Customers Suck!

Customers Suck! (http://www.customerssuck.com/board/index.php)
-   Site News (http://www.customerssuck.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Failing to see the suck! (http://www.customerssuck.com/board/showthread.php?t=34921)

Rapscallion 09-13-2008 03:51 PM

Failing to see the suck!

It has come to our attention that there's a culture drift towards people calling each other out in threads, saying that what happened wasn't really sucky.

That ceases.

What may be sucky to some is not necessarily sucky to others - we weren't there, etc etc etc. This site is about sucky customers of whatever level, and it's good stress relief for those who participate. I want people to feel able to do just that, and I don't want them to feel as if they have to run a gauntlet every time they post. If you think something isn't really sucky, hit the report button and if we agree we'll shift it to 'Brain Burps' or similar as appropriate.

People who ignore or forget this will have their posts removed and be reminded about this via PM. Repeat offenders will come to our attention.

We have no problem with people querying aspects of a tale, especially since it helped unmask our latest Walter Mitty, but outright claiming that there was no suck involved is off the menu.

Rapscallion

Ree 09-13-2008 05:21 PM

Thank you.

It needed to be said.

smileyeagle1021 09-14-2008 11:30 AM

Quote:

Quoth Rapscallion (Post 409614)

We have no problem with people querying aspects of a tale, especially since it helped unmask our latest Walter Mitty,
Rapscallion

a kinda stupid question... who's Walter Mitty?

Rapscallion 09-14-2008 12:01 PM

A character in a short story by James Thurber. During a shopping expedition with his good lady wife (read nag), he fantasised about being a battleship commander, a heart surgeon...

Rapscallion

Lace Neil Singer 09-14-2008 05:37 PM

And who was our Walter Mitty? Sorry to be nosy, but that completely went over my head. X_x

Rapscallion 09-14-2008 05:52 PM

http://www.customerssuck.com/board/s...ad.php?t=34158

Rapscallion

Ree 09-14-2008 06:33 PM

All of that aside, though, (because that is not really the point of this thread), there has been too much calling out on stories, making claims that the customers really weren't that sucky or the member who posted was in the wrong for posting. I have had that happen to my last 2 posts, and I am tired of it. I rarely post my own experiences anymore because of that, and I will seriously rethink posting any more in the future if this does not stop.

I have been hearing from other members who are actually considering leaving the forum because they are sick and tired of having to justify their stories.

We've even had to create a whole new forum after all these years without it, where people are meant to post stories that "aren't really that sucky, but more of a 'brain burp'." That's because so many people started calling out other members that the customer wasn't really sucky.

When I first came here all those years ago, it didn't matter. A 'customer' story was a story, regardless of the degree of suck or content.
Nobody had to beat people over the head with the concept that not all customers are sucky, and sometimes, it's the employee who is sucky. That was simply understood.
Nobody got bent out of shape because the heading said "Sucky Customers" but the customer story was more amusing or just a 'not thinking moment' than it was a sucky incident.

It would be really great to get back to that again, so people don't have to start their posts with apologies that their story is not as epic as some, or so they don't tend to embellish and spice up the story to measure up to the 'Vinegar Boy' standard.

Lace Neil Singer 09-14-2008 06:43 PM

Thanks, Raps.

My stories are never epic; hmm, it never occurred to me to try and make them more interesting; I just post to vent. Maybe instead I should start posting stories about being attacked by the Flying Spaghetti Monster while at work, or that just after the SC verbally abused me, a comedy anvil came out of nowhere and bashed him in the head. XD

Plaidman 09-15-2008 03:32 AM

Quote:

Quoth Ree (Post 410235)
It would be really great to get back to that again, so people don't have to start their posts with apologies that their story is not as epic as some, or so they don't tend to embellish and spice up the story to measure up to the 'Vinegar Boy' standard.

Was Vinegar boy ever true? I remember reading that back when Slugger was in charge. (... Have I been a member that long? It seems long, but doesnt o_O).

I vaguly remember too that not as many bickering. I never really thought of justifing stories. Mostly because you experence any customer service, your going to get moments that are so off the wall you can't possibly belive its happening. But it is. I have one or two that I won't post. I guess because it would seem too off the wall, and even I still refused it happen.

