PDA

View Full Version : Rifts : Chaos Chronicles


Mytical
05-21-2012, 09:01 PM
Middle of the Nevada Desert

"It's blasted FREEZING!" Complained agent Bronson. "Snow in the middle of the desert, who has ever heard of snow in the blasted middle of the desert."

"Ah shut up with the whining would you! Moan, moan, moan..all you been doing. We're dealing with Rifts for Pete's sake. You should know by now that anything is possible. Now lets find out where it is and shut it down so we can get to somewhere warm."

The two trudged quietly until they come to the foot of .. a mountain. A snowy mountain that shouldn't be anywhere near where they were.

Bronson looks at his partner "Flat for miles and miles, and suddenly a huge mountain not on any maps? Think we have found our Rift."

His partner nods. "Well it isn't going to close itself..lets do this." He starts climbing but doesn't make it far before something emerges from the snow. Humanoid, but not even close to human..in fact they were multicolored Snow Men.

"What the heck..Rainbow colored Snow Men?!" Shouts Bronson and shoots at one, but the bullets go straight through them. "Crud on a crud stick! Here we didn't bring Hanson, we really need hanson!"

"Yeah, a pyrokenetic would be nice, but I guess this is my gig right now." He starts to do something but Bronson grabs him.

"ARE YOU INSANE?! Snow, mountain, and you are going to use your power? Ever heard of an avalanche? Time to retreat and bring in the big guns."

The two retreat and call headquarters. "Ma'm. Hate to say it, but ever since we lost those two agents to the ice skating penguins and the three to those trolls..we need to call up some of the less used reinforcements..now!"

Jay 2K Winger
05-21-2012, 11:09 PM
Location: Company Lab

The room had the cluttered, busy look of academics and researchers and theoretical physicists everywhere, with various books and tomes strewn about, opened to various pages, with notations written in the margins, festooned with bookmarks. Whiteboards cover two different walls, and there are post-its and other papers and pictures tacked up onto the whiteboard where it hasn't been filled with various esoteric formulae and equations. As if that weren't enough, there is a desk with two different computers open, running computations and compilations, and a mobile whiteboard was on hand as well for yet more calculations.

The lab's occupant and primary user stood in front of the mobile whiteboard, a tablet in his hand as he copied some notes from it onto the whiteboard, a dry erase marker in his hand. He murmurs under his breath as he looks from the notes on the board to the ones on his tablet, making a face as he rubs at his brow above his eye-patch.

"Dr. Kisvalter?" someone calls from the doorway.

"Mister Kisvalter," the man corrects. "I haven't finished my dissertation."

"We found a Rift," the Company man in the doorway says. "A mountain of snow in the Nevada desert."

Simon Kisvalter looks up at this. "...interesting," he says. "Okay, give me a few minutes to prepare."

Location: Nevada - Snowy Mountain Rift

When Simon arrives in Nevada, he's sensibly wearing layers, with gloves ready in a parka. He looks at the snow men attacking and grimaces a bit. As one moves toward him, he points his hand as if aiming a gun. "Pow." There's a flash of blue light from behind his eye-patch, and a pulse of telekinetic force blasts the snow man apart.

Once he's certain he's not about to be overtaken by an attacker, he turns his attention to the mountain, flipping his eye-patch out of the way to expose the milky-white Shard beneath as he tries (once again, he sighs to himself) to will the Sight into working order again.

Chanlin
05-22-2012, 12:09 AM
Location: Ann Arbor, MI: Chris's apartment.
The loud blaring ring snapped Chris out of a restful sleep. He'd spent the better part of last night studying for a test and playing Diablo 3, most of it on the latter. In his half-sleepy stupor it crossed his mind that he hadn't set an alarm. The ring pierced his senses again. "Oh... it's that." He mutters.

The voice on the other end seemed insistent, something about rift... snow... Nevada. "Just give me the map coordinates and a few minutes to get some coffee." After hanging up he lazily dresses, puts some coffee on, and sits in front of his computer to plug in the coordinates to Google maps. A few moments later he pours the coffee into a thermos, grabs a winter jacket for his other half and grimaces. "Well here goes nothin'."

Location: Nevada Rift
Nearby the other agents and Simon a small hole opens up briefly and out steps a mousy woman of middling height with sandy blond hair and nursing a thermos cup of coffee while cradling the rest of it beneath the crook of her arm. "So... what's the situation?" She asks.

Kristev
05-22-2012, 12:26 AM
Location: Luigi's family house.

The home is the perfect combination of old Italian and old England, both past and present. It marries old world to traditional. There are lots of flowers, and three different cats, Luigi's pets. But the pictures of his parents have all been removed, and their bedroom is locked up.

Luigi is cooking dinner for himself, a basic pasta. The tarot cards are on the table, waiting to be used.
Knock! Knock!
Startled, Luigi checks on his garlic-parmesan bread and goes to the kitchen back door. He finds Kathleen, who's brought some spiced non-alcoholic wine.
"Is this a bad time?" Kathleen asks.
"It's never a bad time," Luigi says. "Not for you."
Kathleen smiles, and Luigi steps out of the way so she can come in. She enters, and puts the wine on the table as he closes the door.
"Why are all the pictures gone?" Kathleen asks.
"My parents faces," Luigi confesses, "I can't bear to look at them right now. It's just . . ."
He sniffles, but stifles it. He returns to the kitchen and concentrates on cooking. Kathleen goes over to him, and touches his shoulder.
"It's all right, you know. You can grieve," she says.
"I know the stages," Luigi said. "I'll deal with this when I'm ready."
Because she knows him so well, and is aware that he can flip from gentle rain to hurricane in a split second, Kathleen backs off. She goes to a cabinet and removes two wine glasses.
"Italians always have fabulous taste," she says.
"Yes, but Irish spirit is indestructable," Luigi answers. "I must admit, I didn't expect you to come tonight. You didn't have to."
"But I did," Kathleen stated, "have to, that is. We're like this." She crosses two of her fingers together, then carefully sets the two glasses on the table. "I know how hard your parents death has hit you. I'd be derelict to leave you on your own like this."
Luigi turned back to her, and looked at her with eyes that expressed appreciation.
"What about Elaine?" Luigi asked. "That's who you're dating, right? Won't she mind you spending all your time with me?"
"About that," Kathleen said. "I made a deal. She lets me visit you for dinner, she gets me to herself all Saturday. I think there's a new movie she wants to see."
"I wish you nothing but happiness," Luigi said.
Now it's Kathleen's turn to look at Luigi with eyes that express appreciation.
"Oh, excuse me. I need to use the loo," Kathleen said.
Luigi waves her dismissed, and she leaves. He removes the garlic bread from the oven, and finishes up with the pasta. Carefully, he brings the garlic bread to the table. Once that is done, he goes to the pasta and starts to scoop it out onto a waiting plate. He finishes up, and carries the plate toward the table.
"Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh h!"
The noise startles Luigi, and he drops the plate onto the floor. The plate shatters.
"Kathi!"
He runs out of the kitchen and into the drawing room, then into the hall. He sees Kathleen holding a broom from the bathroom to defend herself from a man in a suit who has walked out of Luigi's parents's bedroom. The man has lots of gear, including some kind of scanner in his hand.
"Ah, so you must be Mr. Cappilatto," the man replies.
Luigi cannot identify his accent, but it isn't English, Irish, or Italian.
"You may go, young woman," the stranger declares.
Kathleen looks at Luigi.
"The difference between Kathi and you is I invited Kathi here. I did not invite you," Luigi counters.
He approaches the man, and then stands before Kathleen, protecting her.
"Who are you?" Kathleen asked.
"And what are you doing here?" Luigi added.
"Your mother caused the rift, didn't she?" the stranger insisted. "Her participation opened the gateway to dragons. Lots of dragons. It took forever to slay them. A shame we don't have knights anymore. But then there's you, Mister Hurricane. You killed a dragon in one storm. How?"
"I don't know," Luigi said.
"Well, I do," the stranger declared.
He pointed his tracking device at Luigi's new necklace, the piece of the shard partially fused to his flesh. Suddenly, Luigi flipped.
"All right. Who do you think you are? How did you get into my parents's bedroom anyway? Who are you working for? And what do you want?"
"You," the stranger said.
"You can't have her!" Luigi argued.
"Ah, so she's your weakness," the stranger said. "Good to know. But to me, she's nothing. You're the one I want."
"This has gone far enough," Kathleen protested. "You weren't invited, mister. You have no right to be here!"
"Indeed you don't," Luigi said. "I think you'd better get out of here now before the next person to feel my hurricane . . . is you!"
"You misunderstand," the stranger said. "We want your help in tracking and shutting down the rifts. You are your mother's son. Such traits should be passed in the family. What she had in her, you've got in you."
Luigi crossed his arms.
"Get out!"
"Fine," the stranger said. "But I think you should know that we know everything about you, Luigi, and the woman, too. There's a lady named Elaine Winslow, isn't there?"
Kathleen gasped, and covered her mouth. Luigi glared angrily.
"Are you threatening her?"
"Not yet," the stranger stated. "Cooperate, and nothing will . . ."
"Luigi, don't!" Kathleen shouted. "Let's just ring up the police."
"No," Luigi said. "If I help you, no harm comes to Kathi or her lover. At all! But I'll make myself quite clear. You think you can just come into my house and threaten my best friend, or her paramour? Not if you want to see tomorrow, sir. If I can kill a dragon, I can certainly kill you. Is that clear?"
A small wind and a little bit of rain arose into the room, with Luigi's anger.
"Perfectly," the stranger said. "I'm so glad we can be friends, sir. Good night to you. My lady."
The stranger then excuses himself, and walks out of the house. He steals a slice of garlic bread on his way out. Luigi calms down, ending his hurricane.
"Now I have a mess to clean up," Luigi says.
"A bigger mess than rain and water," Kathleen said. "Who was that jerk?"
"Did he hurt you?" Luigi asked.
"No," Kathleen said. "He just scared me when I saw that locked door open."
"He'd better never bother you, or your girlfriend, again," Luigi said.
"Thank you," Kathleen said. "Why didn't you call the police?"
"First, they'd take forever to show up, and secondly, I don't think cops can take care of his kind of trouble. Thirdly, I have my own way of finding answers now."
Luigi returned to the kitchen, and used his tarot cards to find out exactly what was going on. Kathleen went back to the bathroom and used all of Luigi's towels to clean up the water he made.


Location: Nevada - Snowy Mountain Rift

Luigi also arrives in Nevada. He also wears winter clothing on top of his normal clothes. He has already introduced himself to his newfound comrades, including his procession as a nurse practitioner (meaning he can diagnose as well as prescribe.) It certainly comes as a surprise to Luigi to see the snow men, but he holds back. None of his powers are of any immediate use at this point, unless there's an animal around.

"Wow," Luigi remarks as he witnesses the use of power Simon's part.

Luigi looks around to see if there are any normal animals nearby. He also watches Simon, uncertain of what he's doing. Then Luigi notices a woman arriving with coffee, asking about the situation.
"At the moment, we do not know," Luigi stated. "Can you shed any light?"

Jay 2K Winger
05-22-2012, 12:37 AM
Location: Snowy Mountain Rift - Nevada

Simon doesn't turn as the others arrive, still staring in the direction of the mountain, scanning it up and down with his eye-Shard, but then he sighs, turning around. The others would see the milky-white Shard there in place. Barring a sudden activation of his Rift Sight, it would remain so; otherwise, there would be a blue-ish glow to it.

"There's a Rift somewhere nearby," Simon replies to Luigi's question. He indicates the mountain and the snow it is generating. "Hence the rather incongruous weather and mountain in the middle of the Nevada desert." He nods at the scattered remnants of the Snowman he blasted apart, "And it's evidently creating a semblance of life. Fascinating development."

Suddenly aware that neither of the other two Shard-possessors probably knew who he is, Simon offered out a hand. "Simon Kisvalter."

Mytical
05-22-2012, 01:17 AM
The rift sight of course reveals that the new visitors are Shard Bearers. Otherwise the energy is everywhere, the rift must be huge..and the snow is filled completely with Rift energy. Every last flake is alive, but at least only a bit of it is walking around. The Rift itself is at the top of the mountain, only way to close it is to get to it.

Only a couple thousand feet up, with monstrous creatures trying to kill you the entire way. The other two agents meet up with you, and introduce themselves.

"Agent Bronson. I am a communication expert, with the ability to cause earthquakes. Don't think my ability is much help here I am afraid. Though I can probably help keep Frosty and his crew off your backs."

"Agent Lin. Sonic disruption, sound manipulation, and sonic redirection. Like Bronson, my ability is a bit dangerous to use in these conditions. Any help I can give though, just let me know."

