This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok.... So

I've been gone for 9 days. Hi guys. Vacation was wonderful.

The day I leave for vacation, I got a note in my email about how our paychecks would be delayed while I was on vacation by a day and it would be a paper check so I'd have to physically deposit it. Ok fine, that happens every summer. But, I figured it wouldn't be a big deal since I'd be gone anyway.

Get back today and I've been told "Oh we havent been paid yet, but you'll be paid today". Umm, what? We were supposed to get those checks last Friday.

So its 2:15 pm. Still no paychecks. And every time I ask someone, I get told "I don't know" and HR isn't answering me.

I was blissfully calm when I came back. Feeling all good and all that. Now I'm starting to get pissed off again and I haven't even been back a day.

Oh, and the COO's email "Unfortunately, after having exhausted all available means--we will not be able to cover payroll for any of our workers--hourly or salaried for this Friday

We have pleaded with ownership to make a loan to the company to cover payroll--but to no avail.

Regretfully I must inform all that paychecks cannot be issued util next Tuesday at best case--depending on the weekend revenues
    "
    Last edited by Moirae; 09-06-2011, 07:21 PM.

Is that legal?

Comment

Um, what? The company can afford a COO and an HR department, but couldn't make payroll? In some locales, that's grounds for filing unemployment , getting awarded penalty pay for a whole day's work for each day the check is late, and a sizable judgment in small claims court.

Comment

I want to cry.

Louisiana doesn't have a set pay law unless you are in the mining, manufacturing, or public services in which case its semi monthly or monthly depending on the agreement you signed when you started. Louisiana requires that the lag time between the end of the pay period and the payment of wages to the employee not exceed ten days after pay period. Which means, they can screw me over if they want.

And people wonder why Louisiana is one of the poorest states in the union.
        Last edited by Moirae; 09-06-2011, 07:54 PM.

Comment

This work at will crap should be illegal.

Comment

So you're working for nothing then? I'd be bitching up a storm LOUDLY to corp. till I got my money. You need to be paid NOW. How would they like it if all of you walked off the job refusing to work till each of you got paid?

Comment

Even though it is a "at-will" state, I'd still consult some sort of free legal counseling to find out which actions are possible.
              A theory states that if anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for, it will be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

Another theory states that this has already happened.

Comment

The funny thing? The COO's email to us specifically states that he fully expects some people to just not show up. I'm trying to give them a chance to pay me and be reasonable. I was gone for 9 days, so I figure I can give them a day.

I may walk out tomorrow. It would end alot of headache and stress if I did. And make it much easier to go for job interviews too.

Comment

Umm, I'm pretty sure "at-will employment" doesn't mean "we don't have to pay you if we're short on cash."

I would've walked out a long time. Like the first time they didn't pay you on time. Or the time they called you unprofessional for complaining about not being paid.They're not doing anything to cut staff they can't pay for; they'll just keep doing this until the company finally goes under.
                  Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Exactly. Every state is different, but Florida is at-will too. You still have to get paid, and you still can file for unemployment if you don't. Quite a few attorneys would be tripping over themselves to sue for "wrongful termination" if they think that the money situation will improve in the future.

Comment

I think my husband and I will be having a chat tonight. The problem is that I can't claim unemployment if they don't lay me off or if I walk. I may be clearing only a $1000 a month working, but thats alot of money that we can't really be without. At least we can get something if its unemployment. But yes, I think it just went under.
                      Last edited by Moirae; 09-06-2011, 09:16 PM.

Comment

Start looking for work ASAP. Like, yesterday. You should be able to find...something...with all the experience you have. (judging from what I have seen of your posts.)
                        My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Yeah, I should be able to find something after working 10 years in this industry. The problem is that I have physical limits on what I can do due to a car accident in 2004. But I need to find something. Have to.

This has never happened to me in my life. Now I'm really scared.

Comment

I would also check with unemployment. they have stopped paying you, you might just qualify.

*hugs*
                            Coffee should be strong, black and chewy! It should strip paint and frighten small children.

My blog Darkwynd's Musings

Comment

10 years should be enough to get you a desk job or something more comfortable.
                              My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Working...
                              X