X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Tow Files: Not Much Love for Me on V-Day

Ask Ignorant Question, Get Enlightening Response

Lady (And I use that term loosely, as in, the only thing she had in common with a proper lady was 2 "X" chromosomes) storms into the office indignation-first and declares she's here to pick up her towed car. So, I pull the paperwork out of the bin and start filling it out, that's where the fun starts.

- You should get a real job!
    - This is a real job, I get a real paycheck every month
    - *scoffs* Whatever! WRITE FASTER I'M LATE BECAUSE OF YOU!

scribble, scribble,scribble

- You should've gone to college!
    - I did, class of 2000, Penn State University
    - *scoffs* Shut up! Just write!

scribble, scribble, scribble

- You know, you really need to get a real job!
    - As I said before Miss...
    - *scoffs* JUST BE QUIET AND FINISH THE DAMN PAPERWORK!
    - ... this is a real job, I get paid...
    - *scoffs* WHATEVER! WRITE!!!!
    - ... for it.

scribble, scribble, scribble

- So, you went to college, and now you're a TOW TRUCK DRIVER?
    - Yep, It pays the bills
    - PAYS THE BILLS???
    - Yep, it's a living
    - *scoffs* Learn to use your major or something!
    - I'd love to *holds up left hand* but as you see, missing a finger on this hand kinda disqualifies me from..
    - JUST FINISH! I DON'T WANT TO HEAR IT!
    - ... working in that field

scribble, scribble, done

-okay, sign here on the bottom please

Lady signs ACROSS THE WHOLE PAGE FROM CORNER TO CORNER, slams the pen down and storms out. Aside from being fun as an experiment to see if I could actually get her to hyperventilate, without success, I'd like everyone to use this as a learning tool. Everytime you have an SC who belittles your career or "obvious" lack of education, and after they leave you bemoan the fact you never got a chance to tell them their assumptions were wrong? Forget it, as you can clearly see, they just keep moving the goalposts so that they're the perfect one and you're the troglodyte. But, it IS fun to watch them do it, I probably shouldn't toy with them like this.

Playing Stupid Will Get Yous Nowhere

- This is Argabarga with Friendly Neighborhood Towing, I believe someone at this number called looking for a VW Jetta?
    - Yes that was me
    - Okay, I have one here from 818 California Av, green with Maryland plates, if that's the vehicle it looks like we do have it.
    - But, but why was it towed?
    - It was called into us for having an expired permit
    - No! I have a permit!
    - The only permit we can see in the car right now is an old sticker from 2011 in the lower left corner of the rear window, we went around it three times before we towed it and saw no current permit or temp pass.
    - But my permit is CURRENT!
    - No it is not ma'm, it's an old 2011 blue permit, current 2012's at that complex are lime green in color, valid until June of 2012. Yours is the wrong color and it says right on it "Expires 12/31/2011" , so it is expired and has been for 2 months now.
    - I have a good permit in that car!
    - Where was it located? Because we don't see one.
    - It's in THE REAR WINDOW DOWN IN THE CORNER!
    - Like I said ma'm, the only permit visible in this car is long expired.
    - Fine! This is a real f*cking racket you run! I hope you're happy picking on f*cking poor college students because you ruined my f*cking night! I have places to go and things to do and you just took my f*cking car for no reason at all! I LIVE THERE! I HAVE A PERMIT!
    - An expired one, and if you swear at me again I will disconnect this call, there's no reason for that.
    - FINE! GET A REAL JOB! *click*

I will submit your suggestions to get a "Real Job" (tm) to the proper oversight committee, ma'm. You don't by chance know the other charming lady who was here earlier do you? See, she made the same request and maybe you could keep her updated on the progress of the ol' job search, saves me from making 2 phone calls. Oh, and for future reference kids, if you try the I-lived-here-last-semester-but-I-moved-and-my-pals-didn't-so-I'll-just-sneak-back-in-on-last-years-permit-for-the-big-party trick, don't, we know that one by heart. And if you get caught, don't lie about it, that's just silly.

Huzzah! The Stupidity Has Been Doubled!

-Yeah, I have someone in my spot
    -Okay, what spot number and address?
    -It's spot 3
    -And the address?
    -Uh, I don't know, it's Eastview Apartments
    -Okay, I'm not familiar with that location, we must not tow from there very often, what is the street address?
    -Uh.....
    -Or, do you know what street it's on? Or what it's close to?
    -Uh... ya know, nevermind, I'll just park across the street in this other place's lot for tonight.
    -Uhm, are you SURE you want to do that? You might get towed
    -No, it's fine, sorry to bother you guys, have a nice night! *click*

*sigh* Where did Mom and Dad go wrong? Scary part? She might still be of child-rearing age
    - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

I, too, have been berated for my (and my co-worker's) so called "lack of education" by...wait for it....someone stupid enough to ignore at least a dozen "no parking towing enforced" signs at Kinko's.