Chanlin
05-22-2012, 01:18 AM
The woman sips at her coffee and then pulls a pocket watch out from her coat pocket and give it a shake, "Blasted thing, I'm done using my ability for now...." she seems to be ignoring the others... gives the watch another shake and sighs. "I Suppose for now I'm Christina. I can warp space." She says with a rather perturbed look on her face. She glances off in the direction of the mountain the rift is producing. "The mountain is fluctuating in size, and its moving, but just slightly." She looks around at all assembled, "Any idea what triggered this one?"

Mytical
05-22-2012, 01:25 AM
Bronson raises an eyebrow. "Guess your sort of new to this game. You figure out what triggers any Rift, you let us know. We are not even sure why they started, let alone what causes them. Don't think we have a sleeper* around..which is a good thing."

((* Sleeper - Somebody like the characters who is asleep/dreaming when the rift forms and could control it when they wake up. As the area is empty of anything but maybe lizards and such..chances are no humans besides the group around))

Chanlin
05-22-2012, 01:31 AM
"I thought they all needed sleepers for crap like this" She gestures to the scene at large... "Shows how much I know. Well I think I can get to the mountain, but I don't think I have enough juice left to get anyone else useful up there. Though I could get a closer look with a lot less effort. That still doesn't help us close it. Thar us unless you just happen to be experts at closing rifts."

Kristev
05-22-2012, 04:55 AM
"That's assuming a sleeper must be human."
Anyone who listens to Luigi talk will realize his accent is clearly English, not Italian.
"I must admit, my powers won't be much help here, in this wintery environment, either. By the way, I'm Luigi Cappilatto, Nurse Pracitioner."

He looks up at the mountain.

"I thought the American West was a great desert. I knew Rifts could introduce new predatory species into an environment unprepared for their arrival, but I didn't realize it could also alter ecosystems in such a way. These things clearly should be shut down."

Luigi walks ahead, just about two feet.

"I would not reccomend going up there alone, miss, Christina, you said?" Luigi asked. "We don't know exactly what we're dealing with yet. Sadly, I don't know anything about closing Rifts. My mother was able to detect one, but I'd rather not get into that. But, I'll tell you what I can do if you like. I make hurricanes, which I don't think is a good idea here. I can also make a healing rain, talk to animals, reflect energy, and I can read cards. To be honest, I'm not much of a fighter. My place is as a healer. So, is there anything you'd like me to do?"

Mytical
05-22-2012, 05:09 AM
"Actually" says Bronson.."You might be exactly what we need. Sealing a rift is easy, just can take awhile." He looks at Christina. "Can you teleport these two" he points to the other two of you "to the top? We will give one this device that seals the rifts. The other will reflect any attack that comes their way." Looking back at Luigi.."Think you can handle that?"

Kristev
05-22-2012, 06:16 AM
"I can try, sir," Luigi stated. "I'll do my best."

Chanlin
05-22-2012, 01:53 PM
Chris nods, "I'm fairly certain, but I used up quite a bit of power getting here. I'm certain I won't be able to get us out of there if things go bad."

Jay 2K Winger
05-22-2012, 02:19 PM
Simon regards the other two new arrivals, nodding to both Luigi and Christina. "I have telekinesis, something I've taken to calling Rift Sight, and... another ability that is most definitely not going to get used here." He shrugs to them. "And like they said, if you can find out what causes any Rift, let us know. And let me know. If I can complete a Unified Rift Theory, I could devise a way to stop them from occurring ever again."

He looks around at the snow, scooping some up and poking at it with a finger. His Shard glows in his eye socket. "There's Rift energy saturating this area. And these?" He dusts his gloved hands off, letting the flakes fall back to the ground. "They're full of it. Like they're alive." He glances at a distant shape of a snowman and 'fires' another telekinetic pulse at it, knocking its head off of its shoulders. "But they're hostile, and who knows how this unnatural evolution may continue if the Rift stays open?"

He nods. "Give us the device," he says. "And get us up there, whether Christina here does it or Wilson does." Being familiar with the Company, and having used Wilson to get to Nevada, Simon is quite aware of what Wilson can do.

Chanlin
05-22-2012, 02:51 PM
"The rift is at the top of the mountain right?" Chris asks. And without waiting for confirmation she steps forward. A few moments later a few feet in front of the group a man sized "window" appears showing the top of the mountain. "After you." She gestures.

Jay 2K Winger
05-22-2012, 03:07 PM
Simon takes the Rift-sealing device and steps through Chris' gateway. He pulls his parka's hood up as the cold winds on the top of the mountain hit him. Once the others come through, he pauses. "So who should work the device? Like Bronson said, it may take some time for it to close the Rift."

He knows that he's got the best small-scale offensive abilities of their group-- Luigi's hurricane-summoning ability is a bit too broad-scale-- but he's also the one of their group who knows the most about the Rifts, and almost doesn't want to pass up the chance of seeing another one get sealed so he can collect data...

Mytical
05-22-2012, 06:50 PM
Bronson says. "If we can all go, I will. Everybody else just keep those ... things off of me. If only a couple can go, then the one who can reflect attacks will defend, and you will close the Rift."

Chanlin
05-22-2012, 07:33 PM
Chris nods toward the wormhole, "I don't have to go, so if everyone wants to go before me we will see how many people can get through before I run out of power. With any luck we will all get through."

Kristev
05-22-2012, 08:44 PM
Upon learning that the snow itself is alive, Luigi takes off his scarf, then re-wraps it around his nose and mouth to prevent inhaling any.

"All right," Luigi remarked. "Best of luck to us all. Best not to ingest any of the snow. Possibility of toxic impact."

He steps into the portal, then comes out, and steps just a little bit ahead, cautiously and carefully.

"So you're trying to study the Rifts. I can tell you the Rifts appear to respond to psychic energy," Luigi informed Simon. "Since they also respond to dreams, this should not be a surprise. I'm just not quite sure how. Don't ask." Suddenly, Luigi snapped his fingers. "Brainwaves. If it's internal to external, external to internal, or both directions, we don't know, but brainwaves, especially those of the subconscious level. I wonder how Alpha waves would phase the Rift. Those are mostly used consciously, but are great for bio-feedback. Beta waves handle thought and concentration. Gamma waves are useful in meditation. Delta waves may be best. They're found at the deepest levels of sleep. Maybe it works on the Theta wave. We know next to nothing about that one. If you want to study the Rifts, brain waves may a good place to start."

He watches the snow men carefully.

"By the way, I advise against being so eth . . . so ra . . ." Luigi snaps his fingers. "So geocentric. This evolutionary pattern is unnatural to us, but I'm sure to them, it's perfectly ordinary and we're what doesn't belong. Perhaps they're only hostile because they don't know where they are."

Mytical
05-22-2012, 09:01 PM
Everybody but Chris is through, and surprisingly there has not been any real drain on the energy. For some reason everybody's crystals seem to have more energy then when they arrived..which has NEVER happened before.

Bronson nods. "Just keep em away from me. I'll seal the Rift."

Sure enough the snowmen start closing in, more and more forming to close in on the group.

Jay 2K Winger
05-22-2012, 09:34 PM
Simon looks at Luigi at this. "I had considered that brainwaves have an effect on controlling Rifts, with an appropriate focus," and he taps at the Shard in his eye, "but that still doesn't tell me how they're formed. Controlling them and closing them is fine, but what I'm after is stopping them from forming in the first place."

On the mountaintop, he regards the snowmen, and-- while pulling his winter outfit's scarf up around his face-- says, "Lost and confused they may be, but this may just be emergent behavior. At any rate, we have to defend our world, and not worry about another. One world at a time."

While Bronson works on closing the Rift, Simon's Shard glows brighter as he starts to fire off pulses of telekinetic force to discorporate the snowmen. As he's channeling his Shard's power a lot more for this, his body seems to be glowing under his outfit, a blue glow filling his skin.

Mytical
05-22-2012, 09:40 PM
Each pulse he fires seems to energize, not drain his shard. More, the pulses seem to be getting more powerful with each shot. His Rift sight shows something that has never happened before..the energy from the mountain is funneling into the shards.

Kristev
05-22-2012, 10:00 PM
"Perhaps it's multi-directional," Luigi suggested. "If active brainwaves have an impact on them, maybe negating nearby brain waves, or blocking them, will weaken the Rifts. Perhaps even close them."

Jay 2K Winger
05-22-2012, 10:03 PM
Simon pauses as he feels his Shard topping itself off like that. The glow in his hands and feet is getting brighter, to the point where even his clothing is starting to do it as well. He can feel the energy tingling across his nerves as he fires another pulse at a lunging snowman.

"This Rift," he says aloud. "It's ... topping off my Shard." He concentrates and releases an omnidirectional pulse of telekinetics to push as much snow away as he can, then turns to look at the Rift itself, trying to see what might be causing this.

Mytical
05-22-2012, 10:14 PM
Bronson nods "Good theory, but um..can we save the philosophy till after the Rift is closed and the snow men who want to chew our heads off are handled? I only need twenty more minutes."

A few of the snowmen start throwing ice shards (razor sharp) toward the group.

Also, the burst emitted is much stronger then it should be..clearing out a wide cone in front of you. Then a bit of pain shoots through you..your body is not use to this much power, it is going to be harder and harder to use your ability..or control it. As for your Rift sight, the energy is pouring from the rift to the snow, and from the snow to the shards.

Kristev
05-22-2012, 10:20 PM
Luigi will counter the ice shards with his reflection power, turning the ice shards back at the snow men, or as many of the shards as he can.

Mytical
05-22-2012, 10:22 PM
Something strange happens..it not only pushes back all the shards, but the snow in front of you..and the snowman in that direction.

Kristev
05-22-2012, 10:24 PM
"Something's wrong," Luigi remarks, "it's never been this powerful before. You're right about the Rift."

Jay 2K Winger
05-22-2012, 10:49 PM
Simon nods, wincing and rubbing at his eye-socket. "Keep it as simple as you can," he says, firing another small pulse to clear off more snowmen. As he uses more of his abilities, he can feel the energy building up in the Shard, grimacing as he wonders what he'll need to do to bleed all that extra energy off. As the ice-shards start flying, he is instinctively folding a telekinetic barrier around himself and then expanding it outward to block others from reaching the rest of the team.

Mytical
05-22-2012, 10:57 PM
Bronson yells "DONE!" as the Rift slams shut. Only to unleash a powerful energy bust, that slams into everybody (even those not on the mountain). Every shard glows with energy, lit up like a christmas tree. The flow of extra energy disappears..and the snow suddenly becomes normal..the snowmen disperse..but there is still a giant mountain and snow in the middle of a desert.

Kristev
05-22-2012, 11:08 PM
"Is it normal that these Rifts backfire like that?" Luigi asks.

He looks around the group.

"Has anyone been hurt?"

Chanlin
05-22-2012, 11:16 PM
(ooc: Gonna do some retro posting since I missed a bit)

Chris steps through the wormhole behind everyone else mildly surprised to find that his power source hasn't drained. While the others speculate about the origin of rifts and such he/she pulls out the pocket watch again and opens it looking at it. The crystal appears to be completely black instead of its usual clear color with a dark center. "This is all certainly quite odd." About that time the rift is closed send out the shock wave. Chris is thrown a few feet from where she was standing landing in a snowdrift. He stands up dusting off and bends over to retrieve his thermos when he realizes that he is himself again. He gives a sheepish grin "Well this is awkward."

The others would see Christina blown away and land in a snow drift, and Christopher stand up in her place.

Kristev
05-22-2012, 11:21 PM
"That is strange," Luigi remarks. "From woman to man in a single moment. Androgenous, possibly. Ma'am, sir, uh, Chris. Are you all right?"

Chanlin
05-22-2012, 11:41 PM
Chris nods, "I'm fine, actually, better now that I look like me again. The other me, Christina, is a result of using my ability." He shakes his head as if to clear his thoughts, "My real name is Christopher, but I've always gone by Chris... and so did she..." He trails off.

Jay 2K Winger
05-23-2012, 12:06 AM
Simon is knocked down into a snowdrift by the backlash of the Rift's closure, but when he rises, his Shard is still glowing brightly in his eye socket. As he gets back up, his skin is still glowing brightly. He's grimacing. "Damn damn damn damn," he mutters, sounding strained. "Got a bit of an overload," he says, and turns away from the others, firing off a number of fast pulses of telekinetic energy into the air, not aiming at anything specifically. Once he's stabilized, the glow in his skin fades, though his Shard is still glowing brightly. "...better," he sighs.

He turns back and blinks as he sees Christopher standing back up. He looks him up and down, and then nods. "...interesting," is all the scientist says. He puts his eye-patch back on, though the glow from his eye-Shard is still evident beneath it. To Luigi's question about the Rifts, he says, "To the best of my knowledge, no Rift has behaved like that one. And I certainly don't recall many closing in that manner."

