PDA

View Full Version : Onion Lovers, Come Forth!

Amusement Gal
05-25-2012, 02:24 AM
We have a 60 pound bag of Vidalia onions (note: yum! :D) and want to make sure to use them all up. We almost always use them as an ingredient or on the side of things, but every single year, at least ten of them end up rotten before we can get to them. So we need some good recipes for some onion spending! Already have Kebabs and onion rings in mind, but that's about it. Feel free to be jealous, I don't mind. ;)

dragon_wings
05-25-2012, 02:32 AM
First off *drool*
Secondly, my favorite recipe my mom made was to quarter the onions, put a bit of butter in the middle, wrap it up in aluminum foil, and put it on the grill. Soon enough the onions are melt in your mouth delicious.
Note: I hate onions execpt for vidalias.

Lachrymose
05-25-2012, 02:33 AM
I have seriously eaten Vidalias like an apple before.

Now, I don't know how many you can realistically get through like that. :lol:

FuzzyKitten99
05-25-2012, 02:41 AM
Make onion jam, which is really just caramelized onions cooked down to where they're more mush than firm.

It works so nicely in many recipes and adds flavor so well, plus it can be frozen.

Make a large amount and then freeze in small quantities.

Then thaw & use as needed. Stews, soups, add to eggs or mashed potatoes, green beans, various other savory dishes, you name it.

:)

RecoveringKinkoid
05-25-2012, 02:42 AM
Get a big brisket and roll it up with onions before you cook it.

Onion sandwiches. I'm not even joking.

Bet if you figured out how to deep fry those suckers, they'd be awesome.

AnaKhouri
05-25-2012, 02:49 AM
So jealous. :) Have you tried an onion tart or an onion pie? Those would be amazing with something sweet like Vidalias.

RecoveringKinkoid
05-25-2012, 03:15 AM
I got a great big bag of them myself, and I've just been putting them on everything.

I probably smell awful.

Only thing better than Vidalias is Baby Vidalias.

MoonCat
05-25-2012, 03:22 AM
I loooooove Vidalias.

Definitely caramelize some. If you have a crock pot, you can put them in at night and let them slowly cook all night. In the morning the house will smell like onions...and then you freeze them and use them up a little at a time.

Also you could just chop or slice a bunch of them and freeze them raw. Then you'll have onions for quite a while to throw in everything.

You could make onion soup, too.

RecoveringKinkoid
05-25-2012, 03:24 AM
So, you can freeze them? I never tried that, I always thought they'd be all mushy. How well does that work out?

Food Lady
05-25-2012, 03:33 AM
After you caramelize the onions in the crockpot, add stock and make french onion soup.

Jester
05-25-2012, 03:55 AM
I LOVE onions. How much do I love onions? Well, I am one of those guys that when he's chopping up onions for a recipe (which is damn often), I will much on the onions. A lot. Onions are YUMMY! Raw, cooked, whatever. Gimme gimme gimme! :lol:

Now, I prefer the white or red onions to the Vidalias, but Vidalia onions are still better than no onions at all!

Freezing onions: not so sure about this, as I have had at least one chef tell me that freezing veggies is an iffy proposition; since veggies are made mostly of water, freezing and thawing them makes things a bit odd. But on this I am hardly an expert, and could be quite wrong.

Recipes: You can use them raw in salads, as I often do. Obviously they are great as part of a base for stews, soups, and OF COURSE you have to know I am going to say chili! Chopped roughly they work great for stir fry, which is easy and fun to make. And let's not forget our friend jambalaya. If you are really daring, you might try to make onion ice cream. While I have never made it, I am sure there is a recipe out there for it. And a quick google search tells me that, yes, there are PLENTY of onion ice cream recipes (https://www.google.com/#hl=en&sclient=psy-ab&q=onion+ice+cream+recipe&oq=onion+ice+cream+recipe&aq=f&aqi=g1&aql=1&gs_l=hp.3..0.8565.10360.2.10620.9.6.1.0.0.0.726.17 34.0j3j1j1j6-1.6.0.eish.1.0.0.ruuz8_ygdrE&psj=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=8c7cd21c57327d85&biw=797&bih=379) out there!

