PDA

View Full Version : 100th Anniversary this year

CorneliaMarieRocks
01-20-2012, 08:59 PM
So, as I'm sure some of you are aware, April 15th this year marks 100 years since Titanic sank. In honor of this, James Cameron is re-releasing "Titanic" in 3D into theaters. Anyone here going to see it in 3D?

Feel free to discuss :)

Sheldonrs
01-20-2012, 09:19 PM
SPOILER ALERT!

IT SINKS!!! :D

BTW, does anyone remember a photoshop image that got e-mailed to millions with a picture of the Titanic on the bottom of the ocean with skeletons of Rose and Jack at the bow of the ship, arms outstretched?

I loved that pic but haven't been able to find it anymore. If anyone has it, can you post it here? :-)

Thanks.

CorneliaMarieRocks
01-20-2012, 09:32 PM
ha ha! no shit?? :P

Hmm, I think I saw somewhere someone posted that pic, but I dunno where..I do know that someone on the IMDB board for Titanic posted a screengrab of the scene where Lovejoy (the bodyguard) was chasing Rose & Jack throughout the ship & Rose flipped him off when they got into the elevator. But I can't find it right at the moment, when I do I'll post it

Here another thought for those who care to discuss..What would you have done had you been there? Stayed on as long as possible or...? (and this assuming there's either no more lifeboats or no more time to get any launched)

bhskittykatt
01-20-2012, 10:53 PM
I don't think I want to see it. Converted 3D films aren't that great. One clip from the preview I saw looked like Jack's arm was detached and floating in front of his body. If they are showing it in 2D as well I may see it, but I'm not spending the extra for converted-to-3D.

CorneliaMarieRocks
01-20-2012, 11:28 PM
They are re-releasing it in 2D as well, but I've told my mom I wanted to see it in 3D (I'm dragging her w/ me ha ha). Hell, in fact, I might go see it on the 15th just as my own way of remembering those who died that night, the love story isn't the draw for me, it's the 'putting yourself in that moment' in a way to actually understand how those folks must've felt that no other movie made about the Titanic has ever done (IMHO)

CorneliaMarieRocks
01-21-2012, 02:52 AM
this is for Sheldonrs, I know its not the image you were talking about earlier but I thought it was pretty damn funny

disclaimer: I realize the event itself was in NO way humorous & that many people lost their lives that night, something that shouldn't have happened at all, so..

BookstoreEscapee
01-21-2012, 03:32 AM
Is it this one (http://media1.break.com/breakstudios/2011/11/22/titanic%20skeleton%20parody%20of%20jack%20and%20ro se%20flying.jpg), Sheldon?

I have no plans to see it in 2- or 3-D. I've seen it several times, including in the theater when it first came out (when we got out it was absolutely pouring rain, which seemed appropriate :p). 3D doesn't really appeal to me much; I already wear glasses, I don't need another pair just to watch a movie...

bhskittykatt
01-21-2012, 04:59 AM
I think Titanic was the first movie I saw in theatres. It's the first one I remember seeing, anyway. I was ten years old. I don't think my conservative father was expecting the nude sketching scene, as he tried to cover my young, innocent eyes. :rolleyes:

CorneliaMarieRocks
01-21-2012, 05:02 AM
ha ha that's funny katt, ooops ;)

tropicsgoddess
01-21-2012, 05:02 AM
I remember seeing Titanic in the drive-in theater with my parents and sisters (my hometown still has a drive-in theater...with a indoor/outdoor flea market).

Sheldonrs
01-21-2012, 08:17 AM
Is it this one (http://media1.break.com/breakstudios/2011/11/22/titanic%20skeleton%20parody%20of%20jack%20and%20ro se%20flying.jpg), Sheldon?

I have no plans to see it in 2- or 3-D. I've seen it several times, including in the theater when it first came out (when we got out it was absolutely pouring rain, which seemed appropriate :p). 3D doesn't really appeal to me much; I already wear glasses, I don't need another pair just to watch a movie...

That's the one! Thanks!

I like the "no shit" one too. lol

CorneliaMarieRocks
01-21-2012, 05:30 PM
ha ha! I looked at the one you were talking about Sheldonrs, that's pretty funny. I found the "no shit" one while looking for a b & w pic of Titanic for a graphic workshop last night, I liked it so much I made it my desktop wallpaper :P

SongsOfDragons
01-21-2012, 07:21 PM
I live near to Southampton, where the Titanic sailed from.