He frowns. "This is troubling. Thus far, Rifts have always deposited whatever they were going to deposit, then close themselves and leave behind a Shard. More to the point, there's normally a Sleeper involved, and they certainly don't repower Shards like that." He sighs. "Great. I'll have to completely rewrite my equations. I hate it when a constant becomes a variable."

Kristev
05-23-2012, 12:35 AM
"Perhaps there's a magnifying agent?" Lugi suggests. "Something to empower this particular Rift that isn't present normally. Say, as a possibility, that something around here has some psychic ability." He turns to Chris. "Simon strikes me as a scientist, and I am a medical professional. Are you scientifically minded, as well?"

Luigi looks around to see if there are any further snow men around. If they are still there, he will watch them. If they are not, he will slowly begin looking around for a shard.

Chanlin
05-23-2012, 12:49 AM
"Actually I'm a law student at Michigan University and a gamer geek." He gives a slight grin. "If these things always leave behind a shard shouldn't we be looking for the shard this one left?"

Mytical
05-23-2012, 06:08 AM
With the Rift Sight, tracking down a Shard would take mere moments. It would have otherwise taken years to comb through a mountain looking for something no bigger then the tip of a pinky. Of course without it's sleeper, the shard is without power...and it doesn't seem to be recharging even slowly like most shards. ((Shards are useless to others (normally), only its sleeper can activate or use it)). It has a carving on it (also odd) of what looks like to be a wave.

Jay 2K Winger
05-23-2012, 03:58 PM
"I am a scientist," Simon confirms. "Theoretical physics. One of the many particle geeks hoping to be the one to find the Higgs boson." Then he looks away, looking troubled, "Or I was, until I ... kind of broke... Long Island."

Simon pulls his eye-patch up long enough to find the Shard, digging into the snow and pulling the object up. He frowns as he looks at it. "Strange," he says. "Of course, Shards don't have power without their Sleeper," he notes aloud, "but they still do recharge themselves like all Shards do. This one isn't."

He holds it out so they can see it as he turns it over with a finger, finding the carving. "...also odd. None of the Shards I've seen have had any decoration like this."

Chanlin
05-23-2012, 06:01 PM
Chris takes a look at the shard, "Maybe it ran itself entirely out of power super charging us?"

Mytical
05-23-2012, 07:15 PM
Over the radio "We are sending transport, but this one might be easy..might not be. A Rift has opened in Alaska. We have a second sun forming there now..no other signs of anything dangerous though..yet."

Transport arrives. Bronson shakes his head "Another Rift this quick? Wow. Also..what the heck are we going to do with this mountain? I can probably shake it down I guess. Then bring in clean up crew to clear away the rubble..."

Jay 2K Winger
05-23-2012, 07:52 PM
Simon frowns at the word of another Rift. "So soon? Highly unusual." He grimaces and pulls out a smart phone from his parka pocket, punching in his data. "I'll send this back to my computers at the lab, see if I can get some projections going."

He shrugs to Bronson. "I just study them and do what I can to stop them getting out of control. Clean-up's always been up to other people. Good luck."

Simon steps up as transport arrives, ready to depart.

Chanlin
05-23-2012, 08:45 PM
Chris sighs, "I suppose we better take that rift sealing thingy with us then?" He joins Simon waiting on the transport.

Kristev
05-23-2012, 09:45 PM
Luigi looks at the wave-like pattern on the shard.

"It makes me think of water. This is very strange, though I don't know very much about these Rifts."

Luigi is worried as he finally understands what happened to Long Island, and that he's in the presence of the cause. Still, he holds his tongue despite a sudden shiver of nervousness.

"A second sun? In Alaska? That is something we do not need to see! Strange. Water first, fire next. Any bets on earth or air for the third one?"

Luigi also joins the others, waiting for the transport.

Chanlin
05-23-2012, 10:00 PM
At the mention of a third rift Chris glares daggers at Luigi, "I would like to go home some times this century. Let's hope this second rift is the last for awhile."

Jay 2K Winger
05-23-2012, 10:04 PM
"Agreed," Simon says. "These Rifts are dangerous enough even with less frequent occurrences. We most definitely do not want the frequency to speed up."

Mytical
05-24-2012, 02:54 AM
You arrive in Alaska..and it is warm. A miniature sun sits high in the sky, the rift on the ground opened toward it. The rift is massive, easily four times larger then the one they just came through. The temperature is on a steady climb.

((Right now, it is roughly 89 F. Every few minutes the temperature will raise 1 degree))

Of course this means a couple of problems. One can't chance stepping into/onto the Rift..nobody is sure if these things are one way or not. Two, the area around the rift is starting to flood as the snow/ice of the area melts. Making for muddy areas or areas with flooding.

Almost immediately things start to go wrong for the group. Your powers are now reversed. Reflection ability would actually draw attacks/etc toward you..making you a living bullseye, etc. Also (maybe thankfully) your shards start loosing charge without being activated.

Jay 2K Winger
05-24-2012, 03:23 AM
As soon as they step out of the gateway into Alaska, Simon rocks in surprise, and the glow in his eye-Shard goes out as his Rift Sight shuts off. "What the hell--?" he grunts, and quickly pulls the scarf off and unzips his parka and loosens his clothing underneath. He looks around. "Seems safe enough. Who has the Rift Closer?" he asks.

Chanlin
05-24-2012, 05:02 AM
(ooc: no one was officially given it, but run with it since I asked about it :p )

Chris brings the device around, "Got it. Sure hope closing this thing gets rid of the extra sun. Would be so hard to explain that away."

Mytical
05-24-2012, 05:48 AM
Despite it's size, the Rift is very easy to close, and while the sun does not immediately vanish..the temperature starts dropping very quickly. The sun visibly shrinks rapidly. A shard falls from the sun, again totally devoid of all energy..not seeming to recharge..and this time with what looks like a flame symbol.

Things seem quiet, and soon HQ gets ahold of you, lets you know that things are clear and you can either come in or head back to your own homes..and sends the transport specialist to you. ((Right now your shards are without power, but they are recharging normally))

Jay 2K Winger
05-24-2012, 02:22 PM
Simon, being that he's working closely with the Company, takes both Shards and returns to his lab. He takes readings off the Shards and makes notations in his databases and equations before turning them over to the Company for safe-keeping. He has sleeping quarters on-site at the Company facility when needed.

He's quite troubled by the aberrant behavior of the two Rifts in question. None of the documented Rifts had ever behaved in such a way, nor had they ever formed without a nearby Sleeper.

Simon looks over his data and runs his calculations, hoping that some information will come up to give them something, to guide them to a "point zero" which might explain the Rifts' occurrence.

Chanlin
05-24-2012, 02:39 PM
Chris goes back to the HQ as well as a 'Just in case' measure. Upon arrival he sets up in a temporary bunk in which he brings out a Lap Top and Go Bag from 'hammer space.' After getting settled he continues his game of D3 from the previous night.

Mytical
05-24-2012, 08:34 PM
Simon discovers that the two Rifts throws off the current 'time table' of expected Rifts. A general idea of when (though not where) Rifts were to occur had started to form, but these two do not coincide with that time table. The 1st (the snow/mountain rift) also was around 25% larger then the average rift, while the 2nd (the sun rift) is the largest recorded Rift..a good 10% larger then the previous recorded largest rift.

As he is analyzing the data, he notices the two shards have similar size and shape, and one of the ends of the one matches up with the opposite end of the other. (making a shard twice as long) There is also two more 'slots' (which would make a + sign) for two other shards. No rifts were reported, nor does it seem any are forming outside of the current expected time frame..it could be that they formed but were so small they were missed..(it's happened before)..or that they have yet to form.

That night, where Chis is..

Chris has a very restless sleep, every time he closes his eyes, he sees a Rift, but it is not normal (not that any rift can be called 'normal')..this one has large red eyes..and seems to be watching/staring at him.

Chanlin
05-24-2012, 08:49 PM
Chris sits up with a start... "Ugh... too much Diablo." He mutters. He gets up shuffles off to a bathroom and splashes some water on his face and then wanders the facility until he happens across Simon's lab... (ooc: tag, up to you if he's still up Jay)

Jay 2K Winger
05-24-2012, 09:33 PM
Simon considers the data he's recovering. "I hate it when calculations are thrown off like this," he sighs as he makes notes of the timeline being thrown-off, filing reports with the Company to keep them abreast of the happenings. The size of the Nevada and Alaska Rifts concerns him, as do their aberrant properties.

He again consults the map on the wall. He'd stuck pins in every location that had experienced a Rift, with various colors of string linking some of them to fit a timeline or possible pattern, none of which had resolved themselves into something concrete. He selected a new set of string-- this one a dark black coloration-- and tied the two ends to the pins for Alaska and Nevada.

Simon massaged his temple by his eye-Shard. He had to hold out hope that one day he'd get a true constant for his Unified Rift Theory.

Chanlin
05-24-2012, 10:01 PM
Chris shuffles into the lab and looks at the map, "Couldn't sleep either Doc?"

Jay 2K Winger
05-25-2012, 12:36 AM
Simon glances back to see Chris entering and sighs. "It's not that I can't, it's that I don't need to." He sighs. "Since Long Island, I've found I don't need to sleep as much as I used to."

He turns away from the map and walks over to his mobile whiteboard, jotting down more equations and formulae and then calculating through them. "So I spend the time trying to work out my theories and figure out what's going on with the Rifts."

Chanlin
05-25-2012, 02:00 AM
Chris sighs, "I see." He pulls out his pocket watch and thumbs over the engraving. "Odd the things these rifts do. Have you ever heard of something erased by the rifts coming back?" He keeps looking at the watch rather than at Simon while waiting for an answer.

Jay 2K Winger
05-25-2012, 02:24 AM
Simon pauses and looks over at Chris as he speaks. He considers this. "I'm not recalling off the top of my head... let me check the database. It's not complete, by any means, but let's see." He taps a few things into his tablet, checking the Company records to look for any other Rift activity like Chris is describing.

Kristev
05-25-2012, 04:18 AM
Left on his own when they get back to the base, Luigi marvels at the speed with which things have happened. He was far from surprised that this shard had a symbol of fire on it. Now the big question is, would the next one concentrate on air, earth, or the Asian variant, wood?

He sits in a dorm room back at the base, and he ponders this as he eats dinner. That last rift left him uncertain what to do. Quietly, he keeps to himself for a while, wondering what the meaning of all this is.

And while he is alone, Luigi decides to get some answers. He uses his mother's tarot cards.

Mytical
05-25-2012, 05:23 AM
Simon's search turns up nothing, but then the last two Rifts have behaved out of character..so who knows what might or might not be possible.

Back where Luigi is. The cards reveal nothing this night, but he gets the feeling he is not alone. A voice, slightly oriental, emerges from a corner that not two seconds ago was empty. "Forgive one for any intrusion, but I have come to set right a grievous wrong."

A male about 5'6", dressed in what almost resembles a ninja outfit except for a mask can now be seen. The mask is a partial one, gold, of a Bengal tiger. It does not cover the mouth or chin, but the rest of the face is entirely hidden.

"It has come to our attention that one of our agents has .. over stepped his bounds." The figure bows, hands out, in a gesture of supplication. "Please forgive, he has been dealt with and will no longer be bothering you or your loved ones. You are free to depart as you wish, and no ill shall befall you or your loved ones from us. My master never would want somebody who joined under duress, and apologizes profusely for any inconvenience. He asks how this can be made right."

Kristev
05-25-2012, 06:30 AM
Luigi becomes recognizes the stranger, collects his cards, and puts them back in his pocket.

He is, at first, alarmed by this intrusion, but calms himself. Learning that Kathleen and her partner are no longer under threat is a great weight off his mind, and he lets himself relax.

"I would like to stay. These Rifts are too dangerous. I can't just leave now, now that I know a little more about them. As to how to make this right, I will need a little time to think this over. Would it be possible for me to meet your Master and discuss it?"

Mytical
05-25-2012, 06:37 AM
The figure nods. "However, my master is unable to travel, you would have to go to him. That is why he sent me in his stead."

Jay 2K Winger
05-25-2012, 01:12 PM
Location: Simon's Lab, The Company

Simon shakes his head to Chris. "I'm not finding any information describing a Rift doing what you're asking." The man with the eye-patch shrugs. "The problem is the lack of a constant," he says, gesturing at the various notes and formulae and equations covering the several whiteboards around the room, and the map with the strings, and the post-it notes and other signs of a high-functioning scientist who lives for his work.

"Every time I think I've found some aspect of the Rifts that remains constant enough for me to base a theory around, a Rift pops up that turns that constant into another variable." He points at the map, and the black string connecting the last two Rifts. "Those two completely threw off every theory I've come up with. I'm gonna have to start from scratch."

