This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GAME: Celebrity Scandal Pool!

I am sure we've all heard of Dead Pools, wherein the participants each pick a number of celebrities they think will die that year.

Well, while I DO like that idea, I figured we could try something a little less macabre here.

To wit, a Celebrity Scandal Pool for 2009.

But Jester, how will it work?

Great question. Simple. Here are the basic rules:

1. Each participant will pick 3 celebrities that, for whatever reason, they think will make headlines in 2009 for all the wrong reasons. The winner of the pool is whoever picks the most right and/or whose celebrities screw the pooch the earliest.

2. There is no money on the line here. This is purely for shits and giggles....the giggles at the celebrities' expense, of course.

3. Definition of "celebrity" is someone people could reasonably have heard of, who is reasonably famous. And by famous I mean beyond just a local area. Technically speaking, I am a minor celebrity here in Key West. BBBBBZZZZZTTTT!!!!! No dice. Someone famous beyond just a local area, someone who is NOT a member of this board that we know of (what? We might have some celebrities on here--ya never know!), and someone whose celebrity I, as Arbiter of the Pool, can verify their fame from either my own knowledge or, at worst, a few minutes of research from sitting on my ass at my computer. (Since not all celebrities are American and/or known to me.) Celebrities can be politicians, actors, musicians, athletes, people famous for being famous (hello, Ms. Hilton!), authors, etc. Just because someone falls under one of the above categories does not, however, make them a celebrity--the third string punter on the University of Toledo football team is NOT a celebrity! When there is any question as to the validity of the celebrity of a person, the Arbiter of the Pool (that's me, y'all) has final say. My game, my rules, though of course I will try to be as fair as possible.

4. Headlines resulting from new developments in old scandals do not count. For example, if OJ Simpson makes headlines for appealing his current conviction, that is not a new scandal. If, however, he knifes someone in the cell block shower--yeah, that's a new scandal. And if Terrell Owens badmouths a teammate, sorry, that is the same as he's been doing all season. It has to be something NEW! Some examples of potential scandals are: anything that results in an arrest or police investigation; cheating on a spouse/SO; drugs; something that can potentially tarnish said celeb's reputation; racist comments; controversial comments/actions, etc. I am sure there are several other scenarios I haven't even thought of yet. Once again, the final decision as to what is or is not a new scandal falls to the Arbiter. Yeah, me again. Howdy.

5. Whenever one of your chosen celebrities gets embroiled in a scandal in 2009, it is your responsibility to contact me through this site and let me know, as frankly, I don't follow a lot of that Hollywood gossip crap unless it becomes so huge you can't escape it. Yeah, I love celebrating a famous person's misery, but I really don't seek those stories out, so it's up to you to keep a vague eye out for your three celebrities and their potential negative headlines.

6. The Celebrity Scandal Pool starts at midnight at the end of December 31, 2008/beginning of January 1, 2009. It ends at the same time a year later, New Year's Eve 2009/2010.

7. The winner will get bragging rights, and maybe an actual trophy or prize. I haven't decided yet.

8. No two participants can overlap their celebrities. Any overlapping picks, the person who picked later will be asked to pick anew. First come, first serve. If you are certain Jason Alexander is smoking crack, but someone picked him first, too bad, so sad, pick someone else.

9. The celebrity does not have to be alive. Scandals do pop up concerning dead celebrities. However, the living are far more likely to fuck up, so take this into consideration when making your picks.

10. This Pool is void in the 867 area code. This is the Gravekeeper Rule.

My three picks (to start this whole shebang out) are:

Governor Sarah Palin of Alaska. I don't think her fifteen minutes are done yet.
    Actor Matt Damon. Why not? Fucker's been too clean for too long. And a lot of times, it's the people you don't expect it to be.
    Pitcher CC Sabathia of Major League Baseball (and possibly soon the New York Yankees, though I don't know if that deal is done yet). Hey, I felt I HAD to have at least one athlete on this list!

This leaves a lot of the "easy" choices open for you people. You know, people like Paris Hilton, Lindsay Lohan, Tara Reid, Tom Cruise, Britney Spears, Roger Clemens, Terrell Owens, Chad Johnson, Barry Bonds, Kobe Bryant, Plaxico Burress, etc. I am sure there are far more.

So....who's jumping in the Pool with me?

EDITED TO ADD: For those of you who won't be reading the whole thread before making your picks, please note that the number of picks you get is now SIX, not three. Thank you, please drive through.
    Last edited by Jester; 01-10-2009, 02:12 PM.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

Hmmmmmmmm
    I'm gonna say Jennifer Aniston - She won't pull a Britney, but I think she might fake a pregnancy to rival Brangelina.

