Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When the weather changes so should driving habits.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a side note: One of the worst people to get into a fight with be a medic. The training be on how fragile the body be, and how it can be taken apart (with the idea of how to put it back together and such)

I'm thinking that the idiot who tried stupid games with AkaiKitsune's horses got real lucky in not being disassembled on the spot during some of those stunts. (Even the mare who did get hold of said idiot didn't do that much damage)

As for using humanity for your entertainment.... why the hell not? Hell, when I'm hard up for a laugh, I go look in the mirror and laugh at the monkey.

Comment

Quoth Chanlin View Post
      One of the Gentlemen that regularly teaches the Level 2 climbing course for the BSA uses a similar system. He coordinates rescues for the Red River Gorge region
      I used to hike that area a LOT as a kid. My dad would take us. I'll never forget hiking several miles (mostly uphill) to see a (small) waterfall. But hey, the cold water felt good after a long hike, lol. And the 745 stairs (the siblings counted) to the top of Natural Bridge. Great view.

As an imaging tech, I'm not trained for triage, but I have to keep a BLS certification and can tell the difference between arterial blood and venous. I could probably start a line if the EMTs needed an extra set of hands or hook up/watch an EKG. I've never been trained on the specifics of the tag system, but it seems fairly easy to figure out. Green is good, yellow or orange is ok, but keep an eye on so they don't get worse, red is bad, black is don't bother. TL;DR, I know enough to be useful, but probably shouldn't be the one in charge.

Last year I took a (free) CEU course with the state Radiologic Disaster Response Team and we got trained on what to do in the event there was some kind of disaster involving radiation. Chemical spill, train derailment, dirty bomb, whatever. Long story short, you treat the injuries first. Minimize radioactive contamination as best you can, but if someone's bleeding out, that takes precedence. When we split into groups for a mock exercise, somehow my group ended up with all the imaging techs and not a single nurse. We know how to read the GM meter (which honestly isn't that hard. needle buries on the other end of the scale, something's radioactive) and decontamination procedures, but we don't know squat about triage, wound debridement, or anything like that. It was fun, but my group needed a lot of guidance since we're just not trained for it.
      I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

See, one of the few advantages to having a military family (every twig, branch and leaf on the family tree... And I do mean everyone since about the second crusade.) is that I get access to training and opportunities that as a civilian now, I really shouldn't have free access to. Things like HAZMAT (the real kind not the 1hr WHIMIS course crap.) Combat First Aid (TTC & TCCC), plus a whole host of other things that join the acronym party going on. I also do search and rescue volunteer work when I'm bored/have time because I might as well put the skills I have to good use. Aside from first aid training I have unofficial training as a long distance marksman (curtesy of Little Russian Yoda, and yes the capital letters are necessary, who was ex-special forces of some kind Yoda refuses to talk about.), HAZMAT, repel training (both from a helicopter and from a cliff or building), dive training, skydiving up to 50,000ft (masks are awesome. The rush is epic. I hate static lines.), water rescue, I can navigate just about anywhere if I have a map and compass, wilderness survival training (because I'm not an idiot and I enjoy going up to the Rockies to have a break from humanity. You need to know your shit up there or your screwed.), map and compass training, Ice rescue certification, and different rope tricks to rig different harnesses up, knot training (I am the daughter and granddaughter of a bunch of navy lifers. I'm pretty sure they would have disowned me if I couldn't tie a few knots by now)
        Don’t worry about what I’m up to. Worry about why you are worried about what I’m up to.

Comment

So if there is a Zombie outbreak, we all need to find you? Because you can treat any bites and kill them off at a distance?

And stop us from getting lost in the middle of nowhere?
          A good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read. - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Comment

Quoth Blue Ginger View Post
            So if there is a Zombie outbreak, we all need to find you? Because you can treat any bites and kill them off at a distance?

And stop us from getting lost in the middle of nowhere?
            I think you're a littl screwed on bites and I'll be at the stables stealing a very expensive horse so that when you can't get gas for your car I'm still able to run from the zombies. Survival of the fittest and all that.
            Don’t worry about what I’m up to. Worry about why you are worried about what I’m up to.

Comment

Quoth AkaiKitsune View Post
              ...and I'll be at the stables stealing a very expensive horse so that when you can't get gas for your car I'm still able to run from the zombies.
              Sensible. They make less noise (therefore attracting less zombies) than cars and are self repairing. Food/water shouldn't be too much of a problem if you find the right hideout, and they're extra warmth when it's cold.
              "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Quoth greek_jester View Post
                Sensible. They make less noise (therefore attracting less zombies) than cars and are self repairing. Food/water shouldn't be too much of a problem if you find the right hideout, and they're extra warmth when it's cold.
                They can also navigate terrain that a car can't. Go around or over obstacles that would otherwise necessitate getting out of your car (leaving yourself vulnerable to attack), access the situation, and either find an alternative route or move things (which would take time and probably make noise). You would be less likely to be trapped or ambushed by the human variety of day ruiners. A horse would also be good watch at camp because their hearing is much better and they would hear the zombies coming long before the human does (and their ears will point in the direction giving you an idea of where their coming from).

There's also the bonus of being able to wack assholes as you race past them.

Customer service would be so much more honest if we had a zombie apocalypse...

Comment

Customer service would be so much more honest if we had a zombie apocalypse...
                  We already have that. it's called "Black Friday."
                  "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                  "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                  "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                  "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                  "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                  "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                  Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                  "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Now I have to restock Burt and Ernie. Yes I named them. Yes I do in fact realize just how screwed up and morbid that is.
                    I definitely don't see that as morbid. I used to have the police beat during my time on that little weekly newspaper. You want to hear some warped humour ... although actually any emergency personnel will do. It's how most of them cope.

Can't say I'm sorry to hear Mr. "I'm Too Important to Drive Sensibly" bought it at the accident site, although I'm sorry for the grief it will cause his family and friends. Glad to hear that was the ONLY death.

This is largely why I have stayed off super-highways for many a year now, although sometimes even city driving isn't a whole lot safer.
                    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
                    ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Working...
                    X