Simon sighs, then taps his tablet. "Something interesting, though." He shows Chris two CGI graphic versions of the Nevada and Alaska Shards. "See the way these two seem to fit together?"

Chanlin
05-25-2012, 02:32 PM
Chris nods, "Heh, but it's supposed to be three chipped gems to make a flawed one." He chuckles slightly, "I guess there is a first time for everything." He looks at the board with the pins in it again. Doing an old man voice, a passable Deckard Cain impression, he drawls, "The Burning Hells believe that the true state if all things is absolute chaos. That is why we can not allow Diablo to have his way." He chuckles again. Simon would note that he still has the pocket watch out and is still rubbing the engraving with this thumb, though this appears to be an unconscious act.

Mytical
05-25-2012, 05:34 PM
Well, as almost expected the Rift alarm goes off again..should have gotten some rest when you had the chance. It indicates not one, but two have appeared. One in the ocean off the coast of California, and another in Canada. The topographical map shows that these two makes a perfect X...

All three of your characters suddenly have a horrible headache for a split second, and an intense feeling of WRONGNESS.

If you are going to the new Rifts, need to know who is going where.

Kristev
05-25-2012, 05:59 PM
Luigi nearly collapses from the headache, but he stabilizes himself.

"We'll discuss this later, all right? Earth and air, here we go. Would you happen, by chance, to know where the other two are? I should be with them."

Mytical
05-25-2012, 07:23 PM
The figure nods. "Follow." he takes Luigi to the other two.

Jay 2K Winger
05-25-2012, 07:33 PM
Simon clutches his temple in pain as the headache hits him and he frowns as he feels that sense of Wrongness.

He grabs a phone and calls the Company control center. "Rift alarm," he says, "where is it?"

"Not 'it,'" the person on the other end says, "'they.' Two of them."

Simon pales slightly as he hears that. "Two?" He swears under his breath. "Is it too much to ask for a single constant about these damnable Rifts?" He grabs his tablet. "Give me the lat and long for them."

Once this information is passed along, he plots the information on his tablet, then stares a bit. "Right. I'll be set to head out soon. Give me a minute.." He hangs up the phone and, aware of Chris' presence, he goes over to the map. Two more pins are taken out and put in the locations. California. Canada. And then, suspecting the connection, he takes another length of black string and connects the two new Rifts to make the 'X' shape.

Chanlin
05-25-2012, 08:25 PM
Chris swears audibly when the headache hits and then glances back at the map. "I get a feeling this one is gonna be bad." He says. When Simon places two pins, "Dammit Luigi ya just had to go and open yer mouth." He sighs, "I hate to jynx things, especially since we have more pressing matters, but what's gonna show up here?" He points at the spot where the two threads cross.

Jay 2K Winger
05-25-2012, 09:50 PM
"I was wondering the very same thing," Simon says. He puts this location in his tablet and picks up the phone to call Company control again. "This is Kisvalter. I've just uploaded something into the central databanks. While I and the others deal with the new Rifts, you need to get someone out to the location I just uploaded and be ready. I have reason to believe that we're going to get another Rift in that location soon, and I suspect it will be a bad one..."

Mytical
05-25-2012, 09:55 PM
The Central Command gives you the bad news. "Besides shardless agents, and the agents who have specific jobs ((Ie utility agents)) there is only Shadow Tiger.."

About that time..

Luigi and the Oriental with the golden tiger mask arrives. "My apologies for interrupting. I was asked to guide this person to you."

Chanlin
05-26-2012, 12:00 AM
Chris looks at Simon and Luigi, "So split up or stick together?"

Kristev
05-26-2012, 10:20 AM
"We should stay together," Luigi replied. "Thank you, sir."

Chanlin
05-26-2012, 05:10 PM
"So where to first then?" Chris asks making ready to open a wormhole. "Someone have one of those rift sealing thingys?"

Mytical
05-26-2012, 06:06 PM
The man in the golden tiger mask produces one from..somewhere. "Allow me to assist please." He goes to each persons wrist, and touches them. "Now you may call a Rift sealer, and store it, by thought."

"If you need assistance, I may be able to help. If it would please you to have my humble aid." he bows.

Kristev
05-26-2012, 08:37 PM
"Thank you, and I would welcome it," Luigi stated.

Jay 2K Winger
05-27-2012, 05:12 AM
Simon looks at the man in the tiger mask and then at his wrist as he's bestowed with this ability.

"If we don't have anyone to spare with regards to these Rifts," Simon sighs, "let's go take care of the one off the coast of California, then. Something tells me that one may be more difficult to deal with, and we should take care of that one first." He rubs his head again. "And make sure they monitor that parallax-point on the axes between the four recent Rifts. I'm positive something big's gonna happen there."

Mytical
05-27-2012, 05:34 AM
((assuming all agree to this))

The group is transported to a ship ... that is on dry land. At first it seems that they might have been transported to the wrong location...but no. What was once water..is now an island. Not only an island..but one that looks like some Jungle island. Heavy foliage..the whole nine yards. Even a nice little Volcano. No sign of a Rift however.

There is another small issue...Luigi seems to have Chris' abilities (and the draw back that when he uses his abilities he becomes a female), Chris has Simon's abilities, and Simon has Luigi's abilities. It is unknown how this affected the man in the tiger mask.

'Shadow Tiger' (since nobody has gotten his name) says "We..have .. a .. problem. Get..as .. far...away... from...." but it is lost in a growl. He is starting to grow larger, hair starting to form on his body...

Jay 2K Winger
05-28-2012, 06:07 PM
Upon arriving on the island, Simon flips up his eye-patch to use his Rift Sight-- but finds that instead, he's gone blind in that eye instead. He blinks and looks at the others. "Something's wrong--" then he sees Shadow Tiger starting to... change.

"Let's get some distance, and then try to find the Rift!" he says, as he starts to back away from Tiger at speed.

Kristev
05-28-2012, 06:39 PM
"I agree," Luigi replied.

He retreated a litlte bit, finding that he felt quite strange.

"Definately the earth element here."

Chanlin
05-28-2012, 10:39 PM
Chris nods, "Aye, something is really odd. I can't see out of my right eye." He follows the others. "Any ideas Doc?"

Jay 2K Winger
05-28-2012, 10:50 PM
Simon looks at Chris. "You must have my powers. My telekinesis won't work, and my Rift Sight is borked, too." He grimaces. "Count yourself lucky that the Sight's down at the moment. I never could control it. It'll give you a headache if it starts working..."

He's still moving to keep distance between him and Shadow Tiger.

Kristev
05-28-2012, 11:35 PM
"So that's what's going on. Our abilities must have been switched around."

Chanlin
05-29-2012, 01:05 AM
Chris sighs, "Oh goody. Now I have powers I'm not as familiar with." He looks around, "Well hopefully the rift sight will kick in and we can find this rift and get out of here." He sighs, "By the way whichever of you has the uncanny knack for knowing right where we are, that's my power.'

Mytical
05-29-2012, 04:02 AM
Chris' Rift Sight activates (causing a headache as Simon said) and shows the Rift is of course right over the volcano. They hear some howling coming from where they left Tiger. It is definitely a wolfs howl, and with a code name like Tiger, it is doubtful Tiger would normally turn into something like a wolf..yet he seemed familiar enough with the power to get the group away from him.

As the group makes their way toward the volcano, and the lines of power become clearer to the Rift Sight, there is a huge line of power headed off back the way they came..but other small ones ahead of them. Now the whole island of course is glowing (not unusual as it just came from a Rift), but that seems to be fading very slowly..a good sign.

One of the small lines of power looms in front of them suddenly. With a snarl and a snap of teeth, they are confronted by a 7ton monster one time known as a Tyrannosaurus Rex.

Chanlin
05-29-2012, 04:54 AM
Chris jumps back and gives that half laugh that says hes scared stiff, "At least its not a six foot turkey..." then he goes stock still. "I just hope the movies were right."

Jay 2K Winger
05-29-2012, 01:06 PM
Simon freezes as he sees the T-Rex loom out of the jungle ahead of them, and instinctively tries to telekinetically grab it and hurl it out of their way--

--only to instead get a sudden patter of rainfall around him. He blinks in surprise. "That... was unexpected." He grimaces. "Dammit, I forgot I don't have my powers."

He looks up at the T-Rex. "Er... nice king of the dinosaurs... we come in peace and don't want to be eaten?" he hazards lamely. He has no way of knowing that Luigi's powers allow him to speak to animals and be understood...

Mytical
05-29-2012, 07:57 PM
The T-Rex looks around, hunting, but indeed does not seem to see the group standing still. It seems to hear something and goes thundering off in another direction. It almost seems..terrified. Another howl, this one closer, from behind the group. It appears that the Rex is not the only creature hunting the group..and something tells you that the thing behind you is MUCH more dangerous as the Rex.

((Your powers transfer again (still don't have your original powers however)))

Chanlin
05-29-2012, 08:10 PM
As the rex runs off and Chris's headache fades he sighs in relief. "I think the rift was off that way." He points in what he believes to be the general direction. Not knowing for certain has him off his game as he is used to knowing these things.

Kristev
05-30-2012, 06:17 AM
"We're changing again! And more importantly, something is still after us. We should go ahead and tell each other what we can do. I can communicate with animals, and read my mother's tarot cards. I can also bring down a rain that cures illnesses, which you just did, or a hurricane. And, as you know, I can reflect force back. What can the rest of you do? At least my medical training isn't a power the rift gave me. That's not going to change. Why don't you go ahead and use the hurricane? The other two of us must stay right by your side when you do, because you are the eye of the storm. Literally."

Jay 2K Winger
05-30-2012, 01:36 PM
Simon looks at the others. "I have this thing I call 'Rift Sight.' It lets me see where Rift Energy is coming from and where it's gone. I also have telekinetic abilities. Also, I can tear things apart on the quantum level, but doing so tends to cause a huge explosion, from which I'm the only one safe. So DON'T TRY IT. It's how that explosion on Long Island happened."

He looks at Luigi. "So I had yours at first." He turns to Chris. "What about you? I get that you turn into a girl if you use your powers, but what are they?"

Chanlin
05-30-2012, 03:59 PM
"I manipulate spatial relations. I always know how far away something is and where I am. You've seen me open wormholes at the last rift. I can do that and connect any two points. I can also open a wormhole to nowhere and store things there or take them out. The amount of power it uses up is relative to the size and mass of whatever goes through the wormhole. For example that rex would probably take the better part of your power to send somewhere." He sighs, "The girl thing just seems to be the universes way of laughing at me. I can also send just one of my senses off in a direction without opening a wormhole. Doing that leaves you unable to use that sense around you though."

Mytical
05-30-2012, 07:18 PM
A little time passes as you are explaining to each other what you can do ((you can continue the conversation just make sure to note what happened before this post, and what after)). You are near the base of the volcano, with the rift right overhead..and that is when you all three have your own powers back ((it cycles through every 30 minutes to an hour..in 30 minutes it will shift again)).

You see a haggard looking Shadow Tiger ((who appears to be himself)) stumble into where you are. "I can not stay long, I do not know when I will once again have my masters power and curse. I will go as far away from you as I can until I change. Whatever you do, do not let what I turn into catch you..it would not end well. I will contact you when I am myself once again." and he is off before anybody can reply seeming to vanish in an instant.

The rift is atop the volcano..it would be a hard climb.

Jay 2K Winger
05-30-2012, 07:45 PM
Simon actually sighs in relief when he gets his powers back, even if they come with a free headache with every Rift Sight. He looks up at the Rift, grimacing. "Right. I could... probably fly myself up there with my telekinesis, but I'm not too sure about being able to lift another person..." He glances at Chris. "But you could just distort space and teleport yourself up there, couldn't you?"

Kristev
05-30-2012, 09:18 PM
"I'd hazard a guess he's what drove off the Rex," Luigi stated. "Since we have our own powers back, we'd better work quickly. I don't have any way of flying or teleportation, so what do you fellows want me to do? Start a hurricane? And, have you ever tried to destroy a rift at the quantum level? Or have you ever put a rift away into your interdemensional black hole?"

Chanlin
05-30-2012, 11:02 PM
Chris looks up at the rift and sighs, "I can do you one better." And suddenly he is a she again. "Just be ready with that sealer thingy." She gauges the distance and before them opens a wormhole which is perfectly lined up and sized to match the rift itself. "There, now we should be able to seal it from right here."

Jay 2K Winger
05-31-2012, 01:03 AM
Simon gives Luigi a Look. "Rifts are already unstable, literal rips in the fabric of the universe. Besides, what I'm doing is essentially fission at the quantum level. The energies released would be enough to wipe this island off the globe, but it would also kill you, Chris, and then me once I fall into the middle of the Pacific Ocean."