But it did.

Doesn't use real corn indeed.

MadMike 09-15-2008 03:46 AM

Quote:

Quoth Plaidman (Post 410465)
Was Vinegar boy ever true?

To be honest? Who really knows? I've seen some obvious BS stories on here, but I've also witnessed some things personally that I never would have believed if I hadn't seen them with my own eyes.

IIRC, Aaron, the guy who posted it, was a regular member who usually just posted routine sucky customer stories. Even this one started out as a post about some stupid mother whose kid had drank vinegar, and I don't think anyone expected it to turn into the epic that it did. I remember watching the whole thing unfold, and waiting patiently for the next development.

Two things make me inclined to believe it: One, Aaron didn't go around constantly posting crazy stories like that one; Two, it all fits together too well to be a bunch of crap.

Ree 09-15-2008 06:12 AM

Quote:

Quoth MadMike (Post 410472)
Two things make me inclined to believe it: One, Aaron didn't go around constantly posting crazy stories like that one; Two, it all fits together too well to be a bunch of crap.

Not to mention timeline.

Even though the story is now condensed, when it was originally posted, it unfolded over a decent length of time.

To me, with the obvious BS stories that are posted, that's the downfall. The story ends up being too neat and gets wrapped up in record time.

They always start out with a small incident, and the perpetrator always just happens to have outstanding charges for something much more serious that ends up causing them to be dragged away in handcuffs. The evil-doer always comes back for retribution, making the situation even worse.

There's never any delay at court. It never gets remanded. It's always dealt with in near record time, considering today's current court system.

(I've had simple assault cases for my foster kids drag out over a year, with us going to court and sitting, only to have it remanded as they didn't have time to deal with it that day, but I've read stories on here where the alleged perpetrator had serious charges for extremely violent crimes, and it was wrapped up in less than a couple of months. By simple assault, I mean petty fighting in a group home with physical contact for which charges were required to be laid in order to send a message. Some of these dudes in the stories have been borderline psychotic murderers, yet the case only takes a few days to wrap up. )

Again, though, the point of this thread is NOT about the BS stories.
It's about telling other members that their customer is not really all that sucky, and making them seem like they had no right to complain or post their story.

Bella_Vixen 09-16-2008 03:49 AM

OT, but...even if I didn't read this to get to that, I'd be calling BS. Seriously. It just sounds so fake.

Gurndigarn 09-25-2008 02:01 AM

Quote:

Quoth smileyeagle1021 (Post 410099)
a kinda stupid question... who's Walter Mitty?

The main character of one of the few short stories worth reading in English class.

Evil Queen 09-25-2008 05:18 AM

Who's being mean and calling people out? I'll give them a spanking. :D

Rapscallion 09-25-2008 05:43 AM

Quote:

Quoth Evil Queen (Post 415909)
Who's being mean and calling people out? I'll give them a spanking. :D

Oooh! Me! Me!

Rapscallion

Evil Queen 09-25-2008 05:53 AM

Seriously guys; what sucks and what doesn't is opinion based only. What is sucky to one person isn't really sucky to another. The difference is the amount of experiance, time invested in problem solving and whether you actually care enough to fix the issue or pawn it off to another. What is terribly sucky to someone new to retail (like someone being upset because a credit card machine is down) is vastly different to someone who is a veteran retailer (who has, thusly, dealt with the problem enough times to fix it or at least calm the customer down).

Quote:

Quoth Rapscallion (Post 415928)
Oooh! Me! Me!

Rapscallion

Aw Raps, of course I'll give you a spanking! And you'll enjoy it too! <3

SilverOrb 09-26-2008 01:50 PM

*hands Evil_Queen a paddle and a camera* We demand pictures!

Gotta admit, I've been.. Lectured... By certain members as to my actions. I didn't appreciate it. I almost stopped posting after that. Nice to know that behavior like that is not going to be tolerated.

