PDA

View Full Version : sparkling moscato

Food Lady
01-01-2012, 06:56 PM
for the win. Mmmmm. I still have 2/3 a bottle and plan to finish it in the next couple of days. (I don't drink a lot--maybe 1 a night). I had never heard of it and got the last bottle. Anyone had it? I got Barefoot brand at Target.

lupo pazzesco
01-01-2012, 09:33 PM
Moscato is probably one of my favorite kinds of wine to drink. Sweet and bubbly and light, since I'm not a huge fan of reds.

Never tried the Barefoot, but then I don't care for that particular brand of wine, personally. Voga Moscato is my favorite, so far, but then I'm still trying different ones as I come across them, and as our resident interwebs sommelier recommends them (Thank you KiaKat!!)

So far on my list to try are:
G.D. Vajira
La Spinetta
Michele Chiarlo
Paolo Saracco (though supposed to be hard to find)
Abbazia di Novacella (another hard to find one...but yay, questing adventure!!)

I have tried, the Mionetto moscato and the San Guilo Moscato D'asti, both were tasty, but I still think Voga is my favorite thus far.

If you like moscatos, try a prosecco, they're also fruity and bubbly. Wolfie and I had that last night to toast the new year, again on the advice of our wonderful KiaKat. Crisp and fruity, and yuuum. We had the Ruffino.

another light and fruity wine to look for is a Riesling, but some are dryer than others. Wolfie likes Funf (I think that's how you spell it), and I tried another one called Von Hovel Balduin Riesling. THAT was a yummy one.

I should shut up now...and now I want some wine... :D

Irving Patrick Freleigh
01-01-2012, 11:08 PM
Not a wine person (I'm currently working on a case of Guinness), but I'd steer clear of the Barefoot brand just because of the name.

I'd probably think it had toenails and other disgusting foot debris in it. :lol:

Food Lady
01-02-2012, 07:56 AM
LOL at Irv. I didn't like this brand as much as others, but it's the only time I've seen a sparkling moscato. I have a feeling it's a seasonal item. Imma have another glass now.

lupo pazzesco
01-02-2012, 02:55 PM
Moscato is actually available year round. I've always had better luck looking in a liquor store, where there's a bigger selection. You should check on out, they have lots of yummy moscatos. :)

Ellain
01-02-2012, 06:11 PM
Moscato is my current favorite. Now I'll have to go look for a prosecco to try...

lupo pazzesco
01-02-2012, 11:18 PM
We had the Ruffino prosecco, which was pretty good. Bubbly and fruity. A little dryer than a moscato, but still tasty. :) We were told to try that, or a Mionetto prosecco. The Ruffino was on special 2 for sale, which ultimately decided us.

Mishi
01-02-2012, 11:32 PM
I love Brown Brothers Moscato, it's so yummy!

Food Lady
01-03-2012, 12:01 AM
Moscato is actually available year round. I've always had better luck looking in a liquor store, where there's a bigger selection. You should check on out, they have lots of yummy moscatos. :) The bubbly kind, too?

lupo pazzesco
01-03-2012, 01:13 AM
yup. Moscato usually is bubbly, if I'm not mistaken. But then, I'm not a wine expert, so that's just based on my experience. :)

BeenThereDoneThat
01-03-2012, 02:21 AM
I have a bottle of a Prosecco in my fridge...bought it for NYE but didn't open it. I will, though, maybe tomorrow night when my class is over. Might as well get drunk before my first day of having to take real calls for the new client! :drink:

raw456
01-03-2012, 04:13 AM
I dont know if it's available outside of Australia, but Brown Brothers do 2 very nice Moscato's. They do a white which is non sparkling and a rose that is just lightly sparkling.

I have been drinking the white for years and discovered the rose on our honeymoon 3 yrs ago.

There is currently a bottle of each in my fridge. I may just have a glass (or 2) after work :D

Food Lady
01-03-2012, 08:10 AM
yup. Moscato usually is bubbly, if I'm not mistaken. But then, I'm not a wine expert, so that's just based on my experience. :) I've had flat before. This is the first carbonated one I've had. I gotta say--the Italians do wine well!

Greenday
01-03-2012, 11:55 AM
The only flat Moscato that I've had was one that had been opened and was starting to go bad.

Barefoot does make a good Moscato and at a good price. It's available year round, at least it is in my area back home.

Not a fan of most white wines, I prefer a niece Chianti or Merlot, but Moscato is one of my favorites.

KiaKat
01-04-2012, 02:08 AM
:wave: Resident wine expert, chiming in!

Moscato (Muscat Blanc Petits Grains) is a grape, frequently used to make a sweet dessert wine. The best Moscatos are from the Piedmont region of Italy, known as Moscato d'Asti. These are, hands-down, the best of the options. Look for a small grey-white band across the capsule (foil) of the bottle, it should say "Moscato d'Asti DOCG." This is a guarantee of quality, origin, and content. Moscato d'Asti will be frizzante (lightly sparkling), sweet, and low alcohol.

The grape, Muscat, is also used in a number of other dessert wines around the world. Banyul, Muscat Beaumes de Venise, Clairette de Die, and Samos. When made as a traditional wine (as opposed to a late harvest, passito, or botrytized), it is frequently referred to as simply Moscato.

There is a serious quality difference between the various Moscatos on the market today. At the top is the d'Asti style (not to be confused with Asti Spumante, which is a different wine entirely and not nearly as good), followed by the Australian, and then the Californian. Mostly this is due to climate differences, and partially due to the particular wineries that make them.

While I enjoy Moscato d'Asti, I'm a much bigger fan of some of the other Italian dessert wines out there. Passitos, Lambrusco Dolce, and Vin di Visicole are some of my favourites.

Spork4pedro
01-05-2012, 10:35 AM
Yay! A wine thread!

I gotta agree with KitKat! Moscato D'Asti tend to be the best of the bunch. Some of my favs are Il Conte and Cupcake. Also if you love moscato and want to try something different, look for Stella Rosa Rosso. It's a red wine but it's nearly identical to a moscato in sweetness but it has more of a berry taste to it. Our store sells it by the ton.

lupo pazzesco
01-06-2012, 07:58 PM
I do like the fruitiness of Moscato D'Asti, KiaKat is always on point with recommending wines. I'm going to have to look into the Stella Rosa Rosso. I don't particularly care for red wines, because of the tannins, but if it's fruity like moscato, I'm willing to try it. How dry is it??

We had some prosecco with a pork dish I made early last week. It was yummy and went quite well. :)

Of course, now we need to get a reisling for wolfie, since he likes them.

KiaKat
01-06-2012, 08:48 PM
I think (need to do the research) that Stella Rosa is a Lambrusco. I think I've recommended them to you before, Lupo, but you had trouble finding them.

Lambrusco, like Gamay and Zweigelt, is fruity and low in tannins - that makes for a young, quaffable wine with light/light-medium body and good acid.

Treasure
01-06-2012, 09:09 PM
I LOVE Riesling! however I recently tried Moscato by Yellow Tail(?) (may have been barefoot...hrm) and I enjoyed it quite a bit... light, fruity, not too sweet, slightly fizzy... *contented sigh*

I know for NYE a lot of stores were pushing the "Sparkling Moscato" as an alternative to Champagne, so i think it may have been a marketing ploy (and apparently it worked as you enjoyed it!)

my favorite Reisling is by Schmitt Sohne, comes in a blue bottle and they have 4 varieties (each with distinct "flavors") they also produce Relax Riesling (again in a blue bottle)
both can be found for usually less than 10$ a bottle

lupo pazzesco
01-06-2012, 10:05 PM
Treasure, that's the same company that produces the Funf reisling that wolfie is so fond of.

And yis, KiaKat, you have mentioned Lambrusco before. Methinks I'm going to have to go to the BIG booze store in town and do some hunting. No doubt you'll end up getting a phone call. Again. :p

KiaKat
01-08-2012, 02:11 AM
O noes. A phone call from Lupo. How terrible.

/sarcasm

srsly, though... My favourite bubbly is from Francois Chidaine. He's a producer in the Montlouis appellation in the Touraine region of the Loire Valley in France. The traditional bubbly is just so delicious - harvested from somewhat young vines of extra ripe Chenin Blanc grapes, fermented using wild yeasts and using the natural sugars to trigger a second fermentation in the bottle, it's a creamy almost-entirely-dry, slightly nutty and very wild-tasting bubbly. Love love love love love.

(moar info here (http://www.polanerselections.com/portfolio.php?pID=1447&prodID=716))

Jester
01-08-2012, 06:01 AM
Excellent thread! And for those of you offering reviews on various moscatos, please feel free to do so in the CS Booze Club thread right here in Off Topic. And yes, that is a very shameless plug, thank you very much. But it is also a way for your opinions on said moscato to reach even more people that might not read this thread. Just saying.

I'd steer clear of the Barefoot brand just because of the name.

I'd probably think it had toenails and other disgusting foot debris in it. :lol:

As opposed to all the other wines that have their grapes foot-stomped.

Seriously, Barefoot is a very decent inexpensive wine, far better than a lot of other "house" wines one might find at restaurants and bars. Just saying.

I gotta say--the Italians do wine well!

Yes, they do. (Alert: another shameless plug coming...) I even just reviewed an Italian red in the CS Booze Club thread. Yep, that's right....Mr. Beer/Mr. Rum reviewed a WINE.

Shocking, I know.

Spork4pedro
01-09-2012, 02:00 AM
Re: Stella Rossa As far as I've read it's a Blend of grapes (mostly Brachetto) but it is actually sweeter than most lambruscos that I've had. The best way for me to describe it is like Moscato but with a sweet berry/grape flavor rather than the apple cidery flavor.

Treasure, that's the same company that produces the Funf reisling that wolfie is so fond of.

Did you see that there is a Funf Moscato? Delish!

btw...has anyone tried an Orange wine yet? I've been hearing about this alot lately but haven't come across one yet.

Irving Patrick Freleigh
01-09-2012, 02:29 AM
btw...has anyone tried an Orange wine yet? I've been hearing about this alot lately but haven't come across one yet.

Only one I'm aware of is pruno, and....well, you don't wanna go there. :D

KiaKat
01-09-2012, 02:34 AM
Oh, Brachetto. Of course. I've had a couple of those. They're rather grapey. I'm not a huge fan, though Lambrusco I like. *shrugs* Slight wine snobbery seems to be a hazard of working in the business for so long.

Misanthropical
01-09-2012, 03:59 AM
Mionetto moscato is my personal favorite. I tried Roscato Russo Dalce 2010 at Olive Garden, which is a red and I don't usually like red, but the Roscato has been added to my favored wine list.

I tried Scotch, which my grandma use to drink to beat her insomnia but I couldn't handle it. I also hate beer, so I think I will stick to wine.

CalyCoRose
01-10-2012, 04:13 AM
Went to the in-laws' house this weekend. The younger BiL and his wife brought a moscato by Yellow Tail. It was really good. (And I don't drink a lot of wines). I'm thinking of picking up a few bottles just for me. :D