Then Chris opens the portal. The scientist nods and summons his Rift-sealer. "Handy trick he gave us," he notes, and works the device to close the Rift.

Chanlin
05-31-2012, 01:26 AM
Christina gives Luigi a level look as Simon goes to work, "I don't think trying to put one of these things inside an inter-dimensional pocket is a great idea. Kind of like putting one bag of holding inside another..." she trails off.

Mytical
05-31-2012, 05:39 AM
You are able to seal the Rift easily..when suddenly a realization hits you. Chances are the island and its inhabitants will remain..and that means the volcano..if the other two are any indication..the shard will drop from the Rift..if the Rift is over the volcano....

Jay 2K Winger
05-31-2012, 01:25 PM
Simon pauses as the realization hits him as he's half-way through sealing the Rift. He takes his hands off his Rift-sealer. "The Shard! If we seal the Rift now, the Shard will fall in the volcano! I need that Shard to see if I can find out what's going on with these strange new Rifts!"

He turns to Luigi, "You get your Rift-sealer ready and aim it through Chris' space-hole." He nods to Chris. "You keep that hole open until I give you the okay." That said, Simon takes a deep breath and peers carefully through the hole, "I'm going to see if I can make a kind of telekinetic 'net' to catch the Shard with..." And he does just that. "When you're ready," he says to Luigi.

Kristev
05-31-2012, 04:31 PM
Luigi readies to use the rift-sealer, and he uses it at the appropriate time.

"Let me know if you can't get it," Luigi said. "My hurricanes can create forceful enough winds to deflect the shard away from the volcano."

Chanlin
05-31-2012, 05:33 PM
Christina watches and waits, "I can only maintain one wormhole at a time, so this I all I can do unless you all fancy standing at the mouth of the volcano."

Mytical
05-31-2012, 07:44 PM
The shard is successfully caught. Almost as soon as it is, a call from headquarters comes in. "Ok the other rift has already closed..but we have some left over problems there. In the form of living tornadoes. I'll have Shadow Tiger clean up this mess, you three get ready to go tornado wrangling. Try to find that shard especially."

Shadow Tiger shadow ports* (Character sheet will be put up shortly for Shadow Tiger) in to where the group is standing. "I have a theory as to why these Rifts have been able to form without a sleeper. All the Rifts we've had have had sleepers on this side..what if there is a sleeper on the other side of these? Something to consider. I will stay and clean up here, these creatures are of no challenge to me..and I can meet you back at headquarters." He splits into about 6 identical copies of himself. Each of which bows. "If that is acceptable." All six say in unison.

Jay 2K Winger
05-31-2012, 07:57 PM
Simon sighs with relief as he feels his telekinetic "net" catch the Shard and pulls it back through Christina's hole. He holds it up to examine it briefly, then shoves it into a pocket in his jacket, which he zips shut.

He listens to the call from HQ, then looks to Luigi. "You're the closest thing we have to a weather controller. Not much I could really do to a tornado."

Chanlin
05-31-2012, 08:23 PM
Christina closes the wormhole, "If that's true, then why do the shards appear on this side?" She asks Tiger.

Mytical
05-31-2012, 08:26 PM
"I believe the shards appear on both sides of the Rifts, not just this side." he answers.

Kristev
06-01-2012, 03:05 AM
"It is very logical," Luigi suggested. "We should get going toward the other rift then."

Mytical
06-01-2012, 05:11 AM
The teleporter arrives, and opens a gateway to the next location.

For those stepping through...

It is a small town, and you would expect chaos..but though people are watching the tornadoes there is no sense of panic. The tornadoes are lazily roaming around, and of course there is damage and such..but currently the tornadoes seem to be avoiding hitting people or things. You notice that these tornadoes have what look like to be eyes, a mouth, and two arms.

Kristev
06-01-2012, 08:13 AM
"Maybe the tornadoes can be reasoned with," Luigi suggested.

Jay 2K Winger
06-01-2012, 12:59 PM
Simon is at a loss for words as he sees the "living tornadoes" and how they appear to be avoiding causing damage. He gapes a bit, then nods to Luigi. "Right. You're Mr. Weather Guy. You reason with them," he says, a little too hastily. "We'll wait here."

He does quickly look around to see if he can spot the Shard for the now-closed Rift with his Rift Sight.

Chanlin
06-01-2012, 01:27 PM
Chris had teleported in with the others and is just as dumbfounded. Back to his old self he glances around, "Because all tornadoes can be reasoned with." He says slightly bemused. He seems to be genuinely thinking about what to do, "Why do I suddenly feel like I'm in a road runner cartoon?"

Mytical
06-01-2012, 06:34 PM
The Rift Sight leads you to a young girl..but she looks very out of place. Seeming like she came straight from the 50's or so with her outfit. It is a white dress with a pink bow around the middle, and her hair is in pigtails. You see the shard around her neck on a necklace. Is it possible the fourth one actually had a sleeper on this side? The last 3 didn't..but then again they have defied all logic so far..why stop now? Also this shard is fully powered. ((The girl looks about maybe 9-10 years old, blond hair green eyes))

As for approaching the tornadoes..that is actually easy. The first one you approach says. "Finally one who is not afraid of us. We mean you no harm. Can you tell us how to return to our realm?"

Kristev
06-02-2012, 04:15 AM
"I believe you were brought here because of that rift," Luigi said. "Perhaps if you tried to go back through it? Or else had a way of finding another one that led back to your original home. For now at least, welcome."

Chanlin
06-02-2012, 07:34 PM
Chris looks at the talking whirlwinds, "Ya know, if I hadn't seen all this other crazy crap I wouldn't believe this." Then he smiles, "But this must mean that things that go through the rifts end up somewhere." Addressing the whirlwinds, "So, where are you guys from? Do you remember how you ended up here?" He motions to the girl with the shard to come over while he's at it.

Mytical
06-02-2012, 07:56 PM
"We are from the Elemental Plane of Air. One moment we were enjoying floating in the vast sky of that plane, the next .. we were here. Everybody was in a panic, they frightened us..and I am afraid that we might have hurt some people..and destroyed some of your items."

As for the girl, she looks at you. "You might want to try please, or at least you know..asking instead of calling me like some animal." She definitely does not SOUND 9 or 10 years old.

Kristev
06-02-2012, 08:53 PM
"Where are the people you hurt? That's my first responsibility."

Mytical
06-02-2012, 08:57 PM
"Some others took them away in a loud .. metal thing." (probably an ambulance..would be at the nearest hospital)

Chanlin
06-02-2012, 09:00 PM
Chris frowns at the girl and pats her on the head, "Aww does fido have a stick up her ass?" It's clear that he and sarcasm are good friends from his tone. He gives a slight grin, "You might want to try not assuming that everyone you meet is beneath you."

Jay 2K Winger
06-02-2012, 09:17 PM
Simon, as Luigi addresses the Air Elementals, is looking around with his Rift Sight, and then pulls his eye patch down as he closes his eyes, thinking carefully. He shuts out distractions as he tries to work out a way to re-open the Air Rift here so the elementals can go home. Most of his research has been about closing Rifts or preventing them, but he surmises that it might not be impossible to reopen them either. Doing so would be undeniably dangerous, however...

Mytical
06-02-2012, 09:17 PM
The girls eyes light up, and Chris is pushed back by an unseen force. "Try that again and next time it won't be a love tap. How about you try treating people like people, and get off your high horse?"

Chanlin
06-02-2012, 09:46 PM
"Excuse me, I'm on a high horse? Since when did a simple motion become belittling?"

Kristev
06-03-2012, 02:50 AM
"So?" Luigi asks to the air elementals. "If you tell me about your home, I can tell you about this plane. It would seem that, for the time being, you are here to stay until we can find another rift to your world."

Then he looks to the girl.

"Unless you could help. Please, could you help them?"

Mytical
06-03-2012, 04:20 AM
Simon's Rift sight does show something, but not how to reopen the Rift..as it is not all the way closed. It is small, and closing, but it is still open..barely. Currently about the size of a half dollar coin, too small for the instruments to pick up.

The girl huffs. "Calling me fido is not insulting? Since when?" she raises her eyebrows. When she turns to Luigi, however, her demeanor changes about 180 degree. "I wish I could, but my abilities revolve around the creation and manipulation of air. However, while I personally can't..alone..we all could together..if the Rift had not closed. Enough shard energy would have kept it open or enlarged the Rift big enough for them to return." She goes from the gentle, pleasant person back to ... whatever it is when she looks at Chris. "Of course with apeboy there being a jerk, doubt he would have helped."

Chanlin
06-03-2012, 05:57 AM
Chris opts to ignore the girl and instead wonders out loud, "I wonder if my ability can open up holes to other planes. I haven't really tried, but I do know that I can open up a hole to an extra dimensional space." He sighs, "Probably not safe to try..."

Then he looks at the girl. "Look, we got off on the wrong foot. My initial point was that you seemed to interpret this..." he makes the earlier motion he used to motion her over, "as being treated like an animal." He pauses. "I'm not sure how anyone would interpret it that way. I see nothing wrong with it. Had I snapped my fingers or whistled at you I might agree with your initial call at my being rude." He pauses again, "Maybe my reaction was a little over the top, but at the same time I think we were both in the wrong. You for assuming I was being rude, and me for actually being rude in reaction to that. Either way I'm willing to call a truce if you are." He holds out his hand to shake hands with her.

Mytical
06-03-2012, 06:02 AM
Suddenly, like she was with Luigi, her demeanor changes. "Fair enough. I can agree to a truce." she shakes hands daintily. Something..odd happens ((this will happen to anybody the first time they touch the little girl)). Chris sees her as she actually is ((Her Rift powers have changed her appearance..unlike Chris however, even when not using her powers or the shard is out of charge..she is stuck like this..see ooc for description))

Chanlin
06-03-2012, 06:10 AM
Chris's face twists up after they shake hands, "I'm Chris by the way." He says after he recovers, "I know it's not usually polite to ask, but given your um... unique condition, how old are you in actuality?"

Mytical
06-03-2012, 06:12 AM
The girl nods. "Perfectly understandable for you to ask. I am 27 really. I seem to be .. stuck like this however."

Kristev
06-03-2012, 09:40 AM
"Am I missing something here?" Luigi asks.

Chanlin
06-03-2012, 10:00 AM
"She's like me, only her change seems to be permanent..."

Jay 2K Winger
06-03-2012, 03:55 PM
Simon stares hard at something, his Shard glowing brightly in his eye socket, so brightly that his skin around it seems to be glowing blue itself.

"The Rift's not gone," he suddenly blurts out. He points where it is. "It's so small. I hadn't realized they could be so small." There's a brief flash of annoyance in his voice and on his face. "Dammit! I can't even have THAT as a constant, can I?" He takes a deep breath and calms himself down.

"It's about the size of a half-dollar coin, and it's closing, I can see that much." He looks up at the air elementals. "I don't suppose you can squeeze yourselves down into something about," he holds up his hand, fingers making a circle about the size of the Rift, "that big?"

Mytical
06-03-2012, 05:45 PM
The girl waves a dismissing hand. "No need, just as Rifts can be closed they can be made larger. The device to close a Rift just drains off the energy, causing it to close. Feed it energy, it enlarges. Just..don't ask me how I know that. If we focus our powers on the rift, it will increase in size long enough for our guests to go home."

Kristev
06-04-2012, 04:18 AM
"These things seem more like quantum physics. Logic and rules start breaking down on the sub-atomic scale. One would probably do better studying folklore or sorcery than science to combat these things. One hurricane coming up. The rest of you might want to get right next to me. Air elementals, have you ever been through a hurricane before? Do they have water where you come from?"

Mytical
06-04-2012, 04:31 AM
"No water, that is the elemental plane of water, but hurricanes. I know, I know..don't try to apply logic to a mystical plane of existence."

Chanlin
06-04-2012, 04:39 AM
Chris moves closer to Luigi, "I guess I just direct a wormhole or something at the rift?"

Kristev
06-04-2012, 05:28 AM
"Yes. And stay as close to me as you can. I am the eye of the hurricanes I summon."

Mytical
06-04-2012, 06:00 AM
"I thought my powers with air were impressive." the girl seems impressed. She starts doing some sort of Martial Arts routine, almost like a dance. You see small gusts of wind forming around her. As her routine goes on the wind continues to gather. The odd thing is it does not seem to affect anything..yet. Not so much as putting a hair out of place for those in the path of the gathering air. It is very smooth and elegant. Finally she seems to have gathered all the air she desires, and unleashes it at the spot where Simon has suggest the rift to be.

Kristev
06-04-2012, 07:12 AM
When everyone is ready, and as close to him as they can get for the protection this provides, Luigi begins the hurricane. (Anyone who didn't get close to him is going to get hurt.)