Evil Queen 09-26-2008 04:44 PM

Oh, I've butt heads with more then one Moderator here, but I don't blame them fo doing it and have thanked them in the end. I can be rather.... bitchy, some days. It's good to know that there ARE bounderies that you do not cross, that this forum isn't a giant free-for-all. This is why I come back.

marasbaras 09-27-2008 03:52 AM

I'm guilty of this as well. I know I was set off by a couple of posts that said they hated it when customers while smile and ask how they were doing. I thought "WTF?!? What in the bowels of Hell do you want from us then?"

Of course, my crime wasn't the thought ... it was posting while annoying. I'll try to avoid that in the future.

I'm really glad to see Brain Burps. We've ALL done some things where clearly our brain was in Neutral (or Park) ... and I really don't think it's fair to anyone to call someone sucky because they had an off moment.

Is it unbelievably annoying to be asked where the DVDs multiple times before lunch when you are standing under then 3-meter high sign that says "DVD"? Oh yeah. But, is it sucky that maybe someone is having a fabulously shitty day and missed the sign? No.

That's why I like Brain Burps. Annoying yes .. sucky, _probably_ not.

Lace Neil Singer 09-27-2008 10:03 AM

The difference is in the manner. A customer who giggles after being told and says, "Whoops, silly me," is not sucky. A customer who makes the request in a snotty tone and after you politely point out the DVDs, goes and complains to the manager about your "rudeness", ie daring to point out their stupidity, is sucky. At least, that's my opinion.

StanFlouride 09-27-2008 01:19 PM

Quote:

Quoth Lace Neil Singer (Post 410244)
attacked by the Flying Spaghetti Monster while at work
XD

The FSM does not attack people, He touches and blesses them with His noodly appendage.

Rapscallion 10-18-2008 06:44 PM

Just so you know, folks, we've started to hand out infractions for this.

Rapscallion

unholypet 11-20-2008 01:03 PM

My reason for return-to-lurking being rectified, I'm sure I'll be back now =p

Yay Admin crew!

powerboy 11-22-2008 09:19 AM

I will admit, I did call some posts not being sucky. Because to me, they weren't. That is my opinion.

Now with that said

Whenever I make a post, I tell it - how I lived it. I do not really care, if someone thinks that it is false/not sucky enough or what have you.

I am glad that we do have a brain burps forum. It is a nice addition to the boards.

friendofjimmyk 11-22-2008 11:44 AM

I will also admit that I have stated a customer in a story didn't sound all that sucky to me. I guess I haven't done it in awhile because I have never gotten a spank er, I mean, slap on the wrist because of it.

I remember the first time I read Vinegar Boy. I couldn't believe it. However, I've come to know that the mods on this board don't mess around and if it weren't true one of them would've picked up on it and it would've never made the "war stories".

I think that there are some people on this forum who are very good writers and can relay a story of suck with pure poetry and its very entertaining. However, I believe, for some, it can create a standard that they think they can't live up to with their own posts. That's my theory for all these folks that come on here with their first post and say, "Long time lurker, first time posting". My theory is they think they haven't experienced something they feel is sensational enough to post. I say, "to hell with that! Post away!"

On a side note - Unholy Pet - I like your posts! I'm glad to see you back.

Ree 11-22-2008 11:51 AM

Quote:

Quoth powerboy (Post 452855)
I will admit, I did call some posts not being sucky. Because to me, they weren't. That is my opinion.

Explain to me again why you feel you have a right to call them out, then, just because you didn't think they were sucky?

The 'not sucky' thing got way out of hand. There was a time when I would call people on things if I felt their own behaviour contributed to the problem, or if I thought they were simply complaining about being asked to do the job they were paid to do.
Unfortunately, that seems to be a fine line, and people have ended up being called out when they are coming here to vent because the job is getting to them.

There's a big difference in someone complaining because customers keep cleaning out a shelf of bread that one just finished filling, and in someone venting because of repeated customer behaviour that they may find annoying, even if we don't personally see it as all that sucky.

In the first case, the customer is buying the product, and it's the clerk's job to fill the shelf. It's kind of stupid to complain about a customer buying our product, since that's really the point of the job.

In the second case, while we may think it's nitpicky for a clerk to complain because a customer doesn't know the correct way to put their card in the reader, or which buttons to press, if that happens often enough in a day, it can get frustrating, especially when there are usually guides showing the correct way.

