Customers Suck!

Customers Suck! (http://www.customerssuck.com/board/index.php)
-   Site News (http://www.customerssuck.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Significant News (http://www.customerssuck.com/board/showthread.php?t=113541)

wolfie 02-02-2016 08:59 AM

If Lucas wanted to avoid angry fans, there are a few things he could have done differently, most notably:

- Don't add gratuitous CGI to a remake of A New Hope. One "add-in" he could have done that I wouldn't have minded would be to add a chalkboard behind the bar in the Mos Eisly cantina with betting odds on the pod races (to tie in with Phantom Menace - how can a popular sport disappear completely in one person's lifetime?)

- Don't try to undo the canon - HAN SHOT FIRST!

- Don't give Jar Jar Binks any screen time.

sstabeler 02-02-2016 09:21 PM

There's actually a simple explanation for why there aren't betting odds on pod racing- when Anakin was a kid, Tatooine was functionally run by the equivalent of the mob. when Luke was growing up there, however, it's very clear that the Empire actually can enforce it's laws, at least to an extent, there. As such, it's highly likely that pod racing had been driven underground.

as for Han Shot First, it's actually largely irrelevant, but I imagine it was done to clarify that Han shooting Greedo was legitimately self-defense. (even if Han shot first, he was in a situation where he knew greedo was about to shoot him. Han had not confronted Greedo- it was the other way around, IIRC- so it is self-defense for Han to shoot Greedo regardless of who got the shot off first or not. However, the edit makes it abundantly clear to even the most raging opponent of lethal force that it was, in fact, self-defense.)

Dilorenzo 02-03-2016 01:48 AM

I've not been to the board in a while.

The news made me sad, and the update made me happy nonetheless.

This was a place that has allowed me a place to vent and laugh at the stories of others. It's given me some lifelong friendships. This is the place I was hanging out through one of the darkest points of my life, and provided me a refuge while I was getting sober.

So, I may not be around anymore, but long live CS. It's always going to be a special place to me.

Ironclad Alibi 02-03-2016 02:23 AM

A far as Star Wars is concerned, consider this. The original stories were published between 1942 and 1950.

Ree 02-03-2016 02:30 AM

Quote:

Quoth Dilorenzo (Post 1304159)
This was a place that has allowed me a place to vent and laugh at the stories of others. It's given me some lifelong friendships. This is the place I was hanging out through one of the darkest points of my life, and provided me a refuge while I was getting sober.

This is why I have always loved this site so much.
It makes me so happy to read something like this.
You must be so proud of what you have accomplished. I'm happy you had this place as a refuge.

:highfive:

Dragon_Dreamer 02-03-2016 01:01 PM

Looking forward to when the chatroom might reopen, too.

Pedersen 02-03-2016 03:04 PM

Quote:

Quoth Dragon_Dreamer (Post 1304224)
Looking forward to when the chatroom might reopen, too.

The chatroom hasn't been closed. It's still open, and still accessible, at http://www.cschatter.com/

tintaglia 02-03-2016 07:48 PM

glad CS is going to stay around :) fab news
i know i don't post much (or at all of late) but it's good to know this site will be here :)

Dragon_Dreamer 02-03-2016 10:43 PM

I must be doing something wrong, then. About a month ago, pidgin started refusing to connect to that server, but no others.

Pedersen 02-04-2016 01:55 AM

I'd bet it's got to do with the SSL certificate on it being expired. Should be a setting in pidgin to allow you to connect anyway.

prjkt 02-04-2016 11:29 AM

Quote:

Quoth Ironclad Alibi (Post 1304164)
A far as Star Wars is concerned, consider this. The original stories were published between 1942 and 1950.

Heh. There's a few Dune references in Star Wars too

Kanalah 02-04-2016 03:43 PM

I'm glad the site is sticking around. I've made a lot of friends here and it's nice to have a place where I can go to vent and people stand up for me. I'm just so used to being beat down by everything around me that I'm almost a hermit.

If it wasn't for this site, I'd probably still be selling my quilts uber cheap and thinking they were crap. :(

XCashier 02-04-2016 04:07 PM

:hugs Kanalah:

You've been beaten down most of your life, and that does tend to stick with you. But the bullies were wrong. You are a good and decent person, as well as a talented artist. Keep reminding yourself of that, hold your head high and keep being a good and decent person.

I agree, this site has been very good for people sticking up for and encouraging each other, even just a sympathetic ear and a shoulder to cry on. If non-employees have read these stories and resolved to be better people because of it, that's another good outcome.

