View Full Version : tax question

01-07-2012, 03:31 AM
So the last conversation I had with my now ex husband was about taxes. His exact words were HAHA you fucking bitch, I didnt file or pay our taxes last year. So now what? I know we owed about 400 and some dollars, and he told me that he had filed them and paid them. I read about something called the innocent spouse relief, I think i'm eligiable.

01-07-2012, 03:47 AM
Ouch. What you should do is call the government(s) and see if he really didn't file taxes.

It's better for you to contact them first than have them audit you later.

01-07-2012, 04:29 AM

Was your divorce final before or after NYE 2011? If before than you are considered unmarried for that entire year and may file single or head-of-household (if you have dependents). If after, you may have to consider filing separately.

By last year does he mean for 2010 or 2009? As you would have been married for those years, you may have to file (again consider separately).

Just remember certain tax credits are unavailable if you file separately mainly the earned income credit, and various higher education credits.

You can order a transcript of you previous returns here. (http://www.irs.gov/individuals/article/0,,id=232168,00.html) You may also select your account balance (if you previously owed). A transcript looks something like this (http://www.irs.gov/efile/article/0,,id=232219,00.html) (bottom of the page). The actual returns are $57 a pop. If he did the returns at a preparer they will be able to get you copies for less.

Innocent spouse info here. (http://www.irs.gov/individuals/content/0,,id=130302,00.html)

Slayer is right, the IRS is merciful if you go to them. Believe me you would rather deal with their collections division than their criminal division.
Yes you may PM me with the replies or more detailed questions.