And here's a pretty easy and brilliant recipe my older sister gave me for a great dip: you take an onion and quarter it, and a bulb of garlic (not a clove, the whole damn bulb) and chop one end off to expose the end of the cloves. Put all this on a foiled sheet pan, sprinkle with olive oil, salt, and pepper, and oven roast it for several minutes. (Don't remember the temp or time, but probably around 400 degrees F for 10-15 minutes. Once they are done roasting, squeeze the roasted garlic out of the bulb into a food processor, toss in the roasted onion quarters, and add any drippings from the process left on the sheet pan. Pulse this a few times in the processor, and you have yourself one hell of an onion and garlic lover's dip!

Amusement Gal
05-25-2012, 04:13 AM
So jealous. :) Have you tried an onion tart or an onion pie? Those would be amazing with something sweet like Vidalias.
I have not, but that sounds delicious. :D We only have two people in our family that hate onions, so it's pretty easy to make something with just onions in it as a main ingredient.
I loooooove Vidalias.

Definitely caramelize some. If you have a crock pot, you can put them in at night and let them slowly cook all night. In the morning the house will smell like onions...and then you freeze them and use them up a little at a time.

You could make onion soup, too.
I had forgotten about the soup! :D My mother makes an awesome French Onion soup, and she puts a big hunk of farm-made hard cheese in it before serving. *drool* As for the onion flavor throughout the house, my boyfriend would pass out from holding his breath! He's about the only person in the house who doesn't like them. :p
Get a big brisket and roll it up with onions before you cook it.

Onion sandwiches. I'm not even joking.

Bet if you figured out how to deep fry those suckers, they'd be awesome.
Raw onion sandwiches, or are they cooked? Because even if these suckers are sweet, just the idea of raw onions makes me :puke:.

And we're intending to make beer battered onion rings this year. Can't waitttttttt.... Wanted to do blooming onions, but the calorie count had my mother an inch from smacking me. :lol:
Make onion jam, which is really just caramelized onions cooked down to where they're more mush than firm.

It works so nicely in many recipes and adds flavor so well, plus it can be frozen.

Then thaw & use as needed. Stews, soups, add to eggs or mashed potatoes, green beans, various other savory dishes, you name it. :)
I hadn't thought about the jam bit. I've seen it in stores, but with it being homemade and all, I could do it however I wanted! With lots and lots of garlic, probably. I wouldn't get many complaints!

And here's a pretty easy and brilliant recipe my older sister gave me for a great dip: you take an onion and quarter it, and a bulb of garlic (not a clove, the whole damn bulb) and chop one end off to expose the end of the cloves. Put all this on a foiled sheet pan, sprinkle with olive oil, salt, and pepper, and oven roast it for several minutes. (Don't remember the temp or time, but probably around 400 degrees F for 10-15 minutes. Once they are done roasting, squeeze the roasted garlic out of the bulb into a food processor, toss in the roasted onion quarters, and add any drippings from the process left on the sheet pan. Pulse this a few times in the processor, and you have yourself one hell of an onion and garlic lover's dip!
I think I'll pass on the ice cream, but that dip sounds amazing! We all love garlic in this house, and even if I get (two) nay-says from it, the rest of the house will fix the garlic and onion surplus with no problem. :angel:

Thanks for the ideas guys! My mother will be using most of them up, but if she ever runs out of ideas, I'll look like I know what I'm doing for once! :lol:

kpzra
05-25-2012, 04:44 AM
If you chop them and freeze them the texture is fine for being cooked in stuff, but they get a bit mushy when thawed so I wouldn't use them raw. I buy bags of chopped frozen onions all the time.

Merriweather
05-25-2012, 05:37 AM
Freezing them works well, they won't have "fresh" consistency, so I wouldn't use the frozen ones on, say, fajitas. But they'll work great for soups, stews, etc. I find it nice to have a few half or quarter onions in a ziplock freezer bag, maybe even some already diced ones, too, on hand for when I realize I don't have a fresh one in the middle of cooking something.

