X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes, we have no bananas ... because ONE customer bought 'em all

Okay, that's a bit of an exaggeration

I was given a four-hour shift on the register today (with a "babysitter" in attendance, thank whatever deities you choose) and one of my customers was a man with a toddler in the buggy ... and TWELVE BUNCHES OF BANANAS. Not 12 bananas, but 12 bunches. I looked down the counter when he first started unloading and all I could see were two nice neat lines of yellow fruit ...

Me to toddler: "Are you gonna eat ALL those bananas?!"

Toddler: *big toothy grin*

On the bright side, I have definitely memorized the input code for bananas, yes indeedy.
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

I remember my sister being surprised when my then 5-year-old nephew finished off a melon bigger than his head. That said, feeding a toddler that many bananas is... the wrong way to solve the dirty-diaper problem. ;-) (Bananas are famously "binding".)

Comment

My mentor was chatting with the customer and I thought I heard something about banana splits and parties and stuff like that, so ... I don't think the kid will actually eat ALL of them .

But given that all of 'em were ripe enough to eat (none green) I hope they either get eaten REALLY soon, or get stuffed into the freezer for future banana bread. Otherwise they'll just be a high-potassium addition to the family's compost heap.

Bananas are binding? I didn't know that. I thought that, being a fruit, they would have the opposite effect.
      Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
      ~ Mr Hero

Comment

12 bunches of bananas is nothing. My first day at the Store I had a customer grab an entire case of dried peppers off the produce rack and bring it to my line.

Comment

Quoth Pixelated View Post
          Bananas are binding? I didn't know that. I thought that, being a fruit, they would have the opposite effect.
          That's why it's notable enough to mention. But they're not all that "powerful," most people will probably need to eat two or more before they start noticing an effect.

Comment

My neighbor walked into a local grocery store and saw bananas on sale. Stopping an assistant manager, asked what the price per pound would be for all the bananas (which were getting riper by the minute.) She bought them all and dehydrated them.

Comment

I passed two guys at the grocery store today and they were each holding arm fulls of store brand vanilla coffee creamer. At least a dozen if not more. It struck me as odd because even if they were hosting a very large breakfast, you would not need that many, and if you did you'd go to Costco or the other bulk food store in town. And why only one flavor. And also, why not get a shopping cart or hand basket? So many questions.
              Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

This happened back in, oh, 1989 or so, when I was still a grocery store bagger.

They sent me on break. When I came back, I started checking the lanes to see if anyone needed any bagging, and sure enough, there's a customer, so I get over there and set up the bags without really looking at the customer. Then I look up. There's a pile of kids' snack stuff (cookies, chips, etc., probably about $20 worth.

And behind that... a massive mound of peanut M&Ms in 1/2- and 3/4- pound bags, the largest they made at the time. Apparently the customer's husband had asked for some, but she'd forgotten when she'd done the regular grocery shopping earlier that day, and he said something snarky.

When I went off-duty about an hour later, I detoured past the bins where the peanut M&Ms were kept to verify something I strongly suspected... and yep, she took 'em all.

(My parents, incidentally, didn't believe me - until the cashier, whose parents lived next door, came home telling the same story.)
                "I often look at every second idiot and think, 'He needs more power.'" --Varric Tethras, Dragon Age II

Comment

Working...
                X