X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mama's Little Menace

Sunday Afternoon.
    It's been a steady weekend after a local competition and a show at the resort. Cleaning's mostly done, some rooms are available. About 3:00PM, a guy checks in. Apparently, his mum booked a room for him online, which came in earlier but was booked on the wrong date. Anyway, I can still do a standard check in. He has an ID on him, but no credit or debit card. That should have been my first red flag. He also mentioned something about being fresh out of jail.

He has his mum on the phone and she provided a credit card detail to the taxi driver and now she wants to provide us one. Did all the paper work yada yada, key yada yada, check out time yada yada. Done....not.

He later comes in with a room service breakfast form and told me to charge it to his mum's card. Fine, whatever.

Monday Morning
    I make up his breakfast and as I bring it to his room, he also asks for tomato sauce. So I drop off the tray and run back to the kitchen to get some. I drop it off and he also asks for apple juice. Under my breath, I whisper 'ass' and run back again. Juice done, run back for the next order.

As I'm checking people out, some of them reported loud music coming from his room over night. Nearly got into a scuffle too. At 10:00 I went to his room to ask whether he was checking out or not. He wasn't. This should have been Red Flag #2. Thinking nothing of it, I add an extra night to the system.

Later on, I talked to him about the noise complaints and he torted back, 'Yeah whatever, I don't care about them'. Red Flag #3. I talk to the cleaners and give them the gist of his situation.

He didn't do much for the rest of the day, but I gave a rundown for the shift change to my co-worker.

Tuesday Afternoon
    2:00. I clock in and I discover to my horror that the guy is in for one more night. According to my coworker, who worked last night and that morning, he extended the night before. He was a horror in the morning. He didn't have any cash for the washing machine so we kind of bent over and took change out of the machine. Then, he overloaded the machine by stuffing his clothes AND his backpack into the machine. Thankfully it didn't break.

Next, he wanted to go to a shopping centre nearby but wanted to take a taxi. He asked if we could give his mum's details to the driver, but we couldn't for security and privacy. He tried to invoice it to his room bill, but as far as I know, we can't do that. He then had the gall to ask my co-worker to have them drive him to the shopping centre. Lazy ass.

When I clocked in, I could hear music blaring out of his room from the office. So I went up there to turn it down. The TV was at sound level 100 and it was literally vibrating the TV. He let me, but he just shrugged his shoulders. The second I get back to the office, he's cranked the volume on the TV back to 100 again. I go back up and do it again. THEN HE DOES IT AGAIN. I walk out to the courtyard and he's on the balcony. He sees me , does a little toga dance and turns it down. That was the last time thankfully.

I went to our booking system and shut down the booking channels to ensure he didn't book another night online or with us directly. He came down a bit later and asked for another night, but I said no and he got his mum to book somewhere else. Thank god.

Around 3:00, he ordered pizza and it came to our place at about 3:30. Problem was, he wasn't in his room. I wasn't sure what to do, so the delivery guy rushed off to do a different delivery. In hindsight, I should have just held onto the order. They guy came back at 3:45 so I called the pizza shop, where I proceeded to get a tongue lashing from the manager about how I was wasting their time and that they would not make a fresh order just for them. When the delivery guy came back, he was pretty chill but I probably apologized a dozen or so times going up and down the stairs. Had to have a cup of tea after that fiasco.

Wednesday Morning.
    Finally, finally, finally it's the guy's last day and he checks out on time. Room's clean, no damaged items. My head is still pounding from yesterday so I had like two mugs of tea by 11:00. As I'm doing some rounds, I get a phone call. It's from the motel the guy was going to stay at. They turned him away because their attitude didn't click right. They asked me what the guy's deal is. I gave them the spiel about how the guy is a nuisance and apologized for punting him off. Thankfully they were understanding and sympathized with us trying to get rid of him.

So after three days of having to deal with this mongrel and about 2 liters of tea later, I am utterly spent. I have never dealt with someone so immature and irresponsible before that I am surprised he hasn't done worse with his life. If I was his mum, I would have disowned him when he went to jail in the first place. I wouldn't be helping him live in the area just to show up to his court hearing and living off my money. It's pretty clear that this mother has never denied or slapped (excuse me, disciplined) their child and it shows. You have a mid-twenties adult, with no sense of responsibility, consideration or awareness of consequences. I hope the guy's in the gutter.

Spoiler: That wasn't his mom, and the card info was stolen.

Comment

Stolen card was my thought, as well. Live it up on a card, but never present it yourself, as that ties that card directly to you. An anonymous voice on the phone is the one doing the fraud, right?
      Plausible deniability. He's already in the penal system works, so he's learning the tricks.... sorta.

Comment

I was waiting for that punchline as well.
        AkaiKitsune
        Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

On the other hand, it's not like we've never encountered someone who treats their parents like door mats. Stolen card is a possibility but if no one reported it in three whole days, my money is on this guy's mother being taken advantage of.
          Don't waste time trying to convince someone that the sky is blue.

Comment

I am in the wrong line of work, because I never even once considered that a stolen credit card was involved. I talk to these man-children all the time.

Mom paid the bail to get her special snowflake out of jail and needs him to go to his hearing so she can get the bail money back and pay off the mortgage she had to put on her home to get the bail.

Comment

Jail

Quoth Slave to the Phone View Post
              Mom paid the bail to get her special snowflake out of jail and needs him to go to his hearing so she can get the bail money back and pay off the mortgage she had to put on her home to get the bail.
              My mom would have left me in jail to (a) Save money (b) know where I am and that I am limited in what trouble I can get in.

Comment

Quoth earl colby pottinger View Post
                My mom would have left me in jail to (a) Save money (b) know where I am and that I am limited in what trouble I can get in.
                Mine would have done the same, but for different reasons. a) why should she go into debt for MY mistake? b) I'm a grownup (theoretically at least) and I can live with what I've done. c) give me time to ponder my fuck up.

Comment

I'd have been left in jail to think about what I'd done, and you can bet I'd have been paying back every penny. Not that I ever did anything jail-worthy; the only traffic ticket I ever got was for having a burned-out headlight.

Comment

Forget being "left in" jail; I'd have been begging to remain in jail as my mother would have made my life a misery for being stupid enough for doing something so stupid in the first place! Same reason I was never tempted to do drugs or drink underage. She (probably) wouldn't have laid a finger on me, but ye gods could that woman lay on a guilt trip...
                    "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

My mother was into tough love before it had a name. The bailout that the SC in the OP got would be out of the question to her.
                      I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                      -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth greek_jester View Post
                        ye gods could that woman lay on a guilt trip...
                        I have told several friends that my mother was a travel agent for guilt trips . . .

Comment

Quoth morgana View Post
                          I have told several friends that my mother was a travel agent for guilt trips . . .
                          "... guaranteed E ticket ride ..."
                          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

"Hey, look--you can see the whole county from up here on this cross!"
                            “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                            One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                            The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Growing up, there was a real clear message on getting incarcerated: If you was in the wrong place at the wrong time, stuff happened, etc., then parents would move heaven and earth to spring me.
                              Of course, if I knew what I was doing at the time... "See you when you get out" Got to visit a half-brother who did a little time in the county lockup. He quickly figured that any plans or schemes that he had thought up for prison life beforehand... were complete BS, and he wanted nothing more to do with any kind of lockup facility, no way, no how. Got his life straightened out in a surprising hurry.

Comment

Working...
                              X