PDA

View Full Version : toothache from hell

Bright_Star
02-25-2012, 10:51 AM
I've had a nasty toothache for the last few days. Have to wait till Monday till I'm able to go to the dentist to have it taken care of. The ONLY thing that works to kill the pain is Ibuprofen. 800 mg & it lasts for 8 hours!
Never had a toothache before & this pain is horrendous!

Chanlin
02-25-2012, 11:08 AM
Ice worked really well for me when I had an impacted molar. Depending on the cause of the pain, making up a paste from a crushed aspirin and applying it directly to the hurting tooth can help.

BlaqueKatt
02-25-2012, 02:41 PM
I've had some success with crushed garlic wrapped in a coffee filter if the pain was from infection.

or teething gel...

Tama
02-25-2012, 05:48 PM
Oddly enough, with some of my toothaches I've applied some antiseptic mouthwash to both sides of the gumline of the affected tooth, and it's helped. I'm not sure why.

Shpepper
02-25-2012, 07:07 PM
Clove Oil. Natural and if you can handle the taste, it works great/

Slayer
02-26-2012, 01:05 AM
I was about to suggest clove oil, too. Awesome stuff.

Der Cute
02-26-2012, 07:53 AM
No matter what they fuckin hurt. Toothaches can make you pissy without you even knowing it.
Hugs and painkillers!

Misanthropical
02-26-2012, 01:23 PM
Oddly enough, with some of my toothaches I've applied some antiseptic mouthwash to both sides of the gumline of the affected tooth, and it's helped. I'm not sure why.

This works for me too (scotch works also) ;) I hope you feel better soon.

Bright_Star
02-26-2012, 02:59 PM
This works for me too (scotch works also) ;) I hope you feel better soon.

I've had cramps from hell that didn't hurt this bad....lol.

thehuckster
02-26-2012, 04:07 PM
I've heard Orajel's great for toothaches. It's a lot like novicane, though, so you'll actually feel numb in the general vicinity of where you apply it, including your tongue.

MoonCat
02-27-2012, 03:46 AM

Because it's infected, and the antiseptic probably knocked the infection down a bit.

BrightStar, I hope you feel better soon! Tooth pain is horrendous...it's what finally forced me to go back to the dentist.

Food Lady
02-27-2012, 04:59 AM
I vote for continuing the ibuprofen, keeping it in your system. Just want to be sure your doc says 800mg is ok for you. (It is for most people, but there are differences). I have soooooo been there with the toothaches and stuff. My teeth get worked on more than my car!

TheSHAD0W
02-27-2012, 03:53 PM
Ice worked really well for me when I had an impacted molar.

I don't recommend ice for an abscessed tooth, it can exacerbate the infection, even when you're taking antibiotics.

Tama
02-27-2012, 07:17 PM
Just out of curiosity, how does ice make an abscess worse?

TheSHAD0W
03-01-2012, 01:00 AM
Bacteria are typically happier at temperatures lower than normal body temperature, and neutrophils, cells your body produces to fight infection, work much better at higher temperatures. This is why you get a fever when you're sick, it's your body altering conditions to improve its ability to fight disease.

Barracuda
03-02-2012, 01:01 AM
Don't use the aspirin idea unless you don't think the tooth can be saved. The reason that works is if there's a cavity, it kills the root of the tooth, killing the nerves but leaving the tooth itself dead. Please do check it out, I had a friend once who had an abscessed tooth turn into a brain abscess after the infection ate its way through into the skull.

Food Lady
03-02-2012, 02:41 AM
Update? Just wondering how the appointment went, if you had it yet.