This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was she sucky?

My fiance and I went to Denny's at like 12am and it was pretty quiet. The waitress was there ASAP and sat us down and was really awesome the whole night.

The guy behind us kept bitching that his food was late when it wasn't. We were there before them and we got ours first and he was getting angry that it was taking so long when it was actually all done in a decent time. Actually perfect.

Great food, great service. It came to $27.

Now, I didn't have any cash on me. My boy toy and I like to give nice tips. We're not rich but we won't eat somewhere and not tip.

We go up to pay and I use my card.

The angry man was up our asses as I handed her my card.

Waitress: Do you want to add anything to your bill?

But the way she said it... Her tone. It was in that sarcastic, don't forget to leave me something voice. It startled my man and I. I paused for a second because it seemed really rude.

But then I thought about it, she was probably having a bad night and probably got stiffed the whole time.

Me: Ten dollars.

Her: Really!? Thank you...

Me: Your service was excellent.

Her manager was right there to witness all this too.

I mean, she must have had a shitty night or something and figured we would've stiffed her like the last group and the angry man who got his change before I got my receipt back. He didn't tip her.

Now, did she seem sucky? Just the way she said it... But in the end maybe I made her day a little bit better.

The co-eater behind you doesn't seem to have learned the single most important rule about restaurants: do not screw with people who handle your food.

I'm not saying they necessarily did anything to him, but it sounds like he might have earned it...
    "That's too bad. Hospitals aren't fun to fight through."
    "What IS fun to fight through?"
    "Gardens. Electronics shops. Antique stores, but only if they're classy."

Comment

You know, hard to say. I think that the asshat in her section probably threw her off her game. If the service was great and you guys had a pleasant experience up to the point of paying, its probably safe to say that the other diner had her frazzled - especially since he was right behind you guys.

I'd say she probably didn't mean to come off as rude...
      "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

and you probably made her night a lot better after that too.

Comment

One of my aunts is a Denny's waitress - in her experience, if people are using a card, they don't tip. That might have been the issue....

If a restaurant ever asked me if I wanted to add an amount to my bill, I wouldn't eat there again. Where I live, the keypad is handed to the customer and then you can add your tip without telling the staff how much you're leaving them. Just a personal peeve of mine. It's kind of like telling my boyfriend what I'm going to buy him for his birthday or something LOL (yeah, I'm weird, I know... I just prefer them not to know until after the transaction is done).
          GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

It may have been a hard night for her...
            At least you seem to have suprised her in a nice way.

I like to give tips if the service is good, whether I have my card or not.
            ... Heh, though if it's like one place I went years ago, the service was bad, the food was bad and the managers response was bad.
            On the receipt line for "tip", I proceeded to write "Get A Better Job" and never went there again.
            Waiter? ... Waiter?
            Curses! When will I ever remember- Order dessert first and THEN kill everyone in the restauraunt.

Comment

Quoth Phantomgrift View Post
              On the receipt line for "tip", I proceeded to write "Get A Better Job" and never went there again.
              You were an SC for doing so.
              I don't have an anger problem! I have an idiot problem!-Hank Hill

Comment

Normally I would agree with you, but it was, bar-none, the worst eating experience I've ever had... On par with a "How the heck do they stay in business?!" kinda way.

Thankfully it's never happened anywhere else I've ever been.
                .... Heh, that and my wife raises her eyebrow at me if she feels I'm being stingy with the tip if we go out to eat now. My man-fu is weak and I cannot defeat the raised eyebrow.
                Waiter? ... Waiter?
                Curses! When will I ever remember- Order dessert first and THEN kill everyone in the restauraunt.

Comment

Raised eyebrows are powerful. Ask Havelock Vetinari.
                  "I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

Comment

Quoth tollbaby View Post
                    One of my aunts is a Denny's waitress - in her experience, if people are using a card, they don't tip. That might have been the issue....
                    we normally leave partial tip in cash and partial credit card.
                    Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

It would take an atrociously bad experience for me not to tip. I rarely eat out (sometimes only once a year on my mother's birthday) and I tip fantastic. This last time we went to Red Lobster and I tipped almost 60%. I thought the waitress was gonna cry But she deserved it, she was great and the food was excellent. The very least tip I've left is 20%.

I guess I've been fortunate. I've only had one very bad dining experience but as I wasn't the one paying the tip wasn't up to me anyway.
                      My dollhouse blog.

Blog about life

Comment

Quoth Samaliel View Post
                        Raised eyebrows are powerful. Ask Havelock Vetinari.
                        Especially against mimes.

Comment

Even when I pay with credit, I like to leave a cash tip since that was usually what I preferred at my old Friendly's job (helped me keep track of how I was doing, also it was a little annoying to wait for the slow managers to pay credit tips out at the end of the night). Also, at places like my new job, you can pay with a credit card and, even though there is a tip line on there, we do not accept credit tips. So, whenever I use my card I get a momentary "Oh God I hope she doesn't think I'm stiffing her" panic attack when I hand my waitress the slip.

Comment

Quoth tollbaby View Post

If a restaurant ever asked me if I wanted to add an amount to my bill, I wouldn't eat there again. Where I live, the keypad is handed to the customer and then you can add your tip without telling the staff how much you're leaving them. Just a personal peeve of mine. It's kind of like telling my boyfriend what I'm going to buy him for his birthday or something LOL (yeah, I'm weird, I know... I just prefer them not to know until after the transaction is done).
                            Not all keypads are the same everywhere. The diner where I work takes Visa and Mastercard, and debit cards. When you use a credit card there is a line on the merchant's receipt where customers can write their tip in (or many just leave it in cash on the table).

But! If you're using a debit card you don't sign anything. After I swipe your card and punch in the amount and hit enter, then it asks if the customer would like to leave a tip on the card so I HAVE TO VERBALLY ASK THEM. I don't mind doing it, if it's for another waitress, but I do feel funny about it if it's my own customer.

The machine also asks if the customer wants cash back, but our boss won't allow us to ask them that so that is the reason we don't give them the keypad until it's time for them to enter their pin number.

That's just the way it's done where I work, and if somebody refused to come back simply because they were asked if they wanted to leave something on their card for their server, it might not really be fair because maybe they HAVE to ask, like we do.

Comment

When I worked at Denny's, I hated asking people if they wanted to leave something on the card. The way our system worked was that we had to put the total amount BEFORE swiping the card. It was so ass-backward and annoying. So please don't get offended when a server asks you that.
                              I bet the server was thrown off her game. I also bet that the guy got something cooked well done. That always burned me up when someone complained about how long their "very well done" steak was taking.
                              "I don't have to take this abuse from you, I've got hundreds of people dying to abuse me."
                              "Free at last from my vegetable prison!"
                              X-Strike Studios: Video game movies done RIGHT!

Comment

Working...
                              X