Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We don't need no stinkin' security ...

Overheard today: a non-customer literally ran out of the store with a chainsaw.

Shortly thereafter, the same guy returned and this time ran out with yet another umpteen-hundred-dollar item.

But no, we don't need a sophisticated electronic security system ... or indeed any kind of electronic security system ...
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

Or even a human to watch for this crap. That kind of thing costs MONEY, dontchaknow.

Comment

If you mean TRAINED security personnel, yeah, exactly ... and it has apparently escaped their notice that, over time, the losses are going to amount to more than such a person would cost, especially at this rate.

We do have cashiers at the exit points (including the one where the guy ran out with the chainsaw and then the second item), but I believe we are specifically told NOT to chase down such scofflaws ... and even if we were not forbidden to do so, they'd have to pay me a damn sight more than minimum wage (with no benefits whatsoever) before I'd do it.
      ~ Mr Hero

Comment

And little things like cameras, recordings and the ability to call police... overrated. Even someone watching the cameras for idiots would pay for itself after a while. Nah, bugger that. What is best for THIS month/quarter's earnings?

Minimum wage ... I'm not even chasing down a burger for that money, much less some would-be track star.

Comment

Quoth Pixelated View Post
          Overheard today: a non-customer literally ran out of the store with a chainsaw.
          I'll admit, my first question upon reading that was "Did he run out with the chainsaw turned on?"

Comment

Quoth LadyofArc View Post
            I'll admit, my first question upon reading that was "Did he run out with the chainsaw turned on?"
            That would guarantee even LESS incentive for anybody to chase him down! (But no, I don't think he did.)
            ~ Mr Hero

Comment

My company doesn't want us to accuse anyone of stealing in case we offend them. I wish I was joking.
              I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

Comment

Ahh, yes. Even if they're visibly looting the place, we don't want to offend anyone lest they either "Not shop here again" or bring some sort of lawsuit.

PR woes are one of the new uber-boogiemen. Simply laying out facts and reasoning... too uncomplicated and easy to ignore in this era. Humans love a good witch hunt.

Comment

Quoth Trixie View Post
                  My company doesn't want us to accuse anyone of stealing in case we offend them. I wish I was joking.
                  I find that easy to believe. Some months back an admitted shoplifter complained to corporate because the LP hurt her feelings.
                  I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                  -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

You should just start putting signs up that show the resale value of all the items in the store, so shoplifters know which things to grab first...
                    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                    One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                    The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Quoth Nunavut Pants View Post
                      ... signs up that show the resale value of all the items in the store ...
                      Most home improvement stores have a list of contractors they recommend. This store can one-up the competition with a list of fences.
                      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth Nunavut Pants View Post
                        You should just start putting signs up that show the resale value of all the items in the store, so shoplifters know which things to grab first...
                        One of the ironies of all this ... we are not permitted to take our company vests home. Because, you know, somebody might steal it and pose as an employee. Because nobody at any store knows any other employee.

We can't have spare rolls of receipt paper at our stations, because somebody might steal them.
                        We can't have staplers at our stations, because somebody might steal them.

And so on.

But stealing several hundred dollars worth of product ... oh well ...
                        ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Of course.

If a customer shop lifts from you, then you are just providing customer service.

But only employees would dare steal vests and register tape and staplers, and that's stealing from the company.

It makes perfect sense right?

Comment

Sounds like your place uses the GameStop security method: Just blame the workers for all shrinkage.
                            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I think I was told in my early days with the company not to keep the register tape out in the open because customers could take it and make copies of receipts. Honestly if you go through that much trouble to get some money from a company, I say you deserve to have it. Now our registers are updated that it rejects any item that tries to get returned more than once.
                              Last edited by Trixie; 01-16-2019, 04:32 PM. Reason: too many thoughts
                              I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

Comment

Working...
                              X