This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So... pay raise or comfort?

So, a position opened up at my office. I currently work as a phone slave, but I have one of the strange shifst (I work Sunday through Wednesday) so I get to work a couple of the days from home... I work Sunday 11a-6p at home, Monday 8:30a-9p at home, Tuesday 8a-3:30p at the office, and then 5-9 at home, and Wednesday 8a-5:30p at the office.

The new position would be pretty much all at the office, unless I had to go offsite to train someone. And since I'd be training, I'd have to wear more business professional (or at least less hippy-like) clothing. But it would be a pay raise.

*sigh*

One thing finally decided me though on keeping my phone slave job. And that's the fact that I can watch Doctor Who episodes on my computer between calls, and that my work environment is this:

I get to wear whatever I want! ^_^ PJs, check!

The new job can't compare, I don't think. What do you guys think? Should I take the pay raise or work in my pjs?
    Last edited by Wenchie; 08-08-2010, 05:12 AM.
    "Good morning, and in case I don't see ya, good afternoon, good evening, and good night!" - The Truman Show

Never underestimate the value of a comfortable and non-stress work environment.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

When thinking about that possible pay raise, don't forget to factor in how much more you'll spend in gas to get to the office every day. It could make quite the difference, depending on the distance.
      My webcomic is called Sidekick Girl. Val's job is kinda like retail, except instead of corporate's dumb policies, it's the Hero Agency, and the SC's are trying to take over the world.

Comment

Quoth CoffeeMonkey View Post
        When thinking about that possible pay raise, don't forget to factor in how much more you'll spend in gas to get to the office every day. It could make quite the difference, depending on the distance.
        It's 5 miles. So not that bad. It's more the whole agoraphobia thing I have going on... which is one reason I'm glad that I have a quick straight drive to work and I don't interact with many people in person.

Which is funny, because I staff at a 17K+ person anime convention, but I don't have a problem because I have a job, I'm doing my job, I know what I'm doing, and I know the area and the situations. So it's not a "new" thing for me so I don't get all panicky.
        "Good morning, and in case I don't see ya, good afternoon, good evening, and good night!" - The Truman Show

Comment

One question is do you NEED the money. If you don't have debt, are managing to make contributions to your retirement savings, have a bit of a cushion and are comfortable with how you're living, then the amount of money you're making isn't really relevant. Don't let keeping up with the Joneses force you into a job you don't like.

The last two are negotiable for your comfort at work. The further up the list you go the worse the job needs to be to justify sacrificing money going towards that.

One thing to consider - do you feel that you would benefit as a person from the challenge that taking the new job would provide? Sometimes the jobs that we consider unpleasant are the ones that do us the most good later. Perhaps taking this job now will help you when you need to take a less pleasant job later in life.

Comment

Working...
          X