PDA

View Full Version : RIP Trixie dog

Primer
01-23-2012, 08:03 PM
My 14 yo Australian Shepherd mix crossed the Rainbow Bridge last night. I rescued her 9 years ago when her then owner, and my former neighbor, was going to have her put down for fighting with his new wife's terrier mix, and tearing it up for the 5th time. I still don't know what that terrier could have said to Trixie, as Trixie was nothing but patient with all my other dogs.

5 years ago, Trixie was diagnosed with first stage liver failure, and we were referred to a specialty vet who worked miracles keeping Trixie healthy and happy. We knew she was on borrowed time even then, and over the past year her vision and hearing were getting noticeably worse. She still had her puppy moments daily, and loved playing with her best bud (my avatar and namesake) Primer.

Last night at about 11, I heard her stumble and fall in the laundry room, and she let out a horrible scared wail. I could tell when I got to her that she would not make it long enough to get her in to town to the emergency vet, so I wrapped her up in a blanket and got her comfortable in one of the doggie beds. DH and I laid with her, petting her, and comforting her until she passed about 15 minutes later. The other 5 dogs were allowed to come in and check on her throughout as they wished. We dug a hole and buried her in the front yard, in her favorite spot, where she would always curl up to watch the road and "protect" her land.

Primer slept in Trixie's bed last night, and seems lost without her today. I know we will all get over the immediate pain, but she will remain forever in our hearts and memories.

Seraph
01-23-2012, 08:19 PM
<hugs> I'm so sorry to hear that, Primer. My prayers will be with you and your husband.

Aethian
01-23-2012, 08:42 PM
Bummmer... *snuggles*

BrenDAnn
01-23-2012, 10:29 PM
<hugs> So sorry. I understand this so much. My little Rat Terrier, Laci, passed at the beginning of winter. Thoughts to you and your family and all your dogs!

Becks
01-23-2012, 11:18 PM
*oodles of hugs*

MoonCat
01-24-2012, 01:14 AM
So sorry! May she visit you in dreams.

Der Cute
01-24-2012, 01:48 AM
Oh, Primer. I'm so sorry *major hugs*. Give all the other critters a hug from me too, ok?

LillFilly
01-24-2012, 01:53 AM
I'm sorry for you. Remember how much she loved you and how much you (still) love her. Keep the memories close and they'll help.

Android Kaeli
01-24-2012, 02:03 AM
I know this all too well, so so sorry. *gives lots of hugs*

RootedPhoenix
01-24-2012, 05:47 AM
*hugs* :( I'm sad that happened to you. It's really hard.

draggar
01-24-2012, 09:45 AM
I'm sorry for what happened - at least she went with the people she loved.

Bella_Vixen
01-24-2012, 09:35 PM
*many hugs*

mechanic1908
01-26-2012, 10:01 AM
I'm very sorry to hear this.
I've been there a few times myself with old K-9 friend's.
I just try and remember all the good times we had together and time passing seems to help.
Take care.
Eric

Primer
01-26-2012, 01:12 PM
Thanks everyone. Primer has been starting out every night in Trixie's bed, then coming to bed with us (her usual spot) in the middle of the night. Last night, she finally decided to come snuggle first. We're all slowly adjusting.

The attached pic (if it works) was taken about 2.5 years ago:

tropicsgoddess
01-26-2012, 06:30 PM
Sorry for your loss, Primer. :hug: :hug: