Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SC was furious, outraged, sick with anger!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SC was furious, outraged, sick with anger!

I've always wanted to work this quote into one of my posts. Anyways, on to the story. Short one today.

SC comes in asking to use our phone.

SC: Do you have a phone I can borrow? I might get a room here.
    Me: I'm sorry we don't have a public phone?
    SC: Could you let me use your phone as a friend? As a friend? I don't even know you!
    Me: I'm afraid I don't feel comfortable with people I don't know knowing my number.
    SC: They won't know your number. I'm just trying to call my dad. Then unless he has a landline w/o caller ID, HE will know my number.
    Me: There's a payphone just a five minute walk down the street.
    SC: Forget it then. It's not worth it to get a room.

You're right. You're not worth the $80 that our hotel could have gotten.
    To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

What a sad world we live in when people won't even trust complete strangers with their cellpones. I mean seriously Hero, what if I needed your car? Why wouldn't you just hand your keys over to me inspite of the fact that I don't drive and you're not insured to let me drive it?

Comment

It's one thing to ask for the use of a phone to call emergency - or for the other person to call emergency. Heck, I'd call a police non-emergency line for someone at need.

But not a random number.
      Seshat's self-help guide:
      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Me: I'm afraid I don't feel comfortable with people I don't know knowing my number.
        I don't mind letting customers use the work phone since our number is public information anyway but... if it was my own cell phone then I'd just tell them the truth...

"Sorry I don't have it." I keep my phone locked in the car while I'm at work.

Comment

Let's see, should I hand over something small, expensive and portable, full of personal information, to a person I've never seen in my life.....

Decisions, decisions.

Same standard answer I would have given a person knocking on my door saying their car broke down back in the olden days of land lines - if it's an emergency (911) or even semi-emergency (tow truck, etc) tell me the number and I'll make the call for you. Otherwise, the nearest pay phone is... Strangers are not asked into my house, nor given expensive objects not tied down, LOL.

Madness takes it's toll....
          Please have exact change ready.

Comment

Don't forget the SCs who will dial long-distance or extra-charge phone numbers that will rack up your bill or chew thru your pre-allocated minutes like there is no tomorrow.

Comment

I agree with nate you shoulda given them your phone, your wallet, your keys, ne offshore accounts and hell might as well throw in your social for kicks and giggles haha

Yea seshat i agree, emergency is one thing, calling randoms another. and def wouldn't just hand over my phone while im behind a counter so that person could potentially just run off with it -_- also find it very funny that they might get a $80 room but won't go use a $.50-$2 payphone haha

I woulda been like hey if you get that room you'll have a phone =) lmao

Comment

I can't believe the chutzpah of people who think it's OK to demand (he really wasn't asking) to use the expensive electronic device that comes with an expensive monthly service plan of other people.

Even if the person has a cheap throwaway cell, it's still an expense that has to be metered carefully by the owner.

Admittedly, many cellphones can block their own number for outgoing calls. But that's not the point.

A stranger will get my cellphone out of my stone dead cold fingers and no other way.
                They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

I wouldn't let a stranger use my phone. You have no idea what kind of damage they might have in mind to do.

Comment

Quoth Bright_Star View Post
                    I wouldn't let a stranger use my phone. You have no idea what kind of damage they might have in mind to do.
                    Or who they're really going to call. Could be planning to threaten somebody or do something else stupid and/or illegal, and then the record of that call would be on your phone. How could you prove it wasn't you that made the call?
                    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                      Or who they're really going to call. Could be planning to threaten somebody or do something else stupid and/or illegal, and then the record of that call would be on your phone. How could you prove it wasn't you that made the call?
                      Yikes I hadn't even thought about that! My main concern last night was that if a stranger had my number, he could make harassing calls to me.
                      To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

First .. @Merriweather. There are some great posts on CS..and I rarely comment on them..but that .. that was a great post. Just had to say that.

Now..I am far too trusting..I will admit it. Half the things people cautioned about (and correctly) never even crossed my mind. So..good advice to follow.
                        Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Earl makes a good point. The SC didn't say that it was a local call to their "father", so they might have ended up costing you a fortune.
                          Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx

Comment

Letting them use your phone means that they will be rubbing their face all over said phone, now you can always wipe it down but depending on your phone stuff gets in grooves and actually sanitizing it can be difficult, so then when you go to use it you may as well be rubbing their face on yours.

*ick*

Comment

Quoth Merriweather View Post
                              Let's see, should I hand over something small, expensive and portable, full of personal information, to a person I've never seen in my life.....

Decisions, decisions.

Same standard answer I would have given a person knocking on my door saying their car broke down back in the olden days of land lines - if it's an emergency (911) or even semi-emergency (tow truck, etc) tell me the number and I'll make the call for you. Otherwise, the nearest pay phone is... Strangers are not asked into my house, nor given expensive objects not tied down, LOL.
                              I will give you my quick answer on that decision . . .

HELL to the NO.

I don't mind calling 911 for someone, but letting them use my impossibly-expensive to replace (and long awaited) little pink iPhone to call whatever random number ain't happening in this life or on this planet.

If I'm a bitch, okay. At least I'm a bitch who still has her phone on her hip.
                              Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Working...
                              X