This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to get a job...

My friend was applying for a job in a nice office. There were six candidates so she did her homework-dressed up fairly smart, had her CV and paperwork all in order, found out a little about the company,made sure to get there in good time. After all,it was sure to be quite a strong contest surely and every little impression helps.

Well... 2 candidates did not show.
    2 candidates turned up late.
    1 candidate turned up in ripped jeans and trainers and a hoodie.

So she got the job purely by turning up.. on time... looking presentable and being halfway competent. It does help when the rest of your rivals manage to eliminate themselves for you...
    The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Yikes. It's sad when the competition is so pathetic.
    My son thinks I'm Lucifer Morningstar. I'm not sure he's wrong.

Comment

A win by default is still a win.
      I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
      -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

30+ years ago, The Wife applied for a job at the university that I worked at. I was told that she was the only qualified candidate to apply.
        Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
        Save the Ales!
        Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Kit-Ginevra: Congrats to your friend for getting the job! You really have to wonder about the other "contenders" ...

Quoth csquared View Post
          30+ years ago, The Wife applied for a job at the university that I worked at. I was told that she was the only qualified candidate to apply.
          In all my years of job-hunting, I've lost track of the times I've been told "Okay, you don't really meet the qualifications, but apply ANYWAY."

Sometimes it's a matter of something simple (a classmate of mine applied for a job in which two years of work in the field were "required" but she made a sufficiently good impression that she -- with the ink on her diploma still wet -- was hired anyway). But sometimes the attitude seems to be "You're upright and breathing; that might be all they really want!" even though the ad asks for five years of experience in something very specific.
          Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
          ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Quoth Pixelated View Post

In all my years of job-hunting, I've lost track of the times I've been told "Okay, you don't really meet the qualifications, but apply ANYWAY."

... even though the ad asks for five years of experience in something very specific.
            The thing is, sometimes the "X years of experience" is pure BS. In CS, companies have been known to demand "10 years of experience" for a software package that hasn't been around that long.

Comment

I'm having the opposite problem here. Job listing shows "Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience" and then the automated system immediately asks if you have a Master's degree. If you say no, you get dumped out for failing to meet the criteria.

I've followed up on a couple of these now and I have been assured they want a Master's degree (for an ENTRY LEVEL JOB???) and this isn't an error. Nor is the job listing incorrect. Somehow... I disagree.

Comment

My sister applied for a job years ago, and one of the applicants made her self comfortable by sitting cross-legged on the floor and taking her shoes off.

Comment

Working...
                X