It's going to be HELL BUSY. :(

I'm staying in!

CorneliaMarieRocks
01-21-2012, 08:18 PM
oohh ouch, I feel for ya :(

I've heard that there's 2 cruise ships who will be sailing on April the 10th & taking the exact route Titanic took & on April 14th/15th they will have a memorial service at the site of where she went down. I'd go if I had the chance simply in remembrance of those who died, but too far away & no $$ plus I dunno if I would want to be on a ship on the anniversary of when she sank, sorry but I'd just be too afraid history would repeat itself & I'd also be afraid that with my luck being what it is, I'd wind up with a captain who would be be all "damn the torpedos, full steam ahead" know what I mean? Kudos though, to those who do have the $$/guts to take part

*Please, don't take this into Fratching territory, anyone who wants to debate about whether the captain was right or wrong, I'll start a thread for that over there & folks can feel free to debate that & other things concerning that night over there. thanks*

BookstoreEscapee
01-21-2012, 08:40 PM
That's the one! Thanks!

No problem :)

(I did a google image search for "titanic rose and jack skeleton" and it was the first thing I found...actually, the first thing I found was stuff about Jack Skellington :p but then I clicked on Images and the pic was first)

CorneliaMarieRocks
01-21-2012, 09:35 PM
yeah, there's actually a couple of them. Geez & I found one where 2 divers apparently dove to the wreck & were pictured standing on the bow in the "flying pose" I don't think that's appropriate IMHO but that's just me *shrug*

CorneliaMarieRocks
01-22-2012, 05:12 AM
Sheldonrs I finally found that picture I was telling you about...This scene was too funny, the look on Lovejoy's face was priceless :lol:

HappyFun Ball
01-22-2012, 05:24 AM
See it? Hell, I've got a replica of Roses jump dress ordered to wear to it.

CorneliaMarieRocks
01-22-2012, 06:53 AM
oh wow seriously? that's cool. I won't be dressing up, but you can dang well believe I'll be seeing it & dragging my poor mother along with me..We're gonna be ruined for days afterwards from crying I swear.

wolfie
01-22-2012, 03:25 PM
BTW, does anyone remember a photoshop image that got e-mailed to millions with a picture of the Titanic on the bottom of the ocean with skeletons of Rose and Jack at the bow of the ship, arms outstretched?

Whoever did that photoshop obviously didn't watch the movie. I haven't seen the movie, but my understanding is that at either the beginning or the end, there's a scene with an elderly Rose, who survived the sinking.

Jester
01-22-2012, 06:31 PM
I'll go watch the movie again, in 2D or 3D, on one condition: they edit out that fucking Celine Dion song. Haven't we heard that dreck ENOUGH?!!??!?! :lol:

CorneliaMarieRocks
01-22-2012, 08:20 PM
Wolfie, elderly Rose is seen throughout the film. Won't say anymore than that in case you want to see the movie for yourself.

Jester, err well, hate to break it to ya, but I HIGHLY doubt they're gonna edit out the most awesome song she ever did (sorry folks, but I love that song :p)

you wanna hear something really sad? I heard that when that Italian cruise ship that struck the reef & partially sank, that "My Heart Will Go On" was played on deck as the ship sank :lol:

SongsOfDragons
01-22-2012, 09:16 PM
oohh ouch, I feel for ya :(

Thanks ^^

I've heard that there's 2 cruise ships who will be sailing on April the 10th & taking the exact route Titanic took & on April 14th/15th they will have a memorial service at the site of where she went down. I'd go if I had the chance simply in remembrance of those who died, but too far away & no $$ plus I dunno if I would want to be on a ship on the anniversary of when she sank, sorry but I'd just be too afraid history would repeat itself & I'd also be afraid that with my luck being what it is, I'd wind up with a captain who would be be all "damn the torpedos, full steam ahead" know what I mean? Kudos though, to those who do have the $$/guts to take part

Not sure if they'll be actually sailing from Southampton, as the ABP schedule only says the Oriana is in and out on the 10th... http://www.southamptonvts.co.uk/Live_Information/Shipping_Movements_and_Cruise_Ship_Schedule/Cruise_Ship_Schedule/ Housemate and I rely on this site, as we love going down to Calshot (look at a map of Southampton Water, which is the big river confluence that joins onto the Solent; Calshot is the left corner of that coast) to watch the big ships go out. :D We watched MS Queen Elizabeth's maiden voyage go out last year. ^^ Her honk is LOUD!!