I still read posts and I am so tempted to point out that the person needs to get the heck out of retail because of their attitude, but, because I am a mod, and have a duty to set an example, I find myself reining it in a bit. If I go back to offering advice like that, it can be perceived as my giving permission to other members to call out all and sundry as they see fit.

I don't know if that makes sense. I may be rambling due to a lack of caffeine. :p

Lace Neil Singer 11-22-2008 12:39 PM

Sometimes I think it depends on whether or not you've actually experienced that job. I've never done call centre work, so something that a call centre person might see as sucky wouldn't seem so to me. However, I don't call it out, cuz it's on something that I know sod all about, so I can't judge. Just as someone else who's never worked in a petrol station might say that a customer not putting the nozzle in the car isn't a sucky customer, but a petrol station worker might disagree.

For the record, on that situation, it depends on the customer's reaction to being told that they're doing it wrong. Whereas some people might say "Oh, sorry" and comply, others might be rude and obnoxious... and that's the difference between the brain burp and the sucky, at least, in my opinion. :)

sms001 11-23-2008 10:26 PM

My best touchstone on the topic is purplecat's stories. The ONLY way to know that a customer in them is sucky is if you fill in the details and give PC the benefit of the doubt right from the get-go. That's why I defended PC so vigorously a few months ago; because writing style DOES make a big difference in what is and isn't perceived as 'suck.' (Which is what I think you were getting at a couple of posts ago Ree.)
So after reading PC's post for a few months and finding myself about to say "WTF? What's sucky about that?' I started to fill in from my own experiences, and then carried that to other posts.

As a quick addendum, another thing a good CSer keeps in mind is that human interaction is extremely subjective. I can deal with a failed scan "Must be free yuk yuk yuk." all day, but tossed change really gets to me. Others are the opposite, some are bothered by neither, and some by both. Amongst my friends, bodily injury is fairly laughable (Any crash you walk away from is a good one!) but Ree was upset by my initial photos to the CS album. I hope we don't end up appeasing the most common denominator here, but I hope we don't chase people away either. Tough line.

Dave1982 11-25-2008 01:31 AM

As someone who's had their threads closed because of this issue, I'd like to say I whole-heartedly agree. It's been said already, but it's worth repeating:

Suckiness is largely subjective. While there are some things we can all agree are sucky, others may be specific to a particular "sub-genre" of Customer Service, or to a certain company, or may just be a member's pet peeve. Still others require you to have been there to fully understand.

My personal policy is that if I don't like a story, I just leave the thread and don't continue reading it, as there's more than enough here to keep me interested. Sometimes I'll ask a question, but usually I read and move on, unless I feel I have something substantive or funny to add. That's why you seldom see me posting replies to threads other than my own.

Rapscallion 12-06-2008 05:15 PM

We're in the process of handing out another infraction.

Rapscallion

Gravekeeper 12-20-2008 11:51 AM

Ooooh, I hate it when people do this. I really do. Drives me nuts. But I didn't notice a proclamation had been passed on it <3

Spiffy McMoron 01-02-2009 02:26 AM

Just a reminder folks:

People have not stopped asking what the suck was. Mods have not stopped handing out infractions.

Plaidman 01-02-2009 02:36 AM

Quote:

Quoth Spiffy McMoron (Post 476153)
Just a reminder folks:

People have not stopped asking what the suck was. Mods have not stopped handing out infractions.

That's not sucky. Stop complaining. Its your job.

Plaidman: Hoping mods get the joke.

MadMike 01-02-2009 04:49 AM

As Spiffy pointed out, we've had to hand out yet another infraction over this. And there's no reason for it. This announcement has been up since last September, which should have been more than enough time for people to read it and understand it.

These announcements are much like the signs that are up in our places of employment, the ones we complain that the customers don't bother reading. And believe me, it annoys the moderating team when our members don't read them, just as much as it annoys you when your customers don't read them.

Damien 01-02-2009 08:07 AM

This is good - I remember when I first joined when I posted about my hellish 18 months at my previous workplace that I was largely brushed off in a similar manner to what is described here. Mind you, I am still reluctant to post some accounts (including Sightings, Management and Praising coworkers) - I have posted some to test the waters, but...