MoonCat 02-05-2016 01:34 AM

I've learned a lot here about how retail, restaurant serving, and other professions work. Because of this I always try to be pleasant to cashiers, and I tip well at restaurants and to the pizza delivery folks.

I've learned a few NSFW things here, too, but hey, that's a bonus! :devil:

jnd4rusty 02-06-2016 02:30 AM

I also do not post that often on here but I occasionally pop on to read posts. I have enjoyed this site very much and I am glad to hear that it will continue. I have always been impressed with this site and the integrity of the people and mods. I read other sites on the internet and always note that posters will most likely get "bashed" and ridiculed if they say something that is unpopular or just because someone wants to be a jerk and tear someone down. That NEVER happens here because Raps and the marvelous mods would never tolerate such actions. I feel safe posting here and knowing that I will not be ridiculed for my opinion. Thank You Raps and mods for providing us with such a wonderful and safe site to post and read. I have become friends on Facebook with several people and it is so nice to know people from other areas of the world. This place is fantastic!!

Dragon_Dreamer 02-06-2016 02:32 AM

No, I've been ignoring that for over a year, I just hit ignore and it connected. Now it just says SSL handshake failed.

CyberLurch 02-15-2016 01:08 PM

Quote:

Quoth wolfie (Post 1304014)
In the novel "Splinter of the Mind's Eye", certain plot elements would not make sense (except to stereotyped Rednecks) if the "brother/sister" bit had already been introduced into series canon.

Oh HO! So I'm not the only person who's read that book? I'm not delusional after all, yay!

Crossbow 02-15-2016 01:25 PM

Quote:

Quoth CyberLurch (Post 1305391)
Oh HO! So I'm not the only person who's read that book? I'm not delusional after all, yay!

No you're not delusional (about this, at least). Although it might be better if you were.
I love Alan Dean Foster's writing, but that book was just bad.

Mishi 02-17-2016 12:33 PM

Oh wow! I am so glad CS is staying, that was one hell of a rollercoaster read. Thank you Raps, for always being awesome and making sure that this is a comfy place to visit (even though I haven't been here in ages).

silverstaff 02-18-2016 12:47 AM

Quote:

Quoth wolfie (Post 1304054)
If Lucas wanted to avoid angry fans, there are a few things he could have done differently, most notably:

- Don't add gratuitous CGI to a remake of A New Hope. One "add-in" he could have done that I wouldn't have minded would be to add a chalkboard behind the bar in the Mos Eisly cantina with betting odds on the pod races (to tie in with Phantom Menace - how can a popular sport disappear completely in one person's lifetime?)

- Don't try to undo the canon - HAN SHOT FIRST!

- Don't give Jar Jar Binks any screen time.

Frankly, there was nothing Lucas could have done to avoid hatred. The anti-Lucas hatred is pretty much completely irrational by this point, an internet mob mentality. Lucas even said that the irrational, impossible-to-please fans who hated anything he did, no matter what it was, is a lot of why he sold Lucasfilm: he concluded that many of the fans were impossible to please and would hate ANYTHING he did after the ANH and ESB.

As for undoing the canon, Disney did far worse when they rebooted Star Wars and threw out 37 years worth of canon (and the vast bulk of Star Wars canon at that) for their remake movie and has actively worked on social media to demonize both the original canon and the fans of the original canon, like when Pablo Hidalgo tweeted last week asking people to please stop talking about Mara Jade. I guess people talking about Luke's loving wife who was a Jedi Knight herself and mother to his son is distracting from the fact that in the Disney reboot he abandoned his promise to Yoda and threw away his status as the heir to the Jedi tradition to live in self-imposed exile, and that in the original canon he re-founded the Jedi Order and even when one of his first students turned to the Dark Side that didn't stop him, while to Disney, as soon as one student fell, Luke gave up on teaching and became a hermit.

As for how podracing disappeared, the Expanded Universe had since explained that. . .it was banned by the Empire, an edict from Lord Vader (seeing podracing discussed in the media brought back painful memories from him, Vader struggled with a LOT of bad memories of being Anakin, it's also why he refused to go to Tatooine ever, explaining why Obi-Wan hid there and hid Luke there, and why he send stormtroopers down there in ANH to find the droids instead of going down there with them)

Athaelia 02-21-2016 03:52 PM

Long time lurker, occasional poster since the Mr Slugger days...

I don't post much, especially since leaving the working world to care for my kids, but I love this place. So thankful for all your hard work through the years, Raps. This place is a haven in a world of crazy!!

Glad to hear this place will be sticking around.

Athaelia/Ladykelli