Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just pay the damn nickel (Part 2: The Re-Nickeling)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just pay the damn nickel (Part 2: The Re-Nickeling)

A few months ago, I posted about the 5-cent-per-bag law that The County requires us to charge, and the absurd lengths customers will go to get out of paying the amount of money that I, an hourly-wage jockey, make in approximately (does the math) 8 seconds.

Today, I saw that insanity reach a new low.

I was working the 3:30-midnight shift as the self-checkout attendant. For the most part, that consists of standing at a podium, staring at a screen to make sure people aren't price-switching, and helping them when they can't understand big-city words like "quantity" and "bag". Towards the end of my shift, I had one of the worst types of customers we get at self-checkout; the kind who has a full cart and has completely ignored the "15 items or less" sign hanging in plain sight at entrance to the SCO queue. Per corporate decree, we're not allowed to tell these people that they can't use the SCO, but we can (as I do) inform them that they'll probably get done a lot faster if they use one of the regular checkout lanes. Of course, this stubborn insistence on using the SCO is almost always coupled with a complete inability to read the instructions on the screen, and it took this woman nearly 20 minutes to ring up her stuff versus the 3-4 minutes it would have taken her to go through the checkstand. (I could start a whole other thread on my beefs with SCO customers, but that's a story for another time.)

After she's done spending ages ringing in her stuff, and struggling with her produce, and me having to override her about 20 times because she can't handle putting her stuff on the bagging scale in a timely manner, she hits me with this;

"I was here last month and I bought two bags, and when I used them last week they broke. Can you give me new ones?"

Hell no I'm not, lady.

For one, Our paper bags are, by law, considered single-use. You use them to cart your stuff home, and that's that. We're not responsible for their upkeep in perpetuity.

For two, the fee isn't something we chose to create. It's a County ordinance. We could potentially be fined if the county chose to sting us and catch us giving away bags.

For three, despite the fact that the fee is mandated by The County, it's not a tax. We get to keep that money. And it might not seem like a lot of money, but it adds up to several thousand dollars a day that we get to take in, and as this is an employee-owned store, I have a vested interest in making sure we don't lose any money that could potentially benefit my retirement account.

For four; it's five goddamn cents. What were you planning to do with it - buy a piece of Bazooka Joe bubble gum? (I don't know if they even make that anymore, but it's the only thing I can think of that I know costs five cents.)

The legislature here in Stateslyvania is considering enacting the bag law statewide and raising the fee to ten cents, saints forfend, so hopefully there'll come a time soon when out-of-towners can stop being shocked by the bag law.

I'm not sure it'll come before the customers drive me out of my mind, though.
    Last edited by Smapti; 02-25-2019, 12:34 AM.

Employee owner store

Wow, I bet sucky customers don't like how they get treated at your store. Too often we hear of give-a-ways to customers because the store is part of a big organization and losing some money to sucky customer does not affect the management.

But here any suck is money out of your own pocket, hit them hard and make them follow the rules.

PS. Years ago plastic bags were free here in Ontario, if you walked the streets you would always see a bag blowing down the street or caught in a tree. Once the 5 cent rule was in place that all vanished. Suddenly people keep the bags that are now worth money to recycle them in use.

Comment

The five cent law has been in effect here since 2012 and I finally think we're past most of the big tantrums... The people who have something against it for whatever reason are resigned to push the cart full of loose groceries out to their cars, or maybe shop out in the county where they can get all the silly free bags they want. It is what it is, the store didn't make the law, don't take it out on the employee. In our town at least, it is VERY specific that the store isn't supposed to "eat" the cost.
      Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

...I think your math is off. That or I really need your job. Making 5 cents every .8 seconds means you make $225 an hour.
        "Oh, the strawberries don't taste as they used to and the thighs of women have lost their clutch!"

Comment

If anyone wants to debate whether something like plastic bags should or should not be taxed, please take it to www.fratching.com. This is not a debate site. I've already had to remove a post for this reason.
          Sometimes life is altered.
          Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
          Uneasy with confrontation.
          Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Quoth Heksubah View Post
            ...I think your math is off. That or I really need your job. Making 5 cents every .8 seconds means you make $225 an hour.
            Off by a factor of ten, I was.

Comment

Quoth earl colby pottinger View Post
              *snip*

PS. Years ago plastic bags were free here in Ontario, if you walked the streets you would always see a bag blowing down the street or caught in a tree. Once the 5 cent rule was in place that all vanished. Suddenly people keep the bags that are now worth money to recycle them in use.
              Tantrums might be past, but the indignation is not. I've had a number of customers tell me they won't pay the five cents "on principle."

"On principle" of what, I'm not sure ...
              Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
              ~ Mr Hero

Comment

I had a guy throw a huge temper tantrum worthy of a toddler who was told he couldn’t have ice cream for every meal of the day. I mean full out jumping I and down, fist waving, yelling and screaming, pounding on the counter and stomping his feet. Oh and he also said that “he wasn’t going to pay for us too advertise” as our bags had the store logo on them.

Pretty sure the guy had hit his midlife crisis. “What do you mean the world has changed and people sorta care about the environment now?! It wasn’t like that back in my day!”
                Don’t worry about what I’m up to. Worry about why you are worried about what I’m up to.

Comment

Quoth Pixelated View Post
                  Tantrums might be past, but the indignation is not. I've had a number of customers tell me they won't pay the five cents "on principle."

"On principle" of what, I'm not sure ...
                  "The principle" that any law they don't like doesn't apply to them.
                  Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I like my cloth shopping bags, they don't randomly break and I can toss them in and wash them every couple of trips. Rob has some that sort of fold up and stuff into tiny little lumps and fit in the door pocket in the car. Having our own means we don't have a zillion random plastic bags not getting thrown away or recycled and lurking in the corniers of the kitchen ...
                    EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
                      I like my cloth shopping bags, they don't randomly break and I can toss them in and wash them every couple of trips. Rob has some that sort of fold up and stuff into tiny little lumps and fit in the door pocket in the car. Having our own means we don't have a zillion random plastic bags not getting thrown away or recycled and lurking in the corniers of the kitchen ...
                      Me, too. When I retired I sewed a bunch, and now that it's been a couple of years these need replacing. It's also nice to toss them in the wash. My Doctor Who totes always get a positive response, too.

Comment

Does the Tardis bag look quite small but is astonishingly spacious inside?
                        The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Quoth Kit-Ginevra View Post
                          Does the Tardis bag look quite small but is astonishingly spacious inside?
                          That is known in some circles as a bag of holding, which was inspired by the infinite capacity of back rooms of stores everywhere.
                          "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Single use shopping bags were largely banned in New Zealand as of January 1st this year. Pretty much all of the shops no longer stock them and instead have multi-use plastic bags which usually sell for 15c each, or reusable cloth bags - one of the supermarkets has a pretty cool deal where you pay $1 for the cloth bag and when it wears out you can bring it back to the shop and they will just replace it free of charge
                            Violets are blue,
                            Roses are red,
                            I bequeath to thee...
                            A boot to the head >_>

Comment

I luurrve my Chicobags. They're all nylon-or-suchlike bags that pack small into an internal pocket, in sizes ranging from keychain fob to picnic bag. A fair number of colors and patterns too. My oldest is well over 10 years old (might be 15), seams are gaping a bit but it's still holding.

The only thing from them I didn't like was the backpack -- I think my shoulders are too wide for it.

Comment

Working...
                              X