This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are LOA's just unattainable anymore?

At least it seems in the places where I've had the unfortunate experience of working. Maybe this is more suited for Morons in Management; if so, mods can do their thing.

We found out this morning that my sister has pneumonia. Six weeks she's had some kind of cold/bronchitis sort of thing and has been stubborn about going to the doctor's about it. Today she went back for a second time; her husband finally convinced her that staying awake with a chronic cough for two nights in a row is NOT a sign that you're recovering very well.

This means that it's time for Mommy's care, which also means that I've got to stay behind while she's gone to hold down the fort here; my brother is 15 and homeschooled, and he can't be home alone all day. When I walked in tonight to get my LOA and pick up my paycheck, the first thing I see is one of the managers smiling at me and beckoning to come talk to him.

"Can you work tonight?" *big adorable grin*

Me: (Thinking: Yes, I know I've known you since you were in middle school and liked to put post it notes on my back that said "Kick me", but you have reached an all time low. This is not cute) "Ummm, actually I need a leave of absence form."

I explained to him the situation, and he was ok with it, however the Co-Director stood beside him, rubbing his eyes like he had a headache. He says I'll have to talk to J, the front end manager, and she should be back from her lunch in about ten minutes. Coolio. I made a quick trip to the restroom to come back and find J was on a register; no biggie, that happens all the time, she usually only stays on for a few minutes to take the lines down. Ten minutes go by, and I notice she has switched the light on at her register. Okay, so she's covering someone's lunch, still no biggie. A cashier comes back from lunch, J still shows no sign of shutting down, and now Co-Director has gotten on a register as well.

I've seen the store busier than this, and I waited there for over an hour tonight to see someone about my LOA, and they kept acting like I wasn't there. Maybe I'm being selfish, but is it really too much to ask them to forget the farking lines for a few minutes to get this taken care of for me? It's not like I thought "Whee, I hope my sister becomes bedridden so I can have a vacation!" or "Lyke, I broke a nail and it lyke . . . hurts and I lyke . . .need sum tyme off!"

I always come in early, stay late, and come in on my days off when they ask to cover for their stupid call-ins. Never once have I asked them for time off before. I restrained myself when Jackass Co-Director closed with me one night and thought it was really amusing to keep pointing out to me how long it would take me to put back all the go-backs while he stood outside and smoked his cigars. And they can't even give me a stinking leave of absence for a family situation!

I'm pissed off, mostly for the fact that this exact same thing happened to me at Hell-Mart last year. Family member got sick, I needed a leave, and management quickly made themselves unavailable. I ended up losing my job. I'm just so tired of fighting with these fuckers when I've bent over backwards for them
    Last edited by ShinyGreenApple; 10-11-2007, 03:30 AM.
    The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.

I'm sorry to hear this crap is happening to you, LB. It sucks on every level I can imagine.

I know how you feel about one part of it, at least, and that's the getting shafted by the management part. I won't threadjack, but I will say that the managers at my first job taught me that I only matter as long as I'm doing things for them. Once I insist on doing a few things for me, I'm useless.

I hope your management team there shapes up quickly for you. And, more importantly, that your sister gets better rapidly. Good luck!

Comment

"Jester, someone called in sick. Can you cover the shift?"

"Sure."

"Thanks, Jester. You're the best. You're doing a great job."

"Sure."

"Sure."

"Sure."

"Actually, no. I have other plans."

"Thanks, Jester. You're the best. You're doing a--what? But you never say no!"

"It seems I just did."

"But...but....we NEED you."

"Sorry, can't help you."

"This is the thanks we get for all we've done for you?!? You're really not much of a team player!!!"

The above is a pretty fair assessment of how it went when I worked for The Coporate Restaurant Chain With The Red And White Stripes. Proof that management usually only appreciates you at the specific times you are bailing them out.
      Last edited by Jester; 10-11-2007, 04:51 AM.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
      Still A Customer."

Comment

Management, especially in retail, never seem to realise a basic fact. My working for you is a TRANSACTION! I sell you something you want - my time. You buy it with your cash - my wage or salary.

I will not prostrate myself at your feet because you pay my wages, and I don't expect you to grovel to me to get me to do my job.

But if you mess me about, I will sell my product to another purchaser.

Anyway, to go OT: Jester, how is the new job going?

Comment

FMLA. Hand your manager a written and dated notice that you must have off XDate to XDate for a family medical emergency, and keep a copy for yourself. IANAL, but we recently at work had some 'manager reeducation' concerning FMLA that stressed that you CANNOT take action against any employee of any kind, who exercises their rights under FMLA. They might ask you for notes or hospital bills to prove it, but they can't fire you, restrict your hours, etc. Look into it and see if that will help you?

Comment

With the job market the way it is, yes, unless you are a salaried and benefitted worker who can't be replaced in an afternoon, getting an unprotected LOA approved is going to be next to impossible. If you are in an at will state, it is much easier, administratively, to let you go with no promises, than it is to hold your job for an indefinate amount of time hoping you come back in time for Christmas or whatever. The only time they will begrudginly allow leave would be if it is protected by a federal law such as FMLA. Unfortunatly, based on the situation described above, FMLA will not apply, as it only covers you, your parents and your children. Siblings are not included in FMLA.
            The only words you said that I understood were "His", "Phone" and "Ya'll". The other 2 paragraphs worth was about as intelligible as a drunken Teletubby barkin' come on's at a Hooter's waitress.

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
              Proof that management usually only appreciates you at the specific times you are bailing them out.
              Jester, that sums it up perfectly.
              Unseen but seeing
              oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
              There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
              3rd shift needs love, too
              RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Well, a bit of an update. The friend/manager picked up the phone when I called today, and he said he'd talk to them and for me to still call back and talk to J tomorrow and give her the heads up on it. Sheesh, if I could make clones of him and M, the grocery manager, and get rid of co-director and store manager, we'd all be doing just fine

Why is it the nicer ones are always below the people who have no business being in authority positions?
                The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.

Comment

Quoth LadyBarbossa View Post
                  Why is it the nicer ones are always below the people who have no business being in authority positions?
                  I always think they're (The Soul Sucking Jerks) doing "favors'', have some rather interesting photos of them at a party involving a computer, a funnel, and 2 gallons of cider, they have the good old boy system, or they just suck up. It really sucks. Sometimes the nicer ones don't want to deal with the hassles of authority either or they know that they'll be overruled by idiots.

"Thanks, Jester. You're the best. You're doing a--what? But you never say no!"

"It seems I just did."

"But...but....we NEED you."

"Sorry, can't help you."

"This is the thanks we get for all we've done for you?!? You're really not much of a team player!!!"
                  Ah yes, management in true form. They never seem to understand that many have a life outside of work. Drove many a bosses nuts, bonus points if they call when you're 10 hours away from work or your out of state.

I also looked up at will employment and I have to say that it has to be one of the stupidest ideas ever invented.
                  The Grand Galactic Inquisitor hears all and sees all.

Comment

Quoth Bagga View Post
                    Anyway, to go OT: Jester, how is the new job going?
                    The new position is just fine. I only have had two training slots and one non-training shift. Tonight is second non-training shift. It promises to be slow, it being Tuesday and all, which is just fine, as I have been laid up sick in bed the last four days, missing four server shifts at work. Yes, I was THAT sick. This was the worst I have felt in a long, long time. But it seems to be going away. My throat is still a little icky, but I can at least work. Gonna feel damn good to get out of the apartment!

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                    Still A Customer."

Comment

Working...
                    X