This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, time for a new fence...

This is gonna cost me. After our recent round of storms, I'm gonna need a new fence.

Over half of the back part of my fence is basically laying in my back yard right now.

I found out that the original builders likely used inadequate materials.

I don't think Homeowner's Insurance will cover it, either.
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Quoth mjr View Post
    I don't think Homeowner's Insurance will cover it, either.
    There is a chance as the fence was felled by a storm. Also check your builder's contract for guarantees.
    I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
    -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

I've heard stories about people making relatively small claims, only to have the insurance go up.

Plus, if the fence failed due to inadequate construction or just due to normal aging I doubt insurance will pay for it, even if it was done in by the storm.
      There's no such thing as a stupid question... just stupid people.

Comment

We're going to try to cover it OOP if we can...

But right now preliminarily we're looking at between $4,500 and $6,000, depending on actual footage, style of fence, materials, etc.

Comment

FWIW, there is a possible deduction for what the insurance won't cover...I had to do that for one of my steadies this season.
          Here's the form and instructions.
          More info.
          Yes, you are welcome to PM me with more specific queries.
          I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?

Comment

Quoth taxguykarl View Post
            FWIW, there is a possible deduction for what the insurance won't cover...I had to do that for one of my steadies this season.
            Here's the form and instructions.
            More info.
            Yes, you are welcome to PM me with more specific queries.
            I'd assume, though, that I'd have to file this with insurance for that to apply.

My wife is reluctant to file this with our insurance. She doesn't want our homeowner's insurance to go up. So I don't think I'd be able to take advantage of that deduction.

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
              I'd assume, though, that I'd have to file this with insurance for that to apply.
              As a matter of fact.

Who is John Galt?

Comment

Quoth taxguykarl View Post
                As a matter of fact.
                Oh, no question about it.

I just don't think I'd be able to take advantage of that, because my wife doesn't want to file it on our insurance. She doesn't think the $4,000 - $5,500 (or whatever it's going to be) is worth filing on the insurance.
                Last edited by mjr; 06-04-2015, 04:26 PM.

Comment

your going to have to let your insurance know anyways once you replace it, because you dont want something you do want to file for (personally i think anything over 2000 would be worth filing but hey thats me) to be paid less because your insurance isn't update on repairs and replacements you do.

Comment

Quoth Sliceanddice View Post
                    your going to have to let your insurance know anyways once you replace it, because you dont want something you do want to file for (personally i think anything over 2000 would be worth filing but hey thats me) to be paid less because your insurance isn't update on repairs and replacements you do.
                    I hadn't considered that. Going to have to talk that over with the Mrs.

Comment

yeah something i have a weird knowledge about, you always tell your insurance company of any repairs or replacements you make that may have an increased value or even if it would have the same value. this is because-
                      1. if you ever want to file a claim you don't want to be paid for the depreciated value of something you no longer have
                      2. if what exists doesn't match what their records say they might not pay at all.
                      3. what may not seem like an upgrade to you may be an upgrade in our insurances eyes (sometimes just minimum standard of living repairs can be seen as an improvement like updating a cracked and broken counter with the new equivalent of the same material, ecstatically it might be seen as a 1:1 replacement to anyone else but in reality the new counter is made of more durable material so your insurance considers it an upgrade in quality as it should need less repair or replacement or upgrade a water heater to just a newer model but the same size and everything else can be considered and upgrade cause it can be more energy efficient)
                      4.if your paying your own money for something, you want to know that if something happens its recorded that you did so.

Comment

Working...
                      X