Food Lady
05-25-2012, 05:42 AM
Since Vidalias are sweet, try them in a salad with orange sections and a sweet vinaigrette. Or make the dressing out of them. This is especially good with a slightly bitter lettuce like arugula. *goes to kitchen to get salad with Vidalia dressing*

Mytical
05-25-2012, 05:45 AM
Not sure this has been mentioned, nor do I have a recipe..but Onion Rings. Lightly breaded onion rings can be yummy.

DeltaSierra
05-25-2012, 05:46 AM
Onion Pie!!!

TEXAS SWEET ONION PIE
2 tablespoons butter
1 large onion, sliced thin, 5 1/2 ounces
8 ounces Monterey jack cheese, shredded
3 eggs
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon chili powder (regular and chipotle are both good)

SautÚ the onion in butter until tender and slightly caramelized. Place the cheese in a greased pie plate; top with onions. Beat eggs, cream and seasonings. Pour over all. Bake at 350║ for 35-40 minutes until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.

Makes 6-8 servings
Can be frozen
Recipe can be doubled/tripled

PhiSigGirl1988
05-25-2012, 06:16 AM
I don't like onions except when they're cooked, but a couple of ideas would be Philly cheese steak subs (onions, green pepper, steak, Swiss cheese) and this chicken cacciatore stuff my mom makes. The way she makes it is that she takes a bunch of peppers (red, orange, yellow, and green) and onions and slices them up into strips. Mix those up with some mushrooms, chicken that has been cut into cubes and cooked, can of tomatoes, garlic for seasoning, as well as salt and pepper to taste. Let simmer and serve over rice. Delicious.

Dave1982
05-25-2012, 12:37 PM
French Onion Soup.....and there's no reason why you can't add more onions than the recipe calls for. :p

RecoveringKinkoid
05-25-2012, 01:14 PM
Yes, I mean raw onion sandwiches. I admit, it's a bit much, but with a sweet enough onion, they're not overpowering. Toast on good bread, butter (real butter) and a slice of onion.

I've been pretty poor in my life. :lol: A farmer across the road from where I used to live gave me permission to glean from his field, so things were very, very fresh. I think that's the trick to eating them straight. So, nothing much in cupboard and a field full of fresh produce just outside, you get creative.

The texture of the crunchy onion, with the creamy butter and savory toast is very nice!

dalesys
05-25-2012, 02:25 PM
My mother tried to kill me with mushy onions.

She dried them like fruit leather.

*I* thought the roll was apple leather!:eek:

redsox33413
05-25-2012, 05:25 PM
You can also chop or slice them, and freeze them for later use in stuffings, soups, baked and broiled dishes, chilis, etc...
I usually invest in a good quality freezer bag in a few sizes and portion them out for what I may need. Squeeze all the air out. I try to put the date on the bag, so I can keep track of how long they've been in there. My rule for freezer stuff is use nothing over a year.

Also, caramelized onions=yummy.

redsox33413
05-25-2012, 05:32 PM
Also, baked stuffed onions... fill the same way you would stuffed peppers. It's a bit tricky to cut & core them to keep the layers from "peeling", but very, VERY tasty.

Barracuda
05-26-2012, 08:57 AM
Fried Taters and Onions
6-7 large potates, cleaned and peeled
One large kielbasa or smoked sausage (Portuguese sausage works too), or about 1-1 1/2 pounds of meat, hot dogs work too
2 large onions (white or yellow work best), sliced thin
3/4 bulb of fresh garlic, minced
Olive or canola oil
Salt
Pepper
Favorite herbs (I use thyme and dill, other good combo would be rosemary and basil)

In large fry pan or wok, heat oil with garlic, onions and sausage. Add small amount of salt, pepper and herbs. Stir-fry until onions and garlic are golden brown and sausage is cooked. Slice potatoes into medium-thin rounds and add. Add more salt, pepper, and herbs, mix ingredients, then add water until ingredients are barely covered. Use cookie sheet to cover wok and bring to boil for about 20 minutes or until potatoes are thoroughly done and have absorbed most of the water. Use spoon to mash potatoes and thoroughly mix ingredients, continuing to stir and cook on heat until water is gone and mixture is starting to dry out. Serve.

