Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Asking another employee the same thing won't work!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asking another employee the same thing won't work!

Last week, an SC approached me in Menswear with a comforter set that was on clearance. She wanted to get the matching pillow set (or something along those lines), but couldn't find it.

Me: Well, since this item is clearance, the matching item was probably also clearanced out is sold out. Did you see any of the matching pillow set on the clearance endcap with this?
    SC: I found this in the Toy dept, apparently someone dropped it down. Could you show me where more would be, the matching set might be there.

Seems fair enough, especially since Domestics was right beside my department...it wouldn't have been a long walk. As I walk into the department, I see the other employee who was working in Domestics that night. He knew the products in his dept. more than I did, so I figure it'd save time to ask him first before checking for the customer. CW=Coworker.

Me: CW, I have this customer here who is looking for the matching pillow set to this comforter, have you seen it on any of your clearance endcaps?
    CW: (eyeing SC, sighing) We don't have it. I was already asked by her (the SC) a few minutes ago if we had it, and checked all of the clearance endcaps over here and couldn't find any. (he looks at the SC) We are still sold out, ma'am.
    SC: (embarassed) Well --- I just, uh, figured somebody would give me a different answer.
    CW: (politely, but sternly) I understand ma'am, but if we don't have it in stock, we don't have it!
    SC: Well thanks anyway.

I always like it when an SC is put in his or her place by calling out their stupidity. I was surprised she didn't complain for my co-worker's attitude!

"In cases of customer bathroom emergencies, the toilet itself becomes less of a goal and more of a loose suggestion." - Shamus

Quoth I_Hate_SCs
    CW: We are still sold out, ma'am.
    SC: (embarassed) Well --- I just, uh, figured somebody would give me a different answer.
    "Well, in that case, yes, we DO have some...just not for YOU."

She wanted a different answer, not necessarily the truth...
    Unseen but seeing
    oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
    There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
    3rd shift needs love, too
    RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I actually had this myself, same situation, also with me telling the customer we were out again. (I even checked the system for the customer, even showed them the item on the screen with a zero for quantity) The response?

"Well you don't have to be such an asshole about it"

I so wish I could have told them to get a clue that when I tell them quantity of zero = out of stock, nothing will change that apart fom getting in a new shipment, which rarely happens in 2 mins!
      I AM the evil bastard!
      A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

That reminds me of when kids ask Mummy for something, and she says no, so they go and ask Daddy. It's only just acceptable behaviour in a toddler, but for a grown adult?

Me non rogo, hic modo laboro.

Comment

Quoth I_Hate_SCs
          CW: (eyeing SC, sighing) We don't have it. I was already asked by her (the SC) a few minutes ago if we had it, and checked all of the clearance endcaps over here and couldn't find any. (he looks at the SC) We are still sold out, ma'am.
          *takes two Aleve*
          ...*thinks about it*
          *adds a Tylenol*
          .....*thinks about it some more*
          *adds a Zantac*
          .......*forgets about diet, goes to buy huge bag of chocolate*

It's painful...
          "Maybe the problem just went away...maybe it was the magical sniper fairy that comes and gives silenced hollow point rounds to people who don't eat their vegetables."

Comment

I have similiar experiences all to often. I'll have a customer ask me about something in my department (usually some CD/DVD we either dont stock or have run out of). I'll inform them that I am responsible for that particular product let them down gently and apologise for its unavailablity. End of conversation.

Until I hear over the tannoy "Can Hoops please come down to Customer Service" and shock horror! same customer, same question. Only difference is the amused grin on my face as I see them realise the depths of their stupidity.

Comment

About 50% of the time I tell a customer we're out of something in general, or about 80% of the time I tell a customer we're out of something without actually going back and checking (because I check the first two or three times somebody asks about a particular item but after that I know we're out of it), I get a page from either the service center or a cashier asking me about the item I just told the customer we were out of. It's my job to keep the aisles stocked in the middle of the day, if I say we're out of something, we're out of it (or maybe it's on the 3rd rack and there are pallets in front of the racking that I don't feel like moving, or maybe it's in the nose of a truck that I haven't unloaded yet, but the moral of the story is you're not getting it). Asking anybody else in the store will just result in them asking me because I'm the one that will know, so please just believe me when I say you can't have your product.
              "Who loves not women, wine, and song remains a fool his whole life long" ~Martin Luther
              "Always send a lazy man to the angel of death" ~Martin Luther
              My MySpace
              My LiveJournal

Comment

no one ever listens to you when you're out. even then, the first thing they ask you for is the demo units that you have in stock. THEY'RE DEMO FOR A REASON!!!! *stabs a fork in my eye*
                Movie, Music, Anime and many more reviews...coming soon!

