This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• discussion...

I've been rereading the Harry Dresden books for the 5th time, and I think I've come to a conclusion...

these books are VERY well written, but the way they are playing out....its being written as if they had already happened....as if hes looking back on these memories rather then speaking them as they happen then.

I know this is supposed to be a 24 (or so) book series, but am I alone in this?
    It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

I've always thought so too. Like the events in the books are being told about well after the fact.
    "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Comment

Technically, the standard writing voice (3rd person limited, past tense) is writing from memories. Yet we find it a more immediate voice for standard fantasy, even if the novel occurs in present time.

But it is a possibility.
      My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

I don't think I've ever not enjoyed a Dresden book, and listened to the last one on tape, which was awesome (the reader was very good). I've always thought a lot of fantasy/sci fi books were fantastically detailed, almost too much so, but it just made the read that much more vivid when I could almost taste and smell what they were talking about.
        "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Well the last was read by lionel luthor, all the rest by spike
          Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
          Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

Comment

That's just the standard first person POV. "I walked into the room... She hit me with her cane..." etc. Past tense. Present tense would be "I walk into the room. She hits me with her cane..." etc.

Most novels are written in what could be considered past tense. It's not intended specifically as someone's memories (unless the story says so), but I suppose it does come off that way.
            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

The series from the start has been played out as your standard PI/Sherlock Holmes style of narrative. They are always told after the case has been investigated and the solution found

Comment

The perspective is very consistant with Noir-style, hard-boiled detective stories, which is what hooked me in the begining.

Keep in mind, Hartigan's story, The Yellow Bastard, from the Sin City series was told in the same tense, and he definately died at the end. SPOILER: And Harry's already "died" once.
                The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Working...
                X