Also, a lot of soups go great with onions. My clam chowder recipe also calls for a couple of minced onions per pot. Mmm....... Oh, yes, and you can make killer bacon stuffed mushrooms with minced onions, chopped bacon, chopped mushroom stems, and minced garlic, all fried with butter until golden then mixed with cream cheese while still warm. Saute the mushroom caps until the water has cooked out, then stuff and bake at about 350 in a buttered casserole dish for about 30-40 min.

Cookie
05-26-2012, 01:14 PM
A nice one from my days working in weddings was Vidalia, brie, and champagne soup. You sweat the onions in a bit of oil until they're very soft, don't caramelize them! Then add a light stock like chicken or veggie stock and bring it to a simmer. Add the brie in and stir occasionally until it's melted and then use an immersion blender to make it smooth. Then, add your champagne and just get it hot before serving. I don't have amounts on this. We always just sort of eyeballed it. Looooove that soup, though! Since the soup is so smooth, it's good with some sort of crunchy, toasty, buttery bread like a broiled sourdough.

Jester
05-26-2012, 02:17 PM
TEXAS SWEET ONION PIE

Drool.....

I may just try this one!

Also, baked stuffed onions... fill the same way you would stuffed peppers. It's a bit tricky to cut & core them to keep the layers from "peeling", but very, VERY tasty.

Since you say it's tricky, do you have any tips or suggestions for just how to do that coring without having the onion come apart? Just curious, as this sounds like a very intriguing idea to me.

DeltaSierra
05-26-2012, 09:11 PM
Lunch today was toast with kippers and sliced vidalia onions on top - absolutely delicious and another way to use up your supply :)

Amusement Gal
05-27-2012, 02:48 AM
Yes, I mean raw onion sandwiches. I admit, it's a bit much, but with a sweet enough onion, they're not overpowering. Toast on good bread, butter (real butter) and a slice of onion.

Even if the onions I'd be using are sweet and completely palatable (to me) raw, I still wouldn't do it. Just because we usually never get sweet onions and my brain is hardwired NOT to eat them as such. :o
Onion Pie!!!
TEXAS SWEET ONION PIE
That looks amazing! If I ever do make it though, I'll gonna add more onions! You can never add enough, you know. ;)
That sounds interesting, but like Jester said, it sounds like a juggling act to keep it in one place. Maybe a skewer through the side would fix that... :D
Fried Taters and Onions
Sounds like yum! My mother makes something similar for St. Pat's day. But instead of frying the potatoes, she boils everything together and then mashes it in with some cabbage and bacon. :love: Ugly as sin, but delicious!
A nice one from my days working in weddings was Vidalia, brie, and champagne soup. You sweat the onions in a bit of oil until they're very soft, don't caramelize them! Then add a light stock like chicken or veggie stock and bring it to a simmer. Add the brie in and stir occasionally until it's melted and then use an immersion blender to make it smooth. Then, add your champagne and just get it hot before serving. I don't have amounts on this. We always just sort of eyeballed it. Looooove that soup, though! Since the soup is so smooth, it's good with some sort of crunchy, toasty, buttery bread like a broiled sourdough.
I would totally do this, but knowing my mother, most of the Champagne would go into her mouth. :D Sounds like a good, creamy soup to dig into.

Bella_Vixen
05-27-2012, 02:58 AM
fried onions + potatoes + butter = :drool:

Divra
05-27-2012, 03:11 AM
My mother makes tomato and onion salad every summer.

Sliced tomatoes on a plate, coarsely chopped onions on top, drizzle with olive oil and vinegar, season with black pepper to taste.

