This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solicitation

I had a customer recently call in. It was an old woman. She says: "I've been getting all of these calls from telemarketers and automated things and I'm sick of it" <-- That's the short version of a 10 minute speech.

Me: "Well we have a feature you can put on your phone to stop all of that. It's called no-solicitation. What it does is when somebody calls you, an automated greeting is played saying 'if you are a solicitor, please hang up now, otherwise press this or that and enter the number you're calling from'"

SC: "How much is that a month."

Me: "That feature is 6.95 a month."

Her: "I don't want any extra charges on my bill."

Me: "Well we do have some cheaper features. We have anonymous call rejection where private numbers can't get through to your line, and we also have call rejection, where you can add specific numbers to your block list."

Her: "I don't want any more charges on my bill... I just want it to stop. I'm not paying for anything else other than what I'm already paying for."

Me: "......Well we don't have anything free of charge to stop them. If you don't add one of these features chances are it'll continue."

Her: "Well I'm just going to go with a different company then."

I guess this is where I was supposed to beg for her to stay with us..

Quoth TheSilentOne View Post

Her: "Well I'm just going to go with a different company then."

I guess this is where I was supposed to beg for her to stay with us..
    won't have to do much begging... unless she is going to go to digital phone through the cable company... in which case she'll probably end up crawling back to you (seriously, have you ever read the small print on the triple play package... it's good for 12 months then they bend you over and give it to you up the ass... and they aren't even nice enough to use lube).
    If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post
      *snippy!*... bend you over and give it to you up the ass... and they aren't even nice enough to use lube).
      You know... I was going to make a joke here, and make a very homosexual reference to my nature... but now that I think about it, Smiley...

I know a certain person who is that nice these days...
      Carpe Jugulum : Go for the throat.

Comment

Quoth Fenrus View Post
        You know... I was going to make a joke here, and make a very homosexual reference to my nature... but now that I think about it, Smiley...

I know a certain person who is that nice these days...
        so you've met my old roommate too...

eta, that could have come out wrong... he stole from me when he moved out, but he was nice enough to send me a txt msg apologizing about it... so yes, he screwed me, but he used lube. (minds out of the gutters)
        Last edited by smileyeagle1021; 08-12-2008, 10:20 AM.
        If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

You might recommend the Federal Do Not Call List. It isn't 100% effective, but it is 100% free.

Comment

Quoth SpyOne View Post
            You might recommend the Federal Do Not Call List. It isn't 100% effective, but it is 100% free.
            It is effective after 90 days, unless the telemarketers like lawsuits. I haven't had a single cold call since I got on the list. And not many warm calls either. Mostly because I'm a right bastard if they don't tow the line (legally speaking) when they call me. It's amazing how many of them refuse to give out information such as 'What company do you work for?', 'What is the contact information for your company's home office?', and, the one they REALLY hate to answer 'Is this is a solicitation?'

I know that opening the call that way makes it seem like they'll never sell me (and, honestly, they probably won't) but I will listen to the entire schpiel of anyone that can answer those questions honestly and without argument. Legally, they MUST answer those questions if they're calling in the US. So far, I've not once listened to anyone's schpiel. Mostly because they lie to number three then try to sell me something anyway. Because that's likely to go over well.

Disclaimer - I realize some of the people here are telemarketers. I used to be one as well. I never knowingly broke the law when I was doing calls, even cold calls, and I quit when the company started purposely breaking the law to put Do Not Solicits into the calling queue (among other things). I'm not trying to put you down for doing your job, I just expect you and/or your coworkers to obey the letter of the law when calling me.

Comment

There is a loophole in the Do Not Call law. If you place your number with any organization, say an online/mall raffle or something equally stupid, they can sell those numbers to telemarketers and you will have to reregister your number in the do-not-call registry to stop it again. I prefer to keep my contact number as my cell phone, its more effective in my experience and I don't have to register it.

Comment

Working...
              X