HOWEVER, Housemate has just identified that the ship in question for the Titanic memorial cruises is the MS Balmoral...which comes in and out a lot, and is sailing on the 8th of April. She's a Fred Olsen ship and her tonnage is actually 3,000 less than what the Titanic was (43k to 46k). I reckon that might be the cruise that says hello on the 15th...

I like big ships...is it that obvious? :D

CorneliaMarieRocks
01-22-2012, 09:57 PM
Cool beans, I never knew that, thanks for the info :)

definitely & that's cool :) To be honest, I've pretty much been obsessed with RMS Titanic every since I was in school & I actually grew up close to Galveston TX & my dad used to take me deep sea fishing so I love boats myself, "Deadliest Catch" is a t.v show our family never misses (although, those boats are smaller than ships like Titanic was obviously) but still, out on the sea, whether it be Galveston, the North Atlantic, or the Bering Sea you never want to underestimate what several thousand tons of water can do.

I've pretty much seen every movie ever made about Titanic, although the older ones my memory is pretty fuzzy on. I, personally, think Cameron's version is one that can't be topped. Like I said in a previous post, showing the chaos, confusion, & terror as it truly was is something the older movies never really drove home, they generally showed everyone getting in the lifeboats all calm & collected, the ship sliding gracefully under all in one piece etc.

Anyhow, I'll shut up for now :lol:

bhskittykatt
01-22-2012, 10:22 PM
Whoever did that photoshop obviously didn't watch the movie. I haven't seen the movie, but my understanding is that at either the beginning or the end, there's a scene with an elderly Rose, who survived the sinking.

Yes, but [SPOILER ALERT: highlight for details] at the end, she dies and her spirit returns to the Titanic to reunite with Jack. Which Cracked.com (http://www.cracked.com/article_19618_6-horrible-aftermaths-implied-by-movies-with-happy-endings.html) recently pointed out was a pretty dick move. (Spoilers at the link as well.)

I've pretty much seen every movie ever made about Titanic, although the older ones my memory is pretty fuzzy on. I, personally, think Cameron's version is one that can't be topped. Like I said in a previous post, showing the chaos, confusion, & terror as it truly was is something the older movies never really drove home, they generally showed everyone getting in the lifeboats all calm & collected, the ship sliding gracefully under all in one piece etc.

Anyhow, I'll shut up for now :lol:

One of my favorite things I got to see once was a touring exhibit about the Titanic. It had all sorts of artifacts recovered from the wreckage, which was pretty eerie. There were replicas of the grand staircase, a first-class cabin, and a third-class cabin. There was a list of names of all the deceased, organized by class. The crew and third-class lists were noticeably longer than the first-class list. :( There was also a giant "iceberg", which simulated how cold the waters were there, and you were invited to feel it and see how long you could keep your hands on it. It was damn cold, and I couldn't keep my hands up on it for more than a minute. I couldn't imagine having my entire body immersed in that cold. :(

CorneliaMarieRocks
01-22-2012, 10:38 PM
yeah I've seen pictures of that exhibit (from the outside that is) where is it located exactly? Course I figure with the anniversary folks will probably be flocking to it.

you mean they've actually taken stuff from the wreck?? I know I've heard of treasure hunters wanting to, can't say I agree with it. MHO, stuff that went down with the ship should remain there

Irving Patrick Freleigh
01-22-2012, 11:11 PM
*curls up in fetal position in a corner sucking his thumb."

No. Just...no. Titanic bring pain. Pain from being dragged to see the movie by middle/high school girlfriends.

Having to sit straight-faced as a friend of mine screeched her way through My Heart Will Go On at a school talent show as the two girls accompanying her on piano tried their best not to laugh.