Jay 2K Winger
06-04-2012, 01:43 PM
Simon stays close to the others, his Shard glowing brighter, the glowing spreading over half of his head as he concentrates his telekinesis on the spot where the Rift is, as if trying to pull it open using it. The glowing now takes his outstretched hand as well as he feels the wind picking up. "I just hope the hurricane won't do too much damage once we're finished!" he shouts over the wind.

Mytical
06-04-2012, 03:19 PM
There is no worries about that, the energy drains almost as fast as it is gathered, right into the rift. Opening it..slowly at first, then quicker. Soon it is of a size for the elementals to pass through. It drains your shards completely, but they are now where they belong.

Almost on que you get a call from headquarters. "This is an emergency call, we have agents down at ((Coordinates that would be in the exact center of the other four rifts)). We have a hostile entity, and it is more then they can handle. I repeat, agents down .. we need back up!"

Jay 2K Winger
06-04-2012, 03:24 PM
The glow winks out from Simon's Shard and his skin as soon as the elementals are through. He sags, breathing heavily and then cups his ear to hear the call from Company HQ. He groans. "I might have guessed. We have a priority call." He glances at Chris. "I think you can probably guess where."

Chris had been in Simon's lab at the Company, and seen the 'X'-shape made by drawing lines between the four recent Rifts.

"Something nasty's come through, and they need help." He sighs. "Great. Let's go."

Chanlin
06-04-2012, 06:22 PM
Chris throws up his hands, "I'd like to get some sleep some time this century!" He huffs. "I'll try to get us all there." With that a wormhole pops up and Christina is standing next to it playing like one of the models from The Price is Right motioning at the opening, "After you." She flashes a cheesy smile.

Mytical
06-04-2012, 07:10 PM
The wormhole winks out immediately, the energy of the shard completely drained. The transportation expert appears, and whisks you all way to your destination instead. Chris even returns to Chris, as there is not enough power for the change to the female.

When you arrive..there is a man standing in the middle of what seems to be a war zone. He is holding a wolfshead cane, dressed in early victorian garb. He has slicked back black hair in a pony tail, and slightly pale skin. Quite a few military personnel are laying on the street, some obviously dead..others just injured.

"I will say it again." the figure says dusting himself off calmly. "I have come for what is mine. Interfere and die."

Jay 2K Winger
06-04-2012, 07:35 PM
Simon considers the scene when he arrives on the scene of the carnage. He sees the totally not ominous neo-Victorian guy who is absolutely not probably the devil (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BlatantLies) and grimaces. His eye-patch is back in place over his Shard in his eye socket. "Oh, this is promising," he says dryly.

Mytical
06-06-2012, 05:10 AM
The man perks up as the group teleports in. "Ah, now that is more like it. Ask and ye shall receive." He eyes the girl, then Simon, then back to the girl. "Oh my dear, so unfortunate for you." You think you blink or something because he is then standing beside the girl ((There is a blurry trail for a split second from where he was standing to where he is standing however)). "You have something of mine, but do to the nature of these stones..I can not claim it while you live. It would just come back to you."

The girl stands straight, you can tell she is afraid, but she doesn't bat an eye. "You don't scare me."

The man chuckles. "Spunk I like that." Then he gets serious. "You should be afraid little girl. I am something that goes bump in the night. Something from mans darkest nightmares." A flash of .. is that FANGS? He draws back his hand as if to swipe at her..((This happens to fast for anybody to even blink)) but shadowy tendrils grab his hand and toss him back some. He lands on his feet, however, seemingly not to surprised.

"I am afraid, I can not allow that." Shadow Tiger steps from the shadows.

"If it is not my brothers lap dog." The figure dusts himself off again, after breaking the shadowy tendril. "You know you can not stop me."

"I know, and I do not plan on being the one to stop you." He turns to the others. "Start evacuating everybody, especially anybody with a shard. NOW."

Chanlin
06-06-2012, 07:21 AM
Chris being out of power doesn't need to be told twice and scrambles off to find people that need evacuating.

Jay 2K Winger
06-06-2012, 01:11 PM
Simon finds himself wishing he'd purchased or acquired a gun somewhere along the line as he watches Mister Ominous (for lack of any other name for the totally-not-the-devil-himself-probably) threaten Miss Airbender (since no one had gotten a name for her).

When Shadow Tiger turned up to stop him, Simon likewise didn't need any further telling. His Shard was still drained after opening the Air Elemental Rift, so he just ran to some of the fallen Company agents and quickly checked them for signs of life. Finding someone who was still alive, he grabbed him under the arms and dragged them over to Chris.

Kristev
06-06-2012, 10:46 PM
Luigi will assist if anyone needs medical care. If there's nothing he can do, he will begin helping with the evacuation.

Mytical
06-07-2012, 05:35 AM
((If anybody is still near where the initial confrontation is))

"He wouldn't dare. Too many innocents, with too much chance of collateral damage." Scoffs he-who-is-not-the-devil.

"Greater lives would be loss if you are successful." Shadow Tiger opens a shadow portal..and out steps..He-who-is-not-the-devil..only with wild hair and scraggly beard.

The new figure has two silver manacles on his wrists, with strange symbols ((Symbols that while Luigi would not know WHAT they mean, would recognize as ancient gypsy symbols if he saw them)). Almost as soon as this new person is through the gate, the manacles snap open and fall to the ground. He starts transforming into..you guessed it..a werewolf.

Immediately he-who-is-not-the-devil says. "YOU!" Then turns into a bat, and beats a hasty retreat as fast as his wings can carry him.

As soon as Shadow Tiger is sure he is gone, he opens another shadow portal, and throws the werewolf through it, and picks up the manacles. Over the radio. "Threat averted. All clear."

Kristev
06-07-2012, 09:17 AM
"What on earth was all that?" Luigi asks.

Jay 2K Winger
06-07-2012, 01:42 PM
Simon stares as He-who-is-not-the-devil-but-apparently-a-vampire retreats in the face of Shadow Tiger's heretofore unseen 'master' (he assumes), He-who-is-not-the-devil-but-actually-a-werewolf. Simon mentally makes a note to get or assign names to these two figures so he doesn't overly complicate things-- then finds a simpler way to denote them in his brain.

"Did I step into an Underworld movie at some point?" Simon finally blurts out. "So we've seen Marcus and William, is there an immortal father lurking somewhere on a ship, overseeing everything?"

He grimaces as he gets a headache just from thinking about it, which is blessedly different from the headaches he gets from his Rift Sight.

He takes a deep breath to calm himself, then addresses Shadow Tiger. "What. The FUCK. Is going on?" This is a clear sign that he's agitated. Simon almost never swears.

Mytical
06-07-2012, 04:00 PM
Shadow Tiger hesitates, but finally...

"You have just seen the two oldest Rift Shards in action. Sometimes the Rifts dreams...are nightmares. My master, Griffin Blake, and his brother Devon are two sides of the same coin. As you probably guessed..one is cursed to be a vampire, the other to be a werewolf. My master has sought ways to contain his curse, his brother to gain enough power to break the curse. Both seek the same thing, but in very different manners. Devon does not care about collateral damage, my master very much cares."

He pauses as if not sure to continue. "My master should be the one to take the story from here. It is not my place. You should get some rest first..if you wish..after that..I will take you to my master, and he will explain more. I assure you, as long as he is in his mansion, and wearing the manacles, he is perfectly safe to be around."

Mytical
06-10-2012, 07:49 PM
((You may still add to the scene if you want, just make sure to note that is what you are doing))

The next day, those who have questions for 'The Master' are greeted by Shadow Tiger. He transports them through the shadows. It is a very odd trip. Unlike the wormholes and teleporting done by Chris and the transportation specialist it is not instant. Instead you enter a void where you can't even hear your own heartbeat. It is somewhat disturbing to have every one of your senses cut off completely. It seems to take forever, but mere seconds later you step out into..luxury.

You are in some sort of mansion, in one of the (presumably) many Dens of the place. It seems to go on forever. One thing of interest is the walls seem to be made of silver, and runes (similar to the ones on the manacles) are carved into the walls. Standing facing away from the group is somebody who looks very much like the vampire you faced last night. The main difference is his hair has no pony tail..and is short cut. He has his behind him as well, and you notice the manacles firmly in place. They do not seem connected to each other, and no chains can be seen.

"Greetings, you have many questions I am sure. Let me see if I can answer them before you ask. If not, I will be happy to answer any I might miss. Please..have a seat."

The seats are very comfortable looking, and look OLD yet very well taken care of. Between the furniture, books, and odds and ends in this room..you easily estimate there is millions of dollars worth of 'stuff'. Just in this room alone.

"As Jarrod has probably told you," he turns around and there is one more glaring difference between him and the vampire from last night (though he is clean shaven now)..ice blue eyes (sort of a white-blue) reminding you almost of a full moon..including no pupils. "not all Rifts come with dreams..some come with nightmares. Approximately two hundred and fifty years ago, the first Rift arrived." This news would confuse Simon if he came, because the first recorded one was only about one hundred and ninety years ago. "It was huge, encircling the whole world."

He himself comes to sit and look unblinking at the group. The group will notice he does not seem to breath, and does not seem to blink..at all. "We had no way of seeing or detecting them at this time, so only two young boys were affected by this rift. The first, and last, that affected two dreamers at the same time. Myself, and my brother. We are cursed, as you have guessed. Outside these walls I am a beast, mindless .. only thing on my mind is my next meal. Which is why..I do not hate my brother. I KNOW the hunger, and he is trying in his own way to end that hunger."

"I digress, however. You see the Rifts became much smaller, and only happened occasionally at first, some passing with nothing happening at all. No dreamers around, and not big enough for anything to come through. As time passed, they got larger..and more frequent. I believe they are building up to another planet wide Rift. IF my brother can get the four shards you have recently found..he might be able to alter reality as we know it. We share a unique talent, not only are we totally immune to any power given by a rift..we can use inactive shards. My apologies, I do tend to ramble from time to time. While this would not bother nor affect me, as he would just send us back to before we acquired our abilities, and we would live normal lives..it would change everything for everybody else. People might not be born, people might not have died when they did. You might not even exist. I would not risk the world, to return to my innocence."

"As it is dangerous for me to leave this house..I must ask you to stop him. It will not be easy, for although he has all the strengths of a vampire..he has none of the weaknesses. Your Rift powers will be useless against him, at least directly..and he will seek to gain more shards..adding them to his own power..killing the ones who they belong to if needed. Whatever happens, however, you must not let him get those specific four..because if he does..he will be unstoppable. Right now, I am more powerful then he. He fears me. How much longer that will be true is anybody's guess. Find a way to shut down the Rifts..find a way to stop my brother..or..everything may be lost."

Kristev
06-10-2012, 08:07 PM
"If they happen without dreamers being present, then we can safely discard the theory that brain waves are involved. A vampire with no weaknesses. And our own powers cannot directly hurt him. There are so many questions. Short of me using a hurricane to throw rocks at him or calling every animal in the world to come and attack him en masse, I don't see what good I'd be able to do."

Luigi politely excuses himself, and makes use of the tarot cards, hoping to find a weakness they can use against the vampire.

Mytical
06-10-2012, 08:20 PM
The man nods. "If this was easy...I would have my normal contacts handle this. And..while we can not be harmed by Rift abilities, we are not exactly immune. Your hurricane might not HURT my brother, but it can for instance slow him down. He would still have to fight the winds to move. There are clever ways to use ones abilities that would work."

Luigi gets no help from the cards.

Jay 2K Winger
06-11-2012, 12:25 AM
Simon rubs his temple-- a familiar habit, indicative of his trying to make sense of the frequently-changing nature of the Rifts. "That long... these Rifts have been happening that long?" He shakes his head. "There are no constants with these things, are there?" he grumbles angrily.

"As it stands now," Simon says to the werewolf brother, "the Company has three of the elemental Shards. The fourth is in the hands of the girl we found at the location of the Air Elemental Rift."

He paces a bit, still rubbing his temple. "Our powers won't work on him? There goes the idea of tearing him apart on the quantum level..." He grimaces. "I've been trying to find a way to stop the Rifts," he says to the 'Master.' "But with no known constants, it's hard to come up with an equation that will work!"

Mytical
06-11-2012, 01:19 AM
"It gets worse," continues Griffin. "I believe this is not the first time the Rifts have come to our world. If my hunch is correct, they go in cycles. A strong one comes, alters reality..then many smaller ones come. Building stronger and stronger until another world wide Rift. Then they go dormant for a long time, only to come again. I have been studying these Rifts for a long time, and will open my library of knowledge on the subject to you. Believe it or not, as crazy as these Rifts are..I believe there IS a pattern. Finding it so far has eluded me..for a long long time. Figuring out that pattern, as complex as it may be, may be the only hope of shutting the Rifts down for good."