Barracuda
05-27-2012, 05:52 AM
I like especially to use Andouille sausage with the taters n' onions recipe, since you get a nice Cajun kick to the flavor that way. During the boiling phase, the spiciness of the sausage works its way into everything, along with the flavor from the herbs and onions and garlic. Delicious! Another delicious, simple idea--Next time you're grilling a steak or pork or heck, chicken, slice some onions up along with some fresh button mushrooms and mince some garlic. Saute the mushroom, garlic and onion in melted butter until golden and top the freshly grilled meat with it. Add a little steak sauce, and yummy!

lilnizzie
05-27-2012, 12:30 PM
http://www.ehow.com/how_8365614_core-onion.html

I'm not a cook, but I love onions (but can't eat them) so I wanted to contribute

Jester
05-27-2012, 12:44 PM
I would totally do this, but knowing my mother, most of the Champagne would go into her mouth.

Reminds me of that classic phrase: "I cook with wine. And sometimes some of it even makes it into the pot."

My mother makes tomato and onion salad every summer.

This reminds me of the Iranian Salad, though I can't figure out how I could have forgotten it in the first place, as it is a great way to use onions. (Although admittedly, it is generally made with red onions.)

Chop up half an onion, a cucumber, and a big ole tomato. Mix in a bowl with parsley (which I usually omit), a tablespoon of olive oil, and the juice of one lime. Add some salt and pepper, and you have some serious eating! One of the best lettuceless salads ever.

Barracuda
05-28-2012, 05:15 AM
Hmm, good idea Jester. Omit the cucumber and add a little more lime juice and cilantro, with your favorite raw whitefish, chopped, and you have a nice fresh sedichay. The citrus in the lime will actually "cook" the fish when you mix it together.

Tanasi
05-28-2012, 05:24 AM
French Fried onions like what's in the can are yummy.
Float some in soup, mmmmmmm!!! On on sandwichs.

Food Lady
05-28-2012, 05:40 AM
Did anyone mention onion rings yet? Easy in the toaster oven.

Amusement Gal
05-28-2012, 12:03 PM
Did anyone mention onion rings yet? Easy in the toaster oven.

We're planning on doing some beer-battered ones later on when we have the time. :D

redsox33413
06-07-2012, 05:20 PM
For the baked stuffed onions to stay "standing", I usually cut one end off the onion to keep it flat (only about 1/4 to 1/2 inch), then I cut the same way about 3/4 up the onion and use a spoon to take out the middle (I leave about a 1/4 inch around the sides. Follow to "rings" inside for a guide. Then use the onion parts you scooped out in whatever stuffing you want (I like mild sausage and yellow rice).

AccountingDrone
06-09-2012, 12:50 AM
Onion pickles, middle eastern style as I cheat and do it :angel:

Take a 1 quart ball canning jar, put 2 or 4 mint teabags [celestial seasonings (http://www.celestialseasonings.com/products/herbal-teas/peppermint)links 2 bags together so one or 2 of the full rectangles] all the way in the bottom. Put 2 really full drippy tablespoons of honey in next. Now cut whole peeled onions into wedges [eighths are fine] and start fitting them in so you pack as much onion in as possible. When you have really packed the onions in, top off with real apple cider vinegar [not apple flavored, check the ingredients to make sure it is made from apple cider] close the lid and shake until the honey is all dissolved. Shove into the back of the fridge and ignore overnight. Shake again, and serve. It is good in the frige for a week or two if they last that long. You can keep adding more onions to the vinegar as long as you like or get bored with onion pickles.

[I tend to keep onions pickles and salted lemon pickles in the fridge for random using]

Food Lady
06-09-2012, 06:46 AM
I can't believe I didn't think of onion/cheese bread. I don't have a recipe, though.

Jester
06-09-2012, 03:13 PM
I don't know that you need a recipe for onion cheese bread. Just your imagination.