DGoddessChardonnay 01-03-2009 10:54 PM

Quote:

Quoth Plaidman (Post 476156)
That's not sucky. Stop complaining. Its your job.

Plaidman: Hoping mods get the joke.

For some reason, I'm not getting the "joke" as you put it.

*pauses to blow her sore, runny nose that's stuffing up*

Sorry . . . dealing with a cold, but anyway would you care to explain the post? :headscratch:

Ree 01-03-2009 11:25 PM

I think Plaidman was having a bit of a laugh.

He was doing exactly what Spiffy had asked not to do, just to be a smartass.

I think it was done all in fun.

DGoddessChardonnay 01-03-2009 11:54 PM

Quote:

Quoth Ree (Post 477295)
I think Plaidman was having a bit of a laugh.

He was doing exactly what Spiffy had asked not to do, just to be a smartass.

I think it was done all in fun.

Okay, on that note, I'm going to go sit in the corner for awhile.:o

Plaidman 01-04-2009 04:45 AM

Yeah I was just doing it to be a smartypants in jest. :D

JuniorMintz 01-04-2009 04:47 AM

Better a smartass than a dumbass, right?

I know I know, it's an oldie but a goodie...

DGoddessChardonnay 01-04-2009 02:06 PM

Quote:

Quoth JuniorMintz (Post 477483)
Better a smartass than a dumbass, right?

I know I know, it's an oldie but a goodie...

I've been accused of being a smartass before. My standard reply:

My mom didn't raise a dumbass.:angel:

Rapscallion 06-18-2009 09:13 PM

Just a quick bump of the thread, folks. Nice little reminder.

Rapscallion

blas 06-19-2009 04:32 PM

Thank you again, Raps.

infinitemonkies 06-20-2009 02:36 PM

There's a lot to be said for style too.

Take GK for example. Many of the events he comments on aren't particularly sucky, but it's the way he tells the story that makes him the undisputed grand master of interplanetary SC stories.

(Really obscure movie reference there, respect and admiration from an obscure movie lover to whomever spots it.)

He probably wouldn't be as deified if he wrote "Drunk guy called the phone center, loud guy was on the skytrain, girl at 7-11 was dressed like a ho"

On the opposite end of the spectrum, someone may have dealt with some horrific gawd-awful piratemonkeyrobot hellbeast of an SC, but may not have the story-telling skills to properly express the horror...the horror...

Personally, I try to tell my SC run-ins comedically. If you aren't laughing at my suffering, what's the point of going through it. :)

Damien 06-23-2009 12:16 PM

A good reminder - am still a bit reluctant to speak of the current fun and games happening at the school-turning-circus that I currently are entertaining in...

gremcint 06-25-2009 03:23 AM

I just read through this thread, I'll definitely avoid doing this, besides it takes a lot less effort to go to another thread than to post about how you disagree.

And in regards to the library guy linked to early on in the story, I'm surprised noone asked about him saying college is three years away and then having an interview with someone from Harvard when he would only be in grade 9 or 10.

Ree 06-25-2009 03:52 AM

Actually, I think I did ask him about that at some point, but he had some answer to supposedly explain it away.

gremcint 06-25-2009 03:58 PM

I could have missed it if it was in the posts.

Ree 06-26-2009 05:11 AM

It might have been via PM.
It was a while ago and my memory is fuzzy.

blas 06-26-2009 04:51 PM

That probably explains why I have no idea what's going on here :(

Rapscallion 06-26-2009 05:27 PM

Quote:

Quoth blas87 (Post 583434)
That probably explains why I have no idea what's going on here :(

http://www.customerssuck.com/board/s...ad.php?t=34158 for more information.

Rapscallion

blas 06-26-2009 08:06 PM

I'm too nosy for my own good sometimes.

Rapscallion 06-26-2009 08:26 PM

I have too good a memory for searchable details for my own good :p

Rapscallion

Rapscallion 11-28-2009 08:32 PM

It's a necessary evil to have to bump threads like this every so often - we get so many new people on a regular basis. We're also getting a fair number of people saying that someone's approach was badly wrong as well, and it's being done impolitely. Things are steadily heading in the wrong direction.

