to, and we did get a "signing bonus" so that was a few bucks I wouldn't have had otherwise.
- I replaced the crappy old stormdoor we had on the back door with a pretty new one. It's minor, but it made me happy.
- I discovered Chobani Greek yogurt. Again minor, but you have to understand that yogurt used to make me gag, and this stuff is fantastically delicious.
- Started reading steampunk and really enjoying it. Planning to make some jewelry based on it.

shankyknitter
01-01-2012, 11:50 PM
This year I:

Got to live with a really awesome friend of mine
Got my snake
Got my first job since 2010
Got my first apartment ever
Got my boyfriend to move in with me from another state

IDontWorkHere
01-02-2012, 01:21 AM
In 2011 -

I went from jobless to gainfully employed - while on a vacation in another state (yes, I "moved" with nothing but a small suitcase and purse)
In moving, I ended up 364 miles closer to the love of my life.
I got semi-engaged (we agree that we want to be married, but he wont "officially" ask until he has a ring.
I got a raise on my 28th birthday.

Good year, I'd say. :-)

Jester
01-02-2012, 03:23 AM
I started drinking craft beer.

Welcome to the club! Any questions, just ask me. I've been here a while....

-Learned how to make awesome new things to sell. (stockings, pillowcases, little dollies, potholders)

If you can make such things (pot holders, chef hats, aprons) with team logos or fabrics, I would be interested in purchasing them. PM me. Yes, I am very serious. (Specifically, I am looking for such things for either the Oakland Raiders or the Arizona State University Sun Devils.)

OMG I LOVE the Stinking Rose! I hadn't ever met anyone else who knew about it!

And now you have! I even have one of their "Got Garlic?" t-shirts, which ROCK!

OK, this is another of Jester's awesome ideas.

Wait...I've had others? :eek: :confused: :shrug: :headscratch:

tropicsgoddess
01-02-2012, 05:52 AM
My 2011 year in review....

Left a highly stressful job

Moved to upstate New York and got an awesome house :wave:

Got a new job working from home

Got a puppy (mixed breed) :love:

Sold my car

SO got a great job with a great boss and it's minutes from the house! :D

SongsOfDragons
01-02-2012, 01:22 PM
Uhhh stuff. Erm *digs around in old notes* Aha!! Stuff that happened!!

1. I got a Wii. It was a semi-impulse buy though I had been seriously considering getting one for a few months beforehand and we found a brilliant package deal (non-family console, extra Wiimote and nunchuck, Fit Plus, Play and a silicone mat for the Balance Board on wooden floors - all for about £300) at our local computery place. It is so awesome - though I'm revealing I'm a bit of a crap gamer since all the games I have are 'Wii Something'. XD

2. Student Nationals in Sheffield!! Got about six pages of great quotes from the weekend's two Supers roleplays and one dude in our group rightfully won the category because he basically warped his character into our big bad for the last battle (quoth the DM: This is great!! My players are fighting each other, I don't need to make up plot any more!!). And Cardiff won!! So a shorter journey for us next year :D

3. My housemate's friend Miki came over from Japan to visit and watch the Royal Wedding with us. :D She's sooooo awesome - and she taught me how to write my name in hiregana. ^^

4. Two of our great friends from uni got married. ^^ Bride's dress was loooooooovely and I have the contact for her dressmaker. And also interestingly the groom, ushers, and both fathers wore the same lovely ivory and purple swirly waistcoat and cravat combination, which is something I liked muchly. Best wedding I've ever been to. :D Oh and the best man's speech was a Powerpoint presentation.

5. Housemate and I went to Guernsey to visit a friend. It's suuuuuch a nice place. Warm weather, history, stuff to see, CHEAP PETROL AND NO VAT ahem, and Herm island (just off the coast of Guernsey, one takes a 20 min ferry) has no cars :D and a gorgeous beach called Shell Beach.

houdini
01-02-2012, 03:03 PM
- I proposed last Christmas, and then we got married in May - I think the highlight of being married is the titanium rings that we had made. They suit both of us so well and I smile every time I see it on my finger.

- Settled into a good job, and have been given more responsibility for next year. It's been a year full of learning and interesting things, all of which should help me going forward.

- Started my degree, which is interesting so far! I'm enjoying it :-)

- Husband got a new job which is far more interesting than his last, pays more and is going to go further than his old one - and he's completely stunned them with how much he can do. I am absolutely bursting with pride in him because it's made such a change in his confidence.

- We went to the Dorset Steam Fair and camped, which was amazing - I think we will be going back this year!