She yelled at me, across the crowded lobby, "Ya'll are just working here because you're too stupid to work anywhere else!"

And I yelled back across that same crowded lobby "That may be the case, but at least we all know where our rides are."

Evidently, when a person is angry, hearing other customers laugh at you makes you even madder. Double that if you try to slam the door in front of all the aforementioned snickering people and the pneumatics on the door turns your self righteous door slam into a quiet, polite little fart of air.

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
      [...]- Fine! This is a real f*cking racket you run! I hope you're happy picking on f*cking poor college students because you ruined my f*cking night! I have places to go and guys to do[...]
      Edited for entertainment/possibly more honesty?
      Long days, short nights, a bottle of NOS makes it all right.

Canadians Unite !

Comment

The last time someone told me that, I told them "You first."
        I'm guessing he had heard that before in his own job, considering all he did was sputter and had no response, especially over the laughter of the rest of the group he was with.
        Last edited by Dave1982; 02-15-2012, 07:35 PM. Reason: formatting tags
        I'm the 5th horsemen of the apocalypse. Bringer of giggly bouncy doom, they don't talk about me much.

Comment

Okay I gotta ask, what's your major?

Your customers all seem to need better thought processes.

Comment

Ask Ignorant Question, Get Enlightening ResponseBut, it IS fun to watch them do it, I probably shouldn't toy with them like this.
            Probably not, but it is fun for us to read about it.

I'd almost be tempted to lie to them... "Yes, I am in college right now, this pays the tuition. I'm studying psychiatry."

Just to see how they react to that...

Huzzah! The Stupidity Has Been Doubled!
            I can see this now... she's complaining on the phone to someone else who towed her car that because someone had parked in her spot, it should have been OK for her to park in another person's spot.

(And if she elevates it to Super Sucky, she'll say that you said it would be all right.)
            "Kamala the Ugandan Giant" 1950-2020 • "Bullet" Bob Armstrong 1939-2020 • "Road Warrior Animal" 1960-2020 • "Zeus" Tiny Lister Jr. 1958-2020 • "Hacksaw" Butch Reed 1954-2021 • "New Jack" Jerome Young 1963-2021 • "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff 1949-2021 • "Beautiful" Bobby Eaton 1958-2021 • Daffney 1975-2021

Comment

Quoth El Pollo Guerrera View Post
              I'd almost be tempted to lie to them... "Yes, I am in college right now, this pays the tuition. I'm studying psychiatry."
              (While taking shorthand notes on clipboard.)
              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

"Please don't cuss at me so fast, I gotta write down all the good stuff"
                - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

I am also curious as to what your major is.

My majors in my Arts degree are International Relations and Politics, with a particular focus on Terrorism and Australian Political Parties respectively. I have them set as a fallback. My postgraduate degree is in Primary School & Special Education.
                  The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Argabarga majored in Pwnage.
                    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

*Waves* An unemployed, ex-debt collector Forensic scientist over here.

Angry SC: Why don't you get a real job instead of harassing innocent people?!
                      Me: Actually I have a bachelors of science.
                      ASC: (sneering) Yeah right, what did you study, art or another of those stupid fake courses they do to make you feel better about yourself?
                      Me: No, as I said, Bachelors of *Science*, to be specific a first in BSC honours Forensic Science and Criminology.
                      ASC: Well....get a job in that then!
                      Me: Oh I'm trying. but newly graduated, you know how it is.

All said in a syrupy voice as though i was just having a nice chat with them. Best revenge possible.

Comment

See, here's what they don't get: Even if YOU got a different job, somebody else would still be working for the towing company, and their car would still get towed.

So who's the dummy here?
                        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

See, she made the same request and maybe you could keep her updated on the progress of the ol' job search, saves me from making 2 phone calls.
                          Hmm....I really don't think you should be relying on people like this to help you with job searches, man. The HR people might think that you're on the same mental level as these...human-like creatures...are.

Or worse...they could try and get you a job where *they* work
                          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

As opposed to what I wonder? An Unreal job? I don't think Unreal ever had an rpg-style job system, but whatever.

- *scoffs* Whatever! WRITE FASTER I'M LATE BECAUSE OF YOU!
                            I'm surprised you didn't pull out the old classic "the more you cuss, the slower I write."

Again I seem to have MASH on my mind alot. I'm reminded of an early scene with Col. Blake dictating a letter to Radar complaining to ICorps about the lack of winter fuel.

Blake
                            "(Complains about the cold)... I'm wearing so many pairs of cotton drawers my thighs don't know each other anymore."

Radar
                            "(Scribbles) (Scribbles) ...thighs don't know each other anymore.

Blake
                            "Radar! Don't tell them about my thighs!"

Ah good times
                            Happiness is the exercise of vital powers along lines of excellence in a life affording you scope.

Comment

Best line ever.

Comment

Working...
                              X