*whimper*

CorneliaMarieRocks
01-23-2012, 12:23 AM
awww Irv :P there there, think happy thoughts :D

you happen to have video of this particular debacle? see, that's why I don't sing because I know that I would just destroy it (especially that song)

besides, I don't give two shits about the love story part, fact of the matter is, I fast forward past like the first hr & some odd minutes (right up until before the 'berg is sighted). But for this I'll sit through it because for me it's about honoring those who died

Besides, you realize that your middle/high school girlfriends were just going to see it so they could ogle Leo right? (not saying I don't ogle certain guys in the movie 'cause I do, but Leo ain't one of them :P)

bhskittykatt
01-23-2012, 01:17 AM
yeah I've seen pictures of that exhibit (from the outside that is) where is it located exactly? Course I figure with the anniversary folks will probably be flocking to it.

you mean they've actually taken stuff from the wreck?? I know I've heard of treasure hunters wanting to, can't say I agree with it. MHO, stuff that went down with the ship should remain there

I saw it years ago at the Pacific Science Center in Seattle. It was a touring exhibit, though. I don't know where it still is, but I know it's not still there.

Yeah, they had some artifacts recovered. I remember there was a top hat, and a doll, and some jewelry, and even a big chunk of the hull itself...I don't remember everything, as it was years ago. It was a very fascinating exhibit, though.

CorneliaMarieRocks
01-23-2012, 03:48 AM
hmm, sounds interesting.

I know I saw a picture once of some sort of attraction, but it was kind of like those bouncing castle type things, but it was of the stern once she started to tilt before she started to break up. Looked kinda cool, but I dunno that they need to be making amusement park attractions of such things ya know? The touring exhibit though sounds neat, I didn't realize they had recovered much of anything from the wreck

bhskittykatt
01-23-2012, 04:10 AM
Found it. "Titanic: The Artifact Exhibition". Looks like it finally settled in Vegas:
http://www.luxor.com/entertainment/titanic.aspx
(you can see in the pics the giant chunk of hull they hauled up)

There are still some touring exhibits as well:
http://www.rmstitanic.net/exhibitions.html

And here are some of the artifact photos
http://www.rmstitanic.net/community/photos/artifact-photos.html

CorneliaMarieRocks
01-23-2012, 08:17 AM
well, all I can say is, when the movie comes back to the theaters if ya'll hear news reports of some idiot gettin' their ass kicked at a theater in Ga because they booed , well you can pretty much figure I was the one who did it :p

just kidding ;) well, sorta, maybe :devil:

Jester
01-23-2012, 09:58 AM
the most awesome song she ever did

Yes, it was. And it was played TO DEATH, and still is. And I have no problem with people liking it. I just find it to be absolute dreck. But if I remember correctly, the song is only at the end of the movie during the credits, right? So I can walk out during it?

I will probably go see the movie again, because 1. it's a good movie, 2. the sinking of the ship was one of the most amazing cinematic feats I've ever seen, and 3. Kate Winslet looks really good naked. :lol:

CorneliaMarieRocks
01-23-2012, 07:08 PM
you're right, I agree with that, it WAS overkill just a tad, but then again so was all the teeny bopper girls salivating over Leo.

And yes, pretty much, you're correct, the vocal song is only during the credits, but the tune itself was used throughout the movie. So I guess you can walk out during the credits, if you can see thru your tears that is :D *kidding don't kill me*

Hey if you want a really good laugh, go to youtube & search for Titanic's deleted scenes, one in particular is a fight scene between Jack & Lovejoy. Its funny b/c it's so unrealistic (which is why it was left out heh)

Bella_Vixen
01-24-2012, 09:46 PM
"No mere man can compare to the memory of those suspenders."

I laughed til I cried. :spew:

Bandit
01-25-2012, 12:20 AM
Found it. "Titanic: The Artifact Exhibition". Looks like it finally settled in Vegas:

It's actually going up for auction (http://finance.yahoo.com/news/unprecedented-auction-complete-collection-artifacts-163116070.html) on April the 11th.

Can someone loan me about $300 Million to buy it? :lol:

B

CorneliaMarieRocks
01-25-2012, 05:52 AM
hehe, an appropriate date they picked to do it, nice that they want the exhibit to remain open to the public still though..