Overall, it's been a really good year - everything's settled down and I'm feeling a lot more confident about coping with projects and challenges for 2012. I'm hoping it will be as good!

trailerparkmedic
01-02-2012, 03:11 PM
Welcome to the club! Any questions, just ask me. I've been here a while....

Well, I love IPAs and I know those aren't your favorite. :D Not that I'd turn down a good brown (I found Moose Drool at the store for New Years!) but if I have a choice, it's usually an IPA.

Cazzi
01-03-2012, 08:38 AM
Excellent thread Jester. Its made me process what at first seemed to be another year of "bleh" and find some pretty good spots :D

Couple of biggies first:
My anxiety ridden social-phobic & somewhat agoraphobic daughter has been brave enough to get out of the house and go to town by herself on a few occasions... which given her past history is quite amazing.

Two days before Christmas, mum found out that an ulcerous mark on her tongue was benign and not the cancer she was worrying about.

My son won a Student of the Year award at college, the only one doing his particular course to do so.

One of my daughters shopping trips, only this time she took my mother with her, was to buy my Christmas present early... a cute & slightly insane guinea pig (I'd lost my poor Katie earlier in the year to stomach problems).

I appear to be getting over the "heartache" I've been suffering for the last couple of years, although I'm still very single.

I also discovered that although wine really disagrees with me these days, I can drink mead & its much nicer.

I finally found the best eating plan for me that doesn't upset my stomach, give me sugar crashes & is letting me gradually lose weight :)
Also, over the Christmas period I've worked out that its not just gluten I have problems with, it seems that processed grains in general don't like me, so that's another plus in making me feel good!

I found a personal trainer with a great attitude. When I answered one of his questions partly with "obviously, to lose weight" he replied.. "why obviously?"

I finally said something to my ex in-laws about my kids father, calmly and succinctly.

Mishi
01-03-2012, 09:35 AM
This year I:
- Started on my 100 hours of driving.
- Grew loads of fruit and veggies (including 17+ kg of accidental tomatoes).
- Did not give into the pressure to reconcile with my abusive mother.
- Made up with a childhood friend.
- Started speech therapy with Jazzy, and she's doing really well! :D
- Accidentally intimidated a bodybuilder.
- Went on our first family holiday.
- Painted the girls bedroom hot pink, threw some paint at two canvases, and sewed some awesome curtains. It's so pretty. :love:

Cat
01-03-2012, 11:13 AM
Like this thread!

Let's see:

Still with my awesome bf, longest relationship I've head!

Crazy sick Riley cat is still sick and crazy, but doing great

Morgan cat started acting like a kitten again

Climbed 3 more 4000' mountains in NH, getting a bit closer to all 48.

Still at my job

Got to be better friends with a pretty cool person

Became a soccer fan and follower of the Revs, hope to meet more cool people from this in the upcoming season. Meet a few players as well

Hmm....making this post, 2011 was pretty decent! :)

Wild Mage
01-04-2012, 10:01 PM
Best things about 2011
1) Got my first job and it was actually something I enjoyed
2) Got to see my grandparents in NY for the first time in almost two years
3) Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 midnight showing!
4) Got straight As last semester for the first time in my college career with some of my toughest classes
5) Went to NYC and saw the Rockettes and all the Christmas decorations
6) Went to Harry Potter World with my family
7) Spent quality time with my best friend since kindergarten
8) Made Peanut brittle and peppermint bark by myself for the first time and they came out great
9) Went ice skating
10) Little Sis went off to college and got all As and made lots of friends
And lots of other things but figured I'd stop at 10!

Elspeth
01-04-2012, 10:16 PM
Lets see good stuff:

Went to almost every homer Sounder game (is it March yet) and had a blast

Finally got over some of my shyness and started helping with the TIFO displays that the supporter group puts together. worked on 3 this year hope to do more next year.

Started going to away viewings with the local sub group, we will not be hermits

Started going to the gym

And started to not let things get to me so much.

Cat
01-04-2012, 11:10 PM
Went to almost every homer Sounder game (is it March yet) and had a blast

See, I love winter, but since we are lacking snow (to hike in) I too, long for March :D

Jester
01-05-2012, 02:27 AM
Well, I love IPAs and I know those aren't your favorite. :D Not that I'd turn down a good brown (I found Moose Drool at the store for New Years!) but if I have a choice, it's usually an IPA.

I LOVE Moose Drool...wish we could get it here. But since we can't, I grab at least a pint or two every time I go home to Phoenix. Usually at the same bar, which I went to the first time in September 2010, and yet the one bartender/manager there recognizes me and remembers me every time I go. Wild.

As for IPAs, while I am not a huge fan of them, I can perhaps guide you to some degree, as I have some knowledge of quite a few of them, and know what my IPA drinking friends like. No, I can't be as helpful with IPAs as I can with most other styles, but I can still be somewhat helpful. :cheers:

Excellent thread Jester. Its made me process what at first seemed to be another year of "bleh" and find some pretty good spots :D

Why, thank you! One of the nicest things anyone said to me today...and a lot of people said a lot of nice things to me today. (It was a great Magic Wednesday today....)

Climbed 3 more 4000' mountains in NH, getting a bit closer to all 48.

How much closer? As in, of the 48, how many have you climbed so far?

Spork4pedro
01-05-2012, 09:28 AM
This past year has been one heck of a beat down for me but let me think of the good...

* A started a new job! Yay! Back in wine again!
* My son started talking and just amazes me each day
* One of our best friends got married to an AMAZING chick! and my other best friend was proposed to and will be married in April! While this is a tough subject for me personally, I honestly couldn't be happier for them!

um...that's all I can think of. The goal this year will be to check in a year from now with at least double the list!

AtDIelement
01-05-2012, 05:37 PM
Got married October 1.

Other than that, a pretty standard year.

BeenThereDoneThat
01-05-2012, 08:08 PM
Congratulations on your marriage, AtDIelement! Wishing you both a long and healthy life together :)

Treasure
01-05-2012, 08:10 PM
Let's see.....

Moved out of mom and dad and into my own apt (finally!)

went on a girls only weekend to the beach

got engaged!
2 wks later - got out of the relationship that had suddenly pulled a 180 on me...

Found out exactly how strong I am

found out that i had horribly misjudged a few people and ended up with some really amazing friends

got asked to be a bridesmaid in a friends wedding (and this one will actually happen!)

Went to Vegas for mom & dad's 21st wedding annv.

found a new dentist, and got a horribly broken and painful tooth pulled.

went to guided meditation spiritual workshops, found out who my patron deity is :)

(made out with a handful of amazing kissers (post breakup))

worddork
01-05-2012, 11:39 PM
Let's see

Started teaching jewelry and knitting classes at glitter hell.

Found out my SIL is pregnant, so now I have an excuse to knit all the cute little baby things I've been waiting to try.

Was told I did an amazing job at my last vocal recital.

Met my favorite actress and got a picture with her.

Jester
01-06-2012, 03:08 AM
Met my favorite actress and got a picture with her.

Who? Who? Who? (Inquiring minds want to know....)

worddork
01-06-2012, 06:00 AM
Who? Who? Who? (Inquiring minds want to know....)

Claudia Christian from Babylon 5. That's her and I in my avatar picture.

Akasa
01-07-2012, 05:25 AM
In 2011 I went to NYC and my best friend moved back to Hawaii.(Where I am.)

Eisa
01-07-2012, 06:24 AM
I graduated with a B.A. in Psychology, as a graduate of the university honors program. :D

Rhion
01-07-2012, 12:06 PM
Wow, this thread is a great idea. Contemplating the positives of the year gone by has been quite fun!

The negative first: An adult-onset yeast intolerance means I can't greatly indulge in my love for beer.

The positives: Discovering Scotch Whiskey, as well as moving to a new area at work (really big government department lets me move wherever without much hassle) which has been a really positive move. I've really started enjoying work again. Also, the icing on the cake, I've dropped a clothing size thanks to a new (sustainable!) diet. (I don't focus on kilograms lost, because I found I obsessed about it too much and it was really affecting me negatively).

Congratulations to everyone, may 2012 be great!

2012, I'm aiming to be more social. I'm too comfortable with my own company. The tail end of 2011 brought a bit of improvement there, but I need to hang out with people more my age.

Jester
01-07-2012, 12:24 PM
The negative first...

No! No negatives in this thread! And never, ever, EVER list the negatives first, as you give them too much positive. Negatives should be the footnotes to positives, not the other way around.

So, away with this negative. Away!

Rhion
01-07-2012, 12:36 PM
No! No negatives in this thread! And never, ever, EVER list the negatives first, as you give them too much positive. Negatives should be the footnotes to positives, not the other way around.

Don't beat me! Negatives awaaaay...

