This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a book recommendation ...

A customer came into The Mothership today handing out $5 gift cards from Big Box Bookstore to each of our staff.

I'm going to put mine towards a Neil deGrasse Tyson book.

What's your favourite?
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

The last book I bought was Orbital Cloud. It sounded very interesting.

Other interesting books I have read recently are Throne of the Crescent Moon and Seveneves.
    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Hmmm ... okay, those DO sound interesting ...
      ~ Mr Hero

Comment

4 books that are good
        MARTians
        Not Your Sidekick
        Fangirl: A Novel
        Alive

Comment

See the quote in my sig below. I always recommend Terry Pratchett.

But also a fan of Neill Gaiman, Patricia Briggs (who I meet at Supanova in Melbourne. Squee!) and Ilona Andrews.
          Patrick Rothfuss' The Name of the Wind and The Wise Man's Fear (Kingkiller Chronicles) are fantastic but he needs to write faster. I want book 3 already, damnit.
          A good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read. - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Comment

The last book I finished was "The Subtle Art of Not Giving A F**k".

I'm almost finished with "The Prince".
            Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

My most recent read was Artemis by Andy Weir. I loved The Martian and this was no different. It's much shorter than the former, with a bit of mystery and thriller thrown in. And the science is all there and presumably as accurate as The Martian, but it doesn't slow down or distract from the story.
              Don't waste time trying to convince someone that the sky is blue.

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                The last book I bought was Orbital Cloud. It sounded very interesting.
                I have started reading Orbital Cloud. At first I thought this was going to be a science fiction book. It turns out to be a techno-thriller. It is an excellent read.

Comment

Quoth TheWolfEmperor View Post
                  My most recent read was Artemis by Andy Weir. I loved The Martian and this was no different.
                  Awesome! I was wondering how it was; I will likely pick it up soon.

ObTrivia: I know Andy. A friend of mine used to work with some friends of his, so they'd all be at my friend's parties, generally boardgame related. He did a comic called "Casey and Andy", which I learned about by talking to them, and wound up becoming a big fan of.

I don't think Andy would remember me, though.
                  “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                  One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                  The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Recently I've been reading the "Monster Hunter International" Series which is pretty good.

https://www.amazon.com/International.../dp/1439132852

Also like the 'Holmes on the Range" series.

https://www.amazon.com/Holmes-Range-.../dp/0312358040
                    Just sliding down the razor blade of life.

Comment

Quoth Nunavut Pants View Post
                      Awesome! I was wondering how it was; I will likely pick it up soon.

ObTrivia: I know Andy. A friend of mine used to work with some friends of his, so they'd all be at my friend's parties, generally boardgame related. He did a comic called "Casey and Andy", which I learned about by talking to them, and wound up becoming a big fan of.

I don't think Andy would remember me, though.
                      Very nice.

I got to meet Dacre Stoker once. He's the descendant of a certain 19th century author.
                      Don't waste time trying to convince someone that the sky is blue.

Comment

Blue Ginger: I think I've got nearly every Pratchett book ... well, let me correct that: every Pratchett Discworld book. But I know there are others that I don't yet have ...

Quoth drunkenwildmage View Post
                        *snip*

Also like the 'Holmes on the Range" series.

https://www.amazon.com/Holmes-Range-.../dp/0312358040
                        OMG, those are in anthology?? I've read several of them in the Ellery Queen Mystery Magazine. They are great!

Some really great suggestions here. I will have to set aside some time to browse through a bookstore (now that I've got a valid reason to be there ...) and check them out.
                        ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Quoth Pixelated View Post
                          Blue Ginger: I think I've got nearly every Pratchett book ... well, let me correct that: every Pratchett Discworld book. But I know there are others that I don't yet have ...
                          And they are just as good. Get them if you can. The Bromeliad Trilogy is excellent.

Comment

OMG, those are in anthology?? I've read several of them in the Ellery Queen Mystery Magazine. They are great!

Some really great suggestions here. I will have to set aside some time to browse through a bookstore (now that I've got a valid reason to be there ...) and check them out.
                            Pratchett also has a few standalone novels, notably the classic short Strata. And then there's that last thing he did with Stephen Baxter, the awe-inspiring Long Earth series.

Comment

There's one book which is an anthology, plus 5 other books that are full length novels and the author, according to his Facebook page, Steven Hockensmith is working on another ''Holmes on the Range' novel to be due this year sometime.
                              Just sliding down the razor blade of life.

Comment

Working...
                              X