Calm it down, please folks.

Rapscallion

SG15Z 11-29-2009 06:31 AM

Quote:

Quoth Rapscallion (Post 652266)
Calm it down, please folks.

Rapscallion

We'll try, but I had too many cookies today! :p

In all seriousness we do need the reminder from time to time.

Ree 11-29-2009 12:01 PM

I wish there was a way to make this thread mandatory reading for all members.

Its getting a bit tiresome when people come to vent and end up with lectures from the armchair experts.

JuniorMintz 11-29-2009 06:27 PM

Quote:

Quoth Ree (Post 652519)

Come on Ree, you should know by now that people don't read! :p

SG15Z 11-29-2009 08:17 PM

Quote:

Quoth JuniorMintz (Post 652671)
Come on Ree, you should know by now that people don't read! :p

Yeah but you'd think the people that complain about people not reading would read.

JustaCashier 11-29-2009 08:41 PM

Quote:

Quoth Ree (Post 652519)

It would be nice if the board software allowed implementation of, I don't know what it would be called exactly, but it would be like when sigining up as a member to a website forum, or to download software, where the User has to "read the fine print".

If at any time, an Admin/Mod determined it was time for Users to be once again "reminded" of a particular rule, such as this one, the next time the user visited CS, even if they had "stayed signed in", the rule would pop up on their screen, and they would have to "acknowledge" reading it, much as the "I Accept" when agreeing to a TOS.

Sure, not everyone reads all of the fine print on TOS's and such, :whistle: but, when clicking "I Accept", they are essentially making a claim that they have.

At least in the scenario that would apply here, it would give the User the opportunity to refresh their memory of the particular rule, and the Admin/Mods would not be limited to only being able to remind Users that it's their responsibility to revisit the Rules on a regular basis. Plus, it would (I think) give the Admin/Mods more ground to stand on, if it comes to having to hand out infractions.

Mike

Dragon_Dreamer 12-09-2009 05:01 AM

I know this issue is actually partly why I've been relatively quiet on the boards. Not every story I have to tell sounds believable at first glance, especially when they happen repeatedly. In one instance, someone complained I was "bragging." Plus, when confronted about certain things, I don't always have a TMI filter. >.> Mods, I'm still sorry for that incident! :o

I have heard, from friends OFF this board, that I complain too often about the idjits who think I'm pregnant, for example. It actually happens more like once a month, I've just only posted about the worst/funniest offenders.

It's to the point where *usually,* I'll wait a week, and if it's still funny/memorable to me then, I might post. The last few days being a exception. I don't want to go overboard ranting about every last thing that's happened to me, and end up alienating myself from a very supportive community.

I hope this place remains open and supportive. We're all stuck on this customer service roller coaster together, after all!

fireheart 12-09-2009 05:35 AM

Quote:

Quoth Ree (Post 652519)

Its getting a bit tiresome when people come to vent and end up with lectures from the armchair experts.

I know that one of the websites I used to frequent, which was known as TeenHelp, did something very clever when they had people applying for positions on the board (these were positions such as mentors, greeters, livehelp operators and such. And yes, these positions were carefully screened. Moderators were done on a as-needs basis).

When they had a list of conditions you needed to tick, the third one down said this: (roughly)

"Please do not tick this box to show that you have read everything here and that you haven't just ticked your way down the list."

:roll:

It could be implemented with something similar.

Dips 05-14-2010 06:52 PM

Just bumping this up for the new folks and to refresh the memories of the folks who've been around for a while.

RxBoy 05-19-2010 03:41 AM

Quote:

Quoth Dips (Post 726467)
Just bumping this up for the new folks and to refresh the memories of the folks who've been around for a while.

I'm glad you did, because I took the time to read it carefully after you intervened on a thread where we got off topic and warned us to knock it off. It's interesting that sometimes people don't even realize what they are doing when they get off topic because they don't take the time to read the rules of the site.

