This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well ... I tried ...

Big Box Bookstore is hiring seasonal help. I have applied to them numerous times and not even gotten as far as an interview.

So today I dropped in at the site that's hiring and asked to speak to a manager, emphasizing that I was NOT there to complain. I explained the situation to her and asked if she had any suggestions on how I could "spark up" my resume or cover letter.

She got a rather glum look on her face and said it was all done online, and she had no idea what they are looking for. She did add, though, that I shouldn't worry about the cover letter too much, as they are more concerned about experience and availability ...

But I do know that a former tea coworker got hired on at a different site because somebody already there managed to shoehorn her in. So yeah ... it's not ALL online.

Anyway, I gave it a shot. Will apply again and see what happens.
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

If you are dealing with any of the online applying make sure whatever you put for your experiences match the keywords they have in the job ad. Since it is a computer picking the people it thinks would best fit it picks by the keywords from the job ad. I hope this helps.

Comment

Yep, the sorter program has a version of buzz-word bingo. Match up keywords and win...
      Generally, you'll want your resume to read pretty much like the job posting, listing out all the things from the ad, "Yes I do X", "Yes, I do Y"...
      And yes, it is just a little silly, but it helps sort out *some* of the no-hope applicants, or so the theory goes.

Comment

A placement firm once told me (actually a whole room of us who had just been laid off from a large tech firm) that they knew someone who would copy the job ad and paste it onto the end of their resume in very tiny type, and the same color as the background. Humans wouldn't see it, but filter programs would note that you matched every single keyword...
        “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
        One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
        The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Working...
        X