This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with Florida labor laws.

Ok, I tried searching through a couple government sites, but I can't make any sense of them.

Could anyone give me a link regarding Florida Labor Laws, specifically anything dealing with required breaks, bathroom usage, accommodations for people with medical issues, and (if possible) Air Conditioning usage?

Sounds like a weird grouping of subjects, but I'm trying to help my sister out
    <Insert clever signature here>

http://safety.1800inet.com/product.p...oducts_id/5419

that poster should be posted in your workplace or her workplace in the breakroom and explains everything.

http://employment.findlaw.com/?DCMP=KWC-G-PUBLIC

or ask them. If anything, message me and ask specifically, I live in Tampa and know most things.

Comment

Quoth Lenorecat View Post
      If anything, message me and ask specifically, I live in Tampa and know most things.
      Just because that becomes a dare

How many people (residents and tourists) decide to find out if their dashboard really is hot enough to fry an egg each August?

Comment

maybe 365000? dunno. I do know when they are going to Busch Gardens, most of them DON'T know where they are going. PAin in the butt on the road out here. And then if they go to HOS and you work there, they seem to be the most drunk too.

Comment

I live in Miami. The only thing I can tell you is that, for a normal, healthy person (no medical conditions or special circumstances), employers are NOT legally required to give a break regardless of the duration of the shift.

Comment

Here is a site that may answer the questions: http://www.laborlawtalk.com/archive/index.php/f-58.html

Also: http://www.stateofflorida.com/Portal....aspx?tabid=10

I would suggest she call the local employment office or the state main line and ask for the information.
            Labor boards have info on local laws for free
            HR believes the first person in the door
            Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
            Document everything
            CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

I am still being heckled to this day after finding the CA law that said an employee provided rest room had to be kept at 68 degrees F or higher. Dammit, I got tired of walking into a freezer to do my business! :P

Comment

Quoth PCGameGuy View Post
                Dammit, I got tired of walking into a freezer to do my business! :P
                The difficult part is finding your business in a freezer.
                I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                  The difficult part is finding your business in a freezer.
                  Oi, ain't that the truth. Having to talk Mr. Winky down after having been outside in -30 weather is not my idea of fun.
                  Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Aren't there federal work laws too?

Comment

Quoth casey13 View Post
                      Aren't there federal work laws too?
                      In the US, usually the State laws are stricter than the Federal ones.
                      Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Depends on what the laws are about, too.

For instance, I'm pretty sure that OSHA (which is federal) has stricter laws about workplace temperatures than most states.
                        I once worked in a place that received a mild warning from an OSHA inspector: told him he had to buy an air conditioner by the following summer, because it was 120 degrees (F) in the store in August. (Pizza delivery)

Comment

Bathroom breaks are covered under federal law. Basically employers have to provide reasonable access to the bathroom and can't keep you waiting for access. I posted a link to the information in one of Snugglegirl's threads.

Medical issues are also covered under federal law under the ADA, which requires employers make "reasonable accomodations" for employees with medical conditions or disabilities. Time off needed for a medical condition would also be covered under federal law under FMLA.

I believe that the federal government is silent about breaks and air-conditioning. So you would need to look under Florida law to see if they have any laws governing those issues.

States are welcome to expand on these requirements. But states cannot pass laws that go against what the federal government requires. For example a state may have HIGHER minimum wage than required under federal law, but no state may pass a law allowing payment of a smaller minimum wage than the federal government requires.

So always look at the federal employer requirements first. Then check the state to see if they have any requirements in addition to the federal ones.
                          The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Comment

Working...
                          X