Ree
01-07-2012, 01:13 PM

Don't beat me! Negatives awaaaay...Ummm....the way I saw it, you listed a negative that resulted in a positive, (the yeast intolerance meant no beer, so you discovered Scotch whiskey) so the unnecessary verbal smackdown and resulting edit wasn't all that necessary. (It's not my thread, of course. I'm just sayin'... :shrug:)

Canihelpurass
01-07-2012, 01:25 PM
In 2011, I gained my freedom back once again, and got lucky to start 2012 with no debt ( improvement from about usd 180 000 from the beginning of the year 2011. I have my own little apartment since 11/2011 and first time since 2002 I made a friend. So not too bad

Cat
01-07-2012, 01:47 PM
How much closer? As in, of the 48, how many have you climbed so far?

We have 11 down. Long way to go....but fun trying!

Jester
01-07-2012, 04:53 PM
Ummm....the way I saw it, you listed a negative that resulted in a positive, (the yeast intolerance meant no beer, so you discovered Scotch whiskey) so the unnecessary verbal smackdown and resulting edit wasn't all that necessary. (It's not my thread, of course. I'm just sayin'... :shrug:)

I did not mean it as a verbal smackdown per se as much as a reminder of my "no negatives" rule that I stated in the beginning. I'd like to think that Rhion took it in the humorous way it was intended.

That being said, while negatives can often beget positives, there are better ways to say it, rather than emphasizing the negative. "While I found out I couldn't drink beer any more, I discovered my love for Scotch whiskey." The way it was written did just the opposite, emphasizing the negative. Something I wanted to be left out of this thread. Just saying.

Okay, this whole post has been a downer. Fuck that. PARTY! :party:

Bring on more of the positives of the last year, kids!

(Note to Rhion: Please edit your post to its original form so people can know what the hell we are on about here. And please, don't take my "threats" so seriously that you edit your post. My name IS Jester, after all, which is just another word for "fool.")

iradney
01-07-2012, 08:32 PM
You gotta take the bad with the good. Otherwise, the positives aren't as sweet without the juxtaposition of the negative.

Last year marked the 10 year anniversary of my sister passing away. I was able to find a great tattoo artist to design a memorial tattoo that I now have on my wrist, and I love it.

I've been moved to a different department at work, and I hope they will actually pay attention to what I want to do and how to use my strengths. Prior to that, I was actually incredibly unhappy in my job.

TTO and I got married :) And will shortly be celebrating our one year anniversary :love:

Rhion
01-07-2012, 09:49 PM
I'd like to think that Rhion took it in the humorous way it was intended.

Yep, that's the one.

That being said, while negatives can often beget positives, there are better ways to say it, rather than emphasizing the negative. "While I found out I couldn't drink beer any more, I discovered my love for Scotch whiskey." The way it was written did just the opposite, emphasizing the negative. Something I wanted to be left out of this thread. Just saying.

Yeah, it was pretty much there for framing. Wasn't supposed to be a big deal, and sorry that I didn't re-read the first post, I had last read that page of the thread a few days ago while lurking.

Okay, this whole post has been a downer. Fuck that. PARTY! :party:

Needs more of this! Keep 'em coming, peoples!

Jester
01-08-2012, 05:07 AM
You gotta take the bad with the good. Otherwise, the positives aren't as sweet without the juxtaposition of the negative.

No argument there. I was merely objecting the emphasis on the negative, not the inclusion of it at all.

I have often said on this site, and elsewhere, that "when one door closes, another opens." I believe that, even if that has not necessarily transpired in my love life. (It has in so many other parts of my life, though. And, to be honest, even in my love life. Just not since The Big One, aka, my ex-fiance.)

Another positive: my niece Dragon was blown away when I told her I'd be attending her high school graduation in June. In Houston.

Also, since my best friend recently got hired by an airline, it is very likely my airfares are going to go down considerably (she told me this, it is not a presumption on my part), which means I can not only go to Houston for said graduation, but home to Phoenix for another gathering of my family in April, similar to the one last January, before which we had not all been gathered together since Lil Sis's wedding in New York...in 2003.

AND my stepsister is making more and more progress.

Yep....3 more positives. I like finishing strong like that! :D

dragon_wings
01-10-2012, 10:48 PM
In 2011:
I met my boyfriend. Shortly after which we became a couple.
I moved out of my ex's place.
I moved out on my own for the *first* time in my life.
I got to know my sister's kids better (2011 was the first full year I lived a 30 minute car ride away).
I met so many awesome people.
I met my roomie and she later moved in.

raw456
01-11-2012, 11:19 PM
My Highlights of 2011:

*Got to visit my dad who I hadn't seen in 2.5years (We live in different states)

*competed in (and completed) the City to Surf fun run

*Raised $1400 for the leukeamia foundation by shaving my head

*bought a push bike to help keep fit