I was very glad when I came across this site because it really does serve as a type of support group for those of us who deal with customers in our jobs. Hence the logic would be if you can't be supportive then don't post on this particular thread. It doesn't help our cause when someone posts about a customer getting annoyed when they try to get them to open a charge account and then the next poster on the thread starts in with how annoyed they get when a clerk asks them to open one. Or when someone talks about how angry a customer got and the next poster chimes in with how they agree with the customer or how the OP could have prevented the situation if they had handled it differently. I've been guilty of this in the past and I know I need to start being more careful.

I do have one question for the mods though. I apologize in advance if this is answered somewhere else and I didn't see it. If so please point me to the link. There are occasions where a poster will describe a situation and ask "Was I an SC in this situation?" It seems to me in a case like this they are asking for our opinions and thus there is the possibility that they will be spoken of critically. Are there specific guidelines for this, or is it okay to speak your mind in these types of situations (in a respectful way of course)?

crazylegs 05-19-2010 11:16 AM

Quote:

Quoth RxBoy (Post 728164)
I do have one question for the mods though. I apologize in advance if this is answered somewhere else and I didn't see it. If so please point me to the link. There are occasions where a poster will describe a situation and ask "Was I an SC in this situation?" It seems to me in a case like this they are asking for our opinions and thus there is the possibility that they will be spoken of critically. Are there specific guidelines for this, or is it okay to speak your mind in these types of situations (in a respectful way of course)?

If someone is asking then you are allowed to answer the question.

We would of course ask all members to be polite and respectful in these instances if you do think they were sucky. If you (the generic, all encompassing version of 'you', not anyone in particular) don't think you can answer it in a polite way, then don't respond!

Dips 05-28-2010 03:27 PM

Quote:

Quoth RxBoy (Post 728164)
It doesn't help our cause when someone posts about a customer getting annoyed when they try to get them to open a charge account and then the next poster on the thread starts in with how annoyed they get when a clerk asks them to open one.

Thank you for bringing up that example, RxBoy.

That definitely counts as "failing to see the suck."

It's not as blatant as telling someone directly that the customer wasn't sucky but it still implies it.

So, to clarify:

It counts as "failing to see the suck" to bring up your customer service complaints in someone's thread about sucky customers. Instead start your own thread in Sightings to do that.

It also counts as "failing to see the suck" to act the armchair expert and nitpick about another poster's assumptions about his customers. If you're not his customer, the assumption doesn't apply to you. Leave it alone.

Or use the report button if the assumption offends you or you feel it's unfair.

This also doesn't mean you all have to ignore it if someone posts a story that shows them to be suckier than the customer. That's a situation where you SHOULD report it to us right away. If someone brags about spitting in someone's coffee or seems like they seriously want to harm someone, it's important to bring that to our attention immediately. DON'T respond, but DO use the report button to tell us about it right away.

Dave1982 09-27-2010 02:28 AM

Alright folks, we just had to issue another infraction for this.

If you feel that something wasn't sucky, keep your opinion to yourself.

If someone is openly stating that they were being sucky to a customer, do not respond in the thread. USE THE REPORT BUTTON.

Dilorenzo 09-27-2010 05:15 PM

Rather surprised at this. Personally, if I don't see the suck, I keep that to myself and move on. I've likely not been in that situation and am not in the posters shoes, so what business is it of mine if they see something as being sucky?

DGoddessChardonnay 09-27-2010 10:58 PM

Quote:

Quoth Dilorenzo (Post 801754)
Rather surprised at this. Personally, if I don't see the suck, I keep that to myself and move on. I've likely not been in that situation and am not in the posters shoes, so what business is it of mine if they see something as being sucky?

I understand your POV completely. However, as Dave has mentioned, we've had issues recently involving members who have not done as you do and therefore we've had to react accordingly in response to that.

We're not picking on any member (or members) in particular, but we feel in light of the recent issues to again remind everyone.

And, also in the future, please remember to use the new cover sheets on your TPS reports.:p

Pedersen 09-27-2010 11:02 PM

See, personally, I just don't get why you mods think these people are being sucky. I just can't see it.

/me ducks and runrunrunruns!

Mondestrucken 10-14-2010 05:18 PM

I was a long time lurker, and although I have been posting for only a short time, I always saw this site as a place to vent, rant, rave and otherwise complain about our lovely, lovely customers (and others) in some of the most literate, witty posts I have ever read on any internet forum.