Scarlett Johansson and Ryan Reynolds will have a blazing divorce, with each accusing the other of drug use and/or infidelity.
    Last edited by iradney; 12-15-2008, 04:06 PM. Reason: Oops - I can't count
    The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

Quoth iradney View Post
      Scarlett Johansson and Ryan Reynolds
      I do need to point out that, while you are welcome to your choices, picking both halves of a couple can be very limiting. On the plus side, if they do get into a nasty scandalous divorce, you've got two birds with one stone...er, uh, event. On the negative side, you are limiting your choices somewhat. Remember, if you have either half of a couple, and something happens with that couple like a divorce that involves both halves, well, that's a point for you.

As I said, you are welcome to your choices, folks, but I thought I should point out the limitations of doing what Iradney did.

And remember, despite what the tabloids think, a couple is NOT a single entity, but two people. Which is why Iradney only has two choices, but three celebrities.

Still A Customer."

Comment

I'm almost tempted to sit this one out, since I'm going to be unable to access the net or any form of gossip media for a good 3 months of '09, but for that reason I'll try to go with somewhat minor celebrities, and leave the big boys to you guys.

Foo Fighter's Frontman Dave Grohl. What can I say, he's lived the life, old habits, you know.

Actor Jeffrey Dean Morgan. He's only in the last year or so moved from bit player up to leading man, and his role as the grittiest hero of the comic that made gritty heroes (The Watchmen's Comedian), is sure to push his career up a notch. If he's going to get into trouble, or something about him is going to come public, it'll be now.

Sum 41 Frontman Deryck Whibley. 18 months ago, Sum 41 returned to their roots as a 'fuck you, I'm going to have fun' rock band, and their fans celebrated. If they keep this up, they're sure to be making some headlines either on the road or when they release a new album, and anything done off the set you can bet Deryck will be in on.
        "Darling, you are a bitch. I'm joining the Navy." -Cinema Guy 4/30/2009

Comment

Shards, I don't want you to feel limited due to your absence....I mean, I will be keeping an eye on the news for anything involving anyone in the Pool, but ultimately, as I said, the responsibility for each person's Pool picks will be theirs. So if you want, you CAN change your picks if you feel it will improve your odds any.

By the way, congratulations on being the first person whose picks I had to actually look. Yes, they are celebrities, but *I* had never heard of them. (What? I never said I was super hip and knowledgeable about such things!)

Still A Customer."

Comment

Singer Ashlee Simpson - just had a kid, been out of spotlight for a bit...

Gov. Charlie Crist of FL - Lots of "gay" rumors, then there was the supposed video that was going to be released "proving" he was straight.

Yankees Third baseman Alex Rodriguez - He's bound to break up with Madonna, or something in that regard.

Kudos to Jester for Sarah Palin, I think you'll win with that one.
            I almost said Amy Winehouse, but she keeps doing the same things over and over again.

Comment

Hmm...let's see...

Elizabeth Banks - She's been so busy making movies, I'm sure the stress will be getting to her.

Russell Brand - Dude's crazy. It's only a matter of time.

George Clooney - I'm going for a long-shot with this one, but I've got a hunch that 2009's the year he loses it.
              Marvin: "Here I am, brain the size of a planet and they ask me to take you down to the bridge. Call that job satisfaction? 'Cos I don't."

Krispy Kreme puts the "ugh" back in "doughnuts".

Comment

Quoth draftermatt View Post
                Singer Ashlee Simpson

Yankees Third baseman Alex Rodriguez

Kudos to Jester for Sarah Palin, I think you'll win with that one.

I almost said Amy Winehouse, but she keeps doing the same things over and over again.
                Simpson--awesome pick. I like it!
                A-Rod--I was wondering who would take him.
                Palin--remember, it's who gets the MOST and the EARLIEST. Even if she does something first, doesn't mean I win.
                Winehouse--um, yeah. Train wreck, but same story over and over again. Of course, if she flies off the deep end and shoots up a schoolhouse (rather than shooting UP at a schoolhouse) that would be new.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Hmm - do you get added points if you're personally involved in the scandal, or do you get automatic disqualification? Is the limit of a choice of three celebs going to increase the chances of more people getting zero points?

What constitutes a 'scandal'? Does it have to make a national newspaper?

Got me curious.

Rapscallion

Comment

Excellent questions, Raps. I'll deal with each individually.