Oh, wait...I'm thinking of the garlic bread kind of cheese bread. If you're thinking of the baked onion bread kind of thing, yeah, you'd need a recipe for that. :lol:

AccountingDrone
06-09-2012, 06:24 PM
I don't know that you need a recipe for onion cheese bread. Just your imagination.

Oh, wait...I'm thinking of the garlic bread kind of cheese bread. If you're thinking of the baked onion bread kind of thing, yeah, you'd need a recipe for that. :lol:

Hm, make a basic italian bread/cibatta recipe, saute a bunch of onions, garlic and fresh chopped basil. Gently roll out the bread dough into a rectangle after the first rise and punchdown and spread the sauteed allium glop and roll the dough into a loaf, pop into a loaf pan for the second rise, bake as usual. Just a guess though.

Food Lady
06-09-2012, 06:37 PM
Yes, but I'm thinking of a bread that has cheddar and onion bits throughout the dough, rather than stuffed. Sometimes you can find kaiser rolls like that, which make fab sammiches. There's enough cheese that the rolls are yellow, unless that's food color. Either way--yum.

AccountingDrone
06-09-2012, 10:18 PM
Yes, but I'm thinking of a bread that has cheddar and onion bits throughout the dough, rather than stuffed. Sometimes you can find kaiser rolls like that, which make fab sammiches. There's enough cheese that the rolls are yellow, unless that's food color. Either way--yum.

toss the bits of cheese and onion in corn starch or flour to coat, then mix into the dough before the first kneading and resting.

Jester
06-09-2012, 11:28 PM
Baking is so completely lost on me. :lol:

AccountingDrone
06-10-2012, 12:21 AM
Baking is so completely lost on me. :lol:

If we manage to move down there I promise to teach you how to bake. Not cake decorating, I suck ass at that, but I love to bake, especially bread. mmmmm fresh hot bread with butter ... we need a drooly smile:roll:

Food Lady
06-10-2012, 05:50 AM
Jester, baking is math and chemistry.

dalesys
06-10-2012, 08:50 PM
Yep. E=mc(kitchen covered in kaboom)▓.

Jester
06-11-2012, 12:42 PM
If we manage to move down there I promise to teach you how to bake.

I think you misunderstand me. I know HOW to bake, I understand the concept, and I could actually bake if I had the desire. But I have neither the patience nor the inherent WANT to do so. See below.

I have often said that cooking is an art and baking is a science. I just don't have the patience to be as precise and exacting as one needs to be with baking. It's not that I can't...I certainly can. I just don't CARE. See, I love the creative process of cooking, the fact that I can try this, that, and maybe a dash of that, and let's eliminate that....not so easy to do with baking. And thus, I cook, and don't bake.

It's all good. I'm happy with the status quo on this one. :lol:

AccountingDrone
06-11-2012, 07:24 PM
I think you misunderstand me. I know HOW to bake, I understand the concept, and I could actually bake if I had the desire. But I have neither the patience nor the inherent WANT to do so. See below.

Sug, for years I used this cup, a mixing bowl, a bread tin and an oven to make bread:
http://images.replacements.com/images/images5/china/C/mcdonalds_flintstones_mug_no_box_P0000332061S0001T 2.jpg

3 cups flour, 1 cup water, half palm of yeast, tiny palm of salt and a blorp of olive oil. And you can do without a cup in a pinch. All you need to understand is the texture of the bread dough at certain points. In an absolute pinch I can make bread using a baking sheet and an oven, working from starting with nothing more than a mound of flour with a dash of salt and the yeast.

Jester
06-12-2012, 04:24 AM
Yes, that's bread. But you and I both know that there is more to baking than bread, and a lot of it requires precision and patience....neither of which I was ever really blessed with.

On the upside, my favorite Sous Chef (my niece who I just went to Texas to watch graduate high school) can bake just about anything, from scratch, without a recipe. She's a great cook AND a great baker. And she was stoked to find out that, when I die, she inherits all my recipes, including the secret ones. (Yes, that means the chili recipe as well.) Though she did tell me not to advertise that, as she was worried she might have to fear for her life. :lol: