PDA

View Full Version : Its the little things

Seraph
01-12-2012, 10:41 PM
Just so much sadness around here lately, and frankly, what I find cheers me up is to just find something, no matter how small, and be happy about it. There's always a light in the darkness, no matter how small, you know.

So, not sure if it will help. But even still, always good to just stop and think for a moment.

What's something that you guys are happy over, or have to be grateful about? (sorry to sound all Thanksgiving there :P )

Mishi
01-12-2012, 11:26 PM
- The wind and the rain!:D It's been so hot here lately, and there have been almost no breezes so it's a lovely change.

- My garden, because it's so bright and happy. I'm picking one or two Papa Meilland roses everyday, and their gorgeous scent fills the house. There are lots of Cosmos, Oregano, Basil, Yarrow, Dianthus, Thyme, Rosemary, Rose, Sunflower, Gazania, and Snapdragon flowers blooming, and they always make me smile

AnaKhouri
01-12-2012, 11:29 PM
I too am kind of struck by all the problems that have been cropping up here. I wonder if it is working retail specifically or just modern society that causes so many people anxiety and stress. I am glad people feel they can come here to express it. :)

Lots of things make me happy! Here's a few that are free and pretty easy to obtain:

* Simon's Cat videos on Youtube

* While writing, starting on a new, fresh blank page

* The nice feeling at work that I helped someone find the thing they wanted

* Birds at the bird feeder (and my cat bonking the window when she tries to get them)

* Blasting heavy metal (or your choice of music) in the car at top volume

csquared
01-13-2012, 12:05 AM
This (http://www.goodwithketchup.com/TFT2011/#TFT%202011%20%28118%20of%20154%29.jpg) makes me happy. Those are the toys we collected last month for Toys for Tots. About 350 children got toys under their tree that would not have otherwise.

Chazzie
01-13-2012, 12:17 AM
My best friend. We're 1700 miles away, but we're never more than a text away from each other. And we will always respond. Getting the text about her surprise Christmas present I sent her through the mail put the biggest smile on my face. :D

BookstoreEscapee
01-13-2012, 12:43 AM
The Starbucks guy (when I see him, which has been once so far this year...) :eyewaggle:

Seraph
01-13-2012, 01:22 AM
This (http://www.goodwithketchup.com/TFT2011/#TFT%202011%20%28118%20of%20154%29.jpg) makes me happy. Those are the toys we collected last month for Toys for Tots. About 350 children got toys under their tree that would not have otherwise.

That's freaking AWESOME, dude!

csquared
01-13-2012, 01:42 AM
I should add one more thing. There are about 100+ people there having a good time. Take a look at some of the other pictures (http://www.goodwithketchup.com/TFT2011/).

It feel good to know that you made a difference.

Lady Legira
01-13-2012, 02:07 AM
I just found four songs on YouTube from an album I loved since my husband played me a few years ago but the album is very hard to get hold of since it was a pressing on a small label (Myrrh) in the early 70s that dealt in Christian music. The album is kinda delicate now and fuzzes on the high notes. It would cost anywhere between 50-300 pounds to replace due to it's rarity.

It's good album and does have mild christian overtones but not hiting you with a anvil type and the music and singer are great. :D I'm not christian, agnostic at best.

So happy *dances*

KiaKat
01-13-2012, 02:10 AM
My cats.

My husband.

My cats, turning my husband into their bitch.

Skiing.

SNO!

Interesting wines.

Great customers.

CS Chat (http://www.cschatter.com) and all its denizens.

My friends, both online and off.

Baking.

Cooking.

Clean sheets (yay!)

and of course...

My cats, especially when they turn my husband into their bitch.

dalesys
01-13-2012, 02:18 AM
My children, siblings and cousins choosing to keep me as an active part of their lives for the last 25 years.

When they had damn good reasons not to.

Mishi
01-13-2012, 02:20 AM
My children, siblings and cousins choosing to keep me as an active part of their lives for the last 25 years.

That's awesome and it's what I hope for as well.

MoonCat
01-13-2012, 02:53 AM
Finishing Carol Berg's Collegia Magica trilogy. Gods, that woman can write!!

The very mild winter we've had so far. Temps have been in the 30's and 40's and even a few 50's. Sure it's going to snow eventually, but we've already had a month nearly snow-free.

ShadowBall
01-13-2012, 05:14 AM
Little things are often times what make me feel better too. My cats - even when they act like little assholes from time to time, they make me smile. Also love coffee every day, having things I make (food or art) turn out well. Of course, my friends when they're not also being a pain in the ass. My friends and my cats are often times the ones that keep me from falling irrecoverably into darkness.

Kogarashi
01-13-2012, 05:39 AM
My children. The older two playing on their new bunk bed that Hubby and I put together tonight, and the baby whenever she smiles and giggles.

Also my Hubby, for just sitting with me in the pantry the other night with the door shut, no questions asked, as we talked about random stuff. (Yes, we're weird.)

Seraph
01-13-2012, 08:36 PM
Also my Hubby, for just sitting with me in the pantry the other night with the door shut, no questions asked, as we talked about random stuff. (Yes, we're weird.)

I see no problem with that! The pantry has all the food, after all! :D

Elspeth
01-13-2012, 08:43 PM
My hubby

Going to Sounders games with my Hubby

Just talking with my Hubby about everything.

Being able to talk to my parents about stuff. Especially my Mom and getting our business going this year.

Getting out to the gym and not dieing

Eireann
01-13-2012, 09:26 PM
The wonderful people on this site.

Birds singing.

The leaf buds on the trees.

My kitty loving against me.

My movie collection (fairly extensive).

Chatting with friends on Facebook.

Natural beauty.

My soft bed.

The amazing synchronicity of this past week.

trailerparkmedic
01-13-2012, 10:11 PM
My dog--when she snuggles next to me, when she licks my face to wake me up for her morning walk, and especially when she tries to give me an innocent look when caught in the act. Yesterday she grabbed frozen waffles out of the trash and hid them all over the house. When I got home, she had one hanging out of her mouth and she still gave me big eyes, as if to say "I didn't do it! I've been good!"

Bardmaiden
01-14-2012, 04:39 AM
My boyfriend of nine years who understands that sometimes I cry/lash out/don't want to do things but that it isn't my choice, depresion sometimes does that to me and that he will sit and hold me and ressure me I am loved and say something silly to make me laugh.

My best friend who when my sisters partner died dropped everything jumped on a train and stayed with us for a week just so that we had someone there. Who I see regularly and when I'm down hugs me and tells me I am awesome and that I give the best hugs.

My sister who understands me, loves me and is glad I'm around so I can do all the practical things that need doing.

Music I love having music on usually my iTunes playing whatever comes up.

Books!

spark
01-14-2012, 06:49 AM
Good food. Admittedly that has the side effect of making me gain weight and I have to fight off the "you're fat" neuroses because I'm no longer a twig, but I LOVE good food so much. I'm off to dinner at a great place right now, in fact.

RootedPhoenix
01-14-2012, 09:59 AM
Beads. Music. My loved people. :D

Seraph
01-14-2012, 03:29 PM
Greek yogurt with honey.

ItssofreakingAMAZING.<flails>

FormerCallingCardRep
01-14-2012, 03:37 PM
My Grandson Bug - How his face lights up and his giggles when "Pap Pap" and "Gamma" walk in the door to see him. Watching him and "Pap Pap" play with his trains.

My Hubby - He always knows when I just need him to hold me close.

My Oldest - Watching the strong independent woman and loving Mother she is becoming.

Little Bits - Listening to her sing from the time she gets up in the morning until she goes to bed at night. Even though it is the down time for Choir she has her individual pieces she is working on for ratings and her music for both All State Chamber and All State Choir

Dasota
01-14-2012, 10:13 PM
The very mild winter we've had so far. Temps have been in the 30's and 40's and even a few 50's. Sure it's going to snow eventually, but we've already had a month nearly snow-free.

This! Well up until Friday anyways. Now winter has finally arrived just in time for me to move.

I'm happy for the fact that I have so many awesome friends. Also that I was able to find a new place to live and a new bed so quickly

Mytical
01-14-2012, 10:57 PM
Making somebody else happy, see the beauty/amazing in themselves.
Being able to help somebody, being able to make somebody smile.
Making somebody else's day.
Standing up for somebody else.

Doing for others is when I am the most happy.

Mishi
01-15-2012, 12:19 AM
A scout from my sparrow flock coming inside for a quick visit. :)

Bardmaiden
01-15-2012, 04:22 PM
Eating the leftover mix from making your own buns, yummy!

houdini
01-15-2012, 05:59 PM
Writing. Being in a different world, talking to the characters, puzzling over what they would do next and then they go and do something completely different when I write it...I always cheer up when writing :D

And the way my husband laughs at me because I make faces and talk to myself while writing, and then sing snatches of whatever I'm listening to. :lol:

Kogarashi
01-15-2012, 09:01 PM
Successfully juicing a pomegranate. :D

And then eating the cheesecake you put the juice in. Yum.

Seraph
01-17-2012, 05:42 PM
Ripe persimmons.

And giving unripe ones to unsuspecting friends. :D

Kanalah
01-17-2012, 07:57 PM
All you wonderful people here.

Touching the pretty fabrics.

Making awesome quilts out of the "ugly" fabrics.

Getting complimented on my kid's behavior.

Good clients :)

Eireann
01-17-2012, 08:02 PM
Meeting wonderful new people.

Planning a cross-country (U.S.) trip and planning to meet as many CS members as I can.

Petting my kitty.

Seeing someone admire the earrings I made, and enjoy wearing them.