It's as if through the sheer intelligence of the posts, we triumph over our moronic customers. Who cares if the customer wasn't "sucky" enough? The post made me laugh, and gave me the strength to go back out onto the counter.

I have seen some other forums gradually get more and more rigid by posters holding the forum to some incredibly strict definition (Not sucky enough), and most times, these critics seem to be newer.

Isn't one of the overall rules to: "Have fun with this!"

Dragon_Dreamer 10-14-2010 06:22 PM

Here, here! I agree with everything Mon mentioned. This place is fun partially BECAUSE it's so laid back, and always has been. Unless someone asks to be critiqued, just report the post if you have an Issue with it. :P

EricKei 10-20-2010 03:02 AM

Quote:

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay (Post 802048)
And, also in the future, please remember to use the new cover sheets on your TPS reports.:p

Well, yeah, I got the memo, but the frakkin' printer keeps going on about some "PC Loadletter" thing >_<

...I need to get me one of those red staplers >_> AFAIK, Swingline didn't actually *make* that particular stapler until after the movie released. Once it spread, they got so many requests for it that they started manufacture of that model in red ^_^

BlaqueKatt 10-20-2010 10:51 PM

Quote:

Quoth EricKei (Post 814156)
AFAIK, Swingline didn't actually *make* that particular stapler until after the movie released.

nope they did make them, discontinued that model in the 60's the movie made them bring them back into production-I have one of the originals from my mom bought in 1957.

EricKei 10-21-2010 02:35 AM

Quote:

Quoth BlaqueKatt (Post 814608)
nope they did make them, discontinued that model in the 60's the movie made them bring them back into production-I have one of the originals from my mom bought in 1957.

Oh, sweet! ... Ya know, that would probably be worth a small fortune on eBay to the right buyers...>_>

Dips 02-03-2011 09:17 PM

I'm bumping this thread up because this is rearing its ugly head again.

But this time I thought it might make sense to explain what FTSTS is and, just as importantly what it isn't.

I've mentioned a few times here that FTSTS does not protect people who come here to brag about being jerks to customers.

I figured it would help to illustrate what I've meant by that and why the rule is there but also how it does not condone bad behavior on a poster's part.

The FTSTS rule is needed because it protects people who come here to express feelings and thoughts about customers who may not be that sucky. Why the hell do we care if people have negative thoughts about customers. We're not the thought police, right?

The rule does not (and should not) protect people who come here to talk about sucky actions (as opposed to thoughts).

Example:

My sister found people who ordered tea in Friendly's annoying. Mainly because the way the store was set up, she'd have to run all over the place to gather everything needed. Customers would often get impatient and even if it was a nice customer who tipped well, the resulting tip wasn't going to be much.

She should be allowed to come here and vent about her annoyance without getting a lecture that getting tea is her job or that ordering tea isn't sucky.

I mean, Duh! She knew her job and she knows ordering tea isn't a sucky action. It just sucked for her. She never let on to the customer how she felt about it. She did her job with a smile and kept her feelings to herself while she was working.

The FTSTS rule would let her vent about her feelings here and protect her from getting stupid lectures in reply.

Now. If she had acted like a bitch to the customer or heaved a heavy sigh at the customer or in any way acted put upon TO the customer, that would be a sucky ACTION on her part. If she came here and bitched that the customer didn't like it much when she expressed her annoyance TO the customer, the FTSTS rule would not apply.

HOWEVER! People would still have to avoid making personal attacks and directly pointing out that the customer wasn't sucky but there's nothing wrong with a nicely worded sympathetic suggestion on how to handle such a situation professionally next time.

Or, even better, ignoring the post and/or reporting it as bragging about being a sucky employee.

I don't believe the FTSTS rule should apply in other forums except for Sucky Customers. Members should be perfectly free to gently point out that a PFB letter writer has a point or politely explain why an apparently sucky employee/other customer in Sightings wasn't in the wrong or that a supposed Moron in Management asking you to do your job is actually doing HER job. Just do it politely and without attacking or lecturing.

I hope that makes sense.