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
                    Hmm - do you get added points if you're personally involved in the scandal, or do you get automatic disqualification?
                    Neither. As long as the scandal is duly reported in some major media, and it does fit the definition of "scandal" (as defined by the Arbiter for the purposes of this game, of course), personal involvement does not disqualify you nor give you added points. Though I will personally congratulate anyone who actually orchestrates a celebrity's involvement in some kind of scandal, as that is just all kinds of awesome.

One exception: Arizona's Secretary of State is a woman named Jan Brewer. When/if Arizona Governor Janet Napolitano joins President-Elect Obama's team in DC, as is expected, Brewer will assume the governorship. Anyone who personally orchestrates the downfall and complete disgrace (and preferably removal from office) of Ms. Brewer automatically gets a share of the championship, even if they haven't picked her on their list.

My home state deserves better than That Woman, damn it. (We'll miss you, Janet!)

Is the limit of a choice of three celebs going to increase the chances of more people getting zero points?
                    It is certainly a possibility. Here's the deal: most death pools that I've seen have people picking ten celebrities, and overlap is allowed. I thought about going that route, but decided to go with three each, no overlap. With the amount of scandals celebrities get in in the average year, I feel safe that someone in this game will score a hit.

What constitutes a 'scandal'? Does it have to make a national newspaper?
                    The definition of scandal is nebulous, of course, but it has to be some kind of controversy or situation the celebrity finds themselves in that casts a negative image upon them. One thing, though...the celebrity has to be somewhat central to the scandal, or if tangential, they have to have done something within the scandal that casts a bad light on them. I have outlined some examples above, but will judge each scandal on a case to case basis.

As for the second question, obviously a truly good scandal will receive widespread publicity, but for our purposes, I will say that it has to be reported in at least two separate major media outlets, be it newspaper, magazine, internet, television, or whatever. Clint Eastwood running over a neighbor's dog and getting a scathing article in the local town newspaper is not a scandal. Clint Eastwood running over the band The Counting Crows and having it reported on CNN and TMZ.com, however, is. And would obviously be much cause for celebration. (At least for me....apparently I am the only one on the planet that recognizes the inescapable fact that they suck donkey eggs.)

Still A Customer."

Comment

I might as well have a bash; I'm useless at stuff like this, but might be fun.

Miley Cyrus

Liam Gallagher

Gordon Brown

(Wishful thinking on the third one; I just want the bastard to not be PM any more. XD I'd be willing to settle on bankruptcy and forced resignation, rather than the "caught in bed with two transvestites" scandel that usually hits politions. XD)
                      People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                      My DeviantArt.

Comment

Richard Hammond

Barak Obama (just cos he wasn't taken yet)

George W. Bush (Just for reporting balance! )
                        A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Quoth Lace Neil Singer View Post
                          I'd be willing to settle on bankruptcy and forced resignation, rather than the "caught in bed with two transvestites" scandel that usually hits politions.
                          Scandals don't have to be sex and/or drugs. They can very easily be something else, political or otherwise.

If you don't believe me, ask the current Governor of Illinois (selling Senate seat), Spiro Agnew (selling influence), Richard Nixon (questionable financial dealings, spying, break-ins, cover-ups, abuse of power), Ronald Reagan (Iran-Contra), Rep. William Jefferson (taking bribes), Katherine Harris (Florida's Secretary of State during the infamous 2000 election), J. Fife Symington III (former Arizona Governor convicted of federal bank fraud charges), David Duke (racist comments/actions), John Rocker (racist/intolerant comments), Michael Richards (racist comments), Mel Gibson (anti-Semitic comments), or the current Prime Minister of Canada (dissolving Parliament).

Sure, the sex and drug scandals are the ones we remember best, sometimes even more than violent crimes (Hello Brett Myers! Hello Ray Lewis! Hello Rae Carruth! Hello Maurice Clarett!), but they are clearly not the only ones.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                            Hello Rae Carruth!
                            Many (lol) years ago, one of my friends made a screen name of Rae "Spare Tire" Carruth.

I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

I was wondering when someone would take W.

I almost excluded him based on how easy it might be, but on that some idea, I almost excluded Britney Spears and Lindsay Lohan.

But then I figured, hell, why not? New scandals are new scandals!

Just remember, kids, the scandal has to come to light in 2009. So, unless you feel there is a lot more info coming on the Illinois Governor, he may not be the best choice.

And that is what makes W. interesting, as he will only be in office for 20 days in 2009, but something tells me we haven't heard the last of him.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Working...
                              X