Planning to fly to Fiji with a friend. I read that one good way to get what you want is to act as if you've already received some of it, and you're wondering what to do next. My friend and I had a DELIGHTFUL time talking about flying first-class to Fiji, spending a month there, then on the way back, two weeks in Singapore and two weeks in Thailand.

Bardmaiden
01-17-2012, 08:23 PM
Just being happy, having spent the last two years fighting to feel anything at some points, just being able to be happy is wonderful :)

Seshat
01-17-2012, 09:27 PM
Being able to keep the suicidal ideas under control.

Having developed little 'diversion' paths of thought, so that when I start thinking loops like 'I'm ugly and useless and everyone would be better off without me', I have the diversion 'I'm in a depressive delusion, this series of thoughts can't be trusted, get online and talk to someone'.

... and having people I can talk to.

Mishi
01-17-2012, 10:34 PM
@Seshat: You constantly show how much you care for people by trying to help them online and so I can't imagine you being anything other than beautiful.

Scorpodael
01-17-2012, 10:35 PM
To crush my enemies, to see them driven before me, and to hear the lamentations of their women.

Oh, and also quoting buff Austrians quoting ancient warlords, that's pretty awesome, too.

El Pollo Guerrera
01-17-2012, 10:49 PM
Wednesday night.

On Wednesday night, I pick up my box of Magic decks and go down to the local gaming club, where I sit at a table with a few old friends and a bunch of younger players and cardflop for hours.

We play cards, we talk, we laugh, we (well, some of us older ones) drink beer, we have fun.

If it wasn't for Wednesday night at the club, I would have stripped my gears LONG ago.

Seshat
01-17-2012, 10:57 PM
@Seshat: You constantly show how much you care for people by trying to help them online and so I can't imagine you being anything other than beautiful.

People who say things like this. :)

Anna's psychiatrist told her that depression can often trigger actual delusions - as in, you honestly, totally, truly believe whatever it is. Mine include those (I do have others).

It was very difficult to train myself to recognise that the delusions are delusions, not reality, and that I have to trust other people's judgement instead of mine when they trigger. Also, that it has to be only trustworthy people!

Mishi
01-17-2012, 11:26 PM
Thanks :) I've been there, and it's not fun. Rugz helps a lot, even now that I don't feel down very often. He's one of those blokes that takes it as a compliment when people flirt with me, and reminds me of the nice things that people say.

Rugz makes me smile, especially when he's being sweet. I also love his effect on birds (the avian kind). He chats with the butcher bird family and teaches the babies some new songs. Magpies adore him; he was throwing dog biscuits to a baby one and ended up with a flock of 30+ adults and juveniles landing around him so they could be fed and 'talk' to him.

Bandit
01-18-2012, 12:13 AM
Having a chance to break out the snowthrower early in the morning to suprise my neighbour by clearing his driveway.

The dogs aka the comedy act.

Getting up to go to a job I (mostly) enjoy and helping the people there.

This community with all their support and Christmas cards. :)

My new and slightly dysfunctional family and sisters that I first met at 42.

John Fogarty and Bob Seger concerts.

Every sunrise, as there have been times that I've been pretty close to not seeing another one.

B

Seshat
01-18-2012, 09:24 AM
Rugz makes me smile, especially when he's being sweet. I also love his effect on birds (the avian kind). He chats with the butcher bird family and teaches the babies some new songs. Magpies adore him; he was throwing dog biscuits to a baby one and ended up with a flock of 30+ adults and juveniles landing around him so they could be fed and 'talk' to him.

Dancer is the King of the cuttlefish.

Every time he goes to the Melbourne Aquarium, all the cuttlefish in their exhibit crowd to be as close as possible to where he is. It's the craziest sight!

Kogarashi
01-18-2012, 08:39 PM
Heh, my daughter got that with the penguins at the Mystic Aquarium when she was three. See attached photo for my favorite shot.

Seraph
01-18-2012, 09:23 PM
Heh, my daughter got that with the penguins at the Mystic Aquarium when she was three. See attached photo for my favorite shot.

Daaaawwwww!

In another note, my daughter is now flailing because she "wants to meet Happy Feet too!"

Buglady
01-18-2012, 11:14 PM
The amazing clear golden-pink light on the snow outside, contrasting with a sky the blue of infinity that is wisped with cloud. (It's -30C so I most certainly do not wish to BE outside, but the beauty of the day astonishes me).

I am also most grateful and happy to have a day off today, in my warm quiet apartment, and to have the skill and materials to cook myself some delicious food :D

I so very much agree with this :) Seshat, you are a beautiful person, there can be no doubt whatsoever. Your compassion, empathy and generosity of spirit shine through every post; your frankness in sharing your own frustrations and pain make the hope you voice resonate all the more strongly.

Seraph
01-22-2012, 11:07 PM
Watching my daughter play hide and seek with the cats always brings a grin to my face.

...Course, when its the littler one, the cats just play Hide. :P