Kristev
06-11-2012, 05:19 AM
"There is one thing you could do. You could use your powers to demolish the land he's standing on or the vehicle he's in. I suppose I could create enough healing rain to saturate soft sand into quicksand."

Luigi doesn't say much else. He spends his time thinking, wondering.

What happens when he finally goes to sleep is much more exciting to him.

He's standing on Brighton Beach, preparing for a picnic. Suddenly, he has a vivid image of Kathleen walking out of the water like the birth of Venus, and yet not Kathleen. She is finally wanting to be his. Except that she's composed entirely of water. Luigi doesn't care and runs out to meet her, following his heart. The sense of peace is overridden only by the newfound sense of power. As he melds with his Kathleen, or this strange aquatic variation of her, he finds that he's melding with the ocean, too.

The dream ends, and Luigi is left with a deep sense of knowledge, knowledge from beyond the dawn of man, from the very ocean from which all life first evolved. (He's been medically trained. He would know evolutionary theory as medicine requires it to make any sense at all.)

But as Luigi awakens, he feels very different. It is not right. After a few moments, he realizes it is him. His flesh has been replaced by water. Understandably, Luigi freaks out and starts screaming for help, as he has never been through anything like this before.

Mytical
06-11-2012, 05:32 AM
((This happens after the meeting is over, btw and it is still ongoing))

Luigi wakes a second time, to find himself flesh once more. A dream within a dream it seems.

Kristev
06-11-2012, 05:53 AM
He responds by taking a mild sedative, not enough to put him back to sleep, but enough to calm his nerves.

Jay 2K Winger
06-11-2012, 01:17 PM
Simon nods to Griffin. "All right. I'm going to need all the data and information you may have accumulated about the Rifts so I can start running pattern analysis back at my lab. If there's a pattern there, I'll find it. And once I find it, I can find a way to stop them."

It's later, after finishing his deliberations with Griffin and returning to his lab-- where Simon hurriedly dumps as much of the data into the computers as he can, and has his programs start running algorithms, mapping them for later analysis-- that Simon feels tired enough to sleep. Since receiving his Shard in the Long Island disaster, Simon has generally required less sleep than most, but he needs it now. Distantly, his brain reasons that it must be due to the frequent activity and overtaxing of his Shard, but this part of his brain is silenced by the rest, which is trying to sleep.

And he does sleep. And he dreams.

He dreams of fire. Fire surrounding him in a forest, cutting him off, trapping him... only to find himself facing a beautiful female form crafted out of the fire. The fire-woman calls to him, and he finds himself going to her... embracing her... feeling the fires wrap around him, burning into him... until his form becomes fire itself, and as a sensation of Power fills him--

Simon awakes, gasping, then sits up, clutching a hand to his temple. That dream cannot have been a coincidence... He goes to his lab and pulls up the Company records, trying to find out what happened to the Fire Shard after it was recovered from Alaska.

Mytical
06-11-2012, 03:11 PM
According to the data, the Shards were taken to a secure facility in Nevada..where they promptly vanished. As he is trying to find where they might have gone, he notices three shards just sitting on the console next to him..they were not there just seconds before. One of them is calling out to him, the problem is .. everything he knows tells him that a single person can only have one shard..and can not get rid of a shard. The call is almost impossible to resist however. All he has to do is reach out, claim it, and it will be his..

It is foolish, it is crazy, and it is probably a huge mistake..but can he resist?

((Remember until you each discuss your dreams, the others know nothing about them))

Meanwhile Luigi feels the strong compulsion to get up and go ... somewhere ((Wherever the shards currently are)).

Jay 2K Winger
06-11-2012, 04:30 PM
Simon nods to himself as he sees the Elemental Shards were sent to the secure storage facility in Nevada-- until he comes to the addendum that they went missing. He's about to pull up the detail logs to find out more specifics when he feels the familiar twinge of a Rift Sight headache, but he keeps his eye-patch in place.

That's when he sees the three Shards there-- Water, Fire, Earth. The Shard inscribed with the Fire sigil calls out to him-- it practically GLOWS-- and he finds himself reaching for it--

--with a supreme act of will, he stops himself. He's not sure what's going on here, but this should be investigated before any hasty decisions are made. He rummages in the cabinets in his lab and comes up with three clear evidence capsules. Using a pair of tongs, he separates the three Shards and puts each in its own capsule, then putting them aside.

Possibly without realizing it, however, he has tucked the Fire Shard into a pocket of his lab coat. Not quite claiming it, but not letting it get away from him either.

Kristev
06-11-2012, 07:13 PM
Luigi goes and searches for the shards. He does not know why, only that he must find . . . something.

Mytical
06-11-2012, 07:45 PM
Luigi is lead straight to Simon..and without knowing how or why, knows exactly where the shards are, and which is calling out to him.

Kristev
06-11-2012, 10:21 PM
He goes to the shard without speaking to anyone first, and takes it. Only after he holds it does he begin to come to his senses.

"This shard is calling to me. It wants me to have it."

He puts it in his pocket.

"I am going to put this on, but I'll wait until I'm away from everyone else. There's something very strange with these shards, you see. I had the wildest dream. See, I was back home in England. On Brighton Beach, setting up a picnic while waiting for Kathleen. Next thing I know, Kathleen came to see me, except that she was made of water . . ."

Luigi then goes on to explain the entire story. However, it is still obvious he is under the effect of some kind of medication. Otherwise he'd be as wild as one of his hurricanes.

Jay 2K Winger
06-12-2012, 12:13 AM
Simon turns as Luigi enters his lab, which is where the Water Shard, at least, was still being kept. "I... wouldn't take that if I were you," he trails off as Luigi doesn't listen to him, and sighs. "Something strange is going on, I had this dream--" but he stops as Luigi describes his dream.

"Now something is definitely going on," he says more firmly. "I had a dream as well. I was in a forest, surrounded by fire, and this woman came out of it, made out of the fire, and..." He shakes his head. "The Fire Shard calls to me, as well, but I wouldn't claim it just yet. We don't know what is causing these dreams to come, because that two of us would have the same kind of dream and compulsion is NOT coincidental."

Kristev
06-12-2012, 03:40 AM
"Or of opposing elements," Luigi answered. "My mother once told me water counters fire, just as earth neutralizes air."

Realizing Simon is probably not following him at all, he whips his head back and shrugs.

"What? She was Romany. That's what they do. She said it came from astrology or something."

Jay 2K Winger
06-12-2012, 01:07 PM
Simon nods. "I'm not discounting anything your mother may have said. I'd be a fool to not consider any theories, since I still don't have one that fits everything yet. But I'm just saying there are still too many unknowns to risk claiming these Shards."

He paces a bit as he goes from whiteboard to map to whiteboard to cork board, tabulating formulae and equations as he goes. "Think about it. So far, we've only seen one Shard to a dreamer, right? What happens if someone claims a second Shard?" He turns and looks at Luigi. "Remember-- Griffin said that his brother is trying to claim these and if he does, it could unmake the last 250 years of history. Worse than that-- it could have the potential to unravel the fabric of space-time."

He grimaces, rubbing his temple. "I know all about those kinds of worries; I'm a theoretical physicist. My accident could just as easily have been at the Large Hadron Collider at CERN, not at the RHIC in Long Island. We know all about the worries people have about particle colliders of that size."

Simon finally stops moving, taking a deep breath. "We should just exercise caution, is all I'm saying. While I doubt either of us have the capability of unraveling space-time if we were to claim these other Shards, we still don't know what'll happen. Give me some time to see if the new data I got from Griffin will give us any insights."

Mytical
06-12-2012, 05:53 PM
About that time, they here a familiar voice. "You are wise to exercise caution my friends." It is 'Shadow Tiger'. "Though I may point out, hopefully without you taking it as an insult, us four combined are not as powerful as my Master or his brother." He steps from the shadows ((always assume he is SOMEWHERE in the shadows :p)). "I have brought a computer tablet that has access to all my Master's research, per his request."

The tablet is .. advanced to say the least. It is YEARS ahead of anything Simon has ever seen ((Though it is easy for him to use/access/etc)). It is already keyed up to a file called Atlantis. ((When you get a chance to read the file)) which states that the last time the 'cycle' happened..the second planetary wide rift happened .. the very advanced civilization of Atlantis was destroyed and sunk to the bottom of the ocean.

Jay 2K Winger
06-12-2012, 07:08 PM
Simon turns as Shadow Tiger appears, taking the tablet with a gracious bow. "Thank you. My eternal gratitude to your master for this." He marvels at the technology-- advanced, even by Company standards-- and quickly starts to skim through it. "Atlantis? Oh, how that would shake up so many stuffy professors at so many universities," he chuckles.

Time passes as Simon updates the data he has and collates it and analyzes it. A couple of sleepless days pass for him-- not that he needs the sleep, thanks to the changes that happened with his Shard-- while he works.

Soon, however, he is able to present some of his findings.

((Assuming that Luigi and Chris are present-- and Shadow Tiger, of course-- and maybe someone from the Company.))

Simon addresses the assembled people in his lab, which is still a complicated mess to see, but he's cleared off the mobile white-board at least and has made some notes on this.

"Griffin was right," he explains. "There is a sort of cycle to the Rifts. Many smaller ones, and eventually a big planet-spanning one that has the potential to change the world. These... Paradigm Shifts, I suppose you could call them, can be good or bad. Griffin's information seems to indicate that the second Paradigm Shift on record devastated a highly advanced civilization and destroyed it. Legends call that civilization Atlantis." He pauses to let that sink in.

"All this data does seem to point to another Paradigm Shift potentially approaching, so we definitely need to work on collecting more data to see if we can stall or even stop it." He rubs his temple a bit and then adds: "There's something else my analysis has uncovered that also bears concern.

"For all the lack of constants the Rifts and Shards throw out, there have been definite indications of one thing. For each Rift, there is a Shard, and for each Shard, there is a Dreamer. One to one, always." He raises a finger. "Except that's not the case. There are exceptions, and invariably, those exceptions turn out to be people who play a significant role in the course of history."

He indicates a series of pictures stuck on the board. "They tend to be either conquerors or spiritual or intellectual figures. Alexander the Great. Napoleon. Genghis Khan. Buddha. The Dalai Lama. Mother Teresa." He pauses, adding, "Nothing in Griffin's data indicates that Jesus was one of these exceptions, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was."

Simon spreads his hands. "There's still a lot of data to sift through, but this needed to be brought to everyone's attention. Especially since I think I have found out who some of the exceptions are this time." He looks to Luigi and Chris. "It's us. Me, Luigi, and Chris."

Kristev
06-12-2012, 09:42 PM
"Atlantis," Luigi commented. "Knowledge long lost to man. It makes perfect sense."

Luigi will assist Simon as best as he can. After all, Luigi is a scientist himself, albeit a medical one.

"There has also been some connection to high-functioning forms of autism to great artists and some great people. Aspergers is one possibility. Autistic people tend to live in their heads, daydreaming and obsessing only on single concepts. Could that play a factor in the shards?"

Chanlin
06-12-2012, 09:48 PM
(Feel free to add to this scene if you want, sorry for the long hiatus. Took me a bit to decide how I wanted to do this post)

During the meeting Chris had been completely silent. Anyone paying attention to him would note that he has the look of a person contemplating deep thoughts.
Afterward he heads off to his room to get some rest. A rest it seems that is impossible to wake him from. (Anyone going to find him will find it is impossible to wake him)

He dreams. He stands in the heart of a jungle, a giant man .. clad in jaguar pelts waits for him. "Our power is great..Fire it burns with passion and strength. Water..it soothes but is vast and endless. Air..directionless..but when focused none may stand against it. As powerful as they are, I am more powerful still. Yet, unlike their power..mine must be earned. No dreams of some female embracing you, and be done with it. No..you must defeat me in combat, and that is just the start. Your power will not be as great as theirs at first, but toward the end..they shall seem like children. They will have but one dream, you shall dream for the rest of your days. IF you accept my challenge. My road will be a harsh one, and there will be much pain and sorrow by the end. Do you accept?"

Chris gives him an odd smile and says, "Sure why the hell not."

The pelt-clad man responds, "Then defeat me in battle." And without warning charges Chris. Before he has any idea what is going on the man has Chris in a bear hug lifting him off the ground. A vicious suplex later Chris goes out... or at least as out as one can go in a dream.

In the real world Chris groans. A full day has passed. In the dream it takes him that day to recover.

The man approaches him again as Chris is just getting up and stretching out his sore joints. "Do you wish to yield?"

Chris eyes him and settles in a wrestler's pose, "Hell no, you blitzed me last time. It won't be so easy this time."

The two charge simultaneously and meet in a clash of sinew and grunting. Each is pushing as hard as he can, searching for a way to gain leverage over his foe. To the outside observer it would be clear that they are evenly matched. The two go on like this for the whole day fighting through the night like two warriors in the Epics of old.

