Customers Suck!

Customers Suck! (http://www.customerssuck.com/board/index.php)
-   Site News (http://www.customerssuck.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   ATTENTION!! (with regards to violence) (http://www.customerssuck.com/board/showthread.php?t=7636)

Ree 02-02-2007 11:23 AM

ATTENTION!! (with regards to violence)

We have had a lot of new members lately, but there has also been a sudden disturbing trend among the standing members as well, so I think a reminder is in order.
We do not condone violence to our customers, on or off duty, nor do we condone violence to our co-workers or managers. This includes physical as well as threats.

Please take time to familiarize yourself with the rules again.

We have had to do a lot of edits, and there have been some 'newbie' posts that we were not able to approve, because they contained violent situations, or threats of violence.

CrazedClerk 02-02-2007 03:39 PM

I suppose I am fortunate in that I've never seen a physical confrontation at work, the closest I saw was some nut who threw his store discount card at my manager.

I tend to believe that violence isn't really something to make light of.

However I am reminded of Kusnangi's thread about being assaulted at work. So is it safe to say that if WE are involved in an altercation with a customer or co-worker we can post about it, so long as we don't make a threat of retaliation in any form?

Rapscallion 02-02-2007 03:45 PM

Generally speaking, go with the law of the land (UK or US). We don't mind self-defence to protect yourself from harm, but if it's threatening customers (counted as assault, and we don't like it done to us) or attacking them physically (as before), then it's a major no-no.

Rapscallion

Spiffy McMoron 02-02-2007 03:48 PM

Quote:

Quoth CrazedClerk (Post 80033)
So is it safe to say that if WE are involved in an altercation with a customer or co-worker we can post about it, so long as we don't make a threat of retaliation in any form?

Of course. You are posting about a (very) sucky customer at work. That is openly encouraged by everyone here. But if you threaten to rip off his arm and beat him with the messy end-that's where we draw the line. :lol:

If you have any questions, feel free to PM a moderator. That's what we're here for.

iradney 02-02-2007 06:32 PM

I'm a bit of a hippy - make love not war, etc etc. The worst I'll probably ever do to a customer is wish upon them the fleas of a thousand camels. Or that they get audited by SARS (the South African Revenue Service - unfortunate, I know!).

Ree 02-02-2007 10:19 PM

Quote:

Quoth CrazedClerk (Post 80033)
However I am reminded of Kusnangi's thread about being assaulted at work.

Well, I have a strong hunch it is exactly because of that thread that a lot of the newer members have assumed we condone violence.

Being assaulted by customers is the exception rather than the rule, and a story as fantastic as Kusanagi's certainly doesn't happen on a daily basis.

Should a situation arise where a person is attacked, and there is no other choice but to fight back, that is a different thing altogether.
All we would ask is, if you do post about it, don't glorify the violence.

What we have a concern about is a customer being annoying and having a member think it's OK to threaten them with physical harm, or actually do something violent in retaliation.

CrazedClerk 02-03-2007 03:16 AM

Quote:

Quoth Ree (Post 80225)
Should a situation arise where a person is attacked, and there is no other choice but to fight back, that is a different thing altogether.
All we would ask is, if you do post about it, don't glorify the violence.

I hadn't thought about that too much but it makes sense. I mean god I make 7.85 an hour, NOTHING job related is worth risking my life over and I don't seen any benefit in risking my personal safety by provoking a customer. Not to mention it would likely result in me being fired and a lawsuit against the company. However, IF someone presents an immediate threat to me and I must act in self defense, I will.

BUT...attacking someone because you THINK they are going to attack you is not self defense, so there's a fine line there.

Ree 02-03-2007 03:24 AM

Quote:

Quoth CrazedClerk (Post 80309)
IF someone presents an immediate threat to me and I must act in self defense, I will.

That would be your choice, then, and as long as you don't come here making a post to brag about how you took down some customer who tried to attack you, and expect high fives and a pat on the back from all the members, then it's a choice you have to live with.

I make no judgments on it IF it happens, as long as it stays off this site.

Getoutofmylobby 02-04-2007 05:22 PM

I feel as if i should add that throwaway comments about violence aren't necessary. I recently posted something where I added a mental comment on what i would like to have done to someone. Saying you want to kick someone's ass really doesn't add anything to your post. It really doesn't add anything to your machismo either... :D

Discourtesy Clerk 02-08-2007 01:07 AM

So, then, where do :flame:, :punch:, :salmon:, and :chipper: fall into all this?

What I mean to say is, is it still alright to describe pretend violence against customers, etc. if it's obvious we're kidding? I don't pretend to speak for others, but I see a big distinction between joking about creative violence and actually saying we want to do it.