This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's that time of week again

Okay, so I have one more bus ride before my last UTA trip this week, but I can always edit to add later if needed.

UTA rail map for reference

Why is this a hard concept
    As you can see on the map, our rail system is not that complicated, 4 lines, that's it.
    We implemented this system three months ago when the west valley extension and west jordan extensions were completed, yet still I on a regular basis have people on the train ask me for directions because the new system is so complicated...

My grandma who could lose her car in the parking lot because she didn't see the truck she parked next to would be able to understand that map.

Huh-wuh
    I boarded the Blue line at Sandy Civic Center... note that is the only line that serves that station. Guy who got on after me asked if this train went all the way to Salt Lake (you know, because the sign board that says Blue Line to Salt Lake Central didn't give that away), I replied, yes it goes all the way to Salt Lake Central (in fairness, there are multiple stations with "central" in the name, so it is conceivable that he misheard), and he replied "oh, so I have to transfer there to go downtown"...
    Umm, sure, I guess if you really want to you can go past downtown to Salt Lake Central and transfer to the Green line to go back through downtown.

Bonus points for stupid
    Same train ride someone asked me if how to get to the University, they boarded at Midvale Center, I told them that they would have to transfer to the Red line either at Fashion Place West or Courthouse.
    He then went on to bitch about how much it sucked that we had to transfer now to get to the university...
    Umm, from Midvale you always had to transfer to get the the University (okay, so there was a rush hour shuttle at one point in time that offered direct service, this was not rush hour though), so why is it now a huge deal that you transfer at either Fashion Place West or Courthouse rather than at Gallivan Plaza where the transfer used to be

You just now realized this?
    "You mean that we have to pay more to use the Frontrunner line"
    ...ummm, yes, it is the high speed express service, all express services cost more money, in every city, in every state, of every nation of this planet.
    "It's not right that we have to pay more to use Frontrunner"
    Fine, then transfer to a bus and take three hours to make your way up to Ogden rather than 50 minutes. Hell, I'd gladly pay more for the Frontrunner service to go to Orem rather than dealing with the buses... sadly it doesn't go that far south yet.
    If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

That's not the clearest map I've ever seen, but it does show a remarkably simple system - essentially a trunk line with some branches off it. It should be pretty near impossible to get lost on that.

Now THIS I could understand getting lost in.

Comment

Ok I thought Boston (MBTA) had a complicated system Seoul's is worse.

Comment

Quoth Chromatix View Post
        Ok, I see a bunny and a couple of clouds. Is that the right answer, or does it mean I'm looney-tunes?
        It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

That map scares me.

Do people just lose their minds when vehicles are involved, be they cars, buses or whatever?
          Coffee should be strong, black and chewy! It should strip paint and frighten small children.

My blog Darkwynd's Musings

Comment

Thanks deity for the iPhone's map app. ^_^ I'd never have moved to the ghetto if I hadn't had that app. Granted its a single short bus ride from my house to work but getting to my sister's house is a bit harder.
            Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
            Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

Comment

That's not the clearest map I've ever seen, but it does show a remarkably simple system - essentially a trunk line with some branches off it. It should be pretty near impossible to get lost on that.

As a non-driver (and therefore constant purveyor of public transport) that made me want to go take a nice long lie-down somewhere quiet. Preferably sedated
              Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum! - Don't you dare erase my hard disk!

This is Tech Support, not Customer Service.
              What's the difference?
              We're allowed to tell you "no".

Comment

Did anyone else think of one of these when reading the topic title? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xv6IWX1_XHQ
                To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

This is what I deal with as far as buses go:
                  http://www.thebus.org/SystemMap/SystemMap.asp
                  Grab the wrong bus and you can be circling the island.

Comment

In fairness, that is a fairly low quality map than the ones they have posted on the trains and the platforms.

The Seoul map looks massive and confusing.
                    If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

The most confusing thing about the Seoul map is that several of the lines have splits at the ends. How does that even work?

^-.-^
                      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Seoul is scary-looking.

Maybe it's just me, but I found Boston's system (at least the train part, since I don't take the buses) to be easy enough to comprehend, and this coming from a girl who never once encountered public transit until she went to college. Yay for growing up in farming country in the middle of nowhere.
                        "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                        - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                          The most confusing thing about the Seoul map is that several of the lines have splits at the ends. How does that even work?

^-.-^
                          If they work like some of the Japan lines, the trains could actually split apart, the front going one way while the back goes another. Even then, it's just a matter being on the right half of the train if you're going past the split. Otherwise, that map looks pretty understandable. They even mark the multi-line stations well.
                          The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                          "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                          Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
                            If they work like some of the Japan lines, the trains could actually split apart, the front going one way while the back goes another. Even then, it's just a matter being on the right half of the train if you're going past the split. Otherwise, that map looks pretty understandable. They even mark the multi-line stations well.
                            Really? This would make a plot point in one of the Professor Layton games more plausible.
                            To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

That map doesn't look particualrly complicated to me, but then I'm used to the London Rail and Tube map http://www.tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/1106.aspx (about 8 links down, on the right hand side.)

Comment

Working...
                              X