Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Give me time (More a venting then anything)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Give me time (More a venting then anything)

I debated if to post this, more of a venting then anything.

/Background/

I have several medical conditions that I deal with. One of which is elevated ammonia levels.. for those who do not know this can cause me several issues. Forgetfulness, confusion, and what I will call word dysphagia. Where it can take time for me to say what I want, as I search for words. For instance.. I can sometimes think of the word cobblestone, but the word brick? Yeah.. might take awhile. I understand that this is difficult to deal with.. and frustrating.. now imagine how it is for the person who actually suffers from it.

/background/

I went shopping, and my normal caretakers.. my mother and father.. left me to go do somethings in town so I did not have to endure the pain of waiting on them in the vehicle. At the time they left me my legs were hurting, but I was not having issues mentally. Unfortunately, these things sometimes hit out of nowhere. No warning. Anyhow, I had asked for assistance shopping, and things were going great at first. Then my dysphagia reared its head.

C - (me)
    FA (Frustrated Assistant assigned by the store)

C - Can you reach me that off the top shelf? *points to Ketchup* The .... *name of brand just flies from my mind*
    FA - This one? *reaches for wrong one*
    C - No .. the .... (just can not think of the word)

This goes on for several items.. and both of us were getting very frustrated. Me, because I can't express myself.. them because they are not Psychic.

FA - What? Which one do you want?
    C - I .. that.. no no that one...
    FA - Which one!
    C - Give me time!

Again time passes, each of us getting more frustrated.

FA - We really need to pick this up, others need help too!
    C - Just give me time!
    FA - I am going to pass you off! This is ridiculous!

They do. And about 10 minutes later my dysphagia relents, and it is a pleasant shopping trip. I understand they did the right thing, they had somebody else help me when they had reached their limit.. but it is soooo frustrating when people rush me.
    Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

This why i refuse to have brand loyality on common stuff like condiments, except for insisting on real mayo. It means there can never be any frustration of confusion

Comment

Yeah but from what I gather, knowing the brand wouldn't matter if the OP can't remember the name of it at that moment. Plus, I think there are many varieties of "real" mayo, made with different oils and such. So in this case even the term "mayo" might not be there. Not to mention sizes.

What I don't get is, yeah it's frustrating but how hard is it to just put your hand up and point at one product at a time and when they get to the correct product you would nod or say yes or whatever. Clearly the product that Mytical was after was close enough to accomplish this. It's not like they just started at some random place in the store or something.
      Last edited by notalwaysright; 05-12-2018, 05:01 AM.
      Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Apparently harder then I thought lol. I guess when it is about an hour of helping, and many many items.. they wanted to go hit their head against a desk or something. I know I did.
        Last edited by Mytical; 05-12-2018, 06:31 AM.
        Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Would it help to make a shopping list at home, without the stress? You could even look the brand name up on the almost empty ketchup bottle.
          You wouldn't have to hand it over. Just use it as a memory aid when the dysphagia hits.

My mother has a list on her computer with all the things she ever buy. Then she can just copy the items she are running out of, with brand names, quantity and everything.

Comment

Most of the time, yes. When it is just dysphagia it would help a lot.. if I can remember to take it. *laughs*. When the confusion and forgetfulness sneak up on me .. not so much. I've done things like ask my mom when my mom is going to do something (because I didn't recognize her).. forget my own name... and wake up somewhere and not know how I got there, why I was there, or even where 'there' was. First time it happened I sat in the lot of a pizza hut behind a wheel of a car. I was less then 2 blocks from my home, but had no clue how to get home or anything.

Sorry this is becoming more of an off topic then sightings. I still do think the person they assigned me could have been a little more patient, even if I can understand the frustration.
            Last edited by Mytical; 05-12-2018, 04:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X