As the sun rises on the third day the two break apart exhausted. In the real world Chris has been asleep without waking for 48 hours. His vitals are slightly elevated, but otherwise normal. He lets out another weak groan.

In the dream the two rest until nightfall and then both rise at the same time. This time the giant man does not need to speak. He can sense his opponents will. Without any need for formality the two clash again. Almost immediately the giant man's eyes go wide as Chris begins pushing him back. Seizing upon the advantage he steps inside the giant man's guard and twisting his hips levers the man up and throws him to the ground. Before he can react Chris leaps atop him and locks the mans arms. He struggles for a moment and then sighs, and for a moment Chris would swear he smiles, "You have the heart of a warrior. I yield."

At that exact moment the dream breaks and Chris sits bolt upright. It has been exactly 72 hours in the real world since he went to sleep. In the back of his mind Chris feels something luring him. He gets out of bed and follows it... just in time to arrive for Simon's explanation of his findings...

Mytical
06-17-2012, 03:34 AM
The group is awaken really early by a siren. "Rift is forming in New York Time Square. This is a priority one alert, ALL agents are to report to New York immediately!"

Kristev
06-17-2012, 08:56 AM
During the lull, Luigi immediately returned back to England and checked on Kathleen and her latest lover. He searches for the person that threatened he and Kathi in his home . . .

Also during the lull, he claimed the water shard, but doesn't seem to really be able to master it. Every time he tries, he gets frustrated or depressed.

Still, when the alarms go off, Luigi quickly gets ready to join the others and deal with the situation.

Mytical
06-17-2012, 12:29 PM
There is no sign of the person who threatened him, until one day he hears a news broadcast. The search for a missing person has ended in tragedy when the person's body was found. It appears to have been the victim of some type of beast attack, but they are baffled as to what kind of beast. When they show the victims face..it is the person who threatened him.

While he is unable to master the water shard, he finds he has access to two very useful abilities right off the bat. One involves his tarot cards. When he uses them, they become see through...and sometimes gives him glimpses of knowledge. Sometimes it is random, but sometimes very specific to what he seeks.

The other ability is a bit more .. direct in nature. He is able to form ice shards, razor sharp, at will.

As he is teleported to New York a very .. odd sight greets him. A tall green monster of a man fighting a tall blond guy. The green monster has to be around 10' tall at least and built like a brick wall. His muscles has muscles that have muscles. The odd purple shorts that are in tatters around his waist seem more comical then anything, however. The blond guy is wearing some crazy outfit, complete with helmet and red cape, and wielding a hammer that seems charged with electricity.

There is a zone of destruction around them, buildings have chunks missing out of them, cars are totaled or badly damaged, people are dead/dying/or injured.

Chanlin
06-17-2012, 03:59 PM
Chris after hearing all he has heard excuses himself home, after having claimed the Earth shard, which doesn't seem too difficult for him to use most of the time (there are still moments when he can't quite make it work exactly the way he wants).

He takes care of some little details catching up on any course work he's missed, making amends with professors and generally just being normal for a little while. When he gets the information about the Rift in NY he just sighs.

Upon arriving in New York and seeing the two foes combating each other he raises an eyebrow and just says, "Didn't I just see these two in a movie?"

Kristev
06-17-2012, 10:36 PM
Luigi's first move is to use his healing rain in as wide an area as possible. No one will be injured or dying any longer once the rain touches them.

Mytical
06-18-2012, 01:04 AM
When it starts to rain, the big green creature seems to get .. more angry. He looks at Luigi. "Puny man make Hulk wet! Hulk smash puny man!" He connects with a mighty blow to Luigi, one that by all rights should have killed him. Luigi doesn't feel any pain as he flies through the air. The rain most certainly helps, but there was .. something between the blow and him that absorbed the impact. Nobody is able to see where he flies off too.

He crashes through building after building, each time something absorbs the blow. He knows it is not his water shard..it is still not active. He should be dead. It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. He's not even tickled though.

He comes crashing down finally, tumbling end over end..still feeling not a bit of pain. He lands at somebody's feet, and hears the most beautiful music he has ever heard. It is soulful, it is haunting, it is lonely...and it is coming from a very familiar form. Standing above him is Griffin's brother, the vampire, playing a violin. He stops playing, reaches out his hand..and a mist flies from Luigi to him. Luigi is absolutely positive it is that mist that saved his life....

"You might want to get up, your friends will need you. Just .. do not expect me to save your life next time. After all..eventually I will come for your shard..." he pauses, laughs. "Shards I mean."

He turns and begins to walk away. Without turning around he states. "Ask yourself this however. The man who came to threaten you..my brothers lackey told you he had been dealt with yes? Do you think it a coincidence he was found mauled by what could only be an animal? Maybe, just maybe..you are on the wrong side."

Kristev
06-18-2012, 02:33 AM
"Curiouser and curiouser," Luigi said. "Thank you for saving my life."

He stands up, awed by the mist. Politely, he bows to the other person, and runs back to the group. When he gets there, he pulls Simon aside and informs him of the entire conversation.

Jay 2K Winger
06-18-2012, 01:42 PM
In the time that passes after his briefing into the 'Rift Cycles', Simon continues his research into the Rifts, still trying to find a way to potentially end the cycles completely and thus free the world from experiencing the chaos that the anomalies produce. He keeps the Fire Shard close to him, but doesn't claim it right away. His dreams, in those periods when he finally does sleep, often incorporate fire in some way.

The night before they ship out to Times Square, Simon finally does claim the Fire Shard, if only to be certain that it does not go into someone else's hands. When the siren blares and awakens him, and the reports come in, Simon has a terrible feeling. A Rift in New York? That brings back some very unpleasant memories. Specifically, it brings back the memory of the Long Island incident he had been a part of.

Even so, he heads to New York with the others, Simon gapes at the sight of the hulking green monster and the hammer-swinging warrior. He just nods in agreement with Chris' question. "As I recall, things didn't go so well for bystanders," he points out to Chris, and pulls his eye-patch up so he can look around with his Rift Sight, trying to find the Rift and/or the Dreamer that may be associated with it.

Mytical
06-18-2012, 03:16 PM
No Rift remaining, it must have already closed. However, your Sight does show that a Shard is present, and powered. It is not much of a surprise that it leads you to a young boy (actually young, not an older person trapped in a young body). He probably watched a Hulk Vs Thor show last night..and here it is. Now not having a Rift is not as big a deal this time however, as Thor can transport he and the Hulk back..IF the Hulk can be contained.

Kristev
06-18-2012, 06:31 PM
Luigi goes over to the boy.

"Are you all right?"

Mytical
06-18-2012, 07:22 PM
The boy, probably thinking he is still dreaming, is having the time of his life. "Go Thor go!" he is cheering. When he hears Luigi he laughs. "Of course I am alright..Thor won't let anything happen to me!"

Jay 2K Winger
06-18-2012, 07:56 PM
Simon glances at the boy, and shakes his head a bit. Great, the kid had seen Hulk vs Thor or something and so the Rift had brought them to life. At least Thor would be benign enough. The Hulk, on the other hand...

He turns and focuses his telekinesis on the Hulk, trying to lift the gamma-powered strongman off the ground to keep him from continuing his rampage. Hopefully things would calm down and maybe they'd get a Dr. Banner when Hulk stopped being angry...

Mytical
06-18-2012, 08:10 PM
He is impossibly heavy for his size. Even at 10' tall he should not weigh that much. It might be easier to lift the buildings around him then him. You get him off the ground, but your power shard is draining fast to keep him there.

Thor flies down, the Hulk thrashing "PUT HULK DOWN!"

"Easy Dr. Banner. Can you hear me in there? You need to calm down."

"PUNY BANNER NOT HERE, THERE IS ONLY HULK!"

"By Odin's Eye, he has never been this bad before. Banner can normally keep him in check if he is talked to!"

"I don't know where you went half-brother, but you will not avoid my victory! The Hulk is mine now, and he will crush you..and I will rule Asgard!" comes an odd voice from the Hulk.

"LOKI!"

Chanlin
06-18-2012, 08:13 PM
Chris grins and walks over to the kid, "That is so cool isn't it." He sounds genuinely excited since he's a comic book fan himself. "You know what would be fun. We should go meet Thor and the Hulk. I've always wanted to talk to them myself." He gently takes the kid's hand and will start to walk in the direction of the two heroes as long as the kid doesn't resist.

Mytical
06-18-2012, 08:15 PM
He arrives just in time to see/hear the above. The kid claps. "Now Thor has to find Banner and get him back with the Hulk!"

Chanlin
06-18-2012, 08:37 PM
Chris hopes in his mind Loki is just like in the comics and raises his voice, "Loki you miscalculated here. Tricking your brother into fighting the Hulk is brilliant. But choosing Earth as a battleground was a mistake. Thor isn't the only champion here and if you both know anything about us Puny Humans its that we get stronger when you knock us down. What do you think is going to happen if Earth's other champions show up to help out and realize you're behind this? I'd be willing to bet the formation of one of the Earth's most formidable team of champions! What do you think? Are you willing to gamble on it?" Behind his back Chris has his fingers crossed.

Kristev
06-18-2012, 11:36 PM
For Luigi, it's hard to believe what he is hearing out of Chris. He walks toward the big green Hulk, not at all sure what he should be thinking at this point.

He stops, and looks at the Hulk, then looks around for Loki, preparing to use his reflection power the moment it's needed.

Mytical
06-19-2012, 07:15 PM
Lucky for him, it is not needed. The amount of power that the Hulk can generate would blow through his power. (It would deflect a portion of it, but even when the shard is full strength it would not block it all). Thor looks at the group. "Fear not, I will take the beast to where we can make him whole." He holds up his hammer, calls out "FOR ASGARD!" and a huge bolt of lightning (from a clear blue sky) envelops him and the Hulk. When the group can see again, they are both gone.

The boy is clapping, having a grand old time. It's hard telling what powers he might have..if any.

Mytical
06-22-2012, 08:33 PM
((Since nobody is doing anything at the current time, skipping ahead a few days))

The boy and the girl seem to get along, despite their actual age difference. The boy has a shard, fully powered, but shows no signs of actual powers. Just seems a normal, everyday boy. Nobody has come to claim him, and for some reason he does not remember anything before the Hulk/Thor throw down.

However, his power finally begins to show itself...

His eyes go pure white, and his voice takes on an echo "The dead shall walk tomorrow in Miami." Then he goes about his business as if nothing happened. He seems to remember nothing about the last few minutes.

Kristev
06-23-2012, 07:25 AM
Luigi spends most of his time trying to tend to the boy, as best as his knowledge allows him.

"Definately got to give him access to a much different type of media. He's bringing the violence he sees in media to life."

He offers the young man peaceful entertainments. He will, however, warn Kathleen to stay out of Miami.

Jay 2K Winger
06-25-2012, 01:03 PM
Simon takes the revelation about the origins of Thor and the Hulk-- and the young boy being the Shard-bearer-- in relative stride. If anything, he just looks weary about it. Luigi's supposition about the boy's powers makes him groan in dismay. "Please no," he sighs. "The last thing I want is a real reality-warper like that."

He continues his research, compiling the data gathered from Griffin and still working on finding a way to break the cycle, to find a way to stop the Rifts from forming altogether.

With his claiming of the Fire Shard, he has an amulet fashioned for it, a pewter frame to hold the Shard in the middle on a simple leather cord. He keeps a separate journal to note any changes in himself that he might notice, as well as whatever powers he may manifest as a result.

The boy's sudden bout of prophecy gives him pause, and he makes sure to alert the Company to be ready to respond to any events in Miami.

Chanlin
06-25-2012, 06:51 PM
Chris, like Luigi, takes to the new kid, but for very different reasons. To the rest of the team it seems as though Chris has taken on the "big brother" role as he will spend time with a play with the kid at least once a day if not more.

When the revelation about Miami is made Chris manages to keep his reaction neutral though for a moment it seemed like he might have to pick up his jaw lest he become a new airport of the insect variety.

He muses out loud later when they are away from the kid, "I wonder if he meant Miami, Florida or one of the other cities named Miami."

Mytical
06-25-2012, 06:57 PM
The girl (er woman) looks at both of them. "Don't you know a seer when you see them? He is not causing it, he just sees the future." She seems to just ... know..this.

Sure enough the next day...the alarm sounds..and there is a Rift forming in Miami. For those who go to Miami, indeed the dead are pouring from the Rift (as you were ready even though the Rift would not stay open long, response time was very fast). You see one of the dead is a bit bigger then the others, but it seems to be fighting the incoming horde. It has a shovel it is using to decapitate its brothers. Of course it is very outnumbered, and every second others are joining the horde..both from the Rift, and victims from the surrounding area.