The article says that one of the things they recovered from the wreck was the ship's steering wheel stand?? I would've thought that would've been destroyed the night she sank when the water came through the wheelhouse windows :confused:

Bandit, believe me, if I had $$ like that I wouldn't hesitate to go in with ya, would be a cool thing to a least own a share of it :cool:

And just think, if only they'd had 15 more feet, another 15 feet & we wouldn't even be having this conversation :no: :( :cry:

AccountingDrone
01-26-2012, 06:28 PM
Actually Titanic [and Avatar] is among the movies I have never seen nor will I ever see them. I have never seen more than was in a commercial I could not change channels fast enough. The more something gets shoved down our throat by advertising, the less inclined I am to watch it.

That being said, I am working my way through Last Dinner on the Titanic (http://www.amazon.com/Last-Dinner-Titanic-Menus-Recipes/dp/078686303X), mainly because I trained in classic french cooking, and I collect cookbooks =) Anybody who is a Titanic fan would appreciate it, it gives menus and recipes and suggestions on how to have a Titanic dinner party.

CorneliaMarieRocks
01-28-2012, 05:13 PM
well to each their own :)

although, I suspect that as the anniversary gets closer that they will be advertising it ALOT (especially the latter part of March & all through April)

That cookbook sounds cool though, I've seen it on Amazon, but I don't own it..Tell me though, do they include the iceberg in any of the recipes? ha ha :whistle:

dalesys
01-28-2012, 05:51 PM
... do they include the iceberg in any of the recipes? ha ha :whistle:
Let us hope not.:D

CorneliaMarieRocks
01-28-2012, 08:43 PM
really, that WAS kinda lame :o

Actually, there apparently was a deleted scene in the movie where someone in first class stopped a waiter & asked for more ice :lol: supposedly, this scene took place only minutes before Titanic struck the iceberg :eek: The irony of that goes along with the irony of the song they sang that morning during services, "Eternal Father Strong To Save"

dunno if this scene exists or not, but I have the collector's edition (that has all the deleted scenes & a bunch of extra stuff on it ) winging it's way to me as we speak so I'll check it out, would be ironic if that did happen though :p

dalesys
01-28-2012, 09:09 PM
really, that WAS kinda lame :o
Well, we did host the 2uoh2 Limp Icks.:devil:

Jester
01-29-2012, 03:12 AM
That being said, I am working my way through Last Dinner on the Titanic (http://www.amazon.com/Last-Dinner-Titanic-Menus-Recipes/dp/078686303X)...

Damn it! They don't have a Kindle version!

Tell me though, do they include the iceberg in any of the recipes?

Probably some iceberg lettuce in some of them.....

Jester
01-29-2012, 04:22 AM
My university actually has a history class on the Titanic this semester and the professor is hoping that the school's history society will put on an event that ties in somehow with the anniversary.

This just give me a sinking feeling.

dalesys
01-29-2012, 12:12 PM
This just give me a sinking feeling.
Sheldon! A rescue! A rescue! Jester's going down!

AccountingDrone
01-29-2012, 01:09 PM
Damn it! They don't have a Kindle version!

Probably some iceberg lettuce in some of them.....

Some of the recipes are available online. We did Consomme Olga (http://www.food.com/recipe/titanic-1st-class-menu-consomm-olga-191094) first =) none of us likes celeriac so the garnish was leek and cucumber in extremely fine julienne, almost cat-whisker fine.

This is the original blog post (http://lostpastremembered.blogspot.com/2010/06/punch-romaine-on-titanic.html) that got me interested in the book =)

And there is non specific lettuce mentioned in the recipe (http://www.erasofelegance.com/cooking/edwardianrecipes.html) for Asparagus Salad with Champagne-Saffron Vinaigrette.

CorneliaMarieRocks
01-29-2012, 08:36 PM
I'm sure they will Kitty, especially being's that this anniversary is a big one, I mean, think about it, a hundred years :eek: hell, I wasn't even born when Titanic sank but of all the things that has happened in history, this one is the one that has impacted me the most :(

Hell, even if your uni's history society doesn't want to do anything big tell 'em it doesn't have to be anything more than a candlelight vigil held at 11:40 April 14th :shrug:

edited to add: I went to youtube & looked for deleted scenes & YES the scene with the ice does exist. Right about the time Titanic attempted to port-'round the 'berg, Molly Brown is shown in the first class dining area asking a waiter for a little ice & you can see the 'berg through the porthole window as Titanic passes it :lol: