This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice to Unreasonable in 6 seconds

I work at the deli counter in a grocery store. I've been there about a month and I consider myself lucky that this was my first SC. He came up during a slow period of the day (rare in my world!) and asked for some kielbasa (I think that's how it's spelled). I had just wiped down all 3 scales and had only weighed one piece of kielbasa on one of them. So I cut the piece he wanted and put it on the scale.

Weird Guy: That doesn't look like a very clean scale you're putting that on.

Me: I just wiped it down about 5 minutes ago and I have only weighed another piece of the same meat on it. But if you would like I can cut a different piece for you and wipe down the scale again.

WG (screaming): NO! I'll just take my business elsewhere! You are clearly violating all health and safety codes!

Me: Sir honestly I haven't had any different kind of meat touch this scale since I cleaned it. Again though, I can get you another piece if it's that important to you.

WG (running away from the counter and still screaming): NO! You're horrible at this. You've already contaminated it. I don't want anything from you. I'll take my business elsewhere!!

I can't really capture the strangeness of this guy in words. He was super, super nice. Then just snapped. I've never had a problem weighing meat on the same scale for other customers. We only use it really for that kind of meat. And there's a skin you take off before you eat it anyways. He just made me angry. I've dealt with people like him for almost 5 years now and I still can't get used to it. I'm not as nice as I once was, but man... I just don't get it.

I've had that happen before. I nicely greeted a customer who asked me a question (if we had any more copies of a game). I asked him if he already checked the shelf and didn't see any there and he suddenly asks for a manager. I ask him why this was necessary and he told me my attitude sucked!!

Well, I am not good dealing with morons, so I start to lose my cool. I refused to waste the manager's time because this was just ridiculous. I told him that I would look it up if it made him happy and he stormed off. He eventually found a manager and bitched at him for at least 10 minutes. Nothing ever came of it (luckily our managers know when somebody is being stupid).

That guy had a telephone pole jammed up his ass, just like your SC did.

And I agree, I've been working with customers for awhile, and I just get angrier as time goes on. I just don't understand why some people are like they way they are. It is childish.

Comment

I'd dare say the guy is a germ-o-phobe. I can understand to a point but runnin off like that was very strange. Here in the deli's the deli folk put a piece of paper on the scale and then places the meat on the scale. Puttin the meat directly on metal then I'd probably politily decline and go elsewhere but not freak out.
      Bow down before me for I am ROOT

Preserving precious bodily fluids sine 1952

Comment

What a maroon! He wasn't Monk was he?

Comment

OMG it was sausage. He should probably be more worried about what is inside of it instead of the scale.
          Some people are just weird!

Comment

People who freak out over that kind of stuff make me laugh. They have no problem sticking their groceries in a germ infested, baby drooled, stale wet beer stained, nasty ass shopping cart. Or putting their food on a bacteria laden, dried cow blood, baby diaper sat on checkstand belt. Or me weighing their tomatoes on a scale that the last customers chicken dripped all over. (The checkstand scales have to be the grossest ever.) But put their sausage on a deli scale.....whooooey!
            Its kinda cute how they have no clue how pathetic they are.......
            WELCOME

Be Nice or I'll Make the Sun Go Away.

Comment

I agree that the gentleman overreacted, but for health reasons the scale really should be washed and sanitized with each use. Even if you have used it for only one kind of meat..if it has sat for any amount of time then bacteria can grow and such. I am reading a "serv safe" book at the moment because I have to be recertified by the state in health code and food handling practices. I was just reading about all the bacteria that is well known to delis and ready to eat foods..not very appetizing. The common ones most people associate with is Sammonella and E.Coli but there are a few more out there. So I say..it is better to be safe than sorry!! Just wash it down after each use..at least it will cover your butt if something happens.

Comment

The paper liner would be much quicker, and just as effective.
                Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.

Comment

To be fair, I should have used one of our papers and I would have if I hadn't just sanitized the scale. I knew that. He didn't. I didn't have a box of papers immediately at hand and I didn't go looking for one. That's where I could have done differently and I realize that. It was more the total flip out he had that I was angry about. And his ignoring my attempts to correct the situation. To me, that's the only reason he sucked.

Comment

Working...
                  X