Comment

We get the same thing here at the ISP. They call one tech, don't get the answer they want to hear, and call back to see if they can get it from someone else. I've even had them call a 3rd time when they were told the same answer by two different people.
                  "The light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off due to budget cuts." - Steven Wright

Comment

Old story, once again in Chesterfield...
                    I saw a guy perusing the boxsets one day, so I ask him if he's looking for something?
                    "James Bond sets..."
                    M: *blink, blink* "No, sir, all the James Bond movies are out of print."
                    "No, your website says you have boxsets of James Bond in the store."
                    M: "Far be it for me to doubt the veracity of what our website says, but I doubt the veracity of what our website says, seeing as we have to manually check our inventory at the store level. However, I will ask around with my coworers, see if anyone has heard anything."*goes to ask other employees, nothing, return to guy* "No, sir, no one has heard of such a thing as a James Bond boxset. Is there anything else I can help you with?"
                    "I guess not, I'll look around 'on my own'. "*with the implied 'Since you're incapable of doing your job' hovering over my head, which I ignore anyway*

I used to love it when people would come up to me, and ask me about Dragon Ball Z. Now, yes, I was the anime geek of the store, but no, DBZ was not high on my list of priorities, much less on my list of 'anime that deserves a place in the store'... I'd give them my best answer, and they'd wander off to find another coworker. Who would then return to me and ask me the same damn question. "I already told him, no, it's not available yet."

Like this stunner who caught me the middle of my second Christmas season:
                    "Do you have the Dragon Ball where Cell dies?"
                    M: "Well, theoretically, one would assume Cell lives until the last episode of the Cell games saga, at the very least, else, it would be titled a different series. As it is, the Cell Games saga isn't fully on the American market yet."
                    "No, I want the one where Cell dies."
                    M: "Not in America yet."
                    "I know I've seen it on TV!"
                    M: "Yes, the Cartoon Network has much deeper pockets than Funimation, and thus, can afford to get those dubbed episodes to air before Funimation can even think of putting them out for sale. Just like any other TV series, the TV has episodes that aren't available on DVD yet. For instance? The Seinfeld series (which was still four years in the making at that point)."
                    "No, I want the one where Cell dies."
                    M: "Come back in a few weeks, we might have one then. New DBZ releases every few weeks..."
                    Last edited by Imogene; 07-11-2006, 03:08 AM.
                    "I call murder on that!"

Comment

one of my worst customers openly accused me of lying, demanded I get another employee who "knew what they were talking about" and wasnt lazy like me.... she wanted "sulky of america" a quilting item that we DIDNT have any of. I ran the departments back room, I KNEW what was in that room as I spent a good part of each month in their. Plus on that line of products we didnt do the ordering, a rep from the company did, every single monday and if they had seen that it was empty and hadnt gotten us some, it meant our supplier was out of stock. She said to me and I can quote her because it was burned into my brain in outrage "well yes youve told me that but I dont believe you, why would the supplier be out of stock"

obviously shes never worked in any kind of job that requires THINKING, or supply and demand.... GRRRRRRR

I pointed her over to my Department Manager who said.... "oh hang on a second I'll just ask kiwi, she always knows if we have any hidden stock"

look on the customers face priceless... I told her to basically get out and never come back, she was STILL angry and STILL thought I was lying....

yeah im lying even though I have nothing to gain from it... cos thats logical
                      Last edited by Kiwi; 07-11-2006, 05:09 AM.
                      I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

This reminds me of a customer who tried every one of our published email addresses looking for a different answer than the one I originally gave her. As it happened that day, I was monitoring all of our email addresses but one, and the person who was monitoring the other one forwarded the message to me.

The kicker came when she gave up emailing and tried calling us. I was also on phone duty that day.
                        The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Comment

Oh, I love that- we get it alot.

Now, our counter area is not huge- I don't have to raise my voice to talk to someone at the other end.

Me: at one end of counter- had just emptied the drop boxes and was checking stuff in.
                          CW: at other end of counter talking to Stupid Customer

SC: "Do you guy's have a copy of Annapolis up here?"
                          CW: "NightAngel- is there a copy of Annapolis anywhere?"
                          Me: "No."
                          CW to SC: "No sir, we don't have any."
                          SC walks down to my end of the counter and looks longingly at the stacks of movies I'm scanning.
                          SC: "You got any Annapolis in there?"
                          Me: *glares* "No."
                          SC: "Never hurts to ask."

Me:
                          "I don't want any part of your crazy cult! I'm already a member of the public library and that's good enough for me, thanks!"

~TechSmith 314
                          HellGate: London

Comment

We have one customer who does this all the time.

In the four weeks I have worked at a call center, this woman has called ten times (And THREE of those times, she has been served by me), each time with a question about her balance, how much she has used her phone, etc. Every time, she is not happy with the initial answer to her question, hangs up on the evil person who dared give her bad news, and phones back, hoping to get a "better" reply from the next person.

What she does not know, is that EVERY call is logged, and we always know EXACTLY what our co-workers have told her... including the fact that she rudely hangs up on them.

AB, asking three different people about your phone bill is not going to make the actual bill any less, or make it magically go away. You use your phone, it goes on record, and the computers calculate the cost of your call, adds all the sums together and that's your bill. At some point, please learn this and stop wasting our time.
                            Any resemblance between your reality and mine is purely coincidental.

Comment

Working...
                            X