This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That's ... probably why your cards have been declined

Had a couple come through my line with a fairly decent collection of groceries the other day. Wife tries to pay with a credit card. Declined. She tries a second time. Declined.

Me: "Do you have another method payment?"

Husband steps up with a card. Declined.

Me: *thinks "Uh-oh ..."*

Wife (peering at card): "I don't understand this, it shouldn't be ..." She trails off.

And then looks up, embarrassed. "OMG, my card expired last month."

Hubby's card had expired at the same time ...

They pulled out a debit card and paid. They were very nice about it -- and also fairly embarrassed.
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

That's surprising. They aren't really bad shoppers after all. A bit negligent, but everyone makes mistakes.
    Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

I'm a little curious how they missed that, not because I'd notice something like that, but because I've never had a bank not send me new cards before the current one expires, after all, they can't make money from me if'n my card doesn't work.
      Seph
      Taur10
      "You're supposed to be the head of covert intelligence. Right now, I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of intelligence. Covert, overt, or otherwise!"-Lochley, B5, A View from the Gallery

Comment

I had someone hand back a card saying it was expired once. The replacement cards had been stolen out of the mail.
        Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
        Save the Ales!
        Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

A lot of times they just get lost in the mail too. I take calls about that every single day. Then we have to do a lost/stolen and issue a new card #.
          https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
          Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Quoth Javarod View Post
            I'm a little curious how they missed that, not because I'd notice something like that, but because I've never had a bank not send me new cards before the current one expires, after all, they can't make money from me if'n my card doesn't work.
            My wife had that happen once, because she mistook the envelope the replacement card came in as junk mail and threw it out without opening it. She didn't realize it until she tried to use her existing card and found out it was expired.
            Sometimes life is altered.
            Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
            Uneasy with confrontation.
            Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
              My wife had that happen once, because she mistook the envelope the replacement card came in as junk mail and threw it out without opening it. She didn't realize it until she tried to use her existing card and found out it was expired.
              This is why I always open junk mail. Besides, sometimes they have something useful, like return address labels or small note pads.
              "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

In fact, the credit card renewals I've seen are distinctive in their anonymity. Plain envelope with a return address but no company name, but unlike much spam, are addressed to you correctly..

Comment

When I'm dealing with sending someone a new card, I make a point of telling them the envelope will not indicate it's from my employer, and advise that they check any mail during expected delivery timeframe that feels like it might have a debit card in it.

Yes, I have had callers who admitted they probably mistook the original mailing for junk and likely accidentally threw out their new card. It's not a difficult mistake to make, so I'm a lot more sympathetic there than to the "I leave my wallet in the car and it got stolen" types.
                  "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

I had my debit card declined once, and was immensely embarrassed. Got home, went through my mail, and the new card was there. There had been a security breach so new cards